Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I built an airplane with 1.3 video and 2.4 control because I had never had a problem with my RC link flying LOS and I wanted a badass video link. Predictably it would crash behind obstacles while video was still looking decent. I started looking into UHF or even 72mhz for control. Then I realized that the range I was going to get meant I really needed a GPS OSD to find my way back and the whole endeavor was going to be way more hassle than I wanted. Having more fun flying quads on 5.8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Crossfire stuff from TBS sends GPS data back via telemetry, if you have a GPS module. Kind of helpful in retrieving your poo poo. But it's extra weight.

But apparently there's an interference issue with 1.2GHz video. CRSF sends on 868 or 915MHz.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Wojcigitty posted:

I built an airplane with 1.3 video and 2.4 control because I had never had a problem with my RC link flying LOS and I wanted a badass video link. Predictably it would crash behind obstacles while video was still looking decent. I started looking into UHF or even 72mhz for control. Then I realized that the range I was going to get meant I really needed a GPS OSD to find my way back and the whole endeavor was going to be way more hassle than I wanted. Having more fun flying quads on 5.8

GPS and OSD certainly helps, but if you have some decent landmarks where you're flying, it doesn't take long before you know where you are. To be fair though, I was totally lost when I first got 100` in the air. Everything looks really different.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

BabelFish posted:

Doinker flying, if a little unstable. MAN this thing's loud compared to a woop.

Spent a couple hours trying to figure out why I couldn't get the receiver to work before realizing I was using the cleanflight configurator instead of the betaflight configurator (you can do just about everything in cleanflight without any issues, but going into the receiver tab sits at "waiting for signal" forever), un-soldered the receiver thinking I'd damaged the wires somehow even. At least now I've got telemetry, didn't add that wire the first time around.

I just bought a new flight controller because I thought mine was effed up. ..... So I need to go download betaflight.

Now I have an excuse to build an Owl.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nerobro posted:

I just bought a new flight controller because I thought mine was effed up. ..... So I need to go download betaflight.

Now I have an excuse to build an Owl.

Hah, I ended up with two flight controllers too (bought one when I thought I was buying parts individually, then found a kit that was cheaper than the parts by more than the cost of the controller,) the mini owl does look interesting.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Flying in the wilderness without a gps OSD at any sort of range would be pretty risky. Through a low res fpv link once you are up in the air the hillsides all look very similar and its easy to lose track of exactly where you are standing. Especially if its new location you haven't flown before.

In terms of model recovery I've been using a Marco Polo on my stuff when I'm flying any sort of range. I've used it a couple of times in anger and its taken me straight too it every time. It uses 900mhz for a beacon signal and has a range of around 3km. Its not cheap though at $300 but it does work well. Its onboard battery will last around 3 weeks in standby until it gets the wake up signal from the locator so you have some time to work with if you crash it somewhere really dumb.

I also have a dvr to record the last known gps off my video link to get me in the ballpark.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Openlrs receivers have a beacon mode as well. And you can always stick a tile in there if it's fixed wing

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

BabelFish posted:

Hah, I ended up with two flight controllers too (bought one when I thought I was buying parts individually, then found a kit that was cheaper than the parts by more than the cost of the controller,) the mini owl does look interesting.

Hey look, my flight controller is JUST FINE.

well that was $45 I didn't need to spend...

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Openlrs receivers have a beacon mode as well. And you can always stick a tile in there if it's fixed wing

The problem I have with those is that unless you have some sort of backup battery for your RX your beacon is worthless in a battery ejecting crash. I have openlrs in all my stuff and there are plenty of crashes I've had where there is no power coming from the main pack after the crash.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This looks interesting, though:
http://tbeacon.org/

Requires a UHF radio, but that can be had for cheap.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mashed_penguin posted:

The problem I have with those is that unless you have some sort of backup battery for your RX your beacon is worthless in a battery ejecting crash. I have openlrs in all my stuff and there are plenty of crashes I've had where there is no power coming from the main pack after the crash.

they got openlrs receivers that support that actually

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So, my Doinker got it's first couple minutes of flight last night.

I flew it on a 2s 65c 450 pack, a 2s 35c 500, and a 3s 35c 450. It seemed happiest with the 3s pack. It would hover at less than half throttle.

The not so happy bit, is the motors are ~quite~ warm after flying. They're not "ow" hot, but they're close to it. Given I'm running what everyone else runs, I'm expecting it's all ok.

The Red JST plugs are not adequate for flying this thing. They get warm to the touch in just a few seconds of flight. I'm going to convert over to XT30, as my usual Deans connector seems both heavy, and overkill for the situation.

"So Nero, how does it fly?" The thing is rock solid. Defualt PID's and the thing would just sit in the middle of my comptuer room with very little intervention from me. I was able to easily hover it in a 3" cube.

I can't wait to get it outside and see what it will really do.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I'd like to read a biography on timecop, from GNAA to disrupting the RC hobby!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
there was a long thing on him in this thread a while back.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nerobro posted:

So, my Doinker got it's first couple minutes of flight last night.

I flew it on a 2s 65c 450 pack, a 2s 35c 500, and a 3s 35c 450. It seemed happiest with the 3s pack. It would hover at less than half throttle.

The not so happy bit, is the motors are ~quite~ warm after flying. They're not "ow" hot, but they're close to it. Given I'm running what everyone else runs, I'm expecting it's all ok.

The Red JST plugs are not adequate for flying this thing. They get warm to the touch in just a few seconds of flight. I'm going to convert over to XT30, as my usual Deans connector seems both heavy, and overkill for the situation.

"So Nero, how does it fly?" The thing is rock solid. Defualt PID's and the thing would just sit in the middle of my comptuer room with very little intervention from me. I was able to easily hover it in a 3" cube.

I can't wait to get it outside and see what it will really do.

Mine's drifting quite a bit, but I think I need to cut the blades down by another millimeter or two. The instructions call for 1.9 inch props, but that's very nearly scraping the sides of the ducts.

Got my Tiny Whoop Bee Brain today. Was easy to put in and very stable. Throws are WAY higher though, I think I'm going to need some expo. Only complaint I have is that since they stuck the USB port on the bottom it makes it VERY difficult to calibrate the level point, since you need it both on a flat surface and plugged in via USB.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
After installing (or starting to install) my piggy OSD in my Krieger the 5V regulator on my Lux decided to stop working and feed 14.8V into my receiver, frying it. Why would you do this to me Lux.

Also my taranis is not in yet so it fried a 70 dollar Futaba receiver. Yay

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Someone from here mentioned my porting attempt of the WIP Taulabs LQG controller to dRonin over on reddit (in that fun Raceflight thread). I guess here's an update: It works but it produces overshoots I simply can't get rid of. Currently there's zero advantage over the old PID control, especially since the LQG requires to run an autotune, too, to identify the parameters of the state estimator part of the LQG.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dumb question probably but I'm bored. Just how stable should your average racing quad really be while flying in horizon/leveling mode (assuming no wind and high up enough to not be bothered by prop wash)? I went out yesterday to muck about a couple minutes with autotune again, and while in leveling mode it chronically wanted to spin to the right and slip about in various directions (and of course it got worse when I switched to autotune and it commenced ta jigglin')

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Attitude mode uses a complementary filter on the gyros and the accelerometers. Gyros are stable but drift, accelerometers don't drift but are noisy as gently caress. The complementary filter tries to handle both to get to a solution, by assuming that the accelerometer points on average down. Since you're using dRonin, the upcoming release has the weight of the accel input to the filter reduced, because there's been a bunch of people having issues. The problem usually stems from a noisy frame, where vibrations upset the accelerometer, which in turn biases the solution of the complementary filter.

Go to the Attitude page, there into the Filter Settings tab and change Accelerometer Kp from 0.050 (old default) to 0.033 (upcoming new default). This causes the attitude filter to listen less to the accelerometer. Will probably help with your issue.

The attitude estimation algorithm is pretty much the same between all current firmwares. I suspect that the others weighted the accelerometer less to begin with, since people claimed that this happened noticeably less with *flight.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks, I'll fiddle tonight.

More general question: since I'm just learning even flying this stuff--let alone tweaking everything--would I be well served switching to some other firmware / ground control platform, or should I stick it out? I don't really know anything about the others or their competing philosophies. CC3D board, if that matters.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Up to you. Grass is greener and poo poo like that.

I prefer dRonin, because for one it deals with normalized values everywhere, using a formal control approach, instead of that MultiWii poo poo of wrangling raw gyro values into ESC commands by force that *flight inherited, and the dRonin guys rely on logs and math implementing stuff. The two most active devs are also actual control system engineers, and one even has a PhD in related stuff. Also, there's the autotune, which works well in most cases (but not all).

BorisB is getting wiser and starts to formalize the approach in Betaflight, by introducing more and more normalized math. He's even conceded that this fast loop times is bullshit, after doing open loop response tests manually (i.e. one of the things dRonin's autotune does), but still insists oversampling the gyros a lot is a good thing (which it is not, you cancel the ostensible advantage by running strong lowpass filters).

Cleanflight seems having gotten stale, from what I gleaned recently due to unrelated things.

Taulabs is dead.

OpenPilot is even deader.

Raceflight are retards.

I don't think there's anything else that runs on the standard STM32 MCUs used in most recent flight controllers. If you want to try something else, I'd suggest to go with Betaflight (--edit: They have CC3D builds).

--edit:

https://github.com/rs2k/raceflight/issues/225
https://github.com/rs2k/raceflight/issues/226

vvv

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 23, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Lol a dronin Dev is blowin the lid off of the gpl violations raceflight is committing and half the mini quad community just does not (or refuses to) understand the concept of open source software licensing

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Lol a dronin Dev is blowin the lid off of the gpl violations raceflight is committing and half the mini quad community just does not (or refuses to) understand the concept of open source software licensing

Yeah I don't see that going anywhere unless lawyers or some other threat to revenue is introduced. Color me surprised if half the software developers who use GitHub and commit a LICENSE.md community cared or understood the concept of open source software licensing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
"You are violating the GPL by not publishing your code, stop it or else" is a toothless threat because open-source developers have no money.

CEO of the company using GPL code in their commercial products, lighting a cigar with a hundred dollar bill: "what?"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They actually relented thanks to all the ruckus and promised to release the source over the next week. We'll see. These assholes still scrubbed the GitHub issue trying to change history. Thank god for email notifications.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Up to you. Grass is greener and poo poo like that.

I prefer dRonin, because for one it deals with normalized values everywhere, using a formal control approach, instead of that MultiWii poo poo of wrangling raw gyro values into ESC commands by force that *flight inherited, and the dRonin guys rely on logs and math implementing stuff. The two most active devs are also actual control system engineers, and one even has a PhD in related stuff. Also, there's the autotune, which works well in most cases (but not all).

BorisB is getting wiser and starts to formalize the approach in Betaflight, by introducing more and more normalized math. He's even conceded that this fast loop times is bullshit, after doing open loop response tests manually (i.e. one of the things dRonin's autotune does), but still insists oversampling the gyros a lot is a good thing (which it is not, you cancel the ostensible advantage by running strong lowpass filters).

Cleanflight seems having gotten stale, from what I gleaned recently due to unrelated things.

Taulabs is dead.

OpenPilot is even deader.

Raceflight are retards.

I don't think there's anything else that runs on the standard STM32 MCUs used in most recent flight controllers. If you want to try something else, I'd suggest to go with Betaflight (--edit: They have CC3D builds).
Do you have a strong opinion on APM?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've seen it fly. It works fine for slowboating. I've tried to get a miniquad working with it, results were mixed at best. The Mission Planner limits the range of the PIDs really hard, making it problematic to tune a twitchier quad. Then again, the components on it weren't exactly quality (wasn't my miniquad, not even sure why he chose the APM to begin with, it was even the really big one, not the mini-APM).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is there a user-friendly mission planning solution for dRonin?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

There's a fork of cleanflight which is more focused on this sort of thing called iNav i believe?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

No idea. I suppose it might be an idea to take a closer look at the LibrePilot fork of OpenPilot, if you liked the way of the OpenPilot offshoots.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Oh no a non-quad post!

Has anyone used s-bus to wire up a larger plane in this thread? Looking at the various options for Futaba receivers, and the 3-port S-bus things are interesting, but it seems like you end up spending as much or more (unless you go pureley with Futaba servos, which is even more expensive) once you buy all of the Hubs and stuff.

For the hubs, are those proprietary or can you make your own? Are there knockoffs somewhere that you can buy (I couldn't find them)?

Bought one of the new 79" Slicks that I mentioned a while back about wanting, and I have a 120cc Yak that I am slowly acquiring pieces for. The Yak is some older plane that I need to find a manual for (figure I will fly it for a couple of seasons and then move the internals into a more modern bird). I have no idea what brand it is or anything, but it's a nice looking plane.

Also posting this made me think of Wojcigitty's 3d Fokker he let me fly at Joe Nall. That thing was awesome and I just checked and it's available. Getting one of those things too!

Edit - Alternatively, if I can't figure out what the actual model is on the Yak, how would I go about figuring out a good COG? Everything else I can deal with (I don't really need a manual to put together an ARF at this point). I'm a computer engineer not a mechanical one unfortunately, so I have no idea of the math/modeling involved.

subx fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 23, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

If its anything like librepilot or openpilot, you should be able to set up waypoints in the gcs

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

subx posted:

Oh no a non-quad post!

Has anyone used s-bus to wire up a larger plane in this thread? Looking at the various options for Futaba receivers, and the 3-port S-bus things are interesting, but it seems like you end up spending as much or more (unless you go pureley with Futaba servos, which is even more expensive) once you buy all of the Hubs and stuff.

Don't bother with sbus for wiring up a larger plane. It sucks because the servos on a big plane pull a lot of current and if you run one wire to a hub then connect multiple servos to that hub, you bottleneck your current through that one sbus wire. Or, if you use sbus servos and wire them all to one sbus cable (no hub involved), it also doesn't supply enough current. Hobbico initially hawked sbus as a cool way to wire a big plane with a bunch of servos but really it's not good for that (unless those servos draw very little current).

Here's what you do:

Use a power safe receiver (if on spectrum) or a power expander if on Futaba. Run a cable from the power expander to each servo.

Or, what I do is run two receivers. Split the plane down the middle with one receiver controlling each half of the servos. Use the other ports in those receivers for battery. That way you have redundancy and can use three-four plugs from each battery to get plenty of current into it.

subx posted:

For the hubs, are those proprietary or can you make your own? Are there knockoffs somewhere that you can buy (I couldn't find them)?

I think frsky makes some.

subx posted:

Bought one of the new 79" Slicks that I mentioned a while back about wanting, and I have a 120cc Yak that I am slowly acquiring pieces for. The Yak is some older plane that I need to find a manual for (figure I will fly it for a couple of seasons and then move the internals into a more modern bird). I have no idea what brand it is or anything, but it's a nice looking plane.

Post a picture and I can probably tell you what it is.

subx posted:

Also posting this made me think of Wojcigitty's 3d Fokker he let me fly at Joe Nall. That thing was awesome and I just checked and it's available. Getting one of those things too!

Hell yeah, the Fokker is fun as hell.

subx posted:

Edit - Alternatively, if I can't figure out what the actual model is on the Yak, how would I go about figuring out a good COG? Everything else I can deal with (I don't really need a manual to put together an ARF at this point). I'm a computer engineer not a mechanical one unfortunately, so I have no idea of the math/modeling involved.

Aim for 30% of the MAC as a start. Google MAC calculator and you can find how to find that. Then do a few tests...trim the plane, then flip the plane inverted at a decent cruise and see what it do. If it climbs inverted its tail heavy. If it drops and needs a lot of down elevator its nose heavy. If it tracks straight with no down elevator its a little tail heavy. If it slowly sinks and needs a little down elevator then it's perfect.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Wojcigitty posted:

Or, what I do is run two receivers. Split the plane down the middle with one receiver controlling each half of the servos. Use the other ports in those receivers for battery. That way you have redundancy and can use three-four plugs from each battery to get plenty of current into it.

I'll probably go with that. How does using multiple plugs work? Just straight plugging in multiple connections with a Y-cable or whatever for better current? Also for the servos themselves, the receiver always sent out 4.7v right? You still need a BEC for high voltage servos?

Also I've never binded multiple receivers, I think you flew with the same radio I have, so I assume it's possible with a 14SG? (easy question to answer myself I guess when I get home, hard to look up now)

subx fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 23, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have the TBS Crossfire system on my remote and quad now. Seems like it killed at least one of those annoying Faraday trees of mine. The one I flew around today always killed my video feed completely, no matter what VTX+antenna combination or what build. Now with the CRSF, while there's still some degradation, I can finally see. I figure it's because it seems to be able to run comfortably at 10mW in the miniquad range, not overpowering the receiver in the goggles so much. The FrSky transmitter module does 100mW at a frequency range closer to 5.8GHz (Crossfire runs at 868MHz).

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I thought the vtol stuff in apm was kinda lame when I found out it was just hover and then switch to a pusher motor but this is cool as heck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySRD-WjjD9w

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Let's all read Mike Rowe's masterful pandering to every kind of Mike Rowe fan:

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe/photos/a.151342491542569.29994.116999698310182/1285580754785398/

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

pzy posted:

Let's all read Mike Rowe's masterful pandering to every kind of Mike Rowe fan:

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe/photos/a.151342491542569.29994.116999698310182/1285580754785398/

I admire his efforts to bring back some honor to unglorious work, but holy hell does he have some hosed up backwards views that I simply cannot respect.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Mike Rowe posted:

I pumped a shell into the chamber, enjoying the “crunch-crunch” sound that makes shotguns worth owning.

Gotta enjoy that sound while defending your land from evil drones.

That said it would be creepy as hell having a drone hovering like that over your house and I understand why someone would want to shoot it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
The singular pic he posted looks like an Inspire waaaaaay above his roofline. I have no doubt he heard it from inside since they're loud as gently caress, but give me a break with the whole "hovering at my window" thing.