Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Combine spaces, kitchen and camping/bugout trailer are now the same thing, voilá!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

NancyPants posted:

A hammock and a fan can be quite comfy, but garage and workshop smell in your home all the time? Where do you cook in this scenario?

On the engine block.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

It came from Facebook!
Friend of my fathers who I can always count on to post and share hilarious shithead conservative "memes" just posted this pice of work.

"Shower is a day away from using, 95% complete"

Man I hope that last 5% is hiring a contractor to demo it. Near as I can tell there's no waterproofing or liner. It's all raw studs. Gonna be a dank rotten mess in about 6 months.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 20, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

NancyPants posted:

A hammock and a fan can be quite comfy, but garage and workshop smell in your home all the time? Where do you cook in this scenario?

You build it like an apartment, rather than being a literal sperg and assuming that an entire second floor loft on a 36 x 24 building is somehow going to be just two bedrooms?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

You build it like an apartment, rather than being a literal sperg and assuming that an entire second floor loft on a 36 x 24 building is somehow going to be just two bedrooms?

re: literal sperg, consider your audience

When someone describes the second floor as lofted and the entire building as "like a barn", I tend to assume they're envisioning a barn loft. gently caress me for assuming, I guess, we all know what happens when we do that.

So what you really meant is that you want a second floor apartment above your garage/workshop, then?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Eh, my bad I guess I assumed that people were more familiar with coachhouse design. Something like this:

Lower:

Upper:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hell yeah just go for it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

More reasonable versions are pretty common though

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This style is very common for small businesses like hair salons and dentists (zoning is way more flexible than in the US.)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

peanut posted:

Hell yeah just go for it

I'm sure this is just a wonderful ride on really windy days

peanut posted:

This style is very common for small businesses like hair salons and dentists (zoning is way more flexible than in the US.)

These are pretty common in larger US cities and I even see a couple in smaller ones too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Liquid Communism posted:

Eh, my bad I guess I assumed that people were more familiar with coachhouse design. Something like this:

Lower:

Upper:

I would love a house like that just to put my workshop/lab in the garage.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

peanut posted:

Hell yeah just go for it

What was the thought process for this?
Extreme flood preparation?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

ExplodingSims posted:

lol a view of the ocean five blocks away

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Elsa posted:

lol a view of the ocean five blocks away

Oh please let this be true and not just a glib response!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

That McMansion Hell blog may have found the worst McMansion I've ever seen. Preview:

It's nearly 10,000 square feet jesus christ.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jesus, you weren't kidding. 10k square feet but not a square wall in sight, and so many hosed up angles and bulkheads, all in beige.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did they just throw leftover windows at it?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"this window is legit messing me up" this is the best blog

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
that part was my fav too

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

China :china:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Liquid Communism posted:

Jesus, you weren't kidding. 10k square feet but not a square wall in sight, and so many hosed up angles and bulkheads, all in beige.

Bulkheads? Is this a hover‐house?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Jesus, you weren't kidding. 10k square feet but not a square wall in sight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVKbU0R4ygg

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What do you get when you mix a valance and an Austrian shade?

Sadness. You get sadness.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

peanut posted:

That's also very common in parts of the US. Many around here are often quite old and were cheaply built ("taxpayer").

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Motronic posted:

That's also very common in parts of the US. Many around here are often quite old and were cheaply built ("taxpayer").

Haha, I was going to say that there are those things all over the place here, and lo and behold the wiki picture is from Boston. :v:

I was out recently and ran this interesting choice - basically a house where they expanded the second floor over the portico, even though this means their house now overhangs the sidewalk. There are three in a row like this, so it seems like it was part of the original design? Very weird. Also, that street is just packed with houses with walls right up on the sidewalk, if a wide load ever turns down there on accident it's going to wipe out the neighborhood.

FlashBewin
May 17, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I was out recently and ran this interesting choice - basically a house where they expanded the second floor over the portico, even though this means their house now overhangs the sidewalk. There are three in a row like this, so it seems like it was part of the original design? Very weird. Also, that street is just packed with houses with walls right up on the sidewalk, if a wide load ever turns down there on accident it's going to wipe out the neighborhood.

Holy poo poo, this is what my sister wanted to do to our house in the suburbs. I thought... I thought she was the only one who would do this to a house. :psyduck:

She wanted to build a 2nd story....room on the front of the house, on top of the porch. Specifically for a hot tub. Just off the top of my head, I rattled off reasons why we couldn't do it; ranch style houses aren't structurally built for that (I kind of pulled this one out of my rear end) but I know for sure the porch isn't rated for it, the plumbing would have to be rerouted or added to accommodate the hot tub, the electrical system would have to be rerouted as well to accommodate this, and our ~5 year old roof would have to be torn apart, at least piecemeal, to make this work. Plus I also know that she would never had taken care of it. Also the whole indoor hot tub thing.

Don't do drugs. They make you want to put a 2nd story hot tub room on your house.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mcmansion Hell put out a new post and

lovecraftian is the best word i can come up with

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
From Facebook, someone I only know through internet posted about doing yard work but this house... I... I don't know what to say...

Currently getting her address so I can take some screen caps on google maps and check out the interior from the listing as well as how much they paid.

Any bets its got a Stablock panel?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Reminds me of a house around where I live:

It's been this way for well over a decade at this point and every time I pass I :psyduck:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
After leaving a local hotdog joint, I always see this house, and the roofline asymmetry creeps me out.

https://goo.gl/maps/SwzL5S3Yykp

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love how McMansions are basically Sims houses come to life. That tumblr is amazing.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
A mcMansion near me has a garage with no driveway. Just a 1' drop from the sill to the lawn. I should send that blog some fodder, Northern VA is McMansion Mordor.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

c0ldfuse posted:

From Facebook, someone I only know through internet posted about doing yard work but this house... I... I don't know what to say...

Currently getting her address so I can take some screen caps on google maps and check out the interior from the listing as well as how much they paid.

Any bets its got a Stablock panel?

All this house needs is some bushes to hide that foundation, and a vertical plant or statue to justify that offset door.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Elsa posted:

All this house needs is some bushes to hide that foundation, and a vertical plant or statue to justify that offset door.

What about that giant whatever-it-is that is being (visually) supported by two flimsy 4x4 posts? Even if the columns weren't there, that thing would look horribly out of place.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What about that giant whatever-it-is that is being (visually) supported by two flimsy 4x4 posts? Even if the columns weren't there, that thing would look horribly out of place.

I see your point and I guess I'm just not sophisticated enough to rag on house havers. Except for maybe this one

beepsandboops posted:

Reminds me of a house around where I live:

It's been this way for well over a decade at this point and every time I pass I :psyduck:

Give it a facade door maybe :laffo: just nail one on there.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
These are mostly decent houses they'll lose in a divorce anyway. I'm happy for them

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
That blog makes me feel 100% better about my house purchase. I have a mostly symmetrical street view with an offset door and window behind a small courtyard wall.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Enourmo posted:

to the women I date this place is a total pantydropper. Then again so is any modicum of privacy and the freedom to have loud sex.

this is a PUA house

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Enourmo posted:

Agreed, I am absolutely in love with the craftsmanship of this home

Much better than my hovel, what with the weed choked driveway and crumbling retaining wall I can't afford to rip out :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Elsa posted:

I see your point and I guess I'm just not sophisticated enough to rag on house havers. Except for maybe this one

Give it a facade door maybe :laffo: just nail one on there.