Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Might I recommend On the Road?

American Gods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

End Of Worlds posted:

American Gods

https://youtu.be/Cg-DWc9nPfQ

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ras Het posted:

The Idiot is definitely Dostoyevskys best novel once you realise that the agenda that drives C&P, Karamazov and The Devils is extremely trivial

idk i think the novels work as novels as well as philosophical/political polemic

dostoyevsky is rare in his ability to make the polemic work for the novel rather than feeling tacked-on or straining, the only guy i can think of who pulls it off as well is hugo

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

V. Illych L. posted:

idk i think the novels work as novels as well as philosophical/political polemic

dostoyevsky is rare in his ability to make the polemic work for the novel rather than feeling tacked-on or straining, the only guy i can think of who pulls it off as well is hugo

Sure, I can agree, but The Idiot does have a different sort of humanity to it

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

No offense but I'd much rather read Hugo than Dostoyevsky. Like I get that Dostoyevsky is deeper and that a large part of my trouble with Russian Lit is just translation but I've tried Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, and Demons (or whatever title you give it). His work just seems so dense and I just get bored.

Maybe it's just me?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I thoroughly enjoyed the Brothers K although I can't really tell you why. When it ended I felt like it was just getting started

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think Brothers K was originally sketched out as a Part 1.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ras Het posted:

Sure, I can agree, but The Idiot does have a different sort of humanity to it

i think prince myshkin is a more complicated character than most of D's usual cast - he is normally very happy to just introduce a bunch of basically one-note archetypes and let them talk it out. the prince, in particular in his interactions with rogozhin and the mad love story going on, is much more complicated and that makes it easier to identify with him imo

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

No offense but I'd much rather read Hugo than Dostoyevsky. Like I get that Dostoyevsky is deeper and that a large part of my trouble with Russian Lit is just translation but I've tried Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, and Demons (or whatever title you give it). His work just seems so dense and I just get bored.

Maybe it's just me?

dostoyevsky is vast, like russian steppe. we must always come back to russian steppe, and to the pointlessness of lives without the god we killed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mind i read the idiot in french for Reasons and that's a language i really don't master so my reading will have suffered a lot

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

dostoyevsky is vast, like russian steppe. we must always come back to russian steppe, and to the pointlessness of lives without the god we killed

Oh good I'm confused again

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Got If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Calvino. Really liked invisible cities

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that that book is really fun and kicks rear end. Please enjoy

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

david crosby posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that that book is really fun and kicks rear end. Please enjoy

Good enough for me

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Maybe it's just me?

I got way more bored with wordy Hugo spending an entire quarter of Les Mis to describe the minute details of the battle of waterloo than I ever have reading C&P, which I'm doing now. Parts of it feels so positively modern, like the dream sequence, or even in the beginning before it's clear what Raskolnikov's plan is. The morality/ethics do seem more tacked on though, where the action suspends so that characters can go on talking academically in a way that parallels the situation really obviously. I'm going to read the idiot soon but I have to finish chekov's stories first-- I'm reading A Dreary Story right now which is incredible.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

david crosby posted:

imo it's a really funny and interesting novel that you will enjoy immensely if you don't think of it as split into main narrative and incipits, and instead think of it as one cohesive whole which is constantly reordering and reconfiguring itself according to the particular demands and impact of each chronotope. also pay attention to what ludmilla is asking for.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I've probably said this before but Dostoyevsky is absolutely not dense to me, he's chaotic and often a mess, but that's different. Those books are enduringly popular for a reason, they're not just Thick Classics

read Chekhov doe

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I think that all you Fedya Fans might enjoy Hjalmar Söderberg's Doktor Glas. Just sayin

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Ras Het posted:

I've probably said this before but Dostoyevsky is absolutely not dense to me, he's chaotic and often a mess, but that's different.

This makes total sense, yeah.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Zesty Mordant posted:

I'm reading A Dreary Story right now which is incredible.

Yeah, this one's a real gutpunch. It was the story that really made me love Chekhov. The narrator's analogy between lecturing and taming a hydra still stands out to me. Also, Chekhov's ability to draw complete portraits of even minor characters is just amazing--the college doorman, for example.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the_homemaster posted:

So I'm going to Tulsa, New York and Boston.

Any good fiction suggestions?

Unfortunately no fiction is permitted within any of these places by law

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Burning Rain posted:

I think that all you Fedya Fans might enjoy Hjalmar Söderberg's Doktor Glas. Just sayin

Doktor Glas owns so hard

Also read August Strindberg

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Strindberg is funny because after his marriage with Sigrid went tits up, he turned into an utter goon

a_young_doctor
Aug 11, 2007

this is africa
Just finished the first part of Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. Does this book get exciting at some point? I think it's a great book so far, and I like the depth of the characters, but it certainly hasn't been a page turner.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

a_young_doctor posted:

Just finished the first part of Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. Does this book get exciting at some point? I think it's a great book so far, and I like the depth of the characters, but it certainly hasn't been a page turner.

The Dark Wraiths show up in part 3

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zesty Mordant posted:

I got way more bored with wordy Hugo spending an entire quarter of Les Mis to describe the minute details of the battle of waterloo than I ever have reading C&P, which I'm doing now. Parts of it feels so positively modern, like the dream sequence, or even in the beginning before it's clear what Raskolnikov's plan is. The morality/ethics do seem more tacked on though, where the action suspends so that characters can go on talking academically in a way that parallels the situation really obviously. I'm going to read the idiot soon but I have to finish chekov's stories first-- I'm reading A Dreary Story right now which is incredible.

i entirely disagree that the ethics are tacked on, the ethical conflict is the core conflict driving the novel - the philosophy is necessary, because without a philosophic rationalisation a man like raskolnikov would never become a murderer

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

V. Illych L. posted:

i entirely disagree that the ethics are tacked on, the ethical conflict is the core conflict driving the novel - the philosophy is necessary, because without a philosophic rationalisation a man like raskolnikov would never become a murderer

I'll step back a bit on that, I was thinking mostly of the time where Luzhin grills raskolnikov on some essay he wrote, and the conflict is kinda laid out for you. Rodia's reaction to being grilled about it though, and all the other times he has a personal crisis about it (that dream/memory with the horse he relates early on is brutal) is very integral.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

a_young_doctor posted:

I didn't really like the book much though I love Russian literature from that time. About the only part I really loved was the description of the harvest - it was a great passage.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I didn't really like the book much though I love Russian literature from that time. About the only part I really loved was the description of the harvest - it was a great passage.

That steeplechase tho...

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Thread's opinion on Will Self?

A friend of mine was giving away some stuff before he moves tomorrow and I got a copy of Umbrella. It looks really dense and I can barely find any spaces to stop in it.

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Got If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Calvino. Really liked invisible cities

I like that book a lot. There are some very funny moments in there, and some wonderful writing. It's one of those books where I can't quite tell if the overarching structure doesn't work or if I don't understand it. I think I like Invisible Cities more. Mr Palomar is my absolute #1 top favorite Calvino, though.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I have lots of brick-like books in my backlog but the other day, unwisely, I decided on a whim to pick up 2666 cos I still hadn't read it and I thought I should actually read something from the 21st century. Finished the first chapter yesterday. It's pretty good. I would have thought I would dislike a story about academics and their love triangles featuring long dream sequences, but it's surprised me so far. I don't like when the dialogue gets overtly literary though.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

As I've probably mentioned before (because I keep talking about the same books), the first part of 2666 is a weird cover version of Savage Detectives and makes most sense within a bolaņistic universe

Correct ranking of the parts: 5 > 1 > 4 > 2 > 3

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Thread's opinion on Will Self?

A friend of mine was giving away some stuff before he moves tomorrow and I got a copy of Umbrella. It looks really dense and I can barely find any spaces to stop in it.

I've seen him on TV and I've read his articles and I'm absolutely not gonna read any of his books

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ras Het posted:

the first part of 2666 is a weird cover version of Savage Detectives and makes most sense within a bolaņistic universe

I was going to ask if it was at all emblematic of his work. Guess I'll be digging out some more of his stuff at some point

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I finally finished My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk. Very good book, though over-written in certain parts. Very dense with art history that went over my head, but the story-telling, constant shifts in perspective/narration between the distinct characters, and playfulness with the Whodunnit format really make this book shine.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Overwriting is cool

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Ras Het posted:

As I've probably mentioned before (because I keep talking about the same books), the first part of 2666 is a weird cover version of Savage Detectives and makes most sense within a bolaņistic universe

Correct ranking of the parts: 5 > 1 > 4 > 2 > 3

4 > 5 > 1 > 3 > 2

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

3 > 5 > 1 > Peace Walker > 2 > 4

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I liked Amalfitano's eerie derangement a lot more but otoh I don't think I really got what the Fate part was parodying

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Ras Het posted:

I liked Amalfitano's eerie derangement a lot more but otoh I don't think I really got what the Fate part was parodying

The Amalfitano part is really good, it's just so short that I don't think it builds to anything crazy or obscene like the rest of the parts do.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

a_young_doctor posted:

It never quite becomes a page-turner, but I feel like Anna's last scene is one of the best-written and most memorable passages of all literature.

Oh by the way, I got Aquarium from the library and just started it, so Vann strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I finished By Night in Chile a while back and while I still don't think I understand it fully, there were parts especially towards the middle/end with the author and her house parties that were interesting. At some point I'll pick up Savage Detectives but I'm putting off 2666 for now.