Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I read that Eileen book that got long listed for the Booker as promised. It was good I wouldn't say it deserves it but then again I haven't read the other books so this is no new insight v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I too live in a Murakami novel

wtf

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He cooks a lot of pasta while drinking beer and listening to the stones

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the_homemaster posted:

Are you making light of depression? Wow, triggered.

Great stuff keep it coming

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

200 pages of quality posting

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Walt Whitman is real good btw

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

i got to go to the vaults of the folger and see his annotated copy of the sonnets and let me tell you, the man was horny for poetry. we should all follow his example.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I started Middlemarch, a version I suspect is abridged.

I'm 5 pages in so far and I'm appreciating the prose. This is a massive improvement from 10 years ago when I was in high school, where I had borrowed it from the library and in 3 pages become disgusted with the pretensioness and frustrated with lack of plot, and returned it immediately.

Things do get better with age.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

i got to go to the vaults of the folger and see his annotated copy of the sonnets and let me tell you, the man was horny for poetry. we should all follow his example.

verses/cantos (?) 20 thru 30 of Song of Myself make me very horny for poetry, and also horny.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud

This had a great first chapter but the rest of it was about twice as long as it should be, not that good overall.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

skooma512 posted:

I'm 5 pages in so far and I'm appreciating the prose. This is a massive improvement from 10 years ago when I was in high school, where I had borrowed it from the library and in 3 pages become disgusted with the pretensioness and frustrated with lack of plot, and returned it immediately.

George Eliot fuckin rules in general. Read at least one of her shorter novels even if Middlemarch defeats you (which would be a shame cos it's great, but it's not uncommon) (also gently caress it if it's an abridged version, the whole point is the little insignificant details in this vast sprawling picture)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

CestMoi posted:

Salt Shitman would be a good foreums handle

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Mel Mudkiper I have a question pertaining to Aquarium and am curious for your opinion (or anyone's for that matter)

I question the reliability of the narrator. Do you believe this is intentional?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CestMoi posted:

verses/cantos (?) 20 thru 30 of Song of Myself make me very horny for poetry, and also horny.
I'm horny today.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

fridge corn posted:

Mel Mudkiper I have a question pertaining to Aquarium and am curious for your opinion (or anyone's for that matter)

I question the reliability of the narrator. Do you believe this is intentional?

Eh I see no reason to be suspicious of her accuracy. The events she describes are extreme, but that is kind of the point.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

skooma512 posted:

you should get the unabridged version, that book is sooo gooooood. just thinking about the characters and their struggles is making me hella emotional right now...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Eh I see no reason to be suspicious of her accuracy. The events she describes are extreme, but that is kind of the point.

I agree for the most part, but still find it strange to frame the narration as such when it doesn't seem to add anything to the story when taken at face value. Equally extraordinary are the actions of the main character in the face of the extreme events as described, surely beyond the capabilities of most 12 year olds to act with such singular determination that perhaps things have been embellished somewhat. I dont think it adds much to think of the narration as unreliable but still it was something I found slightly distracting and had stuck in my mind since reading it

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

skooma512 posted:

I thought you were talking about Middlesex when I first read this post.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So, uh, Gilead is insanely good and beautiful. lol at me

:sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

I guess Aquarium should be my next book

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 3, 2016

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

fridge corn posted:

I agree for the most part, but still find it strange to frame the narration as such when it doesn't seem to add anything to the story when taken at face value. Equally extraordinary are the actions of the main character in the face of the extreme events as described, surely beyond the capabilities of most 12 year olds to act with such singular determination that perhaps things have been embellished somewhat. I dont think it adds much to think of the narration as unreliable but still it was something I found slightly distracting and had stuck in my mind since reading it

While reading, did you question the mother's narrative of her own childhood?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Beyond sane knolls posted:

While reading, did you question the mother's narrative of her own childhood?

Yeah, of course

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

So, uh, Gilead is insanely good and beautiful. lol at me

:sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

I guess Aquarium should be my next book

Told you so :colbert:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Should I read Kafka on the Shore or We next?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
We

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I haven't read that in a long time but I own it. all I'm reading are russians right now though

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zesty Mordant posted:

I haven't read that in a long time but I own it. all I'm reading are russians right now though

I really don't know what it is with Russians but I always have trouble finishing a translated Russian text

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
It's hard finding a good book to read. If I listen to recommendations from intellectual types, they usually recommend something that's too literary and is over my head. But if I listen to recommendations from the average Joe Sixpack, they'll recommend something like The Hunger Games or Dan Brown stuff. I need something middlebrow, like Jonathan Franzen. (Maybe Franzen is considered low brow by literary types, I don't know.) But it's hard to find a lot of stuff that fits in that middle ground.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know Franzen, but Michael Chabon is my closest conception of American Middlebrow. Yiddish Policemen's Union, and Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, maybe?

You can also try some more accessible classics like Babbitt.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 4, 2016

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't know Franzen, but Michael Chabon is my closest conception of American Middlebrow. Yiddish Policemen's Union, and Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, maybe?

You can also try some classics like Babbitt.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into those books.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

The Dennis System posted:

It's hard finding a good book to read. If I listen to recommendations from intellectual types, they usually recommend something that's too literary and is over my head. But if I listen to recommendations from the average Joe Sixpack, they'll recommend something like The Hunger Games or Dan Brown stuff. I need something middlebrow, like Jonathan Franzen. (Maybe Franzen is considered low brow by literary types, I don't know.) But it's hard to find a lot of stuff that fits in that middle ground.

I think Vonnegut might be the way to go in this case. Easy to read, but not poo poo. Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go is also a good read.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Michael Chabon, David Mitchell, William Boyd, maybe Ian McEwan.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

The Erland posted:

I think Vonnegut might be the way to go in this case. Easy to read, but not poo poo. Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go is also a good read.

peanut- posted:

Michael Chabon, David Mitchell, William Boyd, maybe Ian McEwan.

Thanks.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

What other stuff do you like apart from Franzen? You could give Zadie Smith a go, or maybe Amelie Nothomb - they have good depth, yet are very approachable. Antonio Tabucchi's "Pereira Maintains" reads like a good European movie (and it was made into one!). Also, seconding Vonnegut, although he's much funkier.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Chabon is the poo poo

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

*steven seagal blood bank voice* i'll fit you into the middle ground

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

I would recommend Watchmen.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zorodius posted:

I would recommend Watchmen.

Uhhh

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Watchmen is totally literature, Time Magazine said so! - a cretin

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

All Cretans are liars! - a Cretan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I really don't know what it is with Russians but I always have trouble finishing a translated Russian text

I find translated Russian very readable in terms of clear understanding of the superficial dynamics but teasing out underlying themes and motifs can be difficult at times. Anna Karenina, though, turns out to be an exception because I found that book terribly boring so it wasn't easy to see it through.

The Erland posted:

Vonnegut is amazingly easy to read and one of the few writers that makes me belly laugh while reading a book. Read everything he has written, IMHO. Full disclosure: I have 2 Vonnegut tattoos.