Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

"Hmm, yes, I would like a cozy little two-story with ALL THE GARAGE :black101: attached."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

rndmnmbr posted:

"Hmm, yes, I would like a cozy little two-story with ALL THE GARAGE :black101: attached."

I mean, I only really need a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and office; why not devote the rest of my property towards ridiculous workshops and gigantic-toy-storage? I'm only semi-kidding, by the way.

Though that doesn't mean you can't do it more elegantly than that house did, cripes.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I mean, I only really need a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and office; why not devote the rest of my property towards ridiculous workshops and gigantic-toy-storage? I'm only semi-kidding, by the way.

Though that doesn't mean you can't do it more elegantly than that house did, cripes.

I'm in total agreement, the idea is sound, the execution is poor. Maybe a single-car garage for the wife, and a tastefully designed GIANT loving SHOP :black101: behind the house.

But that begs the question, what is a tastefully designed giant loving shop? Especially when having more square footage of shop space than living space, or lawn space, or both combined, is an end goal?

On another note, more crappy realtor tales than crappy construction tales, but:

"Seasonings for your meal tonight will be antacids, laxatives, and multivitamins."

e. One more, and I'll stop.

Because apparently, taking the width of the opening, subtracting the width of the fireplace, and dividing by two is just too damned hard.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 15, 2016

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

rndmnmbr posted:

But that begs the question, what is a tastefully designed giant loving shop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge96Qvp-EzE

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

rndmnmbr posted:

I would actually...

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

rndmnmbr posted:

"Seasonings for your meal tonight will be antacids, laxatives, and multivitamins."

I would say that looks like my grandparents table did before they passed but it's lacking the ten thousand dollars worth of prescription medication to go along with the other stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah my folks dinner table also has a carousel of pills in the middle. :smith:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You read my mind.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Woah, they're boob lights, but they're not boob lights.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Woah, they're boob lights, but they're not boob lights.

Wow.

I want to say that must have been intentional, but that might require more competence than is available to the McMansion builder...

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I found the antidote to the 400lb concrete security apparatus. It was in a parking garage in Crystal City, VA.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I've got a HVAC thread and crappy construction thread tale!

So one of our accounts is for a multi-million dollar steakhouse chain that's local to the area. You'd think they'd wanna make sure everything is up to code and well maintained right?

YOU'D BE WRONG.

These are the cheapest motherfuckers, and have some of the oldest, grossest, most jerry-rigged poo poo out of all our accounts.
So enter their HQ. They work out of a warehouse. Front half is offices, the back half has storage, a few WIC/WIF and a test kitchen.
It looks something like this:

So there's one staircase up. See that wall? There's no way to access the other side when you're on the second floor. If you wanna get up on the other side of the dividing wall, you have to set up a ladder.
Keep this in mind for later.

So I'm there on a call because their main WIF is down. They have 4 seperate systems that run it. 4 condensers, 4 evaps, which is smart, since it won't totally go down if something fucks up., which happened in this case.
They had two condensers down. One was totally flat, turns out it had a leak right at the hand valve at the condenser outlet. No big deal, braze in a new ball valve and drier and it's good to go.

The other one however, had a a compressor that was toast. Okay, this sucks, especially since THIS is the compressor it has:

And the condensing unit is crammed in the corner like so:

So there's about 4 feet of space between the floor and the ceiling. Exactly what you want when lifting a 300lb compressor!

So other great hits of this place include:
An indoor package unit!

So right above the offices they have a package unit that's like 20 years old that the managed to cram in there.
Something like this:

So the condenser fan is totally covered up and inaccessible due to a large section of duct that they placed over it to vent the hot air to the roof. The compressors are also inaccessible since they have it facing the the low side of the roof. In order to replace anything, you have to remove the sides, condenser coil, and ducting for the fan. A compressor went out, we wrote up to replace it, with a split system.

They elected to use their internal AC guy to replace it with another package unit. :suicide:

Now, on the other side of the dividing wall there they have 3 split systems. Each on of them has their condensing unit crammed into the very corner of the roof for maximum inaccessibility.
The airhandlers are somewhat more accessible, but still require a hike across the top of the warehouse to get to.

So naturally, one started leaking, and since the float switches don't work, it overflowed and filled up the auxillary pan. (And the aux float switch doesn't work either) and started dripping down into the office.
Now, a smart move would be to pipe in an additional drainline, and put in a ball valve so you drain the 40 gallons or so of water that built up. Nope!

In this case, you had to vacuum it all up, hike the bucket across the warehouse, navigate your way over a sketchy as gently caress railing, down a ladder, and then pour the bucket out outside.
5 gallons at a time. I was not happy by the end of that day.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why...Why not a garden hose and siphon it out? Or at least down to a bucket?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Option C:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Geirskogul posted:

Why...Why not a garden hose and siphon it out? Or at least down to a bucket?

Because I don't have 300' of garden hose in my truck.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
you can see through along that entire "stair step"

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

This is not getting enough love :swoon:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is not getting enough love :swoon:

Frank Howarth's channel is fantastic.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

ExplodingSims posted:

They work out of a warehouse. Front half is offices, the back half has storage, a few WIC/WIF and a test kitchen.
It looks something like this:

So there's one staircase up. See that wall? There's no way to access the other side when you're on the second floor. If you wanna get up on the other side of the dividing wall, you have to set up a ladder.
Keep this in mind for later.

So I'm there on a call because their main WIF is down. They have 4 seperate systems that run it. 4 condensers, 4 evaps, which is smart, since it won't totally go down if something fucks up., which happened in this case.
They had two condensers down. One was totally flat, turns out it had a leak right at the hand valve at the condenser outlet. No big deal, braze in a new ball valve and drier and it's good to go.

The other one however, had a a compressor that was toast. Okay, this sucks, especially since THIS is the compressor it has:

And the condensing unit is crammed in the corner like so:

So there's about 4 feet of space between the floor and the ceiling. Exactly what you want when lifting a 300lb compressor!

So other great hits of this place include:
An indoor package unit!

So right above the offices they have a package unit that's like 20 years old that the managed to cram in there.
Something like this:

So the condenser fan is totally covered up and inaccessible due to a large section of duct that they placed over it to vent the hot air to the roof. The compressors are also inaccessible since they have it facing the the low side of the roof. In order to replace anything, you have to remove the sides, condenser coil, and ducting for the fan. A compressor went out, we wrote up to replace it, with a split system.

This sounds like all the business parks I've ever seen. Basically giant garages with office walls inside. Are industrial parks exempt from code, because I've seen basically this in all of them. Uneven ceilings, false vents, and built right up against the roof supports.

Climbing around in the ceiling space is like competing in Legends of the Hidden Temple. Climb, crawl, climb, crawl high low high low

all the while making sure you don't put your foot through the drop ceiling.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
My credentials are an EPA universal HVAC certification from an 8-hour crash course. One of the techs couldn't get his type III and he had a trade school and 3 years under his belt. seeing him get smoked after 20 minutes in hot attics was pretty great. how unfortunate to be an HVAC tech and end up being prone to heat stress (because people only call when poo poo's broke and it's hot). It was way too much work but I miss that place to be quite honest.

edit: I realize an EPA universal cert ain't poo poo, and no I don't think I'm hot stuff for passing a test.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 18, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hope this guy makes good money.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In-line switches? Don't see those often around here.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I'm really curious as to what substation that was at. Entergy was turning a lot of them off due to flooding out here and had several more they were anticipating on flooding.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

GreenNight posted:

I hope this guy makes good money.

:stonklol:

Holy gently caress, I just can't stop laughing at the barbed wire... Like, if there was a line on that situation, that would just be the faceplant after sprinting across it

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 19, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm having a difficult time parsing the second half of that comment.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Geirskogul posted:

:same:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Faceplant instead of faceplate

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That...doesn't help? Sorry. I get the first bit, though.

E: VVVV I am writing single to salute and wait for answer again, maybe.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 19, 2016

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In more coherent news, I just stumbled upon this article explaining the origin of the word "scram." Turns out, it (like a lot of cool poo poo) originates from nuclear engineering.

https://public-blog.nrc-gateway.gov/2016/02/18/refresh-putting-the-axe-to-the-scram-myth/

quote:

The NRC glossary defines a “scram” as “the sudden shutting down of a nuclear reactor usually by rapid insertion of control rods.” But where did the word come from?

But he did offer another explanation for the word. His recollection was that Wilson was assembling an electrical panel that included a big red button. According to Nyer, someone asked Wilson the reason for the red knob. Wilson replied you’d push it if there was a problem. “Well, then what do you do?” he was asked. Wilson reportedly replied “You scram … out of here.” The word appears to have stuck.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I'm really curious as to what substation that was at. Entergy was turning a lot of them off due to flooding out here and had several more they were anticipating on flooding.

Not really related, but it's a headline from Entegy's PR website.

I really hope their crews aren't conducting. :ohdear:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Geirskogul posted:

Sorry, blame Swype and my dumb brain. I was in a rush to leave and just spewed word vomit all over the page.

Meant to say faceplant, in the context of adding barbed wire to such an excessively dangerous situation was just one step way over the top. I can wrap my head around the rest of the dangers, but for whatever reason, the barbed wire just makes the while thing seem even more ridiculous.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Update on post guy: Last I heard from our GC, the engineer we used is almost so fed up with the dipshit customer that he's ready to...retract the engineering, I guess you would say? Mr. I Know Better Than The Engineer is going to cost himself another $500 in permit/engineering fees OR get his $900 deposit back less the $500 he already spent. I'm sick of this rear end in a top hat and I want his money, but I want him to be gone so bad I'm willing to eat $400 since the service department runs ridiculous profit anyway.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Geirskogul posted:

In more coherent news, I just stumbled upon this article explaining the origin of the word "scram." Turns out, it (like a lot of cool poo poo) originates from nuclear engineering.

https://public-blog.nrc-gateway.gov/2016/02/18/refresh-putting-the-axe-to-the-scram-myth/

That it comes from/was popularized by nuclear reactor emergency shutdown procedures is pretty well-known, the uncertainty is over the etymology (which is what that article is actually about). Also apparently the word predates nukes, so, um, yeah, I'm going with that article's explanation.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sorry, not "origin"-origin, but origin in the way we use it today re: nuclear power plants.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

rndmnmbr posted:

I'm in total agreement, the idea is sound, the execution is poor. Maybe a single-car garage for the wife, and a tastefully designed GIANT loving SHOP :black101: behind the house.

But that begs the question, what is a tastefully designed giant loving shop? Especially when having more square footage of shop space than living space, or lawn space, or both combined, is an end goal?

I'm seriously considering building a coachhouse style barn-house with a lofted 1-2 bedroom living space above a 3 car garage + workshop area.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm seriously considering building a coachhouse style barn-house with a lofted 1-2 bedroom living space above a 3 car garage + workshop area.

:patriot:

This is the dream, right here. Who needs "conditioned" spaces anyways? Just hang a hammock in the corner and call it a day!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

A hammock and a fan can be quite comfy, but garage and workshop smell in your home all the time? Where do you cook in this scenario?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

NancyPants posted:

A hammock and a fan can be quite comfy, but garage and workshop smell in your home all the time? Where do you cook in this scenario?

Name post combo... :haw:

On a Coleman stove in the corner, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I could see a bbq deck adjacent to the bedroom space working in summer months / mild climates.