Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I'm not a schizophrenic this is a real book

It sounds loving dope

I remember reading the gently caress out of some series in elementary school where there was like a troll teacher who was really mean and she died by falling out a window maybe? Or the students killed her or something, I don't know. But then the rest of it was like weird Twilight Zone poo poo but with a weird borderline-twee tone to it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remember having a book with realistic, trippy paintings of aliens and information about how their biology might work. I would love to find it again, the art was really cool.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
When I was a kid (mid-late 80s) I had this book of horror short stories, and for years I've tried to remember the name of it. I remember that it had a really generic title--something like Terrifying Tales or just Horror Stories. The cover just showed some creepy looking dude. The only part of any of the stories that I recall is one in which a kid rides his dirt bike (or possibly a bicycle) off of a cliff and breaks his neck. The book describes his head being twisted all the way around on his shoulders. I think he comes back to haunt his friends or something. Maybe chases them around with his neck all hosed up.

The book was similar to those Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books, but the stories were far more intense, from what I remember.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

MachineryNoise posted:

I remember a horror anthology I once read as a teenager. The only story I can recall very well involves a kid in the hospital for some minor ailment, but the other patient in the room is scheduled to have his foot amputated. He switches the charts around so that the main character gets sent to surgery. I think it ends with the main character going under because nobody believes him. There were stories about evil circus clowns and some monster in a field too.

I'M NOT MARTIN

that was an R.L Stine short story collection, "The Haunting Hour."

one of those scary stories for sleepovers books had a story about a sentient creature made of water just wrecking these kids at a local pond, that I only remember because it was kind of implied the monster could appear anywhere there was water and also had it in for them, so they were like hm so no swimming no showers no rain no drinking well gently caress and then it just ended.

oh wait I actually do have a couple I don't remember fully. there was a mute kid at this girl's school and she wasn't really that close to him but then he died and she also became mute for some reason. I read like a quarter of that and then a quarter of this story about a bleary eyed alcoholic going through a confused series of disconnected incidents with drugs and prostitutes in a dirty urban environment that probably shouldn't have been in a 10th grade English class. possibly bukowski?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
there was a lady
and the lady had a neighbour kid that was a cripple
and the cripple kids dad was a serial killer
and there was a dog with psychic powers
the dog might have been an alien, also
i think there was some rape in there
and then the serial killer dies in a house fire at a hoarders house and the psychic dog alien taunts him moments before he succumbs to smoke inhalation by saying "god isnt real fag lol"
and they live happily ever after

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

AWarmBody posted:

I definitely read the first book! As a third child myself, it brought me a delightful terror to read.
It's called Among The Hidden.

Was going to say Ender's Game.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

canpakes posted:

The hawk tree one is "my side of the mountain"

I read that poo poo.

Also Lost on a Mountain in Maine and Hatchet. I loved those kid survival books.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I plowed through so many garbage books as a child

-one where a girl has telekinetic powers, she owned her bitchy babysitter by cleaning her room with her mind while arguing with the babysitter about her room already being clean. babysitter marched in there and it was clean and owned, adult

also she was telepathic, she saw a neighbor's cat not looking so good and said "Hello, cat, are you sick?" and the cat was all "Yes you stupid loving human, I'm in pain"

saved the cat by telling the owner some bullshit. I remember the name of this one, "the girl with the silver eyes," because she had silver eyes and the author wasn't subtle about pointing it out

- something about a girl and a cooler girl, and the cooler girl was wearing a ratty rear end pair of fake lashes everywhere? So the less cool girl hid the lashes. felt like it was set in the 70's, and cooler-girl had a cooler-mom and cooler-house

- something about a group of teenage dudes who were all getting in trouble at school. schools didn't allow shorts but skirts were ok, so they all wore skirts to school. they bought designer jeans (I think this was set in the 80's) but hosed up the designer labels to make a statement. They were definitely a group and the whole book was about them loving with the school administration

- some girl-specific book where the less cool protagonist made friends with a super cool girl, and the whole book was super cool girl doing dumb poo poo, and at the end she dies because she "did drugs" and then fell out a window.

- some other similar book where a girl feels sick so she keeps popping aspirin like an idiot and ends up overdosing. might have been the same book.

-some book where there's a mysterious girl and it turns out she's a werewolf, and a pentagram is "the symbol of her people," but silver burns her skin. Werewolf people had a tribal thing going on.

I could do this for hours, it's been forever, and most poo poo books I only read once, but good books I read over and over and remember the names of, generally.

some idiot kids run away and find and empty train car and manage to successfully not die, they get adopted like, immediately, by a rich dude, and he has the car stuck in the backyard

it was bullshit, I wanted to read about kids surviving for years in a boxcar

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
some african story about a guy holding in his poop in his rear end for a week/month/year cuz of reasons, and then a spider crawled into his rear end, or out of it. Pretty good story actually.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not gonna read the thread to see if someone already mentioned it but I read a book about a kid caught in a time loop where he tried to groundhog's day it up and make the world a better place in order to escape it, and then it turned out he was just forgetting to brush his teeth

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Around 4th grade I read some book set in the US in like the early or mid 1800's or something. I think the premise involved some teenage kid being sent to a new homestead or property or something in order to fix or build a cabin, ahead of the rest of the family arriving like a year later or something. Since I guess that's a thing that makes perfect sense in the 1800's or whatever. I think the kid was alone, maybe had a dog. I distinctly remember the character got really excited over the idea of installing greased paper windows in the cabin.

What was this loving book.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

A book about some guy who really wanted to go out and fish for a manta ray or something that had killed his father and taken his pearl or something.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

There was this book called The Eyes of Kid Midas that was about some dumbass kid that kept getting relentlessly pranked on by some much stronger boy. On a camping trip or something he was apparently taking with his aggressor, he comes upon a pair of sunglasses sitting in a beam of light on a plateau like a burning bush. He throws them shits on like any desperately uncool teen, and soon realized his new hater blockers have properties. He makes wishes, and they are granted, and everything goes real great until it gets to the point where everything he thinks immediately comes true and he glasses fuse themselves to his face. He tries to cut them off with hedge clippers to no avail, they are a part of him. The book climaxes with him laying in a bathtub full of freezing water in an attempt to deprive the glasses of the energy they need to tear the world apart based on the whims of his adolescent brain while they're just ruining everything. I do not remember what happened after that. Kind of a weird book for kids.

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 17, 2016

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Serious Frolicking posted:

there was this fantasy novel where an evil d&d party had to bring back evil because good was too successful and the world was so unbalanced that it was going to be destroyed. also the head good wizard was a rapist?

Hitler Did Nothing Wrong

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Serious Frolicking posted:

there was this fantasy novel where an evil d&d party had to bring back evil because good was too successful and the world was so unbalanced that it was going to be destroyed. also the head good wizard was a rapist?

dragonlance

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 17, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
can anyone remeber this book

it had this goofy kid who wanted to be an artist but he had a very strict dad

later he goes to war but is backstabbed

then he goes to space

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016
There was this one Goosebumps, I LOVED FEELING THE EMBOSSED COVER, book where like the kid buys a Polaroid camera at a pawn shop or something and all the pictures of the people were of them before they died.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

canpakes posted:

What is this one you fuckers

do they live in their aunt's attic

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
there was this book about a blue woman with a gem for eye who had a huge dick

Kang Wang
Aug 16, 2016

Hogge Wild posted:

there was this book about a blue woman with a gem for eye who had a huge dick

I want to read this one!

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
MY PALE GOTH SKIN, I think the one about the kids and the boxcar was The Boxcar Children. I remember being disappointed as well. I was expecting something grittier.

KiteAuraan, maybe you're thinking of The Black Pearl. Also, my phone had the first contextually-appropriate autocorrect suggestion of its life because it wanted to rename you to LibrArian.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i read a really sick book as a kid and i can never remember the title. it was about a virus that wiped out all of humanity, except kids over 12 years old. the story is about a 12 year old girl and her 8 year old brother trying to survive in the new "Lord of the Flies" world with roaming gangs of children.

after they began starving they manage to find a food supply warehouse. using this food they are able to create a gang/army and turn a highschool into a fortress. eventually the book ends with an envoy from "the emperor of new york" coming to tell them about the coming invasion, 300 style. what is the name of this book?!

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Quoted the wrong post, but the book about the marble shooting girl, was probably Maniac McGee

Toughy fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 17, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I vaguely remember a couple from 3rdish grade.

There was one about this family that bought a bunch of farmland but it turned out they got swindled and the last was straight down like a well, but it turned out to be more fertile than the guy they bought it from farm and he was salty.

Another about a nurse or doctor of something and she would cure kids of bad habits with odd and interesting methods.

The last about a school where the plans where wrong and instead of being built on the ground it ended being built straight up like a skyscraper.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
One of a kid who's best friends with someone who is an alien in disguise and they swap bodies with alien tech.

One where the cafeteria of a middle school are run by some kind of evolved monster bug people that served deliciously addicting food made from bugs. I think they killed it with mustard of all things.

In the high school library, a book called MOJO or MOJO something about a gay black guy and some bum of a white guy living together as a couple of martial arts wielding down on their luck types end up into some bigger things, one is the white guy nails a black woman and gets that gay black man seal of approval. Not making it up, I swear.

Dystopian future with mass pollution but lots of tech (90s idea of not too distant future). Overall air quality is bad for the protag, and it becomes a thing where it almost kills him. Some non-religious antichrist of a guy is going to be elected, and the protag has a job that sounds kinda technical, but I think essentially a computer program that profiles people to a frighteningly accurate degree. The sake of the profile is to seek out flaws and other bad poo poo to dissuade having this guy elected. The protagonist almost gets a blowjob from an ape. Name was something like at lands end or something. Could be way off.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 17, 2016

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

Rurea posted:

i read a book that was like some girls diary except she like did lsd at a party once then instantly became a crackwhore who traveled around homeless and hosed up her life. she was like 14. it was for girls and poo poo.

Go ask Alice.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The White Mountains blew my mind when I was a kid and the sequels, City of Gold and Lead and The Pool of Fire also blew my mind.

If Hollywood wants the real "Next Hunger Games" they'll stop wasting their time with this "Divergent" crap and make the Tripods trilogy into the next big budget blockbuster.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Toughy posted:

Quoted the wrong post, but the book about the marble shooting girl, was probably Maniac McGee

Thank you, sounds like it

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Juvenile science fiction novel, 1970's or before. A boy makes a loving wooden crate or similar into a spaceship and flies into space (maybe to the moon or another planet, I forget).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A horror anthology about "true stories of evil nature" and one of the stories was about a lady who fell down in her garden and vines grew around her neck and she was strangled to death.

In the same book there was a story about a guy who had "angered the winds" and got kidnapped by tornadoes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A girl who flies into space in a ship with no canopy because it turns out there's air in space but nobody bothered to check. I wanna say it's"Akimbo" but that returns no results.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Oh, here's one that's been bugging me for a while:

It's a picture book. The kind that's really big where every page is a full page picture.

This kid is friends with an eccentric inventor who builds robots. The kid goes to visit the inventor but accidentally falls into the head of the inventor's latest giant robot and activates it.

It goes on a clumsy rampage through the city and I don't remember how they stop it, but the inventor's robots all fix the city up in a few hours and later the giant robot turns out to be the baton twirler in a robot parade.

Drives me nuts that I can't find this book. Iirc the art was very good and the robot designs were super cool.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Len posted:

Another about a nurse or doctor of something and she would cure kids of bad habits with odd and interesting methods.

You're thinking of Mrs. Pigglewiggle. Also, the one with the Dolphin Twins is the third book in the "Double Trouble Squared" series, I bet. I forget what the title is.

E: Also, a friend of mine forgot the name of some weird book he read as a kid. Some of his extended family are librarians, and they couldn't figure it out. I asked my boss the bookstore, and he remembered it. The librarians were all pissed because they didn't find the title and I did.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

gentle pete posted:

I remember having a book with realistic, trippy paintings of aliens and information about how their biology might work. I would love to find it again, the art was really cool.

theres a few pages out of a nat geo space book circa 1980 or somethin that are like this. a teacher had it i think idk i def read it

just clearin out some jovian fart rats, brb

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015

Geirskogul posted:

A kid can turn invisible, and he uses it to incestuously grab his aunt's tits or something? Also the book is multiple stories from different members of the family y that can go invisible, as generations pass, I think.

Seriously messed with my 10-year-old head.
Pretty sure this is One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
Didn't read everything (anything) in the thread yet, but the first thing that popped into my half remembered head was the adventure books by WILLARD PRICE.

Can't remember gently caress all about them apart from how they are a kind of Wilbur Smith book for young cunts, and how one of the main characters ended up with his hand in a leopards mouth but the leopard didn't eat it because it was a test of trust and then the leopard and the boy were best mates after that.

I've done the same thing with a few dogs since, and it hasn't let me down. Yet.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i read one of the space odyssey books i don't remember if it was 2010 or 2100 or 3000 but they had a monolith/life on enceladus or maybe it was io?

regardless for the longest time i thought being in an ocean under a thick sheet of ice thats being churned around and heated interally due to tidal foces was the coolest fuckin poo poo but this was way after everyone stopped giving a poo poo about science education and i just got called retarded because theres no life outside earth idiot and it won't happen on some cold rock. stop thinking about it cause its not important

i think i might have even had a teacher tell me that jupiter was the only planet with big moons too

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
I read a book with pretty cool black and white illustrations where a kid ran away from home to live in a haunted house or something. Every day was a whole year and he got magic powers. I remember it being pretty dark for a kids book.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Xenophanes posted:

Pretty sure this is One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Turns out it was Fade.

Seriously, he kills his cousin, has incestuous rape with his aunt, spies on rich bitch twins showering and doing each other, and kills a drug lord. gently caress that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I couldn't even tell you the central plot but I vividly remember my teacher reading a book where one of the B plots was this store owner having a piece of rope outside his shop that was all knotted up to the point where it was described as being the size of a basketball or something similar. In the third act (I'm pretty sure after the actual plot is resolved) the main character comes in and its described in pain staking detail the process of undoing this knot. There may have also been a pig in the book at some point but I'm not really confident on that.

I often wonder about the significance of the knot. Was it just a wacky element in a lighthearted kid's book or was it perhaps a deeper metaphor about the futility o man's desire to accomplish something great in life?

• Locked thread