Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Office talk: I am in an open plan office with everybody else from accounts (insert Office Space stereotype of accounts here), to sales, to our goddam helpdesk team, and I just use it to work the "I can't concentrate in this environment, I'll work from home" angle. The only person with a private office is the owner of the business because they took a class in how to manage people like it's 1980, and stick to it religiously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have my own private office, suck my god drat ballz
When my last employer was moving into a new space I was initially going to be put in a cube right by the goddamn main doors. I complained bitterly about lack of privacy and sound issues and was told "If someone needs to discuss something sensitive you can go to their office." I asked to have the height of the cubicle walls extended to at least keep the stream of people passing by from eyeballing me as I worked and folks started referring to it as "Fort Trauma."

Luckily a few days before we moved in the CEO saw me trying to clean all the drywall dust from the counters and was surprised I'd be given such a lovely spot. His solution: he gave me my boss's office. :stare:

She worked from home most of the week so it made sense, but it was the beginning of the end for me as she blamed me for being moved. She eventually was given a spot in a shared office but that was not enough to soothe her wounded soul. After I left at first my replacement took over my office, but he was quickly bumped out by her.

I still enjoyed it though. I had a nice view and enough workspace, and for a while I could smile at the CEO booting out my worthless boss for me. I miss having actual office furniture with like, drawers and poo poo.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

adorai posted:

1) titles in banks are often loving retarded
2) do you know the asset size of the bank? usually you can just google <bank name> asset size.

2 billion.

I've heard that a lot of banks are merging now so that they can be above the government's minimums to be considered "too big to fail". I think they're trying to get absorbed so maybe that's why he doesn't care.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
2b is large enough that it makes merging into someone a pain in the rear end. How many branches are we talking? 40ish? I would say at that size they should have some redundancy in their core. We started adding better redundancy around that point in part because that is one of those humps that gets you more regulatory scrutiny.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Here's a question I should probably have learned the answer to a while ago...

When I use my access to the Microsoft volume license site to help myself to software for the home lab, because it's in my company's best interest that I be up to speed on everything I could come in contact with, am I costing my company money? Or that kind of thing would only come up in an audit and since my PC isn't in scope, does it not matter?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

adorai posted:

2b is large enough that it makes merging into someone a pain in the rear end. How many branches are we talking? 40ish? I would say at that size they should have some redundancy in their core. We started adding better redundancy around that point in part because that is one of those humps that gets you more regulatory scrutiny.

We don't manage their branches we just do one off projects for them. We have a client with 45 branches who is valued at 12 billion in assets so I can't even really estimate the amount of branches these guys have.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sepist posted:

Client is a bank and has a core network that's all single devices, one routers one switch, one firewall, one wan router but for some reason orders two palo altos to do threat protection since the ASA doesn't. Our guy installs both but client(director of IT) refuses to provision vlans so we can configure the ha pair and instead says when he wants to fail over he'll unplug the ethernet wires from the first device and move them to the second.....

We're doing a training session with his employees and they freak out about this design, now said customer is denying this ever happened and we installed it wrong. When we ask for vlans to "fix it" he again tells us no and that if we can't do a tcp reset through a span port then we need to remove the palo altos.

I don't even know how some people become directors of IT with this kind of attitude and logic.

We asked him when he's going to add redundancy to the rest of the core and he told us never because they don't need it. Never opening a bank account there.

A board member of a small regional bank referred their IT director to us a year or two ago, wanted to look at us consulting on upgrades and possibly taking on tier 2+ roles when their staff needed. Met the guy and he was nice enough but I viewed their 'datacenter' which was just a room with poo poo stacked on tables and boxes and servers and a giant loving spider web of cables. The word redundancy was completely lost on him, too. In the end I shook his hand, gave him a bit of advice and left. gently caress that poo poo and the regulatory hell it lives in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This week I found out that a bank is using public IP space that doesn't belong to them on their LAN. They have over €1T in assets.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 6, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Here's a question I should probably have learned the answer to a while ago...

When I use my access to the Microsoft volume license site to help myself to software for the home lab, because it's in my company's best interest that I be up to speed on everything I could come in contact with, am I costing my company money? Or that kind of thing would only come up in an audit and since my PC isn't in scope, does it not matter?

I believe this depends on your exact volume license agreement, but most of the time it will not incur any additional cost. Regardless, don't worry so much about costing them maybe $100 a couple of times tops, other companies shell out tons more for formal training.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

This week I found out that a bank is using public IP space that doesn't belong to them on their LAN. They have over €1T in assets.
You'll find it is incredibly common in banks, due to the way core processing service bureaus once worked.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

fishmech posted:

I believe this depends on your exact volume license agreement, but most of the time it will not incur any additional cost. Regardless, don't worry so much about costing them maybe $100 a couple of times tops, other companies shell out tons more for formal training.

Not my company :(

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

fishmech posted:

Well it came to mind as I downloaded SQL Server Enterprise, which can cost a pretty penny. :)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

RE: open floor plan.

It is the loving devil. I hate it with all myheart, but in my last 10 years I have only had 1 customer who did not have an open floor.

It is always noisy, distracting and sucks privacy wise. People harrass you approximately once every 30 minutes breaking your workflow.

I get more done in 3 hours wfh than I would 9 hours at the office.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

It is the loving devil. I hate it with all myheart, but in my last 10 years I have only had 1 customer who did not have an open floor.

It's "cheaper" and "more flexible". And why would the C Levels care? They get offices. :v:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Thanks Ants posted:

I've seen this done before. There's a 25.0.0.0/8 and 26.0.0.0/8 that have been unused by the UK Ministry of Defense that at least one service provider uses as the inside scope of their CGNAT.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Well it came to mind as I downloaded SQL Server Enterprise, which can cost a pretty penny. :)

You can get SQL (2014/2016) Developer Edition, it's free for sandbox/dev/test environments and is feature-equivalent to Enterprise. There's no MSDN subscription requirement anymore.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

adorai posted:

To put in my two cents, I oversee the 9 people at my bank that provide traditional IT related support. Systems and network admins as well as helpdesk.

How many employees do you support? That seems sparse?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

How many employees do you support? That seems sparse?

edit: we also have some b2b clients, but they don't require much effort.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Super Slash posted:

:supaburn: *Furiously working on things*
:v: "Heeeeey can you do me a favour I need to blahbl-"
:supaburn: "I'm far too busy either call the help line or send a ticket to support@company.com"
:v: "Ugh... okay"
:v: *Sends E-mail to superslash@company.com*

:byodood:

I have a folder for these people:

It's where email goes to die.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I like Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark as much as the next guy, but that seems like overkill IMO.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You need an active MSDN subscription or the actual license for the software in order to download it for your home lab. If you have a MSDN account, there is a separate portal to download software. One great thing about MSDN is that any software you download is yours forever even if the subscription lapses.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
:toot:

I'm starting a new job on Monday as sysadmin for a game dev studio. I've spent the last 12 years working in finance, energy and construction so this'll be a real change of pace - just having one office is going to be interesting, and not having to deal with changes when working across 12 different timezones is going to be wonderfully chill.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Cthulhuite posted:

I'm starting a new job on Monday as sysadmin for a game dev studio. I've spent the last 12 years working in finance, energy and construction so this'll be a real change of pace - just having one office is going to be interesting, and not having to deal with changes when working across 12 different timezones is going to be wonderfully chill.

Rip. Everything I've heard about game dev is terrible. It's not star citizen right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cthulhuite posted:

It's crunch time, why are you not working 80-hour weeks like everyone else? You need to be a team player, Cthulhuite!

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

jaegerx posted:

Rip. Everything I've heard about game dev is terrible. It's not star citizen right?

God no, although I imagine they pay pretty well :v:

They're a pretty big studio, and I have the chance to implement a lot of stuff from scratch so I think that'll help. What kind of stuff have you heard?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Cthulhuite posted:

God no, although I imagine they pay pretty well :v:

They're a pretty big studio, and I have the chance to implement a lot of stuff from scratch so I think that'll help. What kind of stuff have you heard?

Crunch time 24/7. Devs dictate to IT. Just make it happen for them even when it's just completely insane stuff. Mostly my friends work in the mmo area so your experience might be different

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

adorai posted:

edit: we also have some b2b clients, but they don't require much effort.

You've got less than a dozen standard-IT roles for the whole organization? I suppose that seems okay but drat I'm sure that keeps everyone busy.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

You've got less than a dozen standard-IT roles for the whole organization? I suppose that seems okay but drat I'm sure that keeps everyone busy.
It's not too bad really. It's mostly branches that are identical and use VDI, which helps.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
farttt

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 23, 2018

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

oh rly posted:

You need an active MSDN subscription or the actual license for the software in order to download it for your home lab. If you have a MSDN account, there is a separate portal to download software. One great thing about MSDN is that any software you download is yours forever even if the subscription lapses.

With the only caveat that you keep the installation media AND the product keys. When I was laid off at my previous company, their MSDN subscription expired and I couldn't login anymore I was SoL.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Does anyone here work with Oracle Identity Manager, IBM Tivoli Identity Manager or Microsoft Identity Manager? I'm trying wrap my head around these products but I'm having a hard time understanding their exact purpose.

I understand what they do but what wouldn't work if they didn't exist?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Tab8715 posted:

Does anyone here work with Oracle Identity Manager, IBM Tivoli Identity Manager or Microsoft Identity Manager? I'm trying wrap my head around these products but I'm having a hard time understanding their exact purpose.

I understand what they do but what wouldn't work if they didn't exist?

They're meant to make things easier. Managing thousands of groups, users, and process IDs is a lot harder without an IDM platform.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

PBS posted:

They're meant to make things easier. Managing thousands of groups, users, and process IDs is a lot harder without an IDM platform.

This can't be scripted? What's a real world scenario of management with one of these tools?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I need to ship some thumb drives containing company proprietary/trade secret information (~16 GB of videos) to two overseas remote offices in Hong Kong and London. Neither of these locations are proper offices, in that we do not actually control any of the infrastructure or have any managed end-points there, so I unfortunately cannot just copy the data to a server there. I'd opt for Bitlocker on the drives but some of the remote users have Macs so we cannot go with a Windows only solution.

My plan at this point is to just encrypt the flash drives and provide a passphrase for an end user to decrypt with. I'm not worried about the data after it's received as it becomes squarely 'not my problem' but I would like to guard against that information being accessible if the drives happened to get lost in transit.

I came across VeraCrypt which looks to be a fork of TrueCrypt, are the thread opinions for or against this? It looks at this point to be one of the better options I've come up with but wanted to see if anyone had better ideas.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Tab8715 posted:

This can't be scripted? What's a real world scenario of management with one of these tools?

It can be scripted in the same way anything can theoretically be coded in house.

They can be used for some of the following,

Self-service (password reset portal, etc), provisioning accounts across unrelated systems (mainframe, open systems, etc), access requests (request/approval workflows), account permissions risk scores (auditing).

One of the bigger draws is probably the potential for self-service. You have everything that can be requested in a single place, all documented. The department/individual that owns that permission can approve/deny the requests without you having to have a team that handles all that.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but that's just a few off the top of my head.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Tab8715 posted:

MIM, at least, can inject directly into Kerberos ticket issuance and adjust identity based on where, how, and when you logged in. Some fancy environments use this to have zero resident members in the Domain Admins group (for example). When someone uses smartcard local auth on one of the hardened DA workstations, then and only then does it inject the DA identity into their Kerberos ticket. If their NTLM hash gets stolen and reused, lookups on it will evaluate the user as not being a DA. You couldn't "script" this one out without writing your own Kerberos auth module which would invariably have thousands of awful bugs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Our exchange admins use FIM for some kind of cross-domain syncing, that's about as helpful as I can be.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For us, the IDM system helps keep track of permissions and accounts required for different responsibilities, where multiple may be active at once, and may have some level of overlap. This allows us to set expiry date on a responsibility for an employee and have just the necessary permissions removed.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
FIM is the devil. But it's the devil you live with if you don't want to pay for expensive migration software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Open office plans are terrible. A few jobs ago IT went from being in their own big office/section with private cubes to thrown out in the middle of the floor. Despite our protests about not being able to secure equipment, constant walk up distractions, etc.

We were ignored and thrown to the wolves. People quit putting in tickets as often instead just walking up to people to request things leading to more stress for the frontline guys as they entered in tickets on behalf of these people, or just got further behind as they had to deal with the people in their face immediately.

And then a few months later a ton of poo poo walked itself out the door, because again we had no place to lock it up anymore. The company's solution was to give us a lockable janitors closet on the other side of the building to try and cram stuff into.

And thats on top of the noise! Lord help you if they don't install some sort of white noise system in an open office. People just start talking over one another gradually until it peaks and you're yelling at someone 4 feet away from you. Then everyone realizes how loud it is and it dies down again for a bit only to raise again and again.