Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Recommend me a router. I am looking for a full size, no trim or compact. Plunge base and fixed base would be great. Currently looking at a Milwaukee. Something else better I should look at for a close price? Budget is really under $300, but closer to $200 so I can get some good bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hitachi m12 at the $100 mark is really popular. Tons of people use it on their CNC routers, it seems to stand up well, and you can always use a 10% coupon at Lowes or Home Depot. If you're just getting into this and the router will be seeing light-to-medium use, that's a great value. And you'll have plenty of dosh left over for bits, which is where the real spending happens.

And if you decide you need an upgrade later, routers are one of those things you won't be sad about having a couple of. Throw it in a router table when you decide you want something better later on.

e: Full disclosure: I have like six routers and don't regret it

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 25, 2016

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Thanks for the advice guys! Floating tenons for the top and sliding dovetails for the shelves seem like the way to go to get the look and stability I want (I'm not really worried about adjusting the shelves.) I've got a decent amount of experience with making frames, boxes, cutting boards etc but furniture is largely new to me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I always used to think that it was kind of dumb to want more than one router, but every time I have to unmount my router from the table to do some plunge routing, my opinion shifts just a little more towards buying a second one...

I own this Bosch router and have been happy with it, though I admit I've hardly ever used anything else so I don't have much of a frame of reference.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anyone have tips for flattening 6' boards with a hand plane? I don't have a straightedge that long. Do you just work in overlapping sections? Buying a No 7 is on my short list, but in the meantime I just have a No 4.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
wormil, I'm assuming "yes" but you've tried Forrest blades on your TS, right?

Before I did, I always thought there was good reason to try different blades. Haven't ever looked at anything else since I got my first one.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

ColdPie posted:

Anyone have tips for flattening 6' boards with a hand plane? I don't have a straightedge that long. Do you just work in overlapping sections? Buying a No 7 is on my short list, but in the meantime I just have a No 4.

Winding sticks and a straightedge are your friends, but doing that with a no4 is a high skill operation.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Atticus_1354 posted:

Recommend me a router. I am looking for a full size, no trim or compact. Plunge base and fixed base would be great. Currently looking at a Milwaukee. Something else better I should look at for a close price? Budget is really under $300, but closer to $200 so I can get some good bits.

http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwauk...lwaukee-routers

I've got a router collecting problem, and that Milwaukee combination kit is by far the best one. I really wanted to love the Bosch 1617, but the plunge base sucks, so it lives in the router table now. I've got an old monster 15 amp Hitachi that gets used for slab flattening, a Ridgid that's destined for a pantorouter and a couple trim routers (Makita is the best of those). Still use the Milwaukee set more than any other.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
How bad of an idea would it be to build my own router table?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Hypnolobster posted:

http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwauk...lwaukee-routers

I've got a router collecting problem, and that Milwaukee combination kit is by far the best one. I really wanted to love the Bosch 1617, but the plunge base sucks, so it lives in the router table now. I've got an old monster 15 amp Hitachi that gets used for slab flattening, a Ridgid that's destined for a pantorouter and a couple trim routers (Makita is the best of those). Still use the Milwaukee set more than any other.

I think I will get the reconditioned one. I tend to trust Milwaukee stuff anyways.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cobalt60 posted:

wormil, I'm assuming "yes" but you've tried Forrest blades on your TS, right?

Before I did, I always thought there was good reason to try different blades. Haven't ever looked at anything else since I got my first one.

No, for the last 10-12 years I've used dedicated rip and 60T crosscut blades. Before that I used a Freud combo blade. I was hoping for a one blade solution. The Fusion kind of does it, but would like better quality rip cuts since I don't have a jointer. I could send it back and buy a WWII but I was hoping to avoid spending that much. One thing I will say for the Fusion is it's very quiet.

r00kit Cavalry
Sep 25, 2016

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

No, for the last 10-12 years I've used dedicated rip and 60T crosscut blades. Before that I used a Freud combo blade. I was hoping for a one blade solution. The Fusion kind of does it, but would like better quality rip cuts since I don't have a jointer. I could send it back and buy a WWII but I was hoping to avoid spending that much. One thing I will say for the Fusion is it's very quiet.

yakman applewhite y u cheat at tribe d00d?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791272

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn69LJ0239E&t=2193s

https://www.playmidair.com/

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Not a bad idea at all. I have a set of plans I'm sitting on, waiting for me to finish the current projects, then I will be building another one myself.

http://www.woodsmith.com/files/issues/195/quick-and-easy-router-table.pdf

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

It is a superior idea.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Think you have turned a big bowl?

How about one that needed a tractor instead of a lathe?

https://www.facebook.com/BeautifulWoodworking/videos/941443459318199/

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GEMorris posted:

Winding sticks and a straightedge are your friends, but doing that with a no4 is a high skill operation.

Thanks. Is a No 7 the right tool for the job?

Alternately I could change my plans. I'm building a table that's going to be used in our kitchen for a countertop. The top is 70"x25". I had planned to just join the four aprons to the legs, but if dimensioning them is hard, I could divide the long aprons in half and join them together with a crossbeam across the lengthwise center, or something.

E: Further research makes me think cutting the aprons is a dumb idea.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 25, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Went to a local street faire yesterday and got to see this guy's work in person. That's some amazing inlay skill. He was charging around $800 for the larger pieces, and there's no way that's a fair wage for the amount of time and effort that went into making one of them. He said he's been doing this for 30-odd years. I hope someday he decides to do a video series sharing his secrets.

Unfortunately he said this year would be his last going to faires because he can't travel any more. :sigh:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Went to a local street faire yesterday and got to see this guy's work in person. That's some amazing inlay skill. He was charging around $800 for the larger pieces, and there's no way that's a fair wage for the amount of time and effort that went into making one of them. He said he's been doing this for 30-odd years. I hope someday he decides to do a video series sharing his secrets.

Unfortunately he said this year would be his last going to faires because he can't travel any more. :sigh:

I used to look at work like that in FWW and sigh like you are now, knowing that something amazing like that exists. Iirc, those guys use scroll saws, razor knife, and a never-ending supply of OCD.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Think you have turned a big bowl?

How about one that needed a tractor instead of a lathe?

https://www.facebook.com/BeautifulWoodworking/videos/941443459318199/

Imagine getting a catch while turning that... You'd be launched halfway to the moon.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
After a few weeks packed with work, getting to saw out double tenons with a 26" disston feels just so

drat

good.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
weekend project's done, putting a knife holder and spice rack above the sink

Both are mounted with drywall screws covered by little plugs that actually look decent for low-effort scrollsaw cuts:

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'm digging that knife holder. Good job.

The only thing I got done this weekend was a poorly made cane. I'd hurt my foot a couple of days ago do I grabbed a sycamore branch I'd pruned a while ago and knocked this together to make hobbling around easier.

And of course today I don't really need it but I'll try and make something nicer for the next time I hurt myself.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

wormil posted:

Oh duuuuude... get a WWII.

You seem to be committed to the hobby and tbh it's a night-and-day difference knowing your TS can and will always make cuts cleaner than anything in the shop. Got a friend you can borrow one from?

I'll reiterate that I asked because before I had mine (2 actually, now), I was always thinking of trying new & different blades. Since, I never even think twice about TS blades.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cobalt60 posted:

Oh duuuuude... get a WWII.

Thing is I've found no shortage of reviews from Fine Woodworking, Wood Whisperer, Sawmill Creek, Lumberjocks, etc. that say the Fusion is as good or better than the WWII. There was a discussion about this on Sawmill Creek and the gist being that neither the Fusion nor WWII is as good at ripping as a dedicated rip blade. The problem here may not be with the blade but just with my expectations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm an idiot that lives in an apartment but would like to get into woodworking. Don't really have the space for any but the smallest of work benches. Perhaps pull style tools would be easier to use without a 300lbs bench clamped to the active work piece. Loud power tools are out. What are some good small projects to get me going and develop good skills?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I'm an idiot that lives in an apartment but would like to get into woodworking. Don't really have the space for any but the smallest of work benches. Perhaps pull style tools would be easier to use without a 300lbs bench clamped to the active work piece. Loud power tools are out. What are some good small projects to get me going and develop good skills?

Boxes. Lots of styles and ways to build them and everyone likes them as gifts.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

My space is less than yours, I guarantee it. Bench = Black and decker workmate with the step + Scrap wood 30cm wide and 12 inches longer than the workmate. This gives you far more options for clamping because the metal frame gets in the way. You can do most things without power tools it just takes longer: hand drill, clamps, chisels, planes, files, sanding block, couple of good saws and a coping saw are your essentials. Do the hairdresser thing and keep sweeping the sawdust into a pile, that stuff's worse than sand.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Scroll sawing and intarsia don't take up much or or make much noise

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

First I'd search for a maker space or craft center in your local area, either independent or attached to a university. Even if you end up doing most of your work in your apartment having access to a shop can make a lot of things, especially rough prep work, a lot easier.

Second, I'd build a bench that looks good in your apartment. This could be a shallow Roubo (18" is sufficient), or that Roman bench Schwarz built recently, and have it serve as a coffee table when not in use.

Normally I recommend the knockdown Nicholson for new woodworkers but it just isn't that aesthetically attractive (neither is that sellers bench) so I'm hesitant to recommend it for apartment woodworking unless you know you have a place for it in a spare bedroom and not out in the main living area.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
There is a maker space that I know of, may be convenient if I want to use a jointer, planer, and such. Not at all convenient during the week. That Roman bench looks cool, maybe when I can source reasonable wood. Shavings in the living room wouldn't be much of a problem given the amount my dog sheds.

Think I'll go with the B&D for now, a whatsit saw, and a dovetail chisel. And figure out sharpening, too. Practice some joint work first, I guess.

Will try to scour the thread a bit more for already recommended resources, but would welcome a helping hand to lead me to folly.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Do you want to buy in cheap or buy in once?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Schwarz said it was about an 8-hour build. It would probably take me a month to find reasonably priced and sufficiently dimensioned wood. It probably would be over priced at the maker space, but if I hung out for a few weekends (difficult) I might be able to find a contact who could help me find a cheaper alternative. I've got a couple hours a week available, so I'd rather have something more immediate to get my hands moving and brain off of my inane office job.

I'm probably too much of a stupid idiot to figure out that which comes easy to you.

E: what do you expect that bench to cost, by-the-by?

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 26, 2016

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Schwarz said it was about an 8-hour build. It would probably take me a month to find reasonably priced and sufficiently dimensioned wood. It probably would be over priced at the maker space, but if I hung out for a few weekends (difficult) I might be able to find a contact who could help me find a cheaper alternative. I've got a couple hours a week available, so I'd rather have something more immediate to get my hands moving and brain off of my inane office job.

I'm probably too much of a stupid idiot to figure out that which comes easy to you.

E: what do you expect that bench to cost, by-the-by?

Call sawmills, preferably smaller operations, mobile bandsaw mills, etc. Tell them what you are looking for and don't expect them to have it in stock, leave your number around and let them get back to you when they get something like what you are looking for, if you don't hear back after a few months call again.

Slabs aren't something you just come across, you have to go looking for the people who can make them. Or make your own by laminating southern yellow pine (which is a bunch of work without a shop).

Getting into woodworking, especially hand tool woodworking, takes a bit of time and money, no getting around it.

I'd expect that slab to cost anywhere from $200-$500 depending on region of the country.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Also want to point out that Schwarz hasn't written a lot about working on the Roman bench yet, so I'm not sure how great it is. I just know it's an option for those that simply don't have room for a normal height bench in their home. I'd still prefer building a Roubo, but that's a poo poo ton more work.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

You don't need a woodworking bench to do wood working. My buddy has been doing it on his kitchen table and using a local maker space for big/rough cuts.

You can start with a basic but sturdy frame with dimensional lumber and double plywood top. If you need dog holes, get the Veritas work surface. Clamp that fucker down and go to town. Just keep a shop vac handy for dust cleanup.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
You can do a lot of things without the basic tools for doing them easily or well. You can even do enough work this way that you will eventually produce reasonable work.

Is it worth the effort or frustration?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You learn to adapt to the space you have to work with. The tiny corner of my kitchen has doubled up as a place to do metal work, leather work and any number of other things over the last 10 years. Other problem with having limited space is that you also have no storage space for your project gear and anything that comes with it's own table is well out. I'm not saying it's not a royal pain in the arse at times, but in answer to your question, yes, it is worth the effort.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If there are no other options, then sure, but we don't know that about this person's situation. Running a bench along a wall in a spare bedroom or living space isn't horrendously intrusive if it is aesthetically appealing, and it can often serve multiple purposes.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

GEMorris posted:

You can do a lot of things without the basic tools for doing them easily or well. You can even do enough work this way that you will eventually produce reasonable work.

Is it worth the effort or frustration?

Not everybody has the space, time, or budget for big build projects like a work bench. All you need to get started on wood working is a set of chisels, a mallet, a saw, and a sturdy table. A thrift store table, IKEA table top and legs, or harbor freight bench works.

Every hobby comes with effort and frustration when learning.

vvv I think about the cost of ramping up. vvv

I would want to avoid steering someone into making some big expenses when they may find that they just don't have the patience, knack, or interest after trying their hand at it. I put far too much money into guitar only to find that I didn't find fulfillment from it, only frustration and apathy. I've now sold off almost everything I own (some at a loss, some at a profit) and I'm keeping that in mind any time I get into a new hobby or recommend ones to others.

To each their own, of course.

Spazz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Some of those frustrations are self inflicted. Shouldn't we try to avoid those?

Btw laminating multiple Ikea countertops is a decent method of making a good bench. But as this is in someone's apartment I'm trying to steer him to options that don't look like rear end, but maybe I'm assuming too much that he/she cares about appearances?