Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Are you going to show the trick to the staircase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
In my experience the correct way to deal with that titanite demon is to snipe it from the balcony.

On that note, I don't think "demon" should be taken literally, since the Demon Titanite description gives them an origin decidedly different from actual demons. They arose from titanite slabs after the passing of the nameless blacksmith deity, and while I assume that's supposed to be "pass" as a euphemism for "die," I prefer to imagine it has the literal meaning and the NBD just scattered them everywhere he went, like some kind of rear end in a top hat Johnny Appleseed.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Siegmeyer. His name is Siegmeyer. :spergin:

To add something other than a nit-pick: I've been quietly watching and enjoying these videos, level design is one of those things most of us only really notice when done poorly, so it's great to hear someone go over when it's done great.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I think some time could be spent looking at the artwork in those bedrooms, particularly the one with the giant knight standing next to, presumably, a human-sized figure. Who is that? I mean, most of the other art makes sense - The busty woman is someone we saw a statue of, there's art of Anor Londo, and some other presumed family members, but this one seems to stand out to me as neither Anor Londo nor being anyone specific.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Golbez posted:

I think some time could be spent looking at the artwork in those bedrooms, particularly the one with the giant knight standing next to, presumably, a human-sized figure. Who is that? I mean, most of the other art makes sense - The busty woman is someone we saw a statue of, there's art of Anor Londo, and some other presumed family members, but this one seems to stand out to me as neither Anor Londo nor being anyone specific.

My guess is reuse of concept art that was sitting around and didn't seem too out of place.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The human-sized figure in the painting could also be whoever was the occupant of the human-sized beds (or one of their family/ancestors). But that doesn't help with who they actually were, I guess. Also, I'm becoming acutely aware now of why they made enemies turn to face you more in dark souls 2.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, how many people here have played Salt and Sanctuary? Like a 2D Dark Souls, down to the riposte system, but with more of a Castlevania navigation system.

I've been playing it seriously for the first time and it's surprisingly good. Merging covenants with how stores/trainers work made for an interesting experience. There are a few times I've run up against a wall in the form of a monster way too powerful to defeat in a straight fight, but one of my creed's rewards were a regenerating pile of poison throwing knives. One place was guarded by loving giant knights three stories tall who hit like a freight train, but about six poison knives took him out.

Combat is a bit faster than Dark Souls, some weapons even have Devil May Cry like launcher moves, but it's precise. I noticed that flintlocks also work like guns in Bloodborne, too, they stun enemies if you blast them while they attack. Pretty sweet.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I really wanted to like Salt & Sanctuary but in the end I just couldn't. It gets worse the farther you go.

The level design starts getting pretty obnoxious (lots of precision platforming that does not play well with the floaty controls, and some irritating blind jumps and falls) and the hit detection can be really sketchy at times, which is frustrating when there are enemies with dashing grab attacks that can easily stunlock you to death. A lot of the boss fights are completely trivial if you have a big weapon and basic rolling skills, and the ones that aren't too easy usually involve really obnoxious projectile spam attacks, which always seem to end up sucking you in if you get caught by a corner of them and then carve off about 80% of your HP. The germ of a good game is definitely there but it needed a lot more tuning IMO.

I'm not really a fan of the art style, either. It's fine in a vacuum but it doesn't fit the mood at all.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

New video is up. And in it, Vicas confuses the aura given by tearstone rings with the lack of aura given by the FAP ring. Well done, though. I always lure that rear end in a top hat up the stairs so his friends form an orderly line to be killed in.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

pun pundit posted:

I always lure that rear end in a top hat up the stairs so his friends form an orderly line to be killed in.

This also has the benefit of making it hard for the sorcerer to hit you.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

You can also bug that fight out. If you run straight to the broken window you use to get to the dragonslayer bow, it's fogged off for you. But the AI pathfinding will open the cathedral doors and go outside and get hosed up by the giant sentinels.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I did say there are several ways to cheese it

Also let's make it official now that my head isn't completely killing me

40 - Alright

And for those of you who like pain/me muttering to myself, an unedited version of all the fights and walkbacks:
Bonus??? - gently caress You Lautrec

pun pundit posted:

New video is up. And in it, Vicas confuses the aura given by tearstone rings with the lack of aura given by the FAP ring. Well done, though. I always lure that rear end in a top hat up the stairs so his friends form an orderly line to be killed in.

ehh, close enough, I kinda figured I was wrong there

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do you use DSCM vicas? i remember thinking the servers were shut down at some point and then i heard otherwise and got dscm and suddenly had bloodstains and messages and signs showing up everywhere

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I like to think that the spearman in that encounter just wanted to fight the boss, but never left to be polite.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
You're playing on PC right? If you use DSCM there's still tons of people online. Messages everywhere, bloodstains, summons, and invasions all over. Anyone running DSCM doesn't need the official servers to connect to anyone else running DSCM. It's literally just an exe and once you launch it and then launch the game it does the rest. If you want to show off any PVP/Co-op content you should use it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, I'm gonna try DSCM next session

HotAndColdAF
May 30, 2011

Making Daddy proud.
Connectivity and conniving rear end in a top hat issues aside, Gough is indeed pronounced with the f sound at the end.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Somehow I didn't do this quest on my first playthrough because I accidentally killed lautrec in firelink shrine.

My 2nd playthrough two-handing the black knight sword (the greatsword, not the ultra greatsword, yay confusing item names) I actually beat this encounter on the first try because the caster died in like two chops with the R1 so I didn't really understand what the fuss was about. I guess really the game rewards shield turtling a lot up to this point and this fight is a real "gently caress everything you know about this game" by giving you both a gank squad of dangerous enemies and punishing shield users.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Alright, it's finally time for the guys. Those guys. Them pals.

41 - It's Those Guys

The budz

(art via semsei on deviantart)

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
You could have killed smough with fireball from range if you'd just switched to your pyro hand, which you had in your other right-hand slot.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

favorite, favorite boss fight. I remember the first time through, just getting my poo poo wrecked over and over again and getting increasingly desperate, running out of humanity from trying to summon help (and constantly being invaded. I alt-F4'd a couple of times. I'm not proud). I don't know if I've ever beat this boss *not* by the skin of my teeth.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In case you didn't know, there's a Dark Souls board game under development, including a huge amount of kickass miniatures. Ornstein and Smoff included.

http://steamforged.com/late-pledge

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

These guys are so badass I wonder why they couldn't link the flame. Do they need someone even stronger than them to collect the Lord Souls?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So is it worthwhile trying to sprint/roll away from that buttslam explosion radius or will that get you caught in the blast?

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
christ my butt cheeks were CLENCHED watching you and smough both on a sliver of health. Good stuff

Crazy Achmed posted:

So is it worthwhile trying to sprint/roll away from that buttslam explosion radius or will that get you caught in the blast?

On my first time playing I sprinted away to avoid that attack cause I thought there was no way in hell a shield would block electricity, so it can be done even if it is riskier. Rolling, not so much. maybe with fast rolls but i could be misremembering how much difference a more agile build would make

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Crazy Achmed posted:

You take extra damage while rolling so if you get it wrong you will feel super bad.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

KozmoNaut posted:

In case you didn't know, there's a Dark Souls board game under development, including a huge amount of kickass miniatures. Ornstein and Smoff included.

http://steamforged.com/late-pledge

Holy poo poo those miniatures are awesome I need this. gently caress you now I'm out $80.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Crazy Achmed posted:

It mostly depends on how fast your roll is and how long the follow through of your weapon is, really. This fight changes a lot based on your equipment, even moreso than most

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

pun pundit posted:

Holy poo poo those miniatures are awesome I need this. gently caress you now I'm out $80.

Yeah, I had to go back and check a couple of times, because apparently you get all of the stretch goal expansions in addition to the base game, which is just ridiculous. Even if you didn't, it would still be a drat good price for a board game of that type.

There are some optional add-ons coming when the pledge manager goes online (Gaping Dragon!), so get ready to shell out some more ;)

£246 for all the add-ons :emo:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 12, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Speedball posted:

These guys are so badass I wonder why they couldn't link the flame. Do they need someone even stronger than them to collect the Lord Souls?

I'm guessing it's because they're not undead and the whole flame linking thing is all about undead for some reason? Later games also suggest that Ornstein is fake and only Smough is actually here, and he's not liked enough for them to give him the chance.

Also it seems most of the other knights aren't around, and you need someone to protect the family home that isn't just some normal silver knight.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That was a fantastic vid Vicas, and I loved the gearing up montage music.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

sebmojo posted:

That was a fantastic vid Vicas, and I loved the gearing up montage music.

My friend suggested Dummy! and cracking souls at 8x speed coincidentally matched the beat almost perfectly so I rolled with it. I'm amazed that sequence worked as well as it did

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm guessing it's because they're not undead and the whole flame linking thing is all about undead for some reason? Later games also suggest that Ornstein is fake and only Smough is actually here, and he's not liked enough for them to give him the chance.

Also it seems most of the other knights aren't around, and you need someone to protect the family home that isn't just some normal silver knight.

This is honestly the point where the game lore starts to get confusing/nonsensical to me. Who is the "they" here? Lordran is essentially totally abandoned. You fight some hollows in the various residential areas, but not nearly enough to give you the idea that this is a place that has been even remotely well-populated in the last few hundred years. Anor Londo is just straight up empty save Magnificent Chest Ahead and a couple other folks, and nowhere else we're gonna go is particularly more populated.

Are we meant to believe that Gwynevere and O&S have just been hanging out in this totally empty castle for hundreds of years thinking "things will totally be better once we do this firelinking thing"? What have they been doing in the mean time? Why do they even care anymore?

There's implications that there's other lands that are still quite populous, but aside from folks becoming undead here and there they're largely unaffected and still have rich cultures. So who exactly is sustaining this enterprise of trying to get an undead to link the fire? It seems like something the rest of the world should straight up not care about. Everything we know of the dire consequences of not linking the fire comes from an origin myth most probably handed down by Gwyn himself, so we can't really assume that that's anything more than him, when he was in Anor Londo, ensuring his subjects agreed with his official position of "yeah dude, I rock, I'm ur god."

By this point, the "motivation" of the player character seems largely pointless to me, just following the quest because that's what the game is about. A hollow pursuit if you will. Maybe that's some sort of sweet meta-commentary, but I'm not sure if it satisfies me.

I'm just not sure if anyone has sufficient motivation to keep bothering anymore. Obviously Gwynevere gives you the quest and is orchestrating things (but how, and through whom? there's nobody of any sentience around any more who she could possibly be passing orders through), but if poo poo's been like this for hundreds of years and she's just been chilling there doing nothing bored out of her mind all that time, why would she really give a gently caress anymore?

Maybe I just haven't found the items whose descriptions clarify this stuff, but it just feels like a big motivational hole in the story.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Okay I can actually explain this stuff. If you want to know what is going on read these spoilers; Gwynevere isn't here, that's an illusion. If you attack her you discover that so is the sunlight, it's actually all Gwyndolin's work. Gwyn's third child was a boy born with an affinity for the moon, which is a feminine trait, and thus he was raised as a second daughter and generally ignored. Gwyn's firstborn did something bad and was struck from history, Gwynevere ran off with a fire god to a distant land and Gwyndolin in his pursuit of his father's acceptance has attempted to rule as his father would want.

Ornstein is also an illusion, as he went off to find the Firstborn, although this is only really discovered in the third game. Smough is happy because he gets to pretend to be one of the knights of Gwyn, which was his dream since forever and they wouldn't let him in because he ate parts of those he executed, I believe he used the bones to make bread. Gwynevere is a fake used by Gwyndolin to make undead agree to do the thing with the Lordvessel, because Gwyndolin is pale and sickly and has a huge mess of snakes for legs. It's all actually just a big con set up to keep the age of fire going, as Gwyn found the fire fading and was afraid of his age ending, thus he sacrificed himself first and kept the fire going for a while but now it fades again and someone else must repeat the process or let it die, bringing forth an age of darkness.

Basically the motivation of the undead is that it's his destiny really, you're the chosen undead and this is what the chosen undead does. So far we've been told to head to Lordran by someone, so we made our way to Lordran, then we get told to ring two bells so we can enter Anor Londo. Now we've entered Anor Londo and made it to the chamber of the lovely princess of sunlight who gives us a new quest to re-unite the lord souls so that the flame may be re-lit so that the curse of the undead can be ended.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 12, 2016

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

"ended"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lord_Magmar posted:

Okay I can actually explain this stuff. If you want to know what is going on read these spoilers; Gwynevere isn't here, that's an illusion. If you attack her you discover that so is the sunlight, it's actually all Gwyndolin's work. Gwyn's third child was a boy born with an affinity for the moon, which is a feminine trait, and thus he was raised as a second daughter and generally ignored. Gwyn's firstborn did something bad and was struck from history, Gwynevere ran off with a fire god to a distant land and Gwyndolin in his pursuit of his father's acceptance has attempted to rule as his father would want.

Ornstein is also an illusion, as he went off to find the Firstborn, although this is only really discovered in the third game. Smough is happy because he gets to pretend to be one of the knights of Gwyn, which was his dream since forever and they wouldn't let him in because he ate parts of those he executed, I believe he used the bones to make bread. Gwynevere is a fake used by Gwyndolin to make undead agree to do the thing with the Lordvessel, because Gwyndolin is pale and sickly and has a huge mess of snakes for legs. It's all actually just a big con set up to keep the age of fire going, as Gwyn found the fire fading and was afraid of his age ending, thus he sacrificed himself first and kept the fire going for a while but now it fades again and someone else must repeat the process or let it die, bringing forth an age of darkness.

Basically the motivation of the undead is that it's his destiny really, you're the chosen undead and this is what the chosen undead does. So far we've been told to head to Lordran by someone, so we made our way to Lordran, then we get told to ring two bells so we can enter Anor Londo. Now we've entered Anor Londo and made it to the chamber of the lovely princess of sunlight who gives us a new quest to re-unite the lord souls so that the flame may be re-lit so that the curse of the undead can be ended.

Ok, but same question basically. Gwyndolin has been hanging out in a crypt for like a few hundred years doing nothing. In all that time he never got bored and thought "gently caress it, time to move on?" Also, I've seen what happens when you kill Gwynevere but it didn't make me think she/the sunlight was an illusion. She's the queen of sunlight so I figured the sunlight went away because you killed her. Where does the running off info come from?

If the whole thing is basically a guy with daddy issues clinging to a land that is full of nothing but people and gods who've gone insane and are no longer rational beings, that's extra lol. The story of the game is basically "lol nothing matters" and you should just be a dickwraith every time.

anthrax
Dec 10, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The story of the game is basically "lol nothing matters" and you should just be a dickwraith every time.

I'd have phrased it differently, but yeah, pretty much. And not linking the fire is pretty much your character going "gently caress this, get your head out of your butts and move on, people!" Bleakness and stagnation is basically the whole theme of the DS trilogy. Although for my tastes they piled it up a tad too much with DS2 and 3.

anthrax fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 12, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Ok, but same question basically. Gwyndolin has been hanging out in a crypt for like a few hundred years doing nothing. In all that time he never got bored and thought "gently caress it, time to move on?" Also, I've seen what happens when you kill Gwynevere but it didn't make me think she/the sunlight was an illusion. She's the queen of sunlight so I figured the sunlight went away because you killed her. Where does the running off info come from?

If the whole thing is basically a guy with daddy issues clinging to a land that is full of nothing but people and gods who've gone insane and are no longer rational beings, that's extra lol. The story of the game is basically "lol nothing matters" and you should just be a dickwraith every time.

Gwynevere is an illusion because she disappears in one hit and fades like the illusion walls.

Now for something different I do so love how everything in Anor Londo has multiple scales. There's things all scaled for the Gods and such, because they're all big and the giants even more so. Then there's stuff for the humans who are of course generally servants. The servants entrance is smaller and less ornate because the servants are literally smaller and less ornate.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I really like the visual design of these guys and the juxtaposition of their armor. Ornstein looks like this badass with jagged spiky armor but it is still very sleek since they run along the contours of it, so it really fits him being the agile one. Smough on the other hand, really goes above and beyond simply being a big burly dude with a hammer. His armor is still ornate and impressive, but still has this underlying body horror that goes far beyond just having nipples and a big gut. The whole head part of the armor really makes you ponder what kind of creature is inside that the armor was designed to protect, and the more you look at it as a whole the more this sense of repulsion really comes to a simmer. It's great.

I mean, you can't necessarily get a super great look at the set when you are frantically trying to not die, but I remember the first time I got Ornstein down and was able to go mano a mano with Smough, and you get glimpses of him between avoiding and your brain keeps alternating between "Wait what the gently caress even is this guy!?" and "Oh god I'm gonna die to this attack." I feel that the souls(borne) series in general does a great job of having half of the tension of bosses being understanding just what the hell you are actually fighting (I call this the Giygas Effect)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I personally really like that Smough's armour is almost all about intimidation. He's not actually that fat and his head isn't even in the head part of the helmet. It has eye-holes right below the face and above the neck and he's actually really muscular based on concept art.

It's also probably meant to be an insult towards him too, considering he wasn't allowed to be the fifth knight of Gwyn for eating people, so they gave him extremely ornate armour that makes him look like a disgustingly fat idiot. Basically he had odious personal habits so they didn't let him join and gave him armour to match.

Meanwhile Ornstein is blisteringly fast, and in general really lives up to the whole captain of the four knights thing.

• Locked thread