Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
How expensive are practice spaces where you are?

Where we practice/jam costs £22 all in for 4 hours, PA and aircon included, can borrow cables, mics etc for free if needed.

I guess the situation is different if you guys are renting your own unit?

A paid gig is something you'll probably have to wait for, most of my mates' bands are generally grateful to get their fuel paid for and maybe a free pint. They rent a shipping container for themselves and have to rehearse and write stood in a straight line, not ideal. Unless you're in an indie/pop covers band who do weddings or whatever in which case you'll be comparatively raking it in soon

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Also, if you're getting paid for music, be clear about the split between the band mates.
The guy who is hustling and running the business side of the band (booking shows, coordinating schedules and dealing with clients) should probably take a larger cut compared to the dude who is just showing up on time.

If you don't work out the details of that beforehand, there will be resentment.

My dad played in a locally successful band where one dude was running the band full time. He was great at lining up gigs and took a larger cut because of it (because 15% of something is better than 20% of nothing). They did original music gigs either cheaply or almost free, and made good money doing cover band stuff at parties (and they'd play one or two original songs in the setlist and maybe sell a few cassettes). They had so much business going that it was the one guy's only job and he was pulling a surburban middle class wage from it.

In a different band, they split everything mostly evenly but there was one dude who literally never booked a paid gig (because he didn't care and wouldn't try) and the rest of the band all hated him for it.

Now he does solo stuff and gets 100% of the take, and is infinitely happier for doing so :getin:

Those are my anecdotes at 3 extremes and I hope you enjoyed them

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
Yes, America. Boston, MA region.
Haha if thats the case, then it looks like cover band it is. I'll get through this coming thing then have a conversation with the guys about long term. Didn't think generating $90.00 usd per month would fall under "completely unrealistic pipedream", but well here we are I guess!

Will have the chat, but if it comes down to deciding between 1 year of practice space or a shiny new American Standard P bass, Im gonna start thinking of what strings I will put on the next black and maple.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Is that $90 per person per month? Wow.

Cliche though it sounds, the main thing is that you enjoy playing with these guys! It's taken me 18 months to find a band since moving to this town, we only get to play/practice once a fortnight give-or-take due to other commitments and its what i look forward to most day to day; 4th practice tomorrow, we're averageing a new song a time as well as going over stuff we've already written.

If you're good/popular (the two aren't mutually exclusive) you'll probably get some paid stuff, and hopefully soon, but at early stages it is sadly unlikely.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I pay $110 (per person 4 people) a month for a space with one band, and $55 per person for another space with another band. One of my bands makes lots of money and tours alot, the other is just starting out. Generally everyone chips in for the space, and the money the band makes goes back into the band. If you don't have any merch you'll be lucky to get $50 from the door. Thats kinda how it goes. If you expect to get payed just starting out playing original material, its not going to happen. Just the fact that you're asking about this means you shouldn't even be in the band. Do you want to have fun and play music, or buy those 2 more video games a month?

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
Yeah, it sounded high to me, that might have been the monthly cost when it was 3 piece so with me added in it might be a little less, but still. If it was a matter of just paying it and working hard I could see going for it through a couple months to start lining things up.

Talented people with decent songs, I wasn't expecting to make this primary income but was hoping to get into 3-5 gigs a month territory. If that kind of schedule is still unlikely to get a couple hundred a month from playing out to cover my share and sock away towards gear, then it isn't going to work long term. I'll get the show that is already lined up handled, and have a real talk with them the following week.

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but if that's just how things are its better to reconcile earlier than later. I appreciate the insight.

Pokey Araya posted:

I pay $110 (per person 4 people) a month for a space with one band, and $55 per person for another space with another band. One of my bands makes lots of money and tours alot, the other is just starting out. Generally everyone chips in for the space, and the money the band makes goes back into the band. If you don't have any merch you'll be lucky to get $50 from the door. Thats kinda how it goes. If you expect to get payed just starting out playing original material, its not going to happen. Just the fact that you're asking about this means you shouldn't even be in the band. Do you want to have fun and play music, or buy those 2 more video games a month?

It isn't like this specific project is the only way I can have fun and play music. I could ragequit tonight and be strumming away at an open mic tomorrow. I can already not be paid, and not have to shell out for the privilege.

Jonithen fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 16, 2016

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Jonithen posted:

Yeah, it sounded high to me, that might have been the monthly cost when it was 3 piece so with me added in it might be a little less, but still. If it was a matter of just paying it and working hard I could see going for it through a couple months to start lining things up.

Talented people with decent songs, I wasn't expecting to make this primary income but was hoping to get into 3-5 gigs a month territory. If that kind of schedule is still unlikely to get a couple hundred a month from playing out to cover my share and sock away towards gear, then it isn't going to work long term. I'll get the show that is already lined up handled, and have a real talk with them the following week.

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but if that's just how things are its better to reconcile earlier than later. I appreciate the insight.

3-5 shows a month will end up in you netting less than if you played 2 shows a month. People don't want to see a band run through the same 6 songs over and over. Money should be the last thing on your mind.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

True that, even major touring bands have stated that most of the money they take home comes from merch. Make friends with someone who can screenprint tees etc. Depending on your "scene" pay what you want style tactics can work pretty well (within reason- this works decently for punk bands), if you chuck in a badge or patch when someone buys a tee you'll have someone who will come to your shows again.

Bass chat-
Been dicking around with multiband distortion and grinding at 5khz-ish with smooth tape on under 100hz really makes my 5 sit well in a mix without being overpowering

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Jonithen posted:

It isn't like this specific project is the only way I can have fun and play music. I could ragequit tonight and be strumming away at an open mic tomorrow. I can already not be paid, and not have to shell out for the privilege.

You weren't asking about open mic's. You can play on the street for free. You were asking about being a part of a band, and that's how it goes.

Merch is how we make money. This is how the merch table looked about 7 months ago. 6 t-shirts, 1 baseball tee, hoodie, coozies, patches, hats, 2 records. Now we have 4 new designs (2 of those we sold out), womens tank tops, new hats, new hoodies.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

Pokey Araya posted:

You weren't asking about open mic's. You can play on the street for free. You were asking about being a part of a band, and that's how it goes.

Merch is how we make money. This is how the merch table looked about 7 months ago. 6 t-shirts, 1 baseball tee, hoodie, coozies, patches, hats, 2 records. Now we have 4 new designs (2 of those we sold out), womens tank tops, new hats, new hoodies.

I was asking about a reasonable expectation of the time it would take a band to get itself to the point where it can begin to cover the cost of its own rehearsal space. If three months is not sufficient, what is? Six? 18? At some point there comes a time where you realize it's time to move on to something else. I like the people and the material, but I'm not really interested in just burning time in a fairly expensive rented space if it isn't leading to something. I'm fine with sticking it through and putting in the work, I just don't want to waste time and I'm trying to sort out how to tell the difference, so projecting and condescension really isn't that helpful.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Realistically about a year. I'm sorry for being harsh, but these are the realities. What is your definition of "leading to something"? What is the goal of the entire band? Local shows a couple times a month? National touring? If you want to stay local and play, you will never not be putting money into the band.

If your space is $360 a month, and you play 4 times a month, you need to make $90 a show. If you play a 4 band bill and split the money equally, thats $400 you need to make at the door. At $5 cover thats 80 people. If they pay the door guy/ and or sound guy, that could be another $50 to each of them, or more likely $100 to the sound guy, $50 to the door. So you need to make $550 at the door to make your $100, or 110 people in the place. If they give you a percentage of the bar its likely 10% if you're the headliner, and nothing if you're opening. Lets say your headlining for shits and giggles. Those 110 people need to spend 10 dollars each for you to make $100. Now it's unlikely a bunch of local bands are going to be bringing that many people, unless its a weekend, and even then probably not if you guys are just starting out. 50 people will probably show, so thats an $11 cover to make the $100. Or a $5 cover and EVERYONE there needs to spend $20 at the bar. If there's a touring band, you should give them your money and make $0, but thats a whole nother part of the equation we're not going to get into.

This is where merch comes in. Make a black shirt with a 1 screen design for $3.00 your cost, and sell them for $10. You need to print atleast 50 shirts. Sell 10 shirts, and you make that $100. But you spent $150 having them made, where does it come from? The band members pockets or the band fund with the money you made from the other shows that you didn't put into the practice space cost.

Can you see how its hard to make money starting out? It's unrealistic to expect the band to instantly start generating money to pay for your costs, thats why it takes time, and dedication, and money.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
At this point, leading to something means having a band with material that is able to bring in or at least start leading towards $360 per month, whether that is done in one night or cumulatively over the course of that month I don't especially care, it will prove that the idea is viable. Anything above and beyond that is fine and lovely, but I'm not concerned about that at this point. I want to see that there's actually a call for what we're doing, and if there isn't then I can switch gears and either put that time into just doing my own thing, or set up a cover band thing, or whatever. I can see myself spending a couple of months to find out, but a year is not really on the table for me.

Instantly expecting money would be thinking that we're going to do this tonight. Three months isn't instant when all the pieces are supposedly there, they've got set lists and recordings ready, and you've been told that the other guys are ready to go and they just needed that one last piece in the band to start running. If I got four strangers into a room with nothing but their equipment and a light in their eyes, yeah I can see that taking a while to establish. That isn't the case here.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Speaking as someone who's been playing music in Boston for a few years now, there is no way your local band is going to make $360 a month, ever.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
You seem to have quite unrealistic expectations towards playing and performing original music in a band. The truth is, you likely won't see a dime, even if you become relatively popular, do tours and sell shirts and so on. You'll at best break even with maybe a little bit of money left over for beer.

Playing rock music in the year 2016 is an expensive hobby, one you shouldn't really commit to if you're not willing to pay.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
If what I'm looking for is not attainable then it is better to square that sooner rather than later so everybody can move towards where they want to be. I'll let them know after this gig is handled, and if it isn't going to work then we can go our separate ways.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do things for fun and not the money.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Look, your band can make money, it takes time. It's a word of mouth business based on your performance. So far all we've talked about is money, which is the last piece of the puzzle. My band can easily clear $300 in a town we've never been in or a show in our hometown, we average $600 in a city we've played a couple times before, and we can hit $700 or $800 on a weekend with a shitload of people partying their asses off. But it took years to get there, and years of playing together to actually be a good band, and have people want to buy your poo poo. We spent $2500 on shirts before we left for the last tour 2 months ago and we leave again in 2 weeks. Guess how much we spent on new designs, new shirts hats, ect? My band makes money, it pays for everything, all the merch, 3 new amplifiers, cymbals, light rentals, all the gas (usually $3000+ on a 9000 mile tour for a month) fixing the van that gets beat to hell, tires, the front suspension, brakes, we pay our merch guy over a grand, and we come back with money for new recordings at nice studios, usually another 3 or 4k. Its not impossible, but it takes time.

Your priorities are backwards, and you'll never make it with this mindset. If your in it for the music, the money will come. If your in it for the money, you music will suck, no one will want to deal with you, and no one will come to see your band.

Jonithen posted:

Three months isn't instant when all the pieces are supposedly there.

You have the 2nd piece of this puzzle called a band. First is people, and gear. 2nd GOOD songs and GOOD recordings. A great live act is 3rd which takes lots of time just playing together, there is no shortcut, unless you recordings are going to be a hit straight away, which you chances are .00001% but it does happen. 4th is playing shows, and really you want to be playing shows with bands that are bigger than you, and some of their audience then in turn likes you because of #3 where you had a kick rear end show. 5th is all of this over time.

It sounds like you don't want to be in a band. As for solo stuff, all the above mentioned stuff is now solely your responsibility including start up costs, so it looks like thats not going to happen either.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
I will see if I can convince the guy I do lessons with to help me out of love for music theory and to eschew the pursuit of filthy lucre. OK looks like my question was answered.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Jonithen posted:

I was asking about a reasonable expectation of the time it would take a band to get itself to the point where it can begin to cover the cost of its own rehearsal space. If three months is not sufficient, what is? Six? 18?

Impossible to say

quote:

At some point there comes a time where you realize it's time to move on to something else.

Sure!

quote:

I like the people and the material, but I'm not really interested in just burning time in a fairly expensive rented space if it isn't leading to something.

You do you!

quote:

I'm fine with sticking it through and putting in the work,

It doesn't sound like it, because....

quote:

I just don't want to waste time and I'm trying to sort out how to tell the difference, so projecting and condescension really isn't that helpful.

These people aren't being condescending. They're trying to give you a perspective that you don't appear to have considered. Your time and your money are yours to manage.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Jonithen posted:

I will see if I can convince the guy I do lessons with to help me out of love for music theory and to eschew the pursuit of filthy lucre. OK looks like my question was answered.

If you have any questions about the above, I'd be happy to answer them. Does any of what I said seem unreasonable?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

There's absolutely nothing wrong with admitting that playing in a live band, while a lot of fun, entails a lot of work.

I got asked to play in a small band by a buddy, who's last bass player left. They're just starting out, so there's not a huge following but he's got a good network so there's shows to play. After playing my first show in a couple years, it was fun playing, but I have to ask myself critically if it's the best use of my spare time in having fun with music. I'm not 100% into the music, it's not very challenging to play, the people are decent, and it soaks up 90 to 120 minutes on a weeknight once a week that I could use to work on my own stuff.

It's already a couple months in and I'm not loving it, and since it will never, ever pay, the only question I have left would be - is it fun? It's starting to slack on the side of 'not really'

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

el B posted:

These people aren't being condescending. They're trying to give you a perspective that you don't appear to have considered. Your time and your money are yours to manage.

There have been some good replies which I appreciate, but "Just the fact that you're asking about this means you shouldn't even be in the band. Do you want to have fun and play music, or buy those 2 more video games a month?" is ridiculous. Asking when it's reasonable to start expecting being able to start getting gig money isn't out of line. I wasn't asking about having 4g left in the wallet after paying for studio time and dropping another thousand on someone to man a merchandise table, vehicle repairs, and a whole bunch of other things that went way beyond the scope of what I was asking about. I was asking about how long would be reasonable for doing X shows a month to start pitching $90 back in to the operating costs, whether that's one gig or 12. If the answer to that really is "can't say" or "depends on what you're doing" that's fine. Going "LOL you shouldn't even be in a band" is the least helpful thing I've read in this 216 page thread. Something like "it took me 3 years, but if we had done X Y or Z we probably could have done it in half that time" would be useful, or "we were spinning our wheels and it felt like nothing was happening until ____".

There's a ton of articles, forums posts, an advice that suggest doing _anything_ free is shooting yourself in the foot, and in general contributes to the pressures that make it hard on performing musicians in the first place, which absolutely flies in the face of what I've read in the last bunch of replies. I'm not going that extreme, and am totally fine with doing freebie shows (like the one that is happening in two days) especially early on. I don't want to do that for an extended period of time. In my mind, either the material and the performance is worth getting paid for, or it isn't. If it isn't, then I'd like to try to find something that is.

Having fun and being in a band, and being able to get some cash from it are not or at least should not be mutually exclusive. This isn't an either/or proposition, and tons of people manage to do it all the time. The question was whether these guys can, and I'm trying to frame my expectations so I'm not totally selling them short without giving it a chance. However if the other Boston guy a few posts back is right, then it'll never get there so I need to take a look at whether it makes sense to keep going with that in mind.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Jonithen posted:

I was asking about a reasonable expectation of the time it would take a band to get itself to the point where it can begin to cover the cost of its own rehearsal space. If three months is not sufficient, what is? Six? 18? At some point there comes a time where you realize it's time to move on to something else. I like the people and the material, but I'm not really interested in just burning time in a fairly expensive rented space if it isn't leading to something. I'm fine with sticking it through and putting in the work, I just don't want to waste time and I'm trying to sort out how to tell the difference, so projecting and condescension really isn't that helpful.

I play in a band that has gotten quite a bit 'bigger' than any of my previous bands over the last year. We are by no means a 'big' band, but we have had weekly radio play on a large Australian national radio station for over a year now, been played on BBC Radio One, got a record deal for our next album with a pretty great Australian label and been asked to play a fair few shows that have been far bigger than anything I've ever played in my life.

We still have to pay out of pocket for our weekly practices. It's our hobby - just like if I collected toy trains, I would expect to have to pay for those out of my own pocket.

It's just how it goes man. All of our money from record sales, merch sales, show payment etc. goes back into a band fund that will pay for future touring costs, merch runs, recording etc. To be honest, it's a huge relief to not have to pay for those things as well as weekly practice fees - I guess that's the best you can realistically hope for. Every other band I've been in previously, we've had to pay for all of those things as well out of our own pockets which gets really goddamn expensive.

I would say either join a cover band if you want to make actual money, or try and shift your perspective to see this as something that you're pretty much always going to have to be reaching into your pocket for in one way or another.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

Cathab posted:

I play in a band that has gotten quite a bit 'bigger' than any of my previous bands over the last year. We are by no means a 'big' band, but we have had weekly radio play on a large Australian national radio station for over a year now, been played on BBC Radio One, got a record deal for our next album with a pretty great Australian label and been asked to play a fair few shows that have been far bigger than anything I've ever played in my life.

We still have to pay out of pocket for our weekly practices. It's our hobby - just like if I collected toy trains, I would expect to have to pay for those out of my own pocket.

It's just how it goes man. All of our money from record sales, merch sales, show payment etc. goes back into a band fund that will pay for future touring costs, merch runs, recording etc. To be honest, it's a huge relief to not have to pay for those things as well as weekly practice fees - I guess that's the best you can realistically hope for. Every other band I've been in previously, we've had to pay for all of those things as well out of our own pockets which gets really goddamn expensive.

I would say either join a cover band if you want to make actual money, or try and shift your perspective to see this as something that you're pretty much always going to have to be reaching into your pocket for in one way or another.

That is awesome.

Yeah it's looking more likely that I'll just end up continuing to work on my own stuff while looking for occasional sub spots and solo opportunities if a cover band situation doesn't happen. That's actually what I was looking for when I was approached by this band who needed someone to fill in a recent vacancy, which I went for because I liked what I was hearing and didn't have reason to doubt that they were otherwise good to go. I still intend to give them the benefit of the doubt and see if this is the case.

Deciding on how to allocate resources makes sense. Being told it's super wrong for me to even think about working towards those resources is absurd to me. If people have a weird hangup about the fact that I mentioned rehearsal space, can we pretend I said the $90 was to put towards the next recording session and tour?

In any case, apparently the answer is that it doesn't matter and it won't be likely to break even, so I'll have to look at whether being able to tell random strangers on the street that I Am In A Band is enough of a reason to stay on board with this.

Doomy posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with admitting that playing in a live band, while a lot of fun, entails a lot of work.

I got asked to play in a small band by a buddy, who's last bass player left. They're just starting out, so there's not a huge following but he's got a good network so there's shows to play. After playing my first show in a couple years, it was fun playing, but I have to ask myself critically if it's the best use of my spare time in having fun with music. I'm not 100% into the music, it's not very challenging to play, the people are decent, and it soaks up 90 to 120 minutes on a weeknight once a week that I could use to work on my own stuff.

It's already a couple months in and I'm not loving it, and since it will never, ever pay, the only question I have left would be - is it fun? It's starting to slack on the side of 'not really'

This actually seems like it validates my original assumption that a couple of months is enough time to start figuring out if something is going to work. There's the honeymoon phase where it's just so awesome to be doing something, but it seems like that fades quickly and then you start evaluating what you're really sinking your time into. With the one I am in, I'd say I'm in the 70% range on the music - I definitely wouldn't walk out if I was in the audience for it, and there's some that I actually dig quite a bit, but a couple that I am decidedly meh about. For something to be long term viable to me, it's either got to knock me out musically or the possibility of compensation has to be there. Ideally both. I'm looking down the barrel at 6 hours over two separate days a week, which is a lot of time for something that doesn't floor me or apparently have a chance at pocketing some extra spending cash. Hopefully you sort out the level of fun with them, or get yourself into a better fit if it comes down to that.

Jonithen fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 18, 2016

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

Jonithen posted:

That is awesome.

Yeah it's looking more likely that I'll just end up continuing to work on my own stuff while looking for occasional sub spots and solo opportunities if a cover band situation doesn't happen. That's actually what I was looking for when I was approached by this band who needed someone to fill in a recent vacancy, which I went for because I liked what I was hearing and didn't have reason to doubt that they were otherwise good to go. I still intend to give them the benefit of the doubt and see if this is the case.

Deciding on how to allocate resources makes sense. Being told it's super wrong for me to even think about working towards those resources is absurd to me. If people have a weird hangup about the fact that I mentioned rehearsal space, can we pretend I said the $90 was to put towards the next recording session and tour?

In any case, apparently the answer is that it doesn't matter and it won't be likely to break even, so I'll have to look at whether being able to tell random strangers on the street that I Am In A Band is enough of a reason to stay on board with this.

This actually seems like it validates my original assumption that a couple of months is enough time to start figuring out if something is going to work. There's the honeymoon phase where it's just so awesome to be doing something, but it seems like that fades quickly and then you start evaluating what you're really sinking your time into. With the one I am in, I'd say I'm in the 70% range on the music - I definitely wouldn't walk out if I was in the audience for it, and there's some that I actually dig quite a bit, but a couple that I am decidedly meh about. For something to be long term viable to me, it's either got to knock me out musically or the possibility of compensation has to be there. Ideally both. I'm looking down the barrel at 6 hours over two separate days a week, which is a lot of time for something that doesn't floor me or apparently have a chance at pocketing some extra spending cash. Hopefully you sort out the level of fun with them, or get yourself into a better fit if it comes down to that.

I don't think it's 'super wrong' of you to want to work towards something like that at all - I just think in realistic terms, making and playing original music in a band just isn't something that will provide you with that most of the time. In my case, I play in bands with people that I like playing music with, playing music that I get personal satisfaction out of playing. If those things change, then I don't enjoy myself in that band and I leave (or the band falls apart before I get a chance - which has happened a couple of times).

The time commitment thing is a huge ask. We practice four hours a week, and as someone who has a 7 year old daughter and works fulltime, that is a huge ask but I make it work because I still feel the same sense of enjoyment that I did 18 months ago when we started. To me, that's the 'payoff'.

My take on it is that people are basically trying to put across to you is that if your goal for wanting to continue in a band has anything to do with income or finances, then I would probably call it quits. Not because that isn't a reasonable thing to want, given that you're putting in time and effort and in the real world you would get rewarded for that time and effort, but because most of the time it just isn't realistic given the climate in the music industry nowadays. People don't want to pay for music. People don't even want to pay for attending shows (hence why a lot of the time, the ticket price is often quite low). And that is where the majority of your time and effort is being spent as a band member - writing music, recording music, and playing shows.

If you want to do it because it's something you get a lot of personal satisfaction out of it, then that's the fuel that will keep you eager and invested. If you aren't getting personal satisfaction from it, and instead are motivated by being able to have a self-funded hobby, then that goal will often not come around and then you'll just end up jaded and resenting the whole thing which would suck a lot.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
I guess the disconnect is I'm talking about a trivial, token amount of cash here. If I was asking about being able to quit the job and try to make a (US) middle class income and have it pay a mortgage or something I could see it being hillariously unrealistic. If I was "only in it for the money" I would be aiming a lot higher than just my part of a shared space.

The time commitment is big, but like anybody here rehearsal time is a fraction of overall time spent. I'll put an average minimum of 15 hours a week just in weekdays on my own, and none of that is spent waiting for someone else to arrive, smoke, hit the bathroom or sort out what we're going to work on.

Part of the motivation of jumping in with other people is to work towards getting some cash rolling in. I can work on technique on my own, I can get the satisfaction and joy of creating just by clicking a red circle in amplitube, and if I want to stand in front of people and perform it's as simple as shoving the axe in a gig bag and driving to any number of places running open mics. I didn't pick up a bass or start doing music to make money, but I did pick up a band to get opportunities that would be harder if not impossible for me to get on my own.

Since apparently that was a mistaken assumption, I'll have to take a look at whether it makes sense to keep going. I said I'd do tomorrow's thing, and I'll probably ride things out until October in the off chance we do achieve the unimaginable and get someone somewhere to actually pay for a gig.

Jonithen fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 18, 2016

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

How much time do you spend going to shows, making friends, and actually participating in whatever your local scene is? There's no shortage of talented bands with decent material out there, if you want the good gigs you need to know the people who can book them for you. It helps to have friends in bands more popular than yours and to be a face people recognize at your local bar/venue/diy space. Also local musicians/promoters/fans can give you a much better idea of how things work and what's realistic in your area than internet strangers.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
It's possible to have a self sustaining band financially, it just takes a long time to get there. Most bands never do there or break up before achieving it. That's what we're trying to tell you, that even thinking about paying gigs when your band is just starting is definitely not something that you should expect will come as a given.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 18, 2016

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
So the assumption is this is brand new. From what I've gathered the core of the band had been working together for three years give or take, and there's been kind of a revolving door with bass and drums which I've pieced together over the last couple weeks shooting the poo poo with them. In that time they've put together a pretty nice number of songs (more than 6!) and done "many" appearances, and supposedly already have a sense of people that know who they are and what works when they play out. I get it takes time to build some momentum, but I can't imagine why it should reset every time you get a different person - sure you get the new guy up to speed which takes as long as it takes, but you don't go back to day zero right?

If they weren't bullshitting me then they'd already have started and should be somewhere along the continuity. I don't hang in their area and answered what amounts to a cold call so I didn't get a chance to check references. If everything is on the level, then it isn't taking a band from 0 to paid in three months they are supposedly years deep. If after that amount of time I kind of imagine if things aren't happening then chances are they won't.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
It would of helped if you said that like 4 posts ago, talk to them and see whats up, we don't know their money situation, or what they're willing to put in/how they distribute band funds.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Jonithen posted:

I guess the disconnect is I'm talking about a trivial, token amount of cash here. If I was asking about being able to quit the job and try to make a (US) middle class income and have it pay a mortgage or something I could see it being hillariously unrealistic. If I was "only in it for the money" I would be aiming a lot higher than just my part of a shared space.

I tried out for a band this spring, they were pretty good, but it didn't work out for this reason. The band leader's intention was to eventually play music full time and literally said, pay their mortgages with their music. They also wanted to have two rehearsals a week, without having a weekly gig or something booked. To put this into context this was a band playing rock with a lot of jammed out parts.

It didn't work out and I was forward with them that I was looking for something at most once a week and for fun, not as a career choice.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

Pokey Araya posted:

It would of helped if you said that like 4 posts ago, talk to them and see whats up, we don't know their money situation, or what they're willing to put in/how they distribute band funds.

I'm getting a little sense that the reality of the situation and what I'm hearing aren't totaly lining up, but I don't want to be too quick to call bullshit and be unfair. Maybe they really are ready to go and just needed their bass spot filled in to get off the ground. Or maybe the reason they needed a new player is the last one was smart enough to GTFO. Trying not to be too suspicious. Thats why Im trying to figure out how to get something measureable as far as a goal goes.

I really didn't think that the $90 in 3 months was too high a goal to clear, I figured lining up a single paid gig should be achievable assuming all the other pieces were there after doing a fast ramp up on networking and so forth. That would show me that its at least a workable concept. Now if my assumption is just off base, ok but I really don't think I am being as overly ambitious as it is being made out. If the original music really is strictly a vanity thing that just straight up doesn't have the potential then I'd rather make that a backburner idea and either do my own deal or spearhead a cover thing and slip a few in when I can. Im basically doing covers of their last guy anyway. I mean I have freedom to make the lines what I want, but there isnt a lot of difference between doing that and "reinterpreting" a cover from where I'm standing anyway.

Doomy posted:

They also wanted to have two rehearsals a week, without having a weekly gig or something booked. To put this into context this was a band playing rock

Snipped a bit, but this is what I'm seeing as well. 3 hours twice a week just as a matter of course. I'm down for drinking from the firehose and figure it will be the fastest way to get up to speed, and if there is something on the other end then yeah lets hit it. But if there isn't anything waiting it is kind of a hurry up and wait situation and I'm having a hard time really seeing the point.

Jonithen fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 18, 2016

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Jesus christ, just text them and ask what's up if its so make or break to you.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So do you want to go play music or not?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I will only step on stage if there is an attractive lady to fellate me for the entirety of the set, and we play at LEAST 3 songs by Foreigner.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

there are ways to make money as a band, but they involve seriously busting your rear end and committing just about all of your free time to it, which from your temperament doesn't really sound like something you'd be willing to do.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008

muike posted:

So do you want to go play music or not?

Yes, which I will continue to do regardless of whether it is with them or not.

I will text them. "Dear band are you going to waste my time y/n thx. love, bassist"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

there are ways to make money as a band, but they involve seriously busting your rear end and committing just about all of your free time to it, which from your temperament doesn't really sound like something you'd be willing to do.

And there are also ways to not churn through 5 bass players and 2 drummers in a few years, and signs are pointing to knocking both counts up another increment within the near future. I think I've got all the information I need on this topic.

Constipated posted:

I will only step on stage if there is an attractive lady to fellate me for the entirety of the set, and we play at LEAST 3 songs by Foreigner.

Great now I have to think of a new stage gimmick since this was already taken. Thanks a lot.

Jonithen fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 19, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

edit: nvm

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 19, 2016

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Not to distract from the current dogpile, but a story about some effort in guitar reviews.

I was looking for an old interview with the bass player from the Pilfers, and thought it was in an old issue of Bass Player magazine. Went to their website to see if they have old articles online.

Started down that rabbit hole, and clicked on this review of a Cort bass (I always liked Greg's Curbows, not familiar with other offerings). written by "BP Staff"

Went to Cort's website, here's their product description of the bass.

It is the exact same text. And they say print is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

To be fair it's not a review just a news article. Directly reproducing the company's advertising copy for those is not uncommon.

Still hella lazy but not exactly dishonest.