Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I liked the Rockman-Tokoyami combo attack with doves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Alopex posted:

I liked the Rockman-Tokoyami combo attack with doves.

Cooler than John Wu, even.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Injuryprone posted:

This little fucker

Got his priorities straight

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's quite boring to spend half the chapter in a will they or won't they when won't they is clearly not a valid or possible outcome. Hopefully the next test breaks convention somewhat

I disagree I thought it was quite rad because the how of them passing was both fun and cool AND it also gave us insights into the character development of more focused characters' development and the growth and personal struggles of some of the cast that have not had too much screen time for personal stories yet.

Seeing Electric boy overcome the struggle with his powers, seeing how everyone actually knows each other and trusts each other enough to work together, to the point that even prideful Bakugou was willing to let himself be captured because he trusted Electric Traitor to keep up with his plan and same him with it were all really well done. having someone lose here in the first round would actually kind of kill all the narrative momentum the plot has been building since the Exams, even ignoring my earlier point of having someone lose now is effectively writing them out of the plot at large given the circumstances surrounding class 1-A and A41's super villain crew. This is the culmination of the casts training and growing up and developed bonds so far. The entire point of the Baku rescue arc and summer training was about them seeing how bad poo poo can be and having to grow up together to be real heroes and face what's coming. The previous chapters leading into this test were all about the cast seriously meeditating on how to overcome their own personal flaws and this first part of the test is about them showing the maturity to work together. It's why there's so much Deku/Baku/Iida showcasing how much they know about their teammates. It's all been done really well and is kind of nice to see how far they've come in so little time.

Conversely, after all that build up and danger and drama for someone to go out here in the first round would have been the biggest wettest fart to end all the growing plot threads so far. It'd just be stupid and run completely counter to everything that had happened so far.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
As they say, the journey is more important than the destination. I'm glad it turned out this way. Considering that a big deal has been made about 1-A's experiences toughening them up, and how just to get where they are they had to be a cut above in power, skill, and character, it would have annoyed me greatly to have them stumble at the first stage of these exams in order to, for example, build up the threat level of some nobody from a rival school. The author could have been a little subtler about the whole "time for character x's spotlight moment!" thing, but no matter.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

fuckin lol

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

......Horikoshi with the DEEP loving pull.

For people who don't get it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUOwbcdZozQ

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 22, 2016

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It was guaranteed though. Regardless of story fluff or justifications, there was no chance they weren't all making it through this exam and that meant the attempts at creating tension here was straight garbage. The action and character interaction s good stuff, but the story beats sucked.

I must be a naive sucker then because I totally expected Aoyama to sacrifice himself for the team (Iida too but less likely since he's closer to the main characters) and then got very happy when everyone passed together :unsmith:

JD
Jan 11, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I feel like that's the most Japanese thing I've ever watched

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The actual thing is even older than the video, this was back in.... what, 2002? 2003? I was a weeb and in the anime club and found out about it, and then the rest of the school heard about it, and then it became a performance at Homecoming. It's ANCIENT by meme standards.

If it doesn't make any sense, it's probably because it's probably a denpa song, mind, I didn't know this at the time and only discovered the word in like, 2009? In any case, it's a song that's supposed to prioritize harmony and rhyming over actual intelligibility, which was probably what made it so surreal in the first place.

(Other examples: Fukkireta, rare english version: Interior crocodile alligator.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 22, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think Yaoyozoru is the closest thing to a Batman analogue, ability-wise. Her ability to create anything is dependent entirely on her own personal knowledge about what she needs to make and how to make it and her normal human physical ability to deploy the items she makes effectively. It's not really that far away from Batman's infinite financial resources and utility belt; both of them are physically "normal" humans(insofar as any comic book hero can be considered physically normal) who manage to be superheroes by virtue of having genius level intellects and infinite material resources, they just go about it in different ways.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Just imagine, Loss.jpg is nearing a decade old.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Injuryprone posted:

This little fucker

He appeared to use up all his balls at one point.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JD posted:

I feel like that's the most Japanese thing I've ever watched

How old are you? I feel like yatta was a thing everyone on the internet saw in the early oughts.

Everyone in my high school knew about it, it was everywhere (while not actually being on tv itself)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

RareAcumen posted:

Just imagine, Loss.jpg is nearing a decade old.

loss.jpg will never get old.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
The Volume 10 Omakes are out!

http://bato.to/reader#d876b95e3a526c4e

Of all the people, I wasn't really expecting Kamui Woods to have a tragic backstory. I wonder if we'll ever see something of it!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

VibrantPareidolia posted:

The Volume 10 Omakes are out!

http://bato.to/reader#d876b95e3a526c4e

Of all the people, I wasn't really expecting Kamui Woods to have a tragic backstory. I wonder if we'll ever see something of it!

"From when he started counting."

Oof.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm pretty sure Mineta is also weeping at the sight of Mina's rear end. Or that he ripped all his balls off and is in serious pain. Or both.

http://mangastream.com/r/my_hero_academia/108/3689/18

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Green Intern posted:

I'm pretty sure Mineta is also weeping at the sight of Mina's rear end. Or that he ripped all his balls off and is in serious pain. Or both.

http://mangastream.com/r/my_hero_academia/108/3689/18

He's bleeding heavily from his head so I assume the latter.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think it's pretty cool that they are doing actual heroic stuff and not just fighting in the next part.

KoB
May 1, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

The biggest flaw with this series to me is that I don't know how half these kids passed that initial entrance exam with the robots with the powers they have.

Ojiro passed the test and hes just a normally strong dude with a tail, so its probably passable to regular people.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KoB posted:

Ojiro passed the test and hes just a normally strong dude with a tail, so its probably passable to regular people.

Though quirks, and particularly the right quirks, certainly help. Shinsou was basically meant to be an example of how the test is stacked in a certain way, after all.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
"-is a kickboxer, can also squirt water out of his eyes or something" is a pretty good base for heroics in this manga

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

How old are you? I feel like yatta was a thing everyone on the internet saw in the early oughts.

Everyone in my high school knew about it, it was everywhere (while not actually being on tv itself)

I may have seen it but my drug addled brain did not commit it to memory

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Sparkle on, Aoyama. Sparkle on forever.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

:stare:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This is everything you need to know about anime in a single video.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ahaha, there's one hell of an error message up for this link now.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Hahahaha hahahah what the hell

Aug 24, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

yeah thats been up a couple days, it was pretty fantastic

still havent read its comic, because yknow i cant

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's on Mangastream now too.

108 was the best chapter in a string of great chapters. I can't even pick out a favorite moment.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dreggon posted:

yeah thats been up a couple days, it was pretty fantastic

still havent read its comic, because yknow i cant

Here's it on Batoto.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Just a random thing but a friend of mine finally started reading this and said that Muscular's name should've been "Gainsman". In my head this is his name from now on.

Aug 24, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

Here's it on Batoto.

why did the guy steal a cat in the opening scene?

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Dreggon posted:

He is uhh...petting it?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Do... Do you not know what petting is?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

Do... Do you not know what petting is?

He's a goon. Take that as a given.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Woooooosh

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Woooooosh

does anyone know why his man is making the sound of wind in this response post?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's actually the flushing of a toilet and it is your head that is in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope Deku succeeds in this next round relatively easily instead of having a bunch of "OH NO HE'S ABOUT TO LOSE" fake tension. It kinda bugged me in this last round because, unlike the other UA people, no one (outside of UA) really knows how Deku's updated skill-set works (since it's nothing like what he did during the Sports Festival), and his skills (being generally faster/stronger than other people) would definitely be better than most quirks for such a competition.