Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

This exam seems like it really favors Yaoyorozu. Just make enough fake targets to cover your whole body so people don't know where to aim, and then keep spawning balls until the ballpocalypse has consumed everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you don't need to make fake balls when everyone's opening gambit was gifting the ua class all of theirs for free

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, I had thought that maybe they only get to use the six you're given, but it makes sense you can pick balls up off the ground if only because how would the examiners track whether each of those hundreds of kids are using their own or someone else's?
Maybe it has some kinda mechanism that disables it once it hits a target, so it doesn't 'count' if someone tries to recycle it? But then the ones that missed can still be used.

I'm probably overthinking this a lot.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lt. Lizard posted:

Heh, just noticed that Mineta got pretty inventive (and assholish) with his Target placement.

i was so loving certain you meant he'd put them on his balls

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
On ganging up, there's also the thing that 1st years taking the test are uncommon (but not rare) so to most of their opponents, UA's students are not only favoured elite, but also freshmen upstarts to boot. I do doubt that's the reason Yoarashi declined to join UA tho.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
It's like any free-for-all competition, it's pretty common for everyone to gang up on the biggest threats. Anyone who's ever played Settlers of Catan knows that once somebody clearly gets into the lead, everyone else starts doing their best to screw them over.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mineta's weapon is literally him ripping all of the balls off his head at once. That's gotta sting.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

he has a gun, did you even read one piece

One Piece isn't entertainment, it's Stockholm syndrome.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Mordaedil posted:

One Piece isn't entertainment, it's Stockholm syndrome.

You sure you don't mean Naruto there, dude

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One Piece is good

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lt. Lizard posted:

Heh, just noticed that Mineta got pretty inventive (and assholish) with his Target placement.

Oh wow, that is dickish and very Mineta. I can only see two. I wonder if the third is on is head--his grapes would do a decent job of blocking attacks.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i was so loving certain you meant he'd put them on his balls

where did he put them i am having trouble identifying what the targets look like

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Inside part of his gloves.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Oh wow, that is dickish and very Mineta. I can only see two. I wonder if the third is on is head--his grapes would do a decent job of blocking attacks.

Probably on his boot.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Mina had better pass this, it's about time that she got to shine.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

You sure you don't mean Naruto there, dude

All long-running series are.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think One Piece largely benefits from the left-over good will it generated from its earlier chapters. I think there's also the fact that people think that being energetic and having good character designs allows you to ignore everything else about the series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
One Piece is still a fantastic series. It's imaginative, lively and while it is prone to bloat its plotting is still remarkably tight for something that's gone on for so long and gained such a large cast.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

I think One Piece largely benefits from the left-over good will it generated from its earlier chapters. I think there's also the fact that people think that being energetic and having good character designs allows you to ignore everything else about the series.

No, people like it because it's good

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
One Piece's biggest problem is that it actually has too much of a good thing: it has way too many legitimately interesting, well-designed and memorable characters, more are constantly introduced with each arc, and Oda feels obligated to try and bring back the old ones when he can, so the longer the comic goes on the more cramped things get and the less screen time any given individual character gets

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like a lot of long running like Bleach or Naruto would be exactly like Marvel if Marvel didn't have separate comics for different characters and just had one comic released weekly.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Mina had better pass this, it's about time that she got to shine.

Acid kamehameha will prove to be unbeatable.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Been awhile but I've finally caught up with this series again.

Nice to see Kouhei addressing some of my complaints, giving everyone some much-needed downtime and making some progress towards mitigating Deku's self-destructive tendencies. The current arc is seriously giving me some Hunter x Hunter vibes as well, which is also neat.

Also I know I talked smack about him earlier but I finally like Satou now that he's been allowed to have some on-screen presence.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This chapter is more proof that Bakugou is the best character.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also while I get the whole stick together mentality it's probably for the best Todoroki ran off on his own.

Dude's probably still in the "Nuke everything" phase of his power refinement.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Also while I get the whole stick together mentality it's probably for the best Todoroki ran off on his own.

I assume he figured out like Bakugou did that everyone would be going after UA so he bailed

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He's still a prominant target on his own considering he was on national television.

Bakugou, Todoroki, and Fumikage are all prime targets.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bad Seafood posted:

Well that's literally the reason he said when leaving so

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

JT Jag posted:

One Piece's biggest problem is that it actually has too much of a good thing: it has way too many legitimately interesting, well-designed and memorable characters, more are constantly introduced with each arc, and Oda feels obligated to try and bring back the old ones when he can, so the longer the comic goes on the more cramped things get and the less screen time any given individual character gets

It's other biggest problem is that once you've seen one fight, the only thing different will be powers used. Enemies might be smarter, or more powerful, but Luffy wins because FRIENDSHIP and DETERMINATION. The fights have become some of the least interesting action shots I've ever seen because the ending is nigh and every hint that the base assumptions might change has been let down.
I mean, powers are cool but if all you have is powers there's other series that do interesting powers and have interesting fights (such as this one :v:)

Bad Seafood posted:

He's still a prominant target on his own considering he was on national television.

Bakugou, Todoroki, and Fumikage are all prime targets.

Everyone in UA is a prime target because everyone has known their quirks ever since the festival, which means they've got a big head start on figuring out weaknesses and such. But it is a realistic premise considering normal hero work.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Everyone but deku will pass and next yeaj it will like Killua at the hunter exam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In a weird way, Todoroki is being a considerate team player. He's taking some heat (ahem) off his buddies, and ensuring that they don't get inconvenienced by the enormous collateral damage he generates.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I remember the last shounen thread where folks with a stupid chip on their shoulder got lovely about One Piece.

It was Magi and that manga promptly went to poo poo, so let's see if that jinx can go 2-for-2.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You can complain about One Piece in the One Piece thread.

This is the thread for complaining about MHA.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Grapeboy ain't right.

Just ain't right.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I remember the last shounen thread where folks with a stupid chip on their shoulder got lovely about One Piece.

It was Magi and that manga promptly went to poo poo, so let's see if that jinx can go 2-for-2.

Oh, I sort of stopped reading Magi like just after it was revealed that one kid was a clone of Scharezade or whatever, what happened?

And yeah, I agree, this arc is giving me major Hunter Exam vibes, which is good because HxH is the greatest.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They attack UA because they know their powers, so it'd make sense to go after those they consider weaker first instead of the risk involved going after the top three.

I want Mina, Kaminari and Hagakure to do well. The HxH comparison is spot on and I had the same thought reading the chapter. Ideally it'd be sort of like the island part of the exam.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

I'd think this is more of a "friendly rivalry" thing if it wasn't over their provisional license. It's not like they'd be shut out forever but I really, really can't understand making people who're supposed to basically be public servants gently caress eachother over.

Like I imagine the cops don't have a mixed martial arts tournament to decide who gets to be a cop during training at the Police Academy and those guys are actually allowed to arrest people and use lethal force.

Heroes arent' public servents. they exist in a weird private/public dichotomy they often have to take up advertising and sponsorships and all that to supplement their income heroes are always competing with each other

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wonder where Invisigirl puts her targets? I mean, having them on in the first place seems to totally invalidate her power's usefulness.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darth Walrus posted:

In a weird way, Todoroki is being a considerate team player. He's taking some heat (ahem) off his buddies, and ensuring that they don't get inconvenienced by the enormous collateral damage he generates.

There's a high probability that Todoroki, Bakugou and Deku are all making the correct move. Todoroki and Bakugou are both best able to use their powers in this situation if they're by themselves, doing aoe blocks. Deku on the other hand is best suited to lead everyone else as a cohesive unit with very limited aoe blocking abilities.

It's also nice that while Aizawa didn't explain to the UA students that they'd be targeted, he and the other instructors did go out of their way to refine the hell out of everyone's abilities after the public tournament. Todoroki actually uses fire now, Deku not only can use his powers without destroying his body but completely switched up his style, and the rest of the class was encouraged to rethink and refine their abilities with the help of the support division prior to this test.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder where Invisigirl puts her targets? I mean, having them on in the first place seems to totally invalidate her power's usefulness.

She just lies down so it looks like someone dropped some used targets (and a pair of gloves), and waits for her prey...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could also see them from both sides of her, so throwing them at her might "miss" because you're facing her front and they're on her back, or something.