Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I remember reading some cool fantasy novels in the 5th or 6th grade. They were a series, all by the same author. I have no idea who or what they were about but I remember that the artwork on the front of the books was pretty cool (all hardcover) and they were fairly lengthy for being in an elementary school library.

I really wish I could remember literally anything about these drat fantasy novels but elementary school was a really long time ago and my memory sucks big time.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's...not a lot to go on. I mean, could be the Drizzt series, Shannara, Dragonriders of Pern...

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Santheb posted:

I remember reading some cool fantasy novels in the 5th or 6th grade. They were a series, all by the same author. I have no idea who or what they were about but I remember that the artwork on the front of the books was pretty cool (all hardcover) and they were fairly lengthy for being in an elementary school library.

I really wish I could remember literally anything about these drat fantasy novels but elementary school was a really long time ago and my memory sucks big time.

Wizard's First Rule.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

^I don't think so. These books may have been more adventure-y. I still live in the same town so I might just go to that drat school and see if they're still there and see just what these books were. I swear I read like three of them though, took the reading comprehension tests on them and everything.

Geirskogul posted:

That's...not a lot to go on. I mean, could be the Drizzt series, Shannara, Dragonriders of Pern...

Oh I don't expect anybody to get it based on that. Just thinking out loud here really. Wasn't Drizzt though thats for sure.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 23, 2016

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
The TV Kid. I'm sure I'm twisting the plot but a boy who is obsessed with television shows gets bitten by a poisonous rattlesnake and slowly dies near an abandoned house. His method of staying alive and or keeping sane is remembering episodes of Emergency!, Columbo and similar.

Yes we read this in 5th grade. I have a feeling I will be totally let down upon re reading it

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wicker Man posted:

Wizard's First Rule.

This is it though. Those shits were long.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Santheb posted:

Lord of the Rings?

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
Some book where wizards have 9 lives. I think there's a dimension-hopping head wizard who goes around picking up prospective magic users.

A really weird YA novel with a group of teens who get stuck in an enormous underground chamber with stairs going everywhere and a sheer drop into the abyss on all sides. Food gets dispensed to them but only after they do some sort of dance, and the whole thing turns out to be a government experiment in conditioning.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
oh I remember one

story about two kids stranded in a spaceship and they have a pet space ferret with more than four legs that keeps reacting to some space thing on board

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Scary stories to tell in the dark.

Also, batshit insane books about cryptids.

Anything with dinosaurs.

A novel about a guy who hunts a giant alligator and then regrets killing it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If you're identifying books, I'd love to find this one

A boy gets transported to what I think was a dreamland junkyard or interdimensional trash heap
There is a possibly-robotic half-donkey (head) pal that he hangs out there with
I think the whole thing is the boy trying to get home or wake up
I remember the cover sort of, like a lilac-and-orange sunset, boy and donkey thing silhouetted walking to the left into the distance, a big pile of junk in bottom right

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

green chicken feet posted:

If anyone could tell me what series this is, I'd appreciate it... it was about a boy and his family - I think? - trying to survive in a nuclear winter setting. I think there were mutants around. It was the first post-apocalyptic story I recall reading, and it was published in the '80s or earlier.

The Chrysalids?

Man, I loved My Side of the Mountain, Hatchet, and Julie of the Wolves. The Wolves series was kinda neat because it followed an Inuit girl.

I wanna read some of these weird books.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Castle in the Attic was the poo poo.

Seconding this.

This thread inspired me to hunt down a book that I was 90% sure I had just hallucinated.

It's called Uncovered!, and it's really weird. The original cover art was a menacing illustration of a cat which led me to think it would be a collection of short horror a la Scary Stories. The only story I remember is the last one, called "Pubic Hare." A kid named Peter Hare is the first in his class to grow pubes and all the others mock him for it but because he has a psychic mentor he hangs out with, he develops his own psychic powers and makes all the other boys suddenly grow pubic hair.

smilehigh
Nov 2, 2010

RUUUUUNNNNNNNN

Smith Comma John posted:

Some book where wizards have 9 lives. I think there's a dimension-hopping head wizard who goes around picking up prospective magic users.

This sounds like Dianna Wynne Jones' Chrestomamci books

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

green chicken feet posted:

If anyone could tell me what series this is, I'd appreciate it... it was about a boy and his family - I think? - trying to survive in a nuclear winter setting. I think there were mutants around. It was the first post-apocalyptic story I recall reading, and it was published in the '80s or earlier.

Yellow Ant posted:

The Chrysalids?

Thanks! I looked this one up and it sounds very close to what I was picturing. One thing that strikes me as different is apparently in the Chrysalids the weather is warmer, but I thought I recalled people foraging in the snow and maybe even the title had something to do with winter or snow. But maybe I remembered foraging and added the snow aspect.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Santheb posted:

I remember something like this as well from my elementary school days, except the guy wrote sci-fi about clones and the like and our school library had a ton of them. We even got the author to show up and do a presentation but since this was the early to mid '80s, my mind has completely blanked on the entire thing. It had to be when I was in the first to second grade, so maybe around 1983-1985. I remember nothing about it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
There was a book I read in class once that was about a rash of kidnappings that happened irl when the author was a kid and it was written from the viewpoint of three different kids in three different narrator perspectives (third, second and first).

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
An illustrated story about a monster who made pizza.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
oh i thought of another one! i read a book about a future society that lived in domes after a nuclear war. it was kind of like Logans Run but hosed up in a different way. there where different classes of people based on how many cybernetic implants your brain can take. people who cant take any implant get to be nerve stapled and turned into the slave class.

the story is about a fat spoiled cyber kid that end up getting lost on the outside of the dome city. he finds a tribe of "primitive" humans that dont use cybernetic upgrades and they go back and make society a better place yadda yadda. there was a sequel where they go to another dome city full of psychics. what is it called? I can never remember

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

oh i thought of another one! i read a book about a future society that lived in domes after a nuclear war. it was kind of like Logans Run but hosed up in a different way. there where different classes of people based on how many cybernetic implants your brain can take. people who cant take any implant get to be nerve stapled and turned into the slave class.

the story is about a fat spoiled cyber kid that end up getting lost on the outside of the dome city. he finds a tribe of "primitive" humans that dont use cybernetic upgrades and they go back and make society a better place yadda yadda. there was a sequel where they go to another dome city full of psychics. what is it called? I can never remember
I hope someone does. This sounds v. interesting.

aurasuvi
May 14, 2009

smilehigh posted:

This sounds like Dianna Wynne Jones' Chrestomamci books

Yup, the first one was Charmed Life and I could never find any of the others in Finnish libraries so I never found out how the story continued.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
book where the main character was a teenage girl in a bad car accident an dhad her consciousness transferred into a c himpanzee's body

also the world was dying and at the end hundreds of people committed suicide together by walking into the ocean with their pockets full of rocks

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

book where the main character was a teenage girl in a bad car accident an dhad her consciousness transferred into a c himpanzee's body

also the world was dying and at the end hundreds of people committed suicide together by walking into the ocean with their pockets full of rocks

This isn't a Kurt Vonnegut book but it sounds like a Kurt Vonnegut book.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Poppy is about a mouse who goes on a quest to not get eaten by owls.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
When I was really little, in the late '80s, I had one of those large 8x12 books that was like an encyclopedia of folklore creatures, but all the art was really nice, kind of dark/hazy watercolour drawings. I've never been able to find it again.

aurasuvi
May 14, 2009
In the evil-doll genre, a book with a doll that took on the appearance of anyone who....brushed its hair, I think? And the brusher turned into the doll. The front cover was creepy as gently caress even though it was just the doll's face but with one eye squinting.

Oh and another one with a girl who found/had/got a dollhouse with a family of dolls (the dollhouse was modelled after the actual house she was in) and no matter how she set them up they always ended up in the same positions and it turned out they were re-enacting a murder in the house.

Why so many scary doll books?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Anyone remember the Mindwarp books?

They were a blatant Animorphs-wannabe in the late 90s that were somewhat hard to find. Every cover had a part that was done in chrome cause "the year 2000" or whatever. It was about a bunch of kid acquaintances who all developed some unique B-list superhero powers because of Aliens or some poo poo, I can't remember.

The only bit that stuck out was each book for the first six was done from the perspective of a lone narrator, then in book seven or whatever was the big Avengers team-up and each chapter jumped POV "Game of Thrones"-style. The POV-jump wasn't the unique part, it was that in each chapter every protagonist bitched about how their power was useless and they wish they had any of the other kids' powers. The boy who trances out to become a martial arts master when threatened was mad because he couldn't turn his power on/off, Aquagirl was upset because she's loving Aquagirl, Language Boy doesn't have offensive powers, Clarivoyant Girl doesn't get augmented, wah wah wah it's like puberty or some poo poo. Except for the girl who shot electricity from her hands, I recall she was p. loving psyched with her lot in life.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Acne Rain posted:

Journey to Terezor, I think.
I remember it had an interesting setting where aliens abduct entire towns and take them into trumen show domes on another planet.
The aliens are all dead and the Orbs rule in their place, and also they reprogram an orb to be on their side.
Also there's a plant that will turn you into any alien depending on what dirt is on its roots... that part was dumb

So I found this and read it. Was definitely Journey to Terezor I was thinking of. Turns out it was a pretty bad book. The plant thing was a fruit that if you ate it and then ate some dirt from an alien planet, you would turn into one of those aliens.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

nomadologique posted:

Probably Eva by Peter Dickinson.

The one with the building full of stairs was answered upthread, it's House of Stairs by William Sleator.

The one with the dollhouse murder I think is called The Dollhouse Murder.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
took place in America in the 1700s or 1800s or some old time

there was this English kid who was raised by Indians until he was a teenager but then his English parents found him and wanted to have him back but he didn't want to go back and his Indian family wanted to keep him

there was one part where the Indian chief was really upset that English people said "god drat" because it meant that the great spirit must burn in flames forever. idk why but that part has always really stuck with me

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Indian in the Cupboard

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I guess nobody's heard about the weird evil wizard ladies with the pink hair (which wasn't an anime as far as I know). I've actually tried to find the name of the trilogy online many times but always failed. Maybe I just imagined it, or at least the pink hair part.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Someone already told me the title of this book recently in another thread but I already forgot. I think it was Godslayer

Anyway, American solider at Vietnam throws himself on a grenade to save his squad mates. Finds himself transport to a fantasy land where he is an elf body. His magic using love interest looks into his brain to implant magic locks or something on him and while in there she is freaking out because his brain is all hosed up because the Veitnam war is so horrible that this level of PTSD is incomprehensible to anyone in this fantasy world.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Smith Comma John posted:

A really weird YA novel with a group of teens who get stuck in an enormous underground chamber with stairs going everywhere and a sheer drop into the abyss on all sides. Food gets dispensed to them but only after they do some sort of dance, and the whole thing turns out to be a government experiment in conditioning.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Another one I can't remember the name of was kind of like Cube, but instead of a series of cubes it was a series of Escher style staircases that would go on for ages. At one point they met some obscenely fat girl that got stuck in there with them, but all she did was hang out next to this glowing sphere and repeatedly stick her tongue out at it. Every time she stuck her tongue out it would give her some kind of salty pork-like product. They kept trying to convince her to help them escape, but she just wanted to sit on her rear end eating slim-jims. If anyone know what the holy hell this book is please let me know.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it. It's called, fittingly enough, House of Stairs.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

the trump tutelage posted:

When I was really little, in the late '80s, I had one of those large 8x12 books that was like an encyclopedia of folklore creatures, but all the art was really nice, kind of dark/hazy watercolour drawings. I've never been able to find it again.

I think I know these, my dad still has them at my parents house. One is a black book on ghosts and evil spirits, one on dragons and other mystical creatures, one on aliens, and another about psychic stuff. They all had the same detailed water color paintings.

My favorite story involved a tough Russian dude wrestling a ghost/zombie creature that curses the dude because he's a sore loser.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 25, 2016

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
I think the large black books with the watercolor paintings were part of a Time-Life series. We had two of them: one about ghosts and one about knights / medieval stuff, I think. Fascinating books. That's where I learned about the Black Plague.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

Someone already told me the title of this book recently in another thread but I already forgot. I think it was Godslayer

That sounds awesome.

I can never remember much about this book. I read it in the mid 90s. It's about a girl who has photographic memory. She really likes dinosaurs. This store had a dinosaur thing with feathers and she gets obsessed with the idea of dinosaurs with feathers. Some kid tries to stop her from checking it out. She ends up getting a message on her computer from someone. Both her and the dude have dinosaur themed IM names. She gets sent into the past or something and there are dinosaurs. Some other poo poo happens. At some point the dude reveals that dinosaurs had feathers and also evolved into people. Like both mammals and dinosaurs evolved into people. Only the people that evolved from dinosaurs had photographic memory and it might have had a super power kinda thing to it. The book is ridiculous looking back but at the time evolving from dinosaurs seemed really sweet.

The other one is about a knight in training at a castle. Some wizard shows up and does a magic display during the feast. The boy digs magic and sneaks out to follow the wizard. He ask to be taught by him and the wizard agrees to bring him to a magic academy place. He gets a room above a blacksmith and applies at magic school. He gets accepted and is assigned a mentor. Wizard learning goes well but it turns out his mentor is a bad guy. He's trying to summon demons. The kid falls back on his knight training and stabs him in the guts with a sword. He gets kicked out of wizard school for using a weapon.

If anyone has a clue regarding these two thanks.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
it's Cam Jansen I think it was mentioned already

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I remember a book that had lots of colour pictures. But it wasn't a big book. Story was something about these two kids who got a key and went into a kind of forest(?) and they found a big rock or boulder that had a keyhole in it. They put the key in and it fit and it opened and I think it led them to a magical place with dancing and toadstools and maybe Duke Ellington and his band were playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Santheb posted:

David Edding's Belgariad series?

• Locked thread