Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

cyberia posted:

I hope they release the Simpsons House and Kwik-E-Mart one day. They're probably the only sets I'd consider buying Lepin versions of.

Search for lepin simpsons on AliExpress, they have both :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Shawn posted:

Did you do this with just pieces from the set or did you have to branch out into other pieces you had?

The facade should pretty much all be from the set. The baseplate+sidewalk parts probably weren't, and I think I used some dark gray extra on the backside to make the walls because the original set didn't have a ton of structure.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Welp, a rerelease of Revan is neat but makes me feel worse about shelling out for one last year. I might as well pick up another since the Rogue One sets are out that day.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Was the old Revan expensive? I've had one for years just sitting in a box somewhere.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Was the old Revan expensive? I've had one for years just sitting in a box somewhere.

About $40-50, yeah.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Just got the old Business card holder at a thrift shop for $5. Box is beat to hell, but everything is sealed in bags. Anyone want it? I figured I'd offer to you hella cheap before I ebay it for $30

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Wasn't planning on any Star Wars sets but got the flyer in the mail for the Rouge One sets and drat if the Imperial Shuttle doesn't look bad rear end.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Kilo147 posted:

Just got the old Business card holder at a thrift shop for $5. Box is beat to hell, but everything is sealed in bags. Anyone want it? I figured I'd offer to you hella cheap before I ebay it for $30

Is this literally business card holders or some type of lego I don't know about?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

It's an old lego set. This one. https://www.amazon.com/Lego-Desk-Business-Holder-850425/dp/B0094YXMEO

Except like a third that price

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'll take it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

tomapot posted:

Wasn't planning on any Star Wars sets but got the flyer in the mail for the Rouge One sets and drat if the Imperial Shuttle doesn't look bad rear end.

I was like "good I can just get the AT-ST" then the flyer came and I saw that shot of the shuttle and was like "gently caress"

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I'm going to BrickCon in Seattle next week. First time ever. Taking my kid...

What can I expect in terms of unique swag?

Like SDCC will have toys and exclusives for sale. Is there anything I might want to bring a fat wallet for?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Found that shuttle at Fred Meyer yesterday, so if you have a Kroger nearby go look.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't say I'm too into that shuttle but I do want that windscreen

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

mattfl posted:

Search for lepin simpsons on AliExpress, they have both :)

Would you mind linking to one of them? I searched on AliExpress and couldn't find anything :saddowns:

edit - wait, I found the listings by searching on Google. For some reason they didn't come up when I looked on AliExpress' mobile site. Also, they cost AUD220 each after shipping and my local toy store has both the actual Lego Simpsons House and Kwik E Mart sets for AUD250 each :v:

cyberia fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 20, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just search for Lepin Simpsons. The prices aren't very good right now. I'd recommend just getting them from Ebay at a discount.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

tomapot posted:

Does it store 10 minfigures? What the hell, Lego?

Speaking of knock-offs, Tuesday Morning just got in some KO architecture sets from Block Tech. They are not that bad, no missing peices, everything fits together, not that much flash. Also it's not 1 for 1 with the lego kits. The prices are crazy though, the UN building was $10 for 797 pieces.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Anora posted:

Does it store 10 minfigures? What the hell, Lego?

I assume it means that the list of features are:

- Can store 5 minifigures
- Has a ramp
- Has missile shooters
- Comes with 5 minifigures (and a droid)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Feenix posted:

So I'm going to BrickCon in Seattle next week. First time ever. Taking my kid...

What can I expect in terms of unique swag?

Like SDCC will have toys and exclusives for sale. Is there anything I might want to bring a fat wallet for?

Jack and poo poo. There will be some sellers there, but the big one will be selling current sets, and there will be a couple selling older sets that might be overpriced. Some minifig sellers, and a couple selling apparel, Lego-related things (like those drawstring playmats), Lego jewelry, and a couple of custom piece vendors (like BrickArms). It's crowded, too. Public attendees do get a little swag bag, which typically has included a Brickarms pack and a minifig, maybe a polybag set.
LEGO hasn't had an official retail presence there for years, and they ended the Great Discount Buyout at the Bellevue store the year after my first time there (full members of BrickCon could go to the Bellevue store after-hours and they had a bunch of stuff 50% off--older inventory, damaged boxes, grab bags. You get in a round-robin line, could choose one item, then pay or get back in line. You got to go as many times as you wanted until the inventory was gone. I drove a couple of other guys and they used my VIP card as 'payment', so I got like $35 in rewards that night. LEGO corporate ended the practice worldwide, sadly).

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
How easy / hard / risky is it to order stuff from China?

I've been debating this Super star destroyer more and more and any hurdles on the store front side may steer me away from it.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

w00tazn posted:

How easy / hard / risky is it to order stuff from China?

I've been debating this Super star destroyer more and more and any hurdles on the store front side may steer me away from it.

I got two orders of lepin modulars delivered with no issues from alieexpress. they both gave tracking numbers. Pretty much like buying from anywhere else online.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah, mine showed up faster (by, like, an order of magnitude) than anything else I've ordered from aliexpress. Ordering was about like buying from eBay marketplace. I don't remember seeing anything that indicated that customs looked at it, stamped it, documented it, or gave any kind of gently caress about it.

I'm about halfway through the GG build and don't really have any complaints about what I got for $60. The more I've handled it, the more obvious it's become that they're not quite real LEGO; they just feel a tiiiiny bit lighter weight and the connections feel a tiiiiny bit less solid and there seems to be a tiiiiny bit more wiggle room. But, $60. Unless you're really leaning in and studying it though it looks totally legit, especially if you can manage to replace any big pieces of exposed studs with real LEGO pieces.

The SSD has a poo poo ton of exposed studs though, so maybe the lack of Lego logos and frequent divots would be more noticeable on it than on the modulars.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

SuperSpiff posted:

I also jumped on the Lepin SSD. Done with the superstructure, most of the "core" and now just working on the final cladding. So far all I'm missing is one blue bottom hinge and one right grey 2x4 wedge. The label sticker was also pretty mangled, but I wasn't planning on using it. All in all, not too shabby for what it cost.

Finally finished my Lepin SSD and I'm happy with it. I'd never have paid the $900 bucks or whatever to Bricklink or eBay a real one, and still only had those two missing pieces, which I figure I'll bricklink. Like was mentioned before, connections don't seem quite as tight, and I'll probably have to get one or two technic pieces because the ones supplied were too loose to hold together.

But it looks fantastic. Now to find out where I can actually display it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
It took three days for my green grocer to arrive from China but picking the pieces out from the bags is a huge pain.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Got a reasonably priced Blacktron Renegade (with instructions!) off ebay today. That pretty much puts me just two ships shy of having all the Space Flagships. I still need the Celestial Stinger from Insectoids and the EXT Alien Mothership from Mars Mission. Maybe Stardefender 2000 from Futuron, although that only really qualifies because it's the biggest Futuron set outside of the monorail.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 22, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cloks posted:

It took three days for my green grocer to arrive from China but picking the pieces out from the bags is a huge pain.

This is definitely the worst part.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
When working on my lepin ssd, i put all the small pieces into a small craft/bead/fishing tackle box with about 30 compartments in it. Used some 2 cup plastic bowls for medium pieces and made stacks of the larger blocks and plates. Also had a dozen piles of various bits as well. Needed a coffee table for parts organizing and a 4' long table area to build and another 4' area to put the main build as i worked on the subassemblies.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

jeff8472 posted:

When working on my lepin ssd, i put all the small pieces into a small craft/bead/fishing tackle box with about 30 compartments in it. Used some 2 cup plastic bowls for medium pieces and made stacks of the larger blocks and plates. Also had a dozen piles of various bits as well. Needed a coffee table for parts organizing and a 4' long table area to build and another 4' area to put the main build as i worked on the subassemblies.

I have a coffee table covered in baggies that I'm taking the pieces from as needed. After about fifteen steps I have a relatively concrete mental map of where all the pieces are.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Pyroclastic posted:

Got a reasonably priced Blacktron Renegade (with instructions!) off ebay today. That pretty much puts me just two ships shy of having all the Space Flagships. I still need the Celestial Stinger from Insectoids and the EXT Alien Mothership from Mars Mission. Maybe Stardefender 2000 from Futuron, although that only really qualifies because it's the biggest Futuron set outside of the monorail.

Niiiiice.

I want to reassemble my Deep Freeze Defender some time, but I think I lost one of the garage door rails (the 1xlong brick with the groove that turns down at both ends) and possibly other pieces as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nice catch on that Renegade. I see those giant wing bits in my bin of lego plates every so often and think about seeing how complete I can get it, but haven't actually done it yet because I know I'm missing those yellow hoses and haven't built up the courage to bricklink replacements.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Pyroclastic posted:

No idea how much shipping would be, but I think I have one of those alien motherships in my closet somewhere. Two showed up in a supermarket here 2-3 years ago, completely covered in dust.

Ika fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 22, 2016

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ika posted:

No idea how much shipping would be, but I think I have one of those alien motherships in my closet somewhere. Two showed up in a supermarket here 2-3 years ago, completely covered in dust.

Let me know! I don't need the box, just want the parts, stickers, and instructions. They're <$100 new on Bricklink, and there's a couple on ebay for $65, one with an open box.
The ETX Alien Motherships were just discontinued and off the shelves everywhere when I got back into Lego, so I missed it.

Apollodorus posted:

Niiiiice.

I want to reassemble my Deep Freeze Defender some time, but I think I lost one of the garage door rails (the 1xlong brick with the groove that turns down at both ends) and possibly other pieces as well.

I need to re-assemble some of the ships now that I'm nearly complete. My Galactic Enforcer, Sonar Transmitting Cruiser, Aerial Intruder, Star Hawk II, MX81 Hypersonic Operations Aircraft, and Alien Mothership are all scattered throughout god knows what bins.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 23, 2016

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

So what precisely would I need to buy to add power to the holiday train?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

So what precisely would I need to buy to add power to the holiday train?

"To motorize the engine, purchase items 8879, 8884, 88000, and 88002. Instructions can be found in the back of your building instructions."

($13, $15, $13, $14)

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 23, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it bad that I want someone to make a working Lego steam powered locomotive?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

"To motorize the engine, purchase items 8879, 8884, 88000, and 88002. Instructions can be found in the back of your building instructions."

($13, $15, $13, $14)

Thank you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

Is it bad that I want someone to make a working Lego steam powered locomotive?

I'd be shocked if someone hasn't done it already.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Pyroclastic posted:

($13, $15, $13, $14)

Can you get away with just the motor and the battery pack? I don't really care about speed control or reverse.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
http://brickset.com/article/23648/the-lego-group-takes-action-against-clone-brand-lepin

Get those lepin sets while you can! Although I don't have any idea about the efficacy or efficiency of the Chinese courts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It says it will be at least a year. I don't think there is a rush.