Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yeah if they are being bought up by miners again its not great in the long run (or even the medium run). The 290 thing created a shitload of nvidia fanboys, despite AMD selling every possible card they could ever make

There's definitely some crazy demand. Whether it's miners doing their thing or not, the 480 is out of stock in record time. If it's just being snapped up by miners, though, that doesn't help AMD's problems with mindshare. It's one of those situations where they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MaxxBot posted:

The Titan X is up for sale on the Nvidia website if anyone is crazy enough to buy one for $1200, here's the first game benchmarks I have seen. Looks like it definitely does the job of single card 4k, it gets similar framerates at 4k as my 1070 does at 1440.

http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/grafikkarten/nvidia-titan-x/news-artikel/nvidia_titan_x,1010,3276621.html

I thought about grabbing one but I don't think I will. It's still not really totally there for single card 4K. ~57 FPS average = dips into the 40s or worse. I'd like to see 80+ averages to really be solid for 4K 60 FPS gaming. The Titan will be okay for 4K gamers that are hugely SLI averse, or Richie Rich that is willing to shell out $2700 for two of them in order to get the best of the best, otherwise I think you're better off with two 1080s.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

His response was to say that he likes Intel graphics cards? :???:

To be fair he was talking on the phone to his buddy and probably just said Intel instead of Nvidia. Although his lack of knowledge shows that he might really believe that Nvidia cards are made by "Intel"

So basically more mindshare.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 2, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Green Gloves posted:

To be fair he was talking on the phone to his buddy and probably just said Intel instead of Nvidia. Although his lack of knowledge shows that he might really believe that Nvidia cards are made by "Intel"

So basically more mindshare.

It is a retail store after all. I actually feel sadder for those who do know what theyre talking about.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yeah if they are being bought up by miners again its not great in the long run (or even the medium run). The 290 thing created a shitload of nvidia fanboys, despite AMD selling every possible card they could ever make
It's the same principle as scalping firms electronically auto-buying out tickets for hot events within single-digit minutes of the sales window being open. It damages the vendor's brand and people's faith in the service in the long run.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I just bought a 1070, but own an old i5 2400 3.10 ghz which will probably bottleneck me. What's the recommended processor and mobo these days to go together with a 1070?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Otakufag posted:

I just bought a 1070, but own an old i5 2400 3.10 ghz which will probably bottleneck me. What's the recommended processor and mobo these days to go together with a 1070?

If you are buying new then grab the most expensive Skylake to fit your budget and some fast ddr4

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a 970 on a 3570K and 16GB RAM and while I kinda want new hardware, it's more than adequate for my scrub tier gaming, aka Diablo 3 at 1440p.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gonkish posted:

There's definitely some crazy demand. Whether it's miners doing their thing or not, the 480 is out of stock in record time. If it's just being snapped up by miners, though, that doesn't help AMD's problems with mindshare. It's one of those situations where they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Yeah. I waited for a partner card for weeks and every time I tried to order one it went from in stock to out of stock in under 5 minutes. I eventually just said "screw it" and started looking for anything at all. Interestingly, the card I ended up getting is the reference cooler XFX with a factory overclock. Newegg restricted orders on this one to no more than 2, and shockingly it took a few hours for it to sell out instead of 5 minutes.

I wonder why?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Otakufag posted:

6600K or 6700K. Motherboard depends on if you need of any the extra garbage that makes up the premium price.

Something like this is fine albeit overpriced for some http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W03VR9011

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

axeil posted:

Yeah. I waited for a partner card for weeks and every time I tried to order one it went from in stock to out of stock in under 5 minutes. I eventually just said "screw it" and started looking for anything at all. Interestingly, the card I ended up getting is the reference cooler XFX with a factory overclock. Newegg restricted orders on this one to no more than 2, and shockingly it took a few hours for it to sell out instead of 5 minutes.

I wonder why?

Sounds about right. There basically needs to be a per customer limit on these things if AMD ever wanted to get them in the hands of anyone other than miners. I got the Sapphire Nitro 480 by pure loving luck. It was out of stock in two minutes or less. There's definitely someone snatching them with a bot or whatever.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

afkmacro posted:

6600K or 6700K. Motherboard depends on if you need of any the extra garbage that makes up the premium price.

Something like this is fine albeit overpriced for some http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W03VR9011

Note you'll need new DDR4 RAM if you go for Skylake.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can do skylake with ddr3

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Lapre posted:

You can do skylake with ddr3

This kills the CPU.

quote:

Intel Corp.’s latest “Skylake” processors officially support only DDR3L and DDR4 memory, but there are motherboards for the new chips that can also use DDR3. While the chips can work with previous-gen memory, prolonged usage of such dynamic random access memory (DRAM) can damage microprocessors, according to Intel.

DDR4 memory has default voltage of 1.2V, whereas DDR3L memory has 1.35V supply voltage. By contrast, default voltage of DDR3 is 1.5V. Moreover, some enthusiast-class DDR3 have 1.65V supply voltage. DDR3 and DDR3L are compatible and DDR3 modules will work with Intel “Skylake” processors, however, 1.5V memory voltage can damage integrated memory controller of the central processing unit, according to Intel.

Even if DDR3 works initially on an appropriate LGA1151 motherboard, there is no guarantee that under stress the memory controller will not break down over time, reports Tom’s Hardware.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/anton-shilov/intel-prolonged-usage-of-ddr3-memory-at-default-voltages-can-damage-skylake/

quote:

The propellerheads over at Tom's Hardware Guide were the first to point out that major motherboard OEMs have listed support for non-DDR3L RAM on their boards. Gigabyte is claiming support for DDR3 at 1.5 volts while Asus and ASRock are claiming support for DDR3 at 1.5 to 1.65 volts.

That's just plain wrong. An Intel spokesman told me clearly that Skylake does not support DDR3 or DDR3L at 1.5 volts. It only supports DDR3L at 1.35 volts and DDR4 at 1.2 volts, period, end of story. It's not like your computer will blow up when you turn it on but over time there is the risk of burning out the CPU, so why risk it?
http://www.itworld.com/article/2988195/hardware/motherboard-makes-cause-confusion-around-skylake-memory.html

Lesson #1 of computer building: do not use an electrically incompatible product just because it physically fits in the socket. See also: LGA2011

DDR4 is officially dirt cheap now, just spend $50 and buy yourself some memory instead of burning out a $200 CPU.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 2, 2016

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

axeil posted:

I wonder why?

You're a retailer. Would you rather sell out in five minutes and ship all the cards to a handful of locations, or sell out in two hours and ship cards onesie-twosie all over the country?

I just came here to gloat about buying a pair of used EVGA GTX 970 SSC for $250. I really wanted to buy AMD (RX 470 in particular) this time around, but they could not have bungled their launch any worse.

$200 RX 480 4GB basically isn't real
officially teased Crossfire victory over GTX 1080 in their handpicked benchmark scenario could not be replicated
reference RX 480 8GB is out of stock everywhere
AIB RX 480 cards are overpriced (with AMD's market position, they have to charge less than Nvidia at every tier)
RX 480 PCIe power problems
RX 480 launch day driver issues (stuttering in GTA V)
Linux drivers still suck
Polaris overclocking lolololol

Their media team is apparently incompetent as well. AMD has done a piss-poor job of releasing useful information about RX 470 & 460 (price, release date). They don't seem to be able to steer the media into talking about their strengths (FreeSync, next-generation APIs). Nvidia's GTX 1060 media guide was leaked to the public; does AMD even have media guides for reviewers? When GTX 1060 came out, I was shocked at how many sites performed the exact suite of tests suggested in the Nvidia guide (tests where Nvidia shines, like Doom OpenGL). Where were the sites running reviews where only neutral/AMD-favoring titles (DX12/Vulkan) were considered?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 2, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Hey Hawaii undervolters: What's a sane starting point if I'm really looking for a perf/watt sweet spot? -75mV and 900MHz?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

You're a retailer. Would you rather sell out in five minutes and ship all the cards to a handful of locations, or sell out in two hours and ship cards onesie-twosie all over the country?

I just came here to gloat about buying a pair of used EVGA GTX 970 SSC for $250. I really wanted to buy AMD (RX 470 in particular) this time around, but they could not have bungled their launch any worse.

$200 RX 480 4GB basically isn't real
officially teased Crossfire victory over GTX 1080 in their handpicked benchmark scenario could not be replicated
reference RX 480 8GB is out of stock everywhere
AIB RX 480 cards are overpriced (with AMD's market position, they have to charge less than Nvidia at every tier)
RX 480 PCIe power problems
RX 480 launch day driver issues (stuttering in GTA V)
Linux drivers still suck
Polaris overclocking lolololol

Their media team is apparently incompetent as well. AMD has done a piss-poor job of releasing useful information about RX 470 & 460 (price, release date). They don't seem to be able to steer the media into talking about their strengths (FreeSync, next-generation APIs). Nvidia's GTX 1060 media guide was leaked to the public; does AMD even have media guides for reviewers? When GTX 1060 came out, I was shocked at how many sites performed the exact suite of tests suggested in the Nvidia guide (tests where Nvidia shines, like Doom OpenGL). Where were the sites running reviews where only neutral/AMD-favoring titles (DX12/Vulkan) were considered?

Yeah AMD really fell on their face for this. They fixed the PCIe power problem (and I think the GTA V issue?) but there are still people talking about them. You need to get out in front of this stuff and they're just...not. That coupled with the month+ wait for AIB cards is just :psyduck:. Making matters worse is Nvidia realizing AMD is having some roll-out issues and moving up the 1060 launch and cutting out AMD's knees from under it.

If it weren't for the new FreeSync monitor I got I would've said screw it and just gotten a 1060. If and when Nvidia finally stops its quixotic quest to make G-Sync the standard, there's going to be a lot of people leaving AMD, as for me lack of FreeSync compatibility is the only reason I picked AMD after it all.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

Yeah AMD really fell on their face for this. They fixed the PCIe power problem (and I think the GTA V issue?) but there are still people talking about them. You need to get out in front of this stuff and they're just...not. That coupled with the month+ wait for AIB cards is just :psyduck:. Making matters worse is Nvidia realizing AMD is having some roll-out issues and moving up the 1060 launch and cutting out AMD's knees from under it.

If it weren't for the new FreeSync monitor I got I would've said screw it and just gotten a 1060. If and when Nvidia finally stops its quixotic quest to make G-Sync the standard, there's going to be a lot of people leaving AMD, as for me lack of FreeSync compatibility is the only reason I picked AMD after it all.

It feels like you're saying "If it weren't for NVidia's fatal flaw(Gsync), I would switch away from AMD because they have a lot of other flaws." Clearly NVidia not supporting Freesync is the bigger issue, but you make it sound like AMD is the one with all the problems.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Hey Hawaii undervolters: What's a sane starting point if I'm really looking for a perf/watt sweet spot? -75mV and 900MHz?
1000mhz can do fine anywhere between -37mv to -63mv, and if your ASIC quality is high you might be able to get away with even lower.

Going under 1000mhz is mostly for odd experiments and Hawaii acts strangely if the core clock *and* memory clock is too low, instead of just being unstable when overclocked past what it can do.

Unrelated, the GTX 1070 at the markup $450 is more efficient per dollar than the RX 480 when it comes to buttmining :ironicat:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 2, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

1000mhz can do fine anywhere between -37mv to -63mv, and if your ASIC quality is high you might be able to get away with even lower.

Going under 1000mhz is mostly for odd experiments and Hawaii acts strangely if the core clock *and* memory clock is too low, instead of just being unstable when overclocked past what it can do.

So.... I've got an absolutely poo poo 290 that can't go much past 1000mhz at stock voltages with the power limit increased. I guess I'll just drop it some and iterate. Thanks for the input though!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Should I buy a used Oculus DK2 headset for 60 bucks?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

PBCrunch posted:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...k2&_sacat=14948

Yes, assuming it's not a piece of cardboard someone sharpie'd GOOGLE CARDBOARD DK2 on and taped fake glasses lenses to or something.

(And afaik DK2s are pretty well supported still by the same runtime and everything the CV1 uses.)

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 2, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ninkobei posted:

It feels like you're saying "If it weren't for NVidia's fatal flaw(Gsync), I would switch away from AMD because they have a lot of other flaws." Clearly NVidia not supporting Freesync is the bigger issue, but you make it sound like AMD is the one with all the problems.

I would say AMD failing as a company is a much bigger issue than Gsync and Freesync.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I would say AMD failing as a company is a much bigger issue than Gsync and Freesync.

crap I came off that way. Yeah you're right, it probably is the bigger issue. But for Ax the reason he chose AMD over nvidia was because of Freesync, so to him it is the bigger issue currently - otherwise he would have gone with NvidIA

e: I may be a crummy 2-bit pretend psychologist. i'll let myself out ...

Setset fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 2, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ninkobei posted:

crap I came off that way. Yeah you're right, it probably is the bigger issue. But for Ax the reason he chose AMD over intel was because of Freesync, so to him it is the bigger issue currently - otherwise he would have gone with Nvidia

Yeah. I think I also may have an unrealized AMD bias as every single video card I've owned except my very first (a 3dfx VooDoo3) has been ATI/AMD and I'm a bit hesitant to jump ship after 2 decades.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 2, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Oh yeah right. Well it is compelling, but they wouldn't have to adopt freesync for that to go away, they'd just have to reduce the price of gsync monitors, which would accomplish both gaining and retaining customers. Freesync is a very good reason to look to AMD though

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Oh yeah right. Well it is compelling, but they wouldn't have to adopt freesync for that to go away, they'd just have to reduce the price of gsync monitors, which would accomplish both gaining and retaining customers. Freesync is a very good reason to look to AMD though

True. If G-Sync was on parity with Free-Sync in terms of price the RX 480 would be a much harder sell. Or if you could have monitors that did both, although from what I'm aware of in how the *-Sync solutions differ, G-Sync is an entirely separate chipset you have to embed in the monitor, while Free-Sync is just taking advantage of the DisplayPort Adaptive Sync feature.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

axeil posted:

True. If G-Sync was on parity with Free-Sync in terms of price the RX 480 would be a much harder sell. Or if you could have monitors that did both, although from what I'm aware of in how the *-Sync solutions differ, G-Sync is an entirely separate chipset you have to embed in the monitor, while Free-Sync is just taking advantage of the DisplayPort Adaptive Sync feature.

That's my basic understanding as well. I really have no idea if this is true, but I have a feeling gsync chipsets aren't actually all that expensive though. They may be, it does fit that kind of niche zone, but I have a feeling if they really wanted to they could make them available for a relatively small amount of money and get that price difference way down without much pain. I have no idea though, and for the forseeable future if I want *sync with a video card I like im going to just pony up for gsync. I haven't been able to stomach it quite yet though.

What makes me a little upset is there was a string of 1440p gsync monitors for almost half their normal price like two months ago. It lasted for like, 1 day, and was completely unexplained, and now they cost more. I should have bought one then ($380 dell 27" 1440p gsync was the one I was looking at hard :mad:)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

g-sync is priced the way it is because FPGAs that have actual amounts of caching and computing muscle aren't very cheap (as opposed to freesync, which has the GPU do most of the work determining frame sync) and the only people who bother at the moment are the kind of people who pay $700 for video cards so gsync displays that are any bit decent are priced to match, even though it arguably benefits them less than people with lesser cards.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Ninkobei posted:

G-sync is a strange thing. It's not really a truly premium feature because if you can consistently hit your monitor's max refresh rate, you wouldn't benefit at all. So the people who benefit are those with sub-par video cards for their monitors, which should target value oriented customers. However the G-sync monitors and cards are the best ones out there, and ATI isn't doing anything in the top end.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Unrelated, the GTX 1070 at the markup $450 is more efficient per dollar than the RX 480 when it comes to buttmining :ironicat:

This is the funniest thing. RX480 seems to have all the price and availability issues, and 1070, being readily available these days, is a better deal for mining altogether.

Yet, these clowns are still buying 480s

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Apparently the new Xbox One S SoC is not 28nm but 16nmFF+. I guess that's one SoC contract?

Odd that they're porting Puma cores to 16nmFF, but I guess the bigger potential news from this is that AMD likely has Polaris and Vega designs for 16nmFF+. So wafer agreement for the 400 series and Zen so obligations fulfilled to GloFo for wafer deal, but then go TSMC for 500 and 600 series?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

VulgarandStupid posted:

G-sync is a strange thing. It's not really a truly premium feature because if you can consistently hit your monitor's max refresh rate, you wouldn't benefit at all. So the people who benefit are those with sub-par video cards for their monitors, which should target value oriented customers. However the G-sync monitors and cards are the best ones out there, and ATI isn't doing anything in the top end.

It's not strange because even a Titan X is not near powerful enough to max modern games at 1440/144hz. G-Sync is targeted at the high end. Half of the last page has been talking about how owning the high end of the market helps Nvidia out everywhere, and this is part of it. Even if people aren't buying an 800 dollar monitor today, and even if it makes no sense with their current GPU, it tends to weigh into their purchasing decisions.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 3, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

K8.0 posted:

It's not strange because even a Titan X is not near powerful enough to max modern games at 1440/144hz. G-Sync is targeted at the high end. Half of the last page has been talking about how owning the high end of the market helps Nvidia out everywhere, and this is part of it. Even if people aren't buying an 800 dollar monitor today, and even if it makes no sense with their current GPU, it tends to weigh into their purchasing decisions.

also even if your average FPS is hitting 60/144, you are still going to have enough of a variable workload that you will see occasional dips in all but the most embarassing of cases.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Should I get an RX480 and one of those Samsung PLS Freesync panels?

Keep in mind my current setup is a 40" 1080p HDTV that I'm sitting too close to, it makes streaming difficult as one-display setups always do and it feels a bit too big and bright for my eyes a lot of the time.

I'm sort of nervous about buying a TN screen because I hear Bad Things.

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently anything other than TN doesn't achieve 144?

I don't know why I'm interested in this anyway. Any tech that's going to make me hate console gaming is probably something I should stay away from.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 3, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Keep in mind my current setup is a 40" 1080p HDTV that I'm sitting too close to, it makes streaming difficult as one-display setups always do and it feels a bit too big and bright for my eyes a lot of the time.

I don't know why I'm interested in this anyway. Any tech that's going to make me hate console gaming is probably something I should stay away from.

Are you currently on IPS? If you are on TN and have never used IPS I wouldn't worry about it, as TN panels look perfectly fine (to me) unless you set them at weird angles.

I just got a $200 24" AOC TN panel that's 144hz and has FreeSync but I was coming from an older TN panel so I don't really notice much of a difference. I use the old monitor as a secondary and it works quite nicely. If you're not wedded to *-Sync the 1060 is probably also a good choice or if you're willing to spend ~$100 extra you can get a G-Sync monitor to go with the 1060.

Basically the 480 and 1060 are perfectly fine cards that will make you happy no matter which one you get, the choice really comes down to monitor and if you have/want *-Sync.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PBCrunch posted:

teh_Broseph posted:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...k2&_sacat=14948

Yes, assuming it's not a piece of cardboard someone sharpie'd GOOGLE CARDBOARD DK2 on and taped fake glasses lenses to or something.

(And afaik DK2s are pretty well supported still by the same runtime and everything the CV1 uses.)

Oculus has only committed to supporting the DK2 through the end of the year and their PR people have been making a huge stink about "consumers using devkits" even though probably 95% of the devkits were sold to early-adopter end users who went out and evangelized Oculus' tech for them. They are officially unsupported and you should not count on the official Oculus runtime working with them beyond the end of the year. Someone may or may not take on the burden of writing an open-source driver once Oculus drops it from the runtime, but the writing is on the wall w/r/t the official drivers.

That said, for $60 you might as well buy it, see if you like it, and flip it for booze money or put it towards a Vive or something.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 3, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Craptacular! posted:

FYI, 1080p 37" has been horrible as poo poo ever since the Westinghouse craze of 2006/7. 40" 1080p is even worse and has basically never been acceptable.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The primary reason I was after a 480 was Freesync. If Nvidia supported Freesync I would have grabbed a 1060, because they're (somewhat) easier to find. Honestly, I get why they're promoting gsync (proprietary tech that they control, money, ecosystem, etc.) but it costs them sometimes, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Gonkish posted:

The primary reason I was after a 480 was Freesync. If Nvidia supported Freesync I would have grabbed a 1060, because they're (somewhat) easier to find. Honestly, I get why they're promoting gsync (proprietary tech that they control, money, ecosystem, etc.) but it costs them sometimes, too.

I think at this point, despite owning an Nvidia GPU, I'll probably end up buying a Freesync monitor. You can get good 1440p 144hz IPS monitors for 400 bucks with Freesync. Worst case scenario is I can't use the Freesync that I'm not paying a premium for, best case scenarios are Nvidia at some point supports it or my next GPU in a few years is an AMD.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 3, 2016