Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Not really, you phrased it in terms of the Joker's agency, which doesn't exist in this film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I Before E posted:

When's the Batman DJ movie coming out

Umm he dated a DJ, her name was Wyldstyle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So that's three weeks in a row where this flick came in at number one and it's safe to say that it will hit $600 million world wide. But it's still totally a flop right?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So that's three weeks in a row where this flick came in at number one and it's safe to say that it will hit $600 million world wide. But it's still totally a flop right?
Well you have to multiply the box office returns by the Rotten Tomatoes percent in order to get the real amount, right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

The audience drop off on SS is pretty much the same as on MoS or BvS so it doesn't have great legs but it's making decent money, especially when you contrast it with Ghostbusters 2016 or X-Men: Apocalypse. Of course if you compare it to Independence Day: Resurgence or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows then it's doing great business.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Space Fish posted:

Umm he dated a DJ, her name was Wyldstyle.

She's not gonna be in the Lego Batman movie, is she? She's great in Lego Dimensions (and the scene in the beginning with both Batmans is brilliant).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Every film I keep wondering when the bottom will drop out for Warner Bros but they still have legs and they're masters of marketing themselves. I knew I'd hate this film but they got my $8.50.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

She's not gonna be in the Lego Batman movie, is she? She's great in Lego Dimensions (and the scene in the beginning with both Batmans is brilliant).

As far as I know the Lego Batman movie is just a Batman movie in Lego format (with the same voice actor) rather than a continuation of the Lego Movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

al-azad posted:

Every film I keep wondering when the bottom will drop out for Warner Bros but they still have legs and they're masters of marketing themselves. I knew I'd hate this film but they got my $8.50.

It's weird. I've hate-watched all three of the poo poo DCU films so far, but if Marvel (or most big studios) put out a film that looked this shite I wouldn't bother.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Alright, I've got the Ultimate Cut of Batman v Superman. I'm ready for this. It can't be that bad, can it? I'm trusting you guys here.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Alright, I've got the Ultimate Cut of Batman v Superman. I'm ready for this. It can't be that bad, can it? I'm trusting you guys here.

Have fun and hope you enjoy.

I did.

I think the BEST version of the movie is somewhere in between the Ultimate and Theatrical cut, but hey

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

Post in the BvS thread :D

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Have fun and hope you enjoy.

I did.

I think the BEST version of the movie is somewhere in between the Ultimate and Theatrical cut, but hey

If they added the Clark Kent stuff and the cops watching football to the Theatrical it would be perfect.

They definitely didn't need the extra African stuff including the dudes who show up for 2 minutes to ride horses

I'm neutral on a lot of other stuff. It's split pretty evenly for me on things that should have been cut/things that shouldn't have been cut/things that could go either way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

They definitely didn't need the extra African stuff including the dudes who show up for 2 minutes to ride horses

I liked that bit. It changes the context of Superman saving Lois slightly.

I feel like you could have put 15 minutes or so back into the movie instead of the full 30 though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Superman wrecking the missile and drone is cool. More horses is cool, even if those guys themselves were redundant.

Guy A. Person posted:

If they added the Clark Kent stuff and the cops watching football to the Theatrical it would be perfect.

Also, Communion, the most baffling exclusion since it's short, awesome, and the least intrusive of the long-term storytelling stuff.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Also, Communion, the most baffling exclusion since it's short, awesome, and the least intrusive of the long-term storytelling stuff.

I'm actually pretty neutral on this. I liked it a lot but I also like the cut to just the upside down painting and leaving it ambiguous. I could honestly go either way on it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm actually pretty neutral on this. I liked it a lot but I also like the cut to just the upside down painting and leaving it ambiguous. I could honestly go either way on it.

I generally like ambiguity, but not if it's at the cost of a holographic demon in a pool of blood.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My wife thought Steppenwolf was a projection of Luthor, so it confused her even worse. "He's secretly a demon?!?!?"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I still think they should've left the other videos out or as a teaser or extra credits scene. Wonder Woman is important but the other guys felt like unnecessary teasing. Marvel did it well with mjolnir in Hulk and Nick Fury in Iron Man 1. I know the symbols, that's a good teaser, and agreed they should've kept the football scene.

Overall the Ultimate edition brings up my biggest disappointment with SS in that there's a severe lack of setting. There's nothing visually interesting about Midway City. The prison is really generic max security except here's a cage in the center of a large room like a reverse panopticon for some reason while everyone else is in a tiny cell. The opening from BvS with the reverse Metropolis fight seen from a human POV was legit amazing, probably the best scene in a cape film on its own and nothin in SS had that same grandeur. The editing was schizophrenic and jumpy and I'm sure someone will defend that as being intentional but I don't enjoy that kind of action.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

al-azad posted:

I still think they should've left the other videos out or as a teaser or extra credits scene. Wonder Woman is important but the other guys felt like unnecessary teasing. Marvel did it well with mjolnir in Hulk and Nick Fury in Iron Man 1. I know the symbols, that's a good teaser, and agreed they should've kept the football scene.

I guess there's not really a lot of point in having a Justice League post credits teaser if the company has already publicly announced the Justice League film and released cast photos and stuff

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I guess there's not really a lot of point in having a Justice League post credits teaser if the company has already publicly announced the Justice League film and released cast photos and stuff

Its more of a pacing issue. We're reaching a pivotal moment but let's take time out to watch some candid YouTube videos. It would've been better to roll the splash screens and heart pounding music, give the audience a breather, cut to the big reveal for these new characters, queue credit crawl.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

al-azad posted:

Its more of a pacing issue. We're reaching a pivotal moment but let's take time out to watch some candid YouTube videos. It would've been better to roll the splash screens and heart pounding music, give the audience a breather, cut to the big reveal for these new characters, queue credit crawl.

For me, it reads as one of the final straws for Wonder woman to come out of hiding. Doomsday may be just the first of folks who can/might gently caress the planet up just by existing, look at what flash does to the environment when using his powers. It's her taking a stand again after leaving the world of men.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bushisms.txt posted:

For me, it reads as one of the final straws for Wonder woman to come out of hiding. Doomsday may be just the first of folks who can/might gently caress the planet up just by existing, look at what flash does to the environment when using his powers. It's her taking a stand again after leaving the world of men.

Flash made shiny lights. He didn't exactly blow up any milk cartons.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

Flash made shiny lights. He didn't exactly blow up any milk cartons.

To be fair, some stuff gets knocked over as well. :colbert:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

To be fair, some stuff gets knocked over as well. :colbert:

That's from him hitting the thief, I'm talking about the power surge that knocks out the lights.

Usually, the speed force is some pseudo intangible macguffin that speedsters can tap into, but Snyder has made it mythical by grounding it to natural elemental frequencies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bushisms.txt posted:

That's from him hitting the thief, I'm talking about the power surge that knocks out the lights.

Usually, the speed force is some pseudo intangible macguffin that speedsters can tap into, but Snyder has made it mythical by grounding it to natural elemental frequencies.

Nah, Geoff Johns made a big deal out of the speed force manifesting as lightning in his run on the Flash over a decade ago.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Nah, Geoff Johns made a big deal out of the speed force manifesting as lightning in his run on the Flash over a decade ago.

Did it ever effect things like this, and shut down power when in use or was it just like an artistic thing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bushisms.txt posted:

Did it ever effect things like this, and shut down power when in use or was it just like an artistic thing?

Yes and Wally's internal narration made note of the visible lightning the force manifested as. He also noted an atmospheric effect that smelled like burning rubber.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Yes and Wally's internal narration made note of the visible lightning the force manifested as. He also noted an atmospheric effect that smelled like burning rubber.

That's cool. I wonder why that didn't take off. The new flash show doesn't touch on this at all.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Could be maybe at that point in BvS, Barry didn't really have full control over his powers, causing him to short out electronic components and whatnot. In the Justice League SDCC trailer, when Barry enters the speed force you can see lightning hit and spark off the surroundings in his hideout but all his equipment remains unaffected. NERDTALK.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bushisms.txt posted:

That's cool. I wonder why that didn't take off. The new flash show doesn't touch on this at all.

Every writer wants to do his own thing. Hell later Johns came back to the book but it was the recently returned Barry Allen instead of Wally West so the speed force behaved totally different for him as he was revealed to be the source of it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bushisms.txt posted:

The Flash TV show has Barry throwing lightning a few times, even though it doesn't really work that well usually.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

The Flash TV show has Barry throwing lightning a few times, even though it doesn't really work that well usually.

Flash TV show Barry is an idiot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

The Flash TV show has Barry throwing lightning a few times, even though HE doesn't really work that well usually.
"Watching Barry futz around on the Flash Show is like watching two retards loving a doorknob."

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 23, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
99% of his issues would be resolved if he didn't just stop in front of every bad guy and just punched them in the face as soon as he ran up.

99% of Oliver's issues would be solved if he just had a five second conversation with each team member every hour where they just told the truth.

I'm really sick of Flash being "Believe in your self" and Arrow being "no more secrets, well, just this last time".

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I saw this tonight. I didn't enjoy it very much as a piece of storytelling. Lovely to look at in places though.

The stakes stayed so goddamn flat for most of it. The antagonists get their big world-eater going in like the first half-hour, and so there's nothing to percolate for the Squad. They don't get to work together to try and stop anything and, critically, they don't really fail at anything as a team.

It's a pretty common third act (of five) for a struggling team to miss the deadline somehow--the bad guys turn on the weapon, the girl is kidnapped after all, etc. so it felt like we started with an intro, went straight to the third, then powered back to like, maybe the second act, but the conceit was super thin for me. Structurally it just had so much working against it. Making an ensemble legit to an audience in an in-story time span of like six hours is hard and they really didn't use any of the good tricks to make it work.

It felt frequently to me like events and dialogue were happening because of assumptions the story architects were making about the characters--like, assumptions about set pieces and the like that needed to occur, instead of operating on what the characters would otherwise feel or say. Several scenes just felt strangely arranged to me. Like--why have a talk about how they're going to kill Flagg, but then immediately remember once Flagg is being dragged away by bad guys that "if he dies, we die!" It seems like the answer is to show how the Squad can agree on something, but it just makes them look like a bunch of geeks.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The fight against the Enchantress after the Incubus thing was blown up was boring.

EDIT: The whole thing was boring really except for the Fire God bit, and even that only brought things up to "Ok, that's a neat design to try to use".

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
irredeemable crap

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Batman v Superman was actually really quite decent! The biggest complaint I have is that I really didn't need to see yet another killing of Bruce's parents. Movie could have used more Lex too but overall it was one of Snyder's better efforts for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, seriously, did they ever actually say what Killer Croc did? He never really got a flashback or anything, and the resulting idea that he was literally solely arrested for the crime of "being a crocodile-man" is inexplicably hilarious to me. I think I already asked this but I'm not sure if anyone answered me, this thread moves pretty fast.

Also: did El Diablo just straight up die when the bomb went off? That seemed... unceremonious, for a character who had been getting a decent amount of focus prior.

• Locked thread