Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Which frsky rx module are folks using in quads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Geburan posted:

I use the XSR or D4R-ii. The XSR I run sbus, the D4R I run CPPM. I have a few quads with these installed.

I use an X8R in my glider.

I got a pair of the Hobbyking knockoff ACCST modules, they should do SBus and telemtry, for $18, and are fairly small -- ordered today with some backordered OrangeRX stuff, so who knows when it arrives.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Geburan posted:

X4R-SB. Can run sbus (which is quicker than CPPM apparently). Also has telemetry.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My boss at work just offered to hang a hook from his Phantom 3 to rescue my drones. Internet successes to the contrary, I declined on the basis that I don't want three drones lost up there :v:

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It's a rite of passage. I have an emax nighthawk stuck in a pine tree in a park in Denver.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Got to admit it's rather nuked my will to try them again, though. I can't afford to replace even $250 of quadcopter right now.

Boss is being insistent on mounting a rescue operation with his Phantom though, so maybe it'll come back. More likely though there'll be three quads on that goddamn roof instead of two. :sigh:

(edit) Can the RC transmitter it came with be re-bound somehow to another drone's receiver, or is that sort of thing hard locked? Maybe if I can at least reuse the transmitter Sanchezz sent me it won't be quite so complete a disaster.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 12, 2016

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Very likely can be reused.

Also, call the fire department and ask really, really nicely? Maybe they'll want to play with a ladder truck.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tried that one with 311, the lady was very polite in saying they couldn't do that. didn't want to admit here that I'd tried that :shobon:

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I say let your boss try his Phantom.

He's probably going to just hook it enough to tumble it off the roof into a billion pieces below, but worst case if it also gets stuck, now there's a thousand dollars worth of drones up there, and somebody is going to care enough to make them all come down.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ciaphas posted:

Got to admit it's rather nuked my will to try them again, though. I can't afford to replace even $250 of quadcopter right now.

Boss is being insistent on mounting a rescue operation with his Phantom though, so maybe it'll come back. More likely though there'll be three quads on that goddamn roof instead of two. :sigh:

(edit) Can the RC transmitter it came with be re-bound somehow to another drone's receiver, or is that sort of thing hard locked? Maybe if I can at least reuse the transmitter Sanchezz sent me it won't be quite so complete a disaster.

Wait how'd you lose two? I thought it was just one up there.

insta posted:

Very likely can be reused.

Also, call the fire department and ask really, really nicely? Maybe they'll want to play with a ladder truck.
Yeah if your fire department has a non emergency line I'd try that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

Wait how'd you lose two? I thought it was just one up there.

After I lost the Eachine I felt I needed to get an idea of where on the roof it landed, so I sent up the cheapie Syma. They're both friends up there now because I underestimated how quickly the Syma ran out of range and cut its motors. Basically, I'm incredibly loving stupid. (But at least as a result I know where both of them are.)

I might try calling the local FD directly tonight instead of going through 311, which is what I tried last time

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 13, 2016

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I'd wander down to your firestation directly with cookies and/or cold beer, too impersonal on the phone. Really suck up to them. Say they'll get to fly the eachine after they retrieve it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

No dice, bound by policy and truck availability. Oh well, they appreciated the cookies and were cool to talk to :shobon:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The gently caress? That thing still on the roof?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

No dice, bound by policy and truck availability. Oh well, they appreciated the cookies and were cool to talk to :shobon:

What radio did he send? What kind of batteries do you still have for it?

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
Could we get a picture of this roof/how they're stuck?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

insta posted:

What radio did he send? What kind of batteries do you still have for it?

Radio is a clone of the i6, takes 6? Rechargeable AAs or a lipo which didn't come with the kit.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Is the underlying protocol spektrum, flysky, or what?

Also I meant batteries for the quad. :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

The gently caress? That thing still on the roof?

Yup! It's pretty aggravating!

sigseven posted:

Sure, if there's enough light by the time I get off work tomorrow. Supposed to be stupid high winds tomorrow so maybe I'll get lucky and they'll get knocked off the roof, though. Fingers crossed :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

insta posted:

He's probably going to just hook it enough to tumble it off the roof into a billion pieces below, but worst case if it also gets stuck, now there's a thousand dollars worth of drones up there, and somebody is going to care enough to make them all come down.
This.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

sigseven posted:

Yea, I'm having trouble with this. How is the roof too high for a ladder but it doesn't have any sort of roof access? Or a fire escape? Do you just need a bigger ladder? If that's the case, call a tree service or something and offer them 20 bucks to use their ladder for 5 minutes.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
No I now like the turducken plan of ever increasing multirotors until a full blown Chinook is involved.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Strand more and more drones on that roof until it collapses under the weight, allowing to recover them easily.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

subx posted:

Yea, I'm having trouble with this. How is the roof too high for a ladder but it doesn't have any sort of roof access? Or a fire escape? Do you just need a bigger ladder? If that's the case, call a tree service or something and offer them 20 bucks to use their ladder for 5 minutes.

Believe me, I tried; all the local tree services climb the drat things with some sort of belt thing instead of a ladder or boom. (Which blew my mind, by the way, when I first heard it. Brass balls on those guys, the palms they trim are like 60ft.)

Drone #1, the Eachine, circled. Couldn't reach it with a toss of carabiner on rope or similar, and my tosses were sometimes hitting the windows instead of the roof, so I gave up.

Drone #2, the Syma, the white bit close to the top middle of the frame. Still not close enough to the corner to be visible from nearer the building. I could probably get this one with more effort and luck with the rope, but I'm more concerned about the Eachine.

Bonus picture: me threatening to chokeslam red-nosed catte (not really)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 13, 2016

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Blast them off with a hose

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

insta posted:

Is the underlying protocol spektrum, flysky, or what?

Also I meant batteries for the quad. :)

FlySky, sorry. And I sent 7 or 8 batteries with the package.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Any tree trimmers in the area? My dad was one for 30 something years, and he'd always use his boom to help a kid out (no drones back in the 70s/80s) who asked nicely to get a Frisbee or something down from a roof. If you showed up with cookies or a pizza, I'd bet they'd help.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Ciaphas I'm putting together the bits for a charity build for you.

Do you want a little 250 like you had, or a larger 450?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

insta posted:

Blast them off with a hose

Maybe you're on to something, but I don't think we get enough water pressure to power the water the 50ft up or so required. I'll check after work.

insta posted:

Ciaphas I'm putting together the bits for a charity build for you.

Do you want a little 250 like you had, or a larger 450?

:unsmith: That's really kind of you, but accepting something like this would just make me feel really guilty, it's my fault the things are up there in the first place.

I'll probably buy a new 250 bind-and-fly or ARF kit someday, if it's true that the transmitter Sanchezz sent me can be re-bound and I can't rescue mine from the roof.

Shampoo posted:

Any tree trimmers in the area? My dad was one for 30 something years, and he'd always use his boom to help a kid out (no drones back in the 70s/80s) who asked nicely to get a Frisbee or something down from a roof. If you showed up with cookies or a pizza, I'd bet they'd help.

Yeah, but as I mentioned they use some kind of belt and pulley arrangement and not a boom or ladder, so no roof climbs. (Funny story, when I was chatting with the firemen yesterday I mentioned this, and one of them told me how they had one guy who tried to jump from one palm to the other, grab it and belt in so he didn't have to climb down and back up. It didn't end well.)

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If you're going to buy a new ARF, pitch the money my way, and you'll get better parts that will actually bind to your radio. :) I was going to get a few bits online and raid my parts bins to put something together.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Buy a bunch of lengths of pvc pipe and fashion a long bendy pole. Then knock the drone down. I've seen this done to get a drone from 30ft up a tree.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mashed_penguin posted:

Buy a bunch of lengths of pvc pipe and fashion a long bendy pole. Then knock the drone down. I've seen this done to get a drone from 30ft up a tree.

Hm. 8 foot lengths, tied together with the right amount of duct tape so it can bend without coming apart...

This sounds like a plan. Think I'll stop at Home Depot tonight and get some pipe, tape and a hacksaw.

(edit) Ooh, even better, one long length (or two, to fit in my car) for the vertical and a right angle junction for a sweep arm to hit the drone with. That could actually work and now I'm kind of excited to try it (which means it won't work but I'm used to that :v:)

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Get a helper. Their job is to pull the quad down. Yours is to catch it with a super thick contractor trash bag full of wadded up towels.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Maybe I could get some wire and fashion a hook or two onto the end of the pipe, and get a spotter to guide me toward the drone. It'd be tricky with the distance the spotter would have to stand to see the quad, but safer than counting on my (or anyone else's) ability to catch it, I reckon.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 13, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is a serious option.

1) Go to Home Depot with a Tool Rental center. You can rent a 28' ladder for about $36 for 4 hours.
2) While there buy a Hi-Viz vest for about $5.
3) Go out in the middle of the day and get the drones down yourself.

No one will even care since they're close enough to the edge you can knock them down without walking on the tiles. They'll think you're building maintenance.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Comedy option:

1) Go to local shelter, get a cat
2) Throw the cat on the roof
3) Call FD, while they're getting the cat down say "While you're up there..."

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FCKGW posted:

This is a serious option.

1) Go to Home Depot with a Tool Rental center. You can rent a 28' ladder for about $36 for 4 hours.
2) While there buy a Hi-Viz vest for about $5.
3) Go out in the middle of the day and get the drones down yourself.

No one will even care since they're close enough to the edge you can knock them down without walking on the tiles. They'll think you're building maintenance.

This was the first thing I tried the day I lost them, but any ladder that could get me on to the roof (the Eachine is quite far in) couldn't fit on their trucks. I'd have to get someone else to do the climb too, on account of being too fat for most ladders and scared to death of the climb anyway.

(ed: I could rent a 20' uhaul then go rent the ladder, yes, but at that point I might as well just hire a roofer for $80 to do a "survey" :v:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 13, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

This was the first thing I tried the day I lost them, but any ladder that could get me on to the roof (the Eachine is quite far in) couldn't fit on their trucks. I'd have to get someone else to do the climb too, on account of being too fat for most ladders and scared to death of the climb anyway.

(ed: I could rent a 20' uhaul then go rent the ladder, yes, but at that point I might as well just hire a roofer for $80 to do a "survey" :v:)

A 28' Ladder is only 14' tall, you put it on the roof. Or you put it sideways in the bed of your truck.

I put a 28' in the back of my Ford Flex every December to hang Christmas lights.

Also if you need to find a skinny dude then you can get those guys outside of Home Depot too :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I like the cat idea because it's easy, but easier than the original suggestion made it seem. Because cats are assholes and will knock everything off of any shelf, so you just need a sufficiently large cat, like maybe a bobcat, and a way to get it up there.

Have you considered using your friend's quad to airlift the bobcat onto the roof of the building? Then it's just a waiting game. Quad will probably come down around 3AM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Please don't be mean to cats, they are our friends :( (nah jk they're total assholes and I wish I could effect that idea with Hope sometimes)

My boss still wants to try hooks on fishing line off his Phantom, and won't be dissuaded, so hopefully the PVC pipe plan works out because the very idea of his plan makes me nervous. He assures me he managed to make a successful pickup of a 750 gram basket with it at home, but oh jeez :ohdear: