Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lechtansi posted:

I thought that drops were upgraded when you augment? I upgraded one of my pupus to 4*and my drops are still 3*

Caps out at 3*'s for drops.

In the case of getting that last ability upgrade on your 4*, the 'best' thing to do, is to get two 3*'s with a level 3 ability, and then 3 more with a level 2 (or three at level three, but they takes more luck/farming, so why would you do it that way?).

A level 3 3* has 35% fusion chance, compared to 5% for level 1 and 10% for level two. Since you can max out at 5 to work with, you're looking at a minimum of 12 3* pupu's to get the success on the fusion up to 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

Caps out at 3*'s for drops.

In the case of getting that last ability upgrade on your 4*, the 'best' thing to do, is to get two 3*'s with a level 3 ability, and then 3 more with a level 2 (or three at level three, but they takes more luck/farming, so why would you do it that way?).

Three level three pupus takes 18 cards, 2 level 3s and 3 level 2s takes 21 cards, hopefully you havent wasted too many cards doing it the wrong way.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fenris13 posted:

Three level three pupus takes 18 cards, 2 level 3s and 3 level 2s takes 21 cards, hopefully you havent wasted too many cards doing it the wrong way.

I think you're assuming 100% combines? So, 3 cards for a single level 2, right?

At 50% with as common as the fodder cards are, I'm willing to flip the coin for the chance to come out ahead overall. Statistically, it's an average of 18.5 then, and that's still assuming 100% combines in the 2->3 range as well.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

At 50% with as common as the fodder cards are, I'm willing to flip the coin for the chance to come out ahead overall. Statistically, it's an average of 18.5 then, and that's still assuming 100% combines in the 2->3 range as well.

This does not make any sense at all,, and even if it did, you could use the same logic in arguing for making a level 3 card with only 4 total cards, instead of the minimum of 6 you need for 3 level two cards.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

CaptainPsyko posted:

Sure it makes sense if this were gacha+ fodder. When going from 4 to 5 or 5 to 6 you need 14 cards per level to get to 100%. If you just put five of the bare bones though you get 50%. Rolling the dice on succeeding a coin flip over three tries isn't really that nonsensical for a common drop.

But you are doing fodder + fodder which is less strict.

Tangent but going further down the gacha+fodder combine path:

It looks like 6 to 7 and 7 to 8 is 25 cards a level? Man what a grind. I've definitely rolled the dice on the 25% there for some of the more spammy fodder.

And if that isn't enough, in the far future we get to enjoy gathering 44 cards per level after that if you want 100%!

I suspect most JP players probably started using that moogle item around that point, or just ate ability tickets.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 15, 2016

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Any reason not to go hog wild with bronze openers on panel 3 for my black mage?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Erdricks posted:

Any reason not to go hog wild with bronze openers on panel 3 for my black mage?

not really unless you want to hoard them for the next set of jobs

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
There's a useful table here for looking up how much % each level of card gives:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MobiusFF/comments/4xck1j/ability_levelling_tables_most_efficient_number_of/

Although the pupus aren't on there if you're looking for level 4->5 since they're support non-gacha cards.

I already leveled my cards so this is going off memory but I think the level 4->5 upgrade uses the same % as the gacha with dropped cards

I think his recommendations all give 100% skillseed, but there's some instances where you can use the same or fewer cards to get 100% ability chance but not skillseed chance (assuming you're always keeping your (max skillseed - current skillseed) = (max ability - current ability)

koolkal fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 15, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah you can see some talk in those comments about people who just roll the dice. I think that's the route I'll take at this rate. The grind is brutal.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:siren: If you chain hits in a combo you generate more orbs.

I had no idea :stare:

Goes 1-2-3 orbs, so try to do ability-combo, or combo-ability, don't do it in the middle if you can avoid it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My world just crumbled when I looked at the future panels for the current jobs and it's all stuff I didn't level :(

The hunter is actually supposed to be a fire class RIP

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Here's a pretty handy spreadsheet of all the available cards and if/where you can find droppable monsters to upgrade them.

For some of these, you can buy the card for 3 tickets in the shop and then upgrade them fully without much trouble. Others would be very grindy and slow, and some impossible at the moment.

I've been extremely conservative with my tickets so far, but this gives some idea of what's 'safe' to be cheapo on.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/196r-v70Ph3nG9jZqEYmwiyR05lLw5Ud38_BRpRF9hOQ/edit

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I guess I'll start to play this game now, it doesn't look terrible. Brave Exvius is a gateway drug I guess.

Distilled Magicite no longer (or is about to stop) expires, right? This is what makes this game okay to play for me.

Added myself to the spreadsheet.

Rainbowbeard iOS 20bd fe48 2dde Sylph

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Right, it no longer expires. Just have to collect it every 16 hours (or less).

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Yeah you can see some talk in those comments about people who just roll the dice. I think that's the route I'll take at this rate. The grind is brutal.

As far as gacha games go, the ability leveling system in Mobius is the most transparent I've played. You know exactly the odds of getting a level up and you can choose to grind more for the increased chance or roll the dice. Compare to Puzzle and Dragons where skillups are completely percentage based and you can fuse dozens without getting anything.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

cirus posted:

As far as gacha games go, the ability leveling system in Mobius is the most transparent I've played. You know exactly the odds of getting a level up and you can choose to grind more for the increased chance or roll the dice. Compare to Puzzle and Dragons where skillups are completely percentage based and you can fuse dozens without getting anything.

Yeah the grind in this seems long, but it also seems very measured - you're going to make progress if you're conservative, and they give you a lot of options for progression. You can 100% f2p it and be very frugal with your tickets, you can buy maxed cards, or maxed un-ascendable cards for cheap, you can roll for cards, or whale out, or some combination of the above with the reasonably priced monthly box.

I don't like the amount of inventory management it takes though. The UI handles it, just, but multi-card fusion to achieve a target skill/seed level could be handled much better.

Still, it's cool that you can go 'ok I'm going to work on seeds for X job, and skills for Z and Y cards while farming to ascend A B and C monsters'.

You don't have that level of control in a lot of other games of this type.

And tip of the moment: Your support ability usage in autobattle seems to prioritize leftmost to rightmost (with rentals being farthest right). Minor, but could help with a little optimization for farming.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
One thing I wish the game would let me do is convert orbs to an element I couldn't draw. It should be enough of a handicap that I can't draw without locking me out from a card I invest heavily in.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'd kill for fusion events though personally. Why aren't we getting Mobius day too?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Rascyc posted:

My world just crumbled when I looked at the future panels for the current jobs and it's all stuff I didn't level :(

The hunter is actually supposed to be a fire class RIP

It's still early days, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm just upgrading my mage stuff one at a time right now although I found a good farming spot that throws up blizzard and the warrior fire sword so I augmented both to double farm.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
How do you unlock panels on jobs? Or is that shown past the cockatrice(or Chimera) I think I am maybe half way through act 1. Because doing the pupu event I have already got a gang load of the element things even after I unlocked everything I know how to unlock on page 1 so I would love to get working on page 2.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I finally have the PuPu score setup down and it is just as amazing as advertised. I'm routinely hitting x12 multiplier.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

cirus posted:

I finally have the PuPu score setup down and it is just as amazing as advertised. I'm routinely hitting x12 multiplier.

Care to share?

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

cirus posted:

Honestly I'd just like a PuPu setup that I can run on autobattle without high risk of death. ever since Rank 26 I have at least a 75% chance of failure on autobattling.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Erdricks posted:

Care to share?

As Knight: bring in one of the Warrior aoe (burst/blast) abilities. Beat up the first floor while building up orbs of the aoe color, then use the aoe ability to fully red-out the break bar of the enemies on the second floor. If the enemies die before you can do that, try using an aoe ability that matches their color--warrior abilities inflict break damage even if they're elementally resisted.

Anyways, pop Gigant if you have it, then use your limit break. Easy 500-900k score, depending on if it crits. Beat up the UFO and collect your skillseeds.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Dana Crysalis posted:

Honestly I'd just like a PuPu setup that I can run on autobattle without high risk of death. ever since Rank 26 I have at least a 75% chance of failure on autobattling.

Are you running on hard? I run my knight through the water pupu stage on normal with a 4 star kirin, enstone and 2x enwater and end up with a 200k score autobattle pretty consistently, no threat of death. I picked this stage because I wanted water seeds, but doubling up on an enelement and taking a strong attack card will work for any pupu stage.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Still lost in how to open new panels. But I think my starter "loaner" is maxed so maybe it can help someone. Friend code is 2023-94da-02a6. Add me for a good time.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Does the ever-increasing cost of friend tickets for the cactuar pull ever... back down or at least stop going up? This system's rapidly becoming worthless.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Patware posted:

Does the ever-increasing cost of friend tickets for the cactuar pull ever... back down or at least stop going up? This system's rapidly becoming worthless.

It caps at 50 tickets per pull, so five days of friend tickets if yours gets used often.

Putting up a -force card is a good way to get friend tickets later but right now I'd say either a support like Drain or Attack Boost or a 4* pupu will get you max tickets per day.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Rafza posted:

It caps at 50 tickets per pull, so five days of friend tickets if yours gets used often.

Putting up a -force card is a good way to get friend tickets later but right now I'd say either a support like Drain or Attack Boost or a 4* pupu will get you max tickets per day.

I've had my fully-unlocked Ifrit up that I got from the beginning card draw up and it's been maxing me out but I'm gonna switch to a support as soon as I don't get 10 tickets.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
OP has been (partially) updated. I need to get more in-depth with skillseed farming but most information is up there now. Let me know if I forgot or missed anything!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
TLDR on skillseed farming:

Skillseeds received = (skillseeds on your cards) * (stage difficulty bonus) * (score bonus). The best way to rack up skillseeds is to pick a stage that you're confident you can clear at 5* difficulty (putting low-level cards on your team to deflate your level if you have to) and can hit a score breakpoint at the lowest possible stamina cost. Relevant score breakpoints are 100k, 200k, 500k, 1m.

The gold standard is Teleport Shrine in Chapter 2, where you can easily hit the 200k score breakpoint in autobattle for 6 stamina. That said, right now the Pupu event is probably where you want to be. At low player rank or high job development, the 4xx stages can be autobattled for 200k/5 stamina. It's difficult to guarantee 200k on the earlier stages, but 100k is easy and you get better gil/3* drops compared to the Teleport Shrine. If you want to farm manually, it's hard to beat the Knight/Warrior limit break pupu strategy, which can guarantee 500k/1m. Just remember that the most optimal skillspeeds-per-stamina option may not actually be optimal if it forces you to slot colors you don't need.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Rafza posted:

OP has been (partially) updated. I need to get more in-depth with skillseed farming but most information is up there now. Let me know if I forgot or missed anything!

Good update thank you op. Also I am up to 8 summon tickets so I should pull a job right? Also the 2nd panel on the starter classes, is this opened by buying the class in the lower corner? I only have 3 of the Crystal things so I don't want to waste them.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

xyigx posted:

Good update thank you op. Also I am up to 8 summon tickets so I should pull a job right? Also the 2nd panel on the starter classes, is this opened by buying the class in the lower corner? I only have 3 of the Crystal things so I don't want to waste them.

yes, also you will be drowning in crystals after clearing chapters 1 and 2, i have 20 and i've got a few jobs on their 3rd/4th boards, so go nuts imo (if its a pulled job, i don't think the starter jobs are worth it tbh)

Reiterpallasch posted:

TLDR on skillseed farming:

Skillseeds received = (skillseeds on your cards) * (stage difficulty bonus) * (score bonus). The best way to rack up skillseeds is to pick a stage that you're confident you can clear at 5* difficulty (putting low-level cards on your team to deflate your level if you have to) and can hit a score breakpoint at the lowest possible stamina cost. Relevant score breakpoints are 100k, 200k, 500k, 1m.

The gold standard is Teleport Shrine in Chapter 2, where you can easily hit the 200k score breakpoint in autobattle for 6 stamina. That said, right now the Pupu event is probably where you want to be. At low player rank or high job development, the 4xx stages can be autobattled for 200k/5 stamina. It's difficult to guarantee 200k on the earlier stages, but 100k is easy and you get better gil/3* drops compared to the Teleport Shrine. If you want to farm manually, it's hard to beat the Knight/Warrior limit break pupu strategy, which can guarantee 500k/1m. Just remember that the most optimal skillspeeds-per-stamina option may not actually be optimal if it forces you to slot colors you don't need.

wow thanks, i'm just gonna c/p this into the op if that's okay, this is way better than what i was gonna write

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
A day later than most, but I got my gift box bought, now I'm trying to maximize the pupu Knight farming setup. Is that done on normal or hard? Got that answered above, thanks. I get utterly wrecked on hard right now, even fighting manually (and I'd LIKE to think I'm not stupid, but...). Any particular tricks besides bringing a strong heal and playing smart to manage that first round? I'm playing Knight based off of the Onion Knight job, and only have the board partially worked out (no elemental starters, picked up the attacks and breaks, though). I've got about 60 ability tickets right now, so I'll probably be buying a maxed burst attack of whatever flavor I need.

If it helps, here's my current setup:

- Knight
- Blank Blade Bis <- used over Brotherhood for the extra Break Power.
- Water Pupu (Lvl 17) <- using this as a leveling slot, not necessarily for whatever skill I need.
- Yuna (Lvl 21) <- I don't have her third extra skill unlocked yet.
- Geryon (Lvl 21) <-My forced draw, has done decent work thus far.
- Empty (Been switching stuff in and out to mess with levels, but nothing set in stone yet, similar to the experience bonus slot)

I got Mage and Dark Knight in my job summons, but Knight's been my go-to for most of everything.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Slot a 4* Pupu of the color you're farming, if you have to/have a use for the skillseeds: they have a passive which reduces incoming damage of their color by 25%. Always use a defensive Drive on the first turn, even if it's just one orb--all the pupus will attack on the first enemy turn. Pupus which are dancing are guaranteed to multicast on their next turn, so kill them first if you can one-round them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The friend tickets might as well be a login bonus. I can't imagine ever not getting 10 since a lot of people are probably using Quick-rental when auto farming.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Just remember that the most optimal skillspeeds-per-stamina option may not actually be optimal if it forces you to slot colors you don't need.

Yeah I wish Hades wasn't pure dark seeds, this is my only complaint :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rascyc posted:

The friend tickets might as well be a login bonus. I can't imagine ever not getting 10 since a lot of people are probably using Quick-rental when auto farming.

Yeah I wish Hades wasn't pure dark seeds, this is my only complaint :(

If you can be assed to level it, the Drain dude from the trials area gives some other seeds. Fire/wind maybe?

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Varance posted:

Not only that, but these are the -ja attacks (AoE + 2 hits on the primary target), which are currently not available via the card shop. Upgrading them from 2* to 3* will get rid of the Lesser in their name, allowing you to use them as a fusion component for their store-bought equivalents once they come out. For example, Fire Dragons are used to upgrade Amazon, which is able to upgrade to 5*.

In general, an efficient grind looks like this:

1) Get the 2* boss cards to 3*, maxing them out while you farm mats. Remember to level cards and/or use hard mode in the config to boost difficulty, or you won't get jack for skillseeds during the farming process. This is bad.
2) Slowly push the monster drop cards from 1* to 3*, feeding them duplicates as you go to build seed/ability level. I recommend starting with the cone AoEs to help with groups of monsters, or cards that you already have duplicates of to keep inventory lean.
3) Once a monster card is at 3*, it drops as 3*, which you can then use to upgrade store-bought cards with the same ability name without burning ability tickets. Stick the original monster card that you've been upgrading in the bank for later.
4) Sloooooowly upgrade your store-bought cards to 4* using Growstars. Unless you're willing to whale hard (the cheapest is 1000 free magicite + 3000 purchased magicite [$19] and 400k gil for two cards), you'll probably be depending on event rewards to do this.
5) Assuming the store-bought card was maxed out when you upgraded it to 4*, you should be able fuse the original 3* monster card that you previously built up and stashed in the bank during the farm process for an easy 100%/100% upgrade. The last ability upgrade is going to have an extremely low chance at happening unless you either A) build up a couple of 3* monster card for fusion or B) use ability tickets.
6) Revel in your newfound power. Put unneeded 3* monster cards on auto-sell to generate extra gil.

This grind is going to take for-ev-er, so get your auto-battle on to save some sanity.

Why the hell would you want to go through this? A) 4*/5* generate waaaaay more skillseeds, something you will need for job panels 4 and onward B) skill cost decreases by 1 for all abilities at 4*, and by 2 for AoEs at 5*), C) higher rarity cards sell for more (once you've gotten bosses to 3*, you should never need to specifically farm for gil again).

Note that event cards can be upgraded in the same fashion if the attack name is the same. The same is true in reverse, which is why you can feed UFOs to Gusion to effectively max boost it for free during the PuPu event. The main differences between an event card, a drop card and a store card with the same ability are 1) how high you can upgrade the rarity and 2) what ability bonuses the card gains.

Also, it should be noted that you can't upgrade any earth-based cards to 2* or any fire-based cards to 3* right now without either spamming Adept Arena for Emet Stones/Unliving Stones or shopping for Emet Stones/Molten Cores/Unliving Stones (need Chapter 3 for those in the wild). All mats EXCEPT for Molten Cores drop from the last boss of Adept (1* ->> 2*) and Master (2* ->> 3*) Arenas. The downsides are that you won't be farming normal mob cards in the Arena, and you're going to need some well developed classes and cards to withstand Master Arena. That said, the arena route is the quickest if all you want is the typical play for 15 mins and out experience.

PS: Gusion is still an extremely relevant card in the current JP meta, and you are smart if you use UFOs to upgrade it now. Same goes for all of the Force cards. Generating huge amounts of a single element are how you effectively use -ja cards to deal massive damage. Unlike the shift cards, force cards also provide a resistance boost toward the opposite element (if a boss is Earth elemental, you use Windforce to both generate wind orbs to wreck it and extra defense against earth attacks). Bonus points for the store-bought version refunding the cost once you have the added effect unlocked.
Thank you so much for this post.

I'm about to augment my first 2* boss card up to 3*. Should I try to max out the level, skillseeds, and ability level of the 2* first?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Definitely the ability level. If you look a few posts after that one, he'll explain why more specifically (it's point #5 in the original post)

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Man, for all the complaints I had on cards and this and that, listening to the protagonist is THE WORST.

• Locked thread