Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

That article was more positive about the future of smaller anime publishers than I expected, I assumed that they were more just straight up hosed. Anime publishers are going to try to break up this arrangement in some ways, but I'm pretty sure that's going to be through doing more things themselves, rather than through a company like Sentai.

do you mean production companies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Parallax posted:

do you mean production companies?

Yea that

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

production companies aren't really the small guy here and there was never a chance of them getting "hosed." the worst thing that can happen is they ask too much for licensing fees and get rejected. which isn't great but sometimes the production companies in japan seem to have a distorted view of how well anime is doing overseas

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Parallax posted:

production companies aren't really the small guy here and there was never a chance of them getting "hosed." the worst thing that can happen is they ask too much for licensing fees and get rejected. which isn't great but sometimes the production companies in japan seem to have a distorted view of how well anime is doing overseas

I mean the smaller american anime companies then.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i'd say most anime licensors already work with crunchy or depend more on disc sales anyway. the main thing i see with this is what the guy said, which is more focus on stuff like daisuki, where the anime production companies in japan own a stake in the service, so there's less or no middleman, similar to what hulu is in the US

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

I mean the smaller american anime companies then.
What smaller American anime companies? The disc companies have more money, more employees, and more operations all around. Pretty sure they pay their translators about the same, too. Crunchyroll has a bigger brand through years of reaching more people more cheaply, but that view of relative sizes of the anime industry is grossly distorted. It's one of the smallest players in the industry, and its position almost entirely comes from busting the door down with piracy until they got threatened into shutting down and went legit instead. The American anime industry hated that because they were too entrenched to do it on their own, but Crunchyroll showed them up with efficiency in delivering anime faster than anyone else until Japanese licensors got over Crunchyroll's rep because it was earning them money on top of DVD sales. But until that happened it fought these "small" companies who had tons more leverage with a very small handful of employees.

Up until around 2012, I know for sure that Funimation was at least 10 times larger than Crunchyroll, if not much more.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to start an anime licensing company since I guess they just print money

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In Training posted:

I'm going to start an anime licensing company since I guess they just print money
only if you don't license a bunch of crap shows from the 60s

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

obviously the real money is in making anime

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

only if you don't license a bunch of crap shows from the 60s

Idk Discotek seems to be doing alright

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klp3kzCM-OA

new peev, this time with voices. "tsuki??"

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Space Flower posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klp3kzCM-OA

new peev, this time with voices. "tsuki??"

It'd be so cool if this came to theaters stateside. Also other places for my wacky foreign forums friends.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

We got the third Madoka movie and the Psycho-Pass one in Canada, so I have my hopes up that this will come over too.

There doesn't seem to be any easy way to find out when it happens though - Psycho-Pass I only found by chance, a day or two before it happened. Madoka was pretty full, but I guess that was just from word of mouth?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Armor-Piercing posted:

We got the third Madoka movie and the Psycho-Pass one in Canada, so I have my hopes up that this will come over too.

There doesn't seem to be any easy way to find out when it happens though - Psycho-Pass I only found by chance, a day or two before it happened. Madoka was pretty full, but I guess that was just from word of mouth?

Yeah, you either have to be following the right accounts on twitter or checking anime news sites. Or reading seasonal/chat threads, most anime movie showings seem to be posted in one or both.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
By the way, when I mentioned Western works I'd like to see as anime earlier, I forgot to mention Shakespeare's Second Tetralogy. Apparently there's a mecha anime of Romeo and Juliet, which just seems bizarre to me. You'd think mecha in Henry IV Part 1 would make more sense, but nobody's tried it.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 10, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think there is a mecha of romeo and juliet? correct me if i'm wrong but the only romeo and juliet anime I'm aware of is Romeo × Juliet, which turns it into a fantasy.

And is a bit of a shakespeare's greatest hits. A lot of characters from other Shakespeare works appear in supporting roles.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 10, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

I don't think there is a mecha of romeo and juliet? correct me if i'm wrong but the only romeo and juliet anime I'm aware of is Romeo × Juliet, which turns it into a fantasy.

They might mean 08th MS Team?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I remember seeing a couple episodes of Romeo x Juliet in my anime club at my old university, and the best I could describe it was that it felt like watching a Fire Emblem anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I remember seeing a couple episodes of Romeo x Juliet in my anime club at my old university, and the best I could describe it was that it felt like watching a Fire Emblem anime
romeo x juliet is a lot better than the actual fire emblem anime

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

New Euphonium 2 pv and also it's going to be an hour long premier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Di5swwzxg

:siren: hand-holding at 00:00:14

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

And is a bit of a shakespeare's greatest hits. A lot of characters from other Shakespeare works appear in supporting roles.

Looking it up, I guess you're right. I probably got the idea that there were mecha in it from a discussion on the ANN forums several years ago about mecha anime cliches where someone mentioned it. Something about Juliet crossdressing and it fooling people the way Char clones wearing masks fools people? Or am I conflating two different discussions?

Speaking of which, I liked the bit in Iron-Blooded Orphans where Mika recognizes McGillis despite the mask and wig because McGillis doesn't bother changing his voice.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 10, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That sounds about right, since Juliet does crossdress and wear a mask at several points in the anime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On the other hand, I suppose I should mention that Gankutsuou is a mecha anime version of The Count of Monte Cristo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://streamable.com/j6jp

demi-chan pv, godawful music choice

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Davincie posted:

Music seemed alright to me, and the art style isn't too bad. I still think they missed on Hikari, though. And the teacher guy's hair needs to be a little bit longer, I think.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

what the heck

spoilers! hurry up translation team

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

wait thats the sister

i didnt imagine her as a red-head

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Darth Walrus posted:

On the other hand, I suppose I should mention that Gankutsuou is a mecha anime version of The Count of Monte Cristo.

this doesn't sound right, i would have heard of the show if it were such! by general accounts it does not sound like giant robots are involved

...however, it still sounds very interesting and I am likely to try it at some point, thank you for bringing it to my attention

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

this doesn't sound right, i would have heard of the show if it were such! by general accounts it does not sound like giant robots are involved

...however, it still sounds very interesting and I am likely to try it at some point, thank you for bringing it to my attention
there are mechs in gankutsuou but they only have a prominent role in one episode, they aren't really what the story is about

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Davincie posted:

I know "snow woman" is the literal translation of yuki onna but :lol: at that.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI_fgwbmJg0

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Might've been mentioned, but the first Magus' Bride OVA is up on CR.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Motto posted:

Might've been mentioned, but the first Magus' Bride OVA is up on CR.

Someone watch it and tell me whether it's a prequel or not so we can finally settle the drat question. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

The sword-fighting duels of the original Dumas novel are replaced with giant robot battles. It's not the main draw, but it happens.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet but Redline director Koike is working on another new Lupin project. This time it's a Goemon movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJbdrllipvw

Jigen's Gravestone is a tough act to follow, but I believe in him.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Davincie posted:

Okay, I'm feeling a lot better about this now. They missed on one, but ... I can like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Someone watch it and tell me whether it's a prequel or not so we can finally settle the drat question. :v:

https://twitter.com/illegenes/status/774711517363200000

• Locked thread