Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

HotCanadianChick posted:

They're a lot like the guys who buy a 600 to only ride it on public streets, TBH. Not able to really use the bike to it's proper potential.

An SV650 naked or a Ninja 650 or DRZ-400SM are all much better bikes on the street than any 600 supersport.

Yeah but do their 600s have banana seats!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PaintVagrant posted:

954 is a pretty bike, but the f4i has all the power Ill ever need for road riding. For the track, I would rather have something similar powered or slower to be honest. I dont get these dudes who buy an R1 for the track to ride in novice/intermediate.

954 is not really a viable track bike considering what else you could get for less money. Plus they're heavy as gently caress and feel like it.
I really just want a clean one for the novelty of it.

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah but do their 600s have banana seats!?

Banana seats loving rule.
Honda is best bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

954 is a pretty bike, but the f4i has all the power Ill ever need for road riding. For the track, I would rather have something similar powered or slower to be honest. I dont get these dudes who buy an R1 for the track to ride in novice/intermediate.

The answer to that is it's much easier to do... to a point. Liter bikes let you run squared off lines, be lazy about gear choice, etc.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

The answer to that is it's much easier to do... to a point. Liter bikes let you run squared off lines, be lazy about gear choice, etc.

Where is the fun in that?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Trackdays aren't a race... eventually you realize that there is no point in pushing to the point that you crash and start to enjoy just being there. Or you move to start racing (lighting money on fire).
This is the point that you realize poo poo like the Superduke 1290, Tuono, etc is pretty much loving gold. Fast as gently caress, suspension that supports the power, comfortable riding position, and lots of leverage from the dirtbike style bars to make hard turn-in a joke.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 12, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

954 is not really a viable track bike considering what else you could get for less money. Plus they're heavy as gently caress and feel like it.
I really just want a clean one for the novelty of it.

Wait, what? IIRC they're lighter and have a better P:W ratio than the CBR1000 they got replaced with?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Geometry :science:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I dunno what Charlie's talking about, the sadder, fatter 929 I had was a wonderful trackbike. That was the bike I used to ride to trackdays on.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Wait, what? IIRC they're lighter and have a better P:W ratio than the CBR1000 they got replaced with?

:tviv: The 1000RR is 10lbs heavier (wet)
I was just coming off a 600 when I got to the 954 so that's probably why it felt so heavy?

Looks like I'm just going to have to get one, and give it a fair re-evaluation.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
uhhhh....

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/5716299874.html

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

"Purchased A Harley"

That's one hell of a transition.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Maybe it's a harley with a twin stage turbo and a bigger nitro tank?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You could fit a lot of nitrous in a bagger case.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I'm still searching for a "Child owned" listing.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Fishvilla posted:

"Purchased A Harley"

That's one hell of a transition.

He says he's 50 so he's probably getting old man pain syndrome.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I haven't seen many of them but I recently got the chance to push a 954 around the shop quite a lot and I've been genuinely surprised how light it feels. For a leader bike.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I see what you did there.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've been doing more looking, but still haven't bought yet. Yes, the triumph is out. The yamahas all look like they're out. I'm thinking maybe I'll do the klr, but it's really very tall and uncomfortable. But what about the g650gs? How are they reliability wise? The low seat height and fuel injection turn me on, as well as the price.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
08+ G650 engines are manufactured in China from the same Rotax design they built in Austria for the earlier models.

I'd look for a nice older F650 with the Austria motor. They are tanks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

08+ G650 engines are manufactured in China from the same Rotax design they built in Austria for the earlier models.

I'd look for a nice older F650 with the Austria motor. They are tanks.

:dogbutton:

This is very good to know.

It's so hard to find a cheap, off road capable but still good on the road, bike that short people can ride. Ugh. I'm really trying to avoid the KLR, since I had bad experiences on the old model, but damned if I can't seem to find anything else.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Oh they also have G650 twins that are really downtuned 800cc motors. I have no idea about those.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, I just tried a KLR again - no way that's gonna happen, especially not up in the mountains and in the dirt where I spend my time. I could hardly touch the ground with my toe while it was on the kickstand, so I know I'm gonna drop it when I have to stop on Geiger Grade when some idiot gets scared and blocks up traffic.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah, I just tried a KLR again - no way that's gonna happen, especially not up in the mountains and in the dirt where I spend my time. I could hardly touch the ground with my toe while it was on the kickstand, so I know I'm gonna drop it when I have to stop on Geiger Grade when some idiot gets scared and blocks up traffic.

It takes a lot less to get used to a tall bike than you might think. Basically every bike that's decent on dirt has a seat height of 35+ inches. The betas are less, I think, but probably a little bit more performance oriented than you're looking for.

I have an xchallenge (G650X) and it's tall as gently caress and it took me two days to learn to just put one foot down and after that it's fine. You can still dab if you need to when you're riding in dirt, but particularly as you get better you'll find it's less and less of an issue.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Get a nx 250 :) Short enough atleast. They seem to exist in the us, found one at a random craigslist(can you even search that nationwide?, we don't use that site over here) https://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/5699264874.html

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nah, 250s won't do it. Commute is an hour each way. Freeway, VC, dirt roads.

My CB500x was good, and I might just get another, but I was really hoping upgrade to something with more power and better dirt capability. But not break the bank.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

You've probably already looked at it but what about the Vstrom 650?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Schroeder91 posted:

You've probably already looked at it but what about the Vstrom 650?

Looks like a good bike! But everyone says it is poo poo in the dirt. An important factor.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Looks like a good bike! But everyone says it is poo poo in the dirt. An important factor.

Come buy my xchallenge.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just rode my Vstrom 1000 for 20+ miles on a dirt road on 90/10 tires and it was fine. If you're doing a dirt road and had appropriate tires it'd probably be fine but if you want to do actual off-road then I dont know about the 650. I wouldn't recommend it on the 1000, heavy fucker and you have to change the sprockets from 17/41 (stock) to 16/43 for good power off-road and riding over hills and such.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Schroeder91 posted:

I just rode my Vstrom 1000 for 20+ miles on a dirt road on 90/10 tires and it was fine. If you're doing a dirt road and had appropriate tires it'd probably be fine but if you want to do actual off-road then I dont know about the 650. I wouldn't recommend it on the 1000, heavy fucker and you have to change the sprockets from 17/41 (stock) to 16/43 for good power off-road and riding over hills and such.

It's just a lot of washboard and deep grave, plus some very thick sand, with lots of mud and water in the winter. By CB500x did it fine with some upgrades, though I lost a bunch of fork seals.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

Oh they also have G650 twins that are really downtuned 800cc motors. I have no idea about those.
The twins are all F models, not G. Older F models were singles. G is a relatively new naming convention and only refers to singles. The F650/700/800 twins are great midsize bikes. The engine is boring but smooth and has an ok amount of power.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's just a lot of washboard and deep grave, plus some very thick sand, with lots of mud and water in the winter. By CB500x did it fine with some upgrades, though I lost a bunch of fork seals.

Ah. I would imagine the Vstrom would hold up if the cb500x did, but with sand and mud you definitely want lighter.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mr. Wiggles posted:

DR650?

My father in law has a Husky TR650 that he loves. I've ridden it a bit, and it's got excellent road manners. It doesn't feel like a 650 at all on dirt, either. Plenty of grunt for high speed, good torque for slow poo poo, hills, and ruts.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

DR650?

My father in law has a Husky TR650 that he loves. I've ridden it a bit, and it's got excellent road manners. It doesn't feel like a 650 at all on dirt, either. Plenty of grunt for high speed, good torque for slow poo poo, hills, and ruts.

Yeah, that's what I have - g650 xchallenge is the same bike only with BMW branding (and lighter because husky made bad swingarm construction decisions). It's amazing at going fast on dirt and it's fine on the highway. DR650 is another good option, although its carbed vs. fi if that's a thing you care about. On the other hand, it's a ton cheaper.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
What do goons think of Nighthawk 750s? Dunno if I'm just getting bored or the Ninja 250 sucks in Chicago - uncomfortable leaning on my wrists in stop and go traffic, and an hour plus highway in any direction to get out of traffic, where twisting the throttle does pretty much nothing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
If you're looking to upgrade, I think you can get something way more interesting than a Nighthawk 750.

I mean they're probably fine bikes but they don't seem to be really outstanding in any way. Not really a sport bike, not really a cruiser, kind of heavy. I bet they're pretty reliable though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

builds character posted:

Yeah, that's what I have - g650 xchallenge is the same bike only with BMW branding (and lighter because husky made bad swingarm construction decisions). It's amazing at going fast on dirt and it's fine on the highway. DR650 is another good option, although its carbed vs. fi if that's a thing you care about. On the other hand, it's a ton cheaper.

I care deeply about the fuel injection, as I ride deep into winter and also go over serious altitude change every day. Like I live at 4500 feet and go up to about 7000 feet for my daily commute. That was the other thing turning me off about the KLR. If the DR650 had fuel injection, though, I'd probably get one.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

If you're looking to upgrade, I think you can get something way more interesting than a Nighthawk 750.

I mean they're probably fine bikes but they don't seem to be really outstanding in any way. Not really a sport bike, not really a cruiser, kind of heavy. I bet they're pretty reliable though.

Maybe I'm a huge bike hipster POS but I don't like cruisers, just want a bike I can sit up straight on and ride for several hundred miles comfortably. Ideally I'd get a V-Strom but gotta be cheap as poo poo right now.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I live at 4500 feet and go up to about 7000 feet for my daily commute.

Where do you live/work?

That particular elevation range isn't especially problematic to jet for. I live at 5000 and have my bike jetted such that I can easily get above 10,000 before things get irritating. Power kind of falls off above about 9,000, but I can still get pretty decent acceleration in any gear at normal highway speeds up to at least 10,000.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

don't seem to be really outstanding in any way.
Yeah.

quote:

kind of heavy.
Yeah.

quote:

pretty reliable though.
Except for their starter clutches which go out and require splitting the cases to fix.