Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm just praying for the residents and athletes to get out of this unscathed and back to better lives soon.

I know it won't really happen for the Rio locals. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Also, while the torch relay was going through...Rio???...the other night, a group of teenagers literally stole the loving thing and held their own impromptu torch relay that was promptly captured on video. All accounts are that everyone involved had the living poo poo beaten out of them by police.

Also, some of the streets on the new marathon course were not built up high enough and are likely to flood at high/elevated tides.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 1, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Also (and a final one for now), people have already been caught using faked credentials to sneak into hotels and other buildings where athletes are being housed. In one case, a person with a fake Brazilian media credential who was wandering around the hotel housing the Brazilian men's soccer team was only stopped because the hotel staff thought he was acting weird. Either nobody bothered to check him before entering or he was just waved on in.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 1, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TNT has ordered a talk show for Charles Barkley called "The Race Card"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Someone at the Onion wrote this, then deleted it. "nah, too easy" :stare:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That is one of the worst ideas in the history of television. Charles Barkley is like the most criticism proof person in sports but he is definitely gonna say something stupid and gross that makes everyone turn on him.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Ugh I hate when sitcoms make a spinoff of the quirky side character

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

That is one of the worst ideas in the history of television. Charles Barkley is like the most criticism proof person in sports but he is definitely gonna say something stupid and gross that makes everyone turn on him.

Dude's political opinions are already terrible, we don't need more of them

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Gentleman, only one man can bridge the gap and heal the race divide tearing this country apart

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

At least he isn't hosting a golf show

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I'm friends on FB with someone who handles development for USOC, and she had been posting a whole bunch of "stop hating" whenever someone points out that Rio is a shitshow. Can't wait to see what she says when she gets back.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

exploding mummy posted:

At least he isn't hosting a golf show

Don't give them any ideas

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

He already had a golf show.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They need to pivot The Race Card into a NASCAR show.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I hope rio has real problems and it isn't a month of my hotel wasn't that good during my free trip to the olympics aren't I brave and special articles like the Russia Winter Olympics were.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I think there's a pretty good chance of Actually Bad Things happening to People We Care About and not just the usual "poor people were horribly exploited" stuff that always happens with the Olympics or World Cup or whatever any more

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Rio has very real, very major problems.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The open water swim events are going to be held in literal sewage, so...

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Also why would you hope for real problems? :wtc:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Someone make the Olympics disaster already

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Metapod posted:

It's the only way the Olympics will either rotate between a couple permanent sites or better yet be canceled entirely

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Metapod posted:

My hope is that the reporting is accurate and not self inflating personal essays on the way their broken shower represents the broken political system in Rio, the problems will be the problems regardless of my feelings. :mamacita:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The Olympics are an event that is, at this point, both enormously corrupt, and also infrequent enough that small problems with them are forgotten by the time the next one rolls around. Sochi was a hilarious shitshow but within the year it was pretty thoroughly sidelined by, well, everything else.

The thinking goes, the only way you're going to enact real and permanent change in the mechanisms of an organization like the IOC and an institution like the Olympics is by something drastic and dramatic. Rio is looking like the most likely candidate in the immediate future for that kind of thing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

My hope is that the reporting is accurate and not self inflating personal essays on the way their broken shower represents the broken political system in Rio, the problems will be the problems regardless of my feelings. :mamacita:

Did anyone actually do anything like this at Sochi? All I remember is some tweets of broken toilets or whatever

Edit: which Petchesky thought were "hilarious" at the time

morestuff fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 1, 2016

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Update: a Rio police officer has been arrested after he raped a firefighter at one of the Olympic sites.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

morestuff posted:

Did anyone actually do anything like this at Sochi? All I remember is some tweets of broken toilets or whatever

People did write about how the Sochi situation was the result of a hosed up political system and rampant cronyism with the building contracts, but that hardly seems like outlandish reporting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

morestuff posted:

Inspector_666 posted:

People did write about how the Sochi situation was the result of a hosed up political system and rampant cronyism with the building contracts, but that hardly seems like outlandish reporting.

This, plus people have known for quite a while that Russia is pretty hosed up in a few ways.

I can understand being tired of reporters writing puff pieces or "oh look how eloquently I write about the problems in [place]", but Rio is legitimately a war zone in places, and some of the pieces written during the 2014 World Cup only began to scratch the surface.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I hadn't watched Real Sports in a long time, but they recently put up a full episode regarding the Olympics and I thought it was pretty good. It covered essentially three topics, how Rio is going to be a disaster, how Sochi was a huge waste of public money, and how China suppresses dissent and has terrible human rights violations. The overall arching theme was the corruption in the IOC, and how the Olympics are indirectly helping oppressive governments.

I also learned that only China and Kazakhstan sent in bids for the 2022 Winter Olypmics. I guess the only thing crazier than Sochi holding winter Olympics is for Beijing to hold them. I'm sure there's a better place in China to hold the Winter Olympics, but what do I know.

Either way, if you have access to HBO, I'd recommend it. You can see the literal poo poo that people get to swim in next week.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I also learned that only China and Kazakhstan sent in bids for the 2022 Winter Olypmics. I guess the only thing crazier than Sochi holding winter Olympics is for Beijing to hold them. I'm sure there's a better place in China to hold the Winter Olympics, but what do I know.

A big reason for this was that literally nobody else wanted it. Poland and Sweden withdrew early bids because voters basically went nuts and passed strongly supported referendums rejecting the games.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

DJExile posted:

A big reason for this was that literally nobody else wanted it. Poland and Sweden withdrew early bids because voters basically went nuts and passed strongly supported referendums rejecting the games.

Yea, the Sweden part was covered early on in the Real Sports segment. There was a big push to withdraw because so many people see the IOC for the corrupt organization that it is. There was a brief talk at the end where someone suggested that the Olympics go to just one location, but then all the bribes would go away, so it likely won't happen. The FBI needs to take on the IOC like they did with FIFA.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The FBI needs to take on the IOC like they did with FIFA.
The only way that is going to happen is if it turns out that the IOC was colossally stupid enough to route its bribe money through U.S. banks, which is what FIFA did.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

The only way that is going to happen is if it turns out that the IOC was colossally stupid enough to route its bribe money through U.S. banks, which is what FIFA did.

Lmfao I didn't know that

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Maybe a sting operation is needed where LA tries to get the Olympics and offers some bribes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah FIFA was all but begging the FBI to bust them. A first year law student likely could have prosecuted it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I hadn't watched Real Sports in a long time

Nothing to do with the present topic, but I only watch Real Sports when it's on after a boxing match or something else I happen to be watching on HBO. I don't ever actually seek it out, but I never feel like it was time wasted watching the show, even if it's a bunch of stories I really didn't give a poo poo about before watching.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Nothing to do with the present topic, but I only watch Real Sports when it's on after a boxing match or something else I happen to be watching on HBO. I don't ever actually seek it out, but I never feel like it was time wasted watching the show, even if it's a bunch of stories I really didn't give a poo poo about before watching.

It's really an incredible show and I always kick myself for not watching it more.

The story about the girl with no legs who turns out to be Nadia Comaneci's long lost sister is one of the wildest things ever.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Maybe a sting operation is needed where LA tries to get the Olympics and offers some bribes.

They saved the Olympics in 1984

Looks like they'll have to do it again

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

They saved the Olympics in 1984

Looks like they'll have to do it again

Pretty good chance Russia boycotts/is banned from them again too

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Metapod posted:

Lmfao I didn't know that
You have an organization headquartered in the world capital of private, secretive, shady banking accounts (Geneva) and they literally whipped foreign bribe money around through the U.S. banking system.

Shaking
My
Damn
Hhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Just stick them in Greece permanently so we can be spared the nonsense, but also still probably end up with a corrupt and shoddy affair.

Best of both worlds really