Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm presuming he has a big house with a large yard which would put it over his property. As to how close it was :shrug: It was close enough for him to hear it from indoors.

Some friends of mine live in downtown Vancouver and have had a Phantom trying to peek through their high rise windows twice so far. Sadly there are creepy fuckers out there that abuse this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Slingshotting potatoes at the propellers. Not sure how anyone could be sued for that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A weighted net with a line on one corner (for retrieval) works great too.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Got a Hubsan Q4 today for what I thought would be low-key flights in areas where the Syma X5 was too large. Holy poo poo this thing is a tiny demon. Yaw rates are absurd for a nano, but it's going to take a few more days to get enough control on lateral movement for some exciting banked dime-turns. It gets away from me quick.

One thing I noticed and I'm not sure if there's a fix for this or if it's just a downside to a ridiculous yaw rate, but half throttle and above (getting elevation) causes clockwise yaw of about 30* for the first two feet, then it fixes itself. It's like the flight controller can't keep up to compensate for the motor power.

I'm glad it's durable. Rotors are showing a little wear but the little guy is just fine after a dozen crashes today. I thought I was a better pilot but gently caress me if this Q4 can't outrun the Syma.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Progress on v2 of my goggles built around a FuriousFPV diversity receiver and Eachine ProDVR:

Got picture.

And DVR working.

Now I need to get one of those little TBS patch antennas, I'm going to test it out with a TBS Triumph and a rubber ducky tomorrow. Printing the face mask now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Apparently all the local RC flying places (discounting finding an open area in a park anyway) require you to be registered with the Academy of Model Aeronautics. Is that a pretty normal thing in America? I already did the FAA registration bit (need to go get a labeler to put the number on m y quad though)

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
Yes, and most clubs require the full membership. If you want to eventually take part in races, you will need it.

If you want to get fully legal, a HAM technician license is also required to use the FPV video transmitter. It's very easy to get though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks. Still waiting on my replacement FPV transmitter and camera (just leaving the dead one on the drone--I should probably take it out so it's not drawing power but :effort:) but I'll keep that in mind for when the parts arrive.

Wonder what percentage of pilots don't bother at all with the FAA or HAM requirements. Goodness knows without this thread I wouldn't have even known about the FAA requirement, no one I've talked to IRL has ever mentioned it.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think they have some sort of enforcement for ham at the national events (multigp or drone nationals) (I think some of the tbs stuff has special channels and a pit mode you can unlock by a button combo or putting you ham license in their OSD) but I've never seen a reg number on a quad at any of those things (and certainly didn't see any at flitefest). The only thing I have it on is my Inspire.

I'd suggest getting the 3 month ama membership so you can find out whether they are good fields near you, or the lovely ones with greybeards that just want to fly balsa warplanes at scale in circles all day (and hate DROOOOOOONES)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 24, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

Progress on v2 of my goggles built around a FuriousFPV diversity receiver and Eachine ProDVR:

Got picture.

And DVR working.

Now I need to get one of those little TBS patch antennas, I'm going to test it out with a TBS Triumph and a rubber ducky tomorrow. Printing the face mask now.

do you have a full build log?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'll be honest, I actually want to get a labeler so I can put my phone number on my drone for flyaway lost and found purposes :v: Being fully legal and putting my FAA number on it is just a bonus.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I guess that'll help the roofers identify whose it is next time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

insta posted:

I guess that'll help the roofers identify whose it is next time

it's a perfect plan, really

Just got back from one of two RC parks I've found. Probably a dozen people there, split half and half between fixed wing and rotary folks. Tuned my quad (or tried to), fumbled about learning how to hover, watched others do sick spins and poo poo, got some laughs telling The Tale Of The Terracotta Triangle, gay olde time was had by all.

Need more batteries, though.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I'd suggest getting the 3 month ama membership so you can find out whether they are good fields near you, or the lovely ones with greybeards that just want to fly balsa warplanes at scale in circles all day (and hate DROOOOOOONES)
Just so you don't think it's because they all hate quads, a lot of this has to do with not wanting to lose flying sites. There is so much fear mongering around that any time FPV is mentioned and the whole FAA stuff starts getting brought up, it's often just easier to say "no drones/fpv" so those guys can keep their field.

It is a lot harder to find a suitable place to fly a 1/4 scale airplane than it is a tiny FPV racer.

Also, some flying sites are in state/city parks, and the local government may have ordinances against quad flying as well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

One thing I kept having trouble with yesterday was yaw. No matter how many times I tuned it or checked/replaced the props it would have a definite tendency to yaw to the left, without a lot of right subtrim on my RC. Still not sure what could have been causing that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you need to trim it once and it'll stick, it's a calibration issue. If you're still using dRonin, you might want to go to the Input page on the first tab and check whether the neutral received from the remote is the same as the neutral set. Also you might want to set deadband to 0.2 or 0.5. It's percent of the PWM range (delta min max).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Won't get a chance to try that, unfortunately. Looks like at some point near the end yesterday one of my crashes tore off a capacitor (?), pictured below with its former position circled (guessing, but the other three motors have caps at those spots). Not sure if the quad's still working with it off...

Guessing I can repair it by soldering it back on, but at this point I might as well wait until I get the replacement VTx, camera and antenna.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 25, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If I had to guess, given it's 25V 470uF, this looks like a buffering cap for the ESC on that arm. Should be able to fly without it just fine. Sadly to get it to stick again, you'd need to reflow it (i.e. put it in the oven and eventually even use some soldering paste).

On my old frame, I had a cap for each ESC, but given the bad soldering job, they kept detaching a leg here and there due to vibrations and crashes. Never really noticed. That said, the Kiss 24A ESCs that I use have plenty of capacitance on their PCB.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I've got a Mini Skywalker from hobbyking. I want to add a Naze32 for flight stabilization and a handful of other things. I've ordered a cheap Naze rev6 (10DOF). I, so far, plan to run Betaflight.

Anything i should be aware of?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think theres a build of baseflight designed just for stabilization. http://fotoflygarn.blogspot.com/2015/01/baseflight-fixedwing.html ( I think the main benefit is better support for RTH - this might ONLY support rev 5 naze and its clones, but I'm not sure )
Theres also inavFlight https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/wiki

I went with a mini cc3d and librepilot. still waiting on my micro skyhunter to arrive however.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 26, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

insta posted:

I've got a Mini Skywalker from hobbyking. I want to add a Naze32 for flight stabilization and a handful of other things. I've ordered a cheap Naze rev6 (10DOF). I, so far, plan to run Betaflight.

Anything i should be aware of?

Not sure you can run fixed wing on Betaflight. iNav is probably your best hope.
The fixed wing baseflight is rather iffy. I never got it to behave nicely.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
DJI mavic lookin real good

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Well thanks to winds stronger than expected (there weren't any at ground level) I lost my dumb drone somewhere in a bramble jungle. No clear idea where. From this I have learned that drones should be equipped with very loud buzzers that would go off when they land and aren't recovered within, say, one minute or two; or perhaps more simply that I should attach a kite line to them. Something to be able to get an idea of where the fucker went when it's absolutely impossible to see it.

Oh well, I'm just glad I went for the cheapest model I could find.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

They loving styled on gopro yeah.

Also a S2 buzzer is literally the best money you'll every spend on any flying RC related anything ever.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Seriously, that thing looks amazing. :rip: GoPro Karma.

I want to know more about their FPV headset, because having a low latency HD setup with 27 minute flight times would be amazing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seems like Raceflight came through and released their sources. Of course, they're still being assholes about it by stripping all comments.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems like Raceflight came through and released their sources. Of course, they're still being assholes about it by stripping all comments.

Hahahahahahahahaha perfect.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They're doing really loving stupid stuff. One of the dRonin devs showed me that. For instance, their "ProSmooth" mode is pretty much a lovely 3 point average over the gyro. But implemented in a really loving stupid way. In the MPU driver, they average three points with a gain of 1.5 specifically for the ProSmooth mode, and in the flight code they remove the 1.5 gain again specifically for the ProSmooth mode. Like what in the gently caress. Of course, there's no comments, so there's no way to figure out the point of it. Those gains are literal values, no #defines or anything.

Also, their code doesn't reliably run at 32KHz, because they have several provisions in the code to deal with missing the loop time target.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I'm waiting for real world reviews but I'm probably going to get one of these for myself for Christmas. It looks amazing and perfect for a take everywhere pretty pictures drone.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

They're doing really loving stupid stuff. One of the dRonin devs showed me that. For instance, their "ProSmooth" mode is pretty much a lovely 3 point average over the gyro. But implemented in a really loving stupid way. In the MPU driver, they average three points with a gain of 1.5 specifically for the ProSmooth mode, and in the flight code they remove the 1.5 gain again specifically for the ProSmooth mode. Like what in the gently caress. Of course, there's no comments, so there's no way to figure out the point of it. Those gains are literal values, no #defines or anything.

Also, their code doesn't reliably run at 32KHz, because they have several provisions in the code to deal with missing the loop time target.

is there a thread for this that i can copy and shitpost elsewhere

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nah, this is just a well-formatted summary of some IRC babble. There was this Github issue, that was nice material for shitposting regarding the GPL stuff, but they removed everything yesterday.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Back with another vague academics related question: what are some decent off-the-shelf research platform quadcopters? By that I mean not terribly interested in mix and matching parts to get something. Looking for reliability, ease of use, and configurability of payload. Programmability, or otherwise being able to reproduce flight paths reliably for testing purposes is a must. Basically, don't need a camera gimbal or any videography related stuff. The first option that comes up is

http://www.dji.com/matrice100

Not entirely clear on the size of the payload yet, but that seems like a good first option. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking a gem before I pass on this recommendation.

edit: Considering the Matrice 600 as well if payload requirements demand it.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 29, 2016

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

A Yolo Wizard posted:

squidgee posted:

Seriously, that thing looks amazing. :rip: GoPro Karma.

I want to know more about their FPV headset, because having a low latency HD setup with 27 minute flight times would be amazing.

everyone's favorite "drone" pilot got his hands on DJI Mavic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPG1Xa5Uqwo

and the GoPro Karma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf16mp6Nbh8

Those shots of the Mavic hovering indoors and in the wind were pretty drat impressive.

(somehow I doubt either of those folding quads will hold up to the abuse of Mr. Killed 7 Phantoms Since March)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my goodness that Mavic thing looks cool. Want one, but "because it's cool" is a thin justification even for me :v:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Programmability, or otherwise being able to reproduce flight paths reliably for testing purposes is a must. Basically, don't need a camera gimbal or any videography related stuff. The first option that comes up is

http://www.dji.com/matrice100

A pixhawk/arducopter based multirotor is probably a better choice for that, except that there's no off-the-shelf solutions. However, in that price range, you can probably get a custom built made for you, depending on payload & flight time requirements.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

A pixhawk/arducopter based multirotor is probably a better choice for that, except that there's no off-the-shelf solutions. However, in that price range, you can probably get a custom built made for you, depending on payload & flight time requirements.

THe 3dr solo is also good and pixhawk based, and perfect depending on the payload (and cheap).

I'm considering getting a parrot disco if only because you can load arduplane on it, and theres enough room for a gopro sized payload

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 29, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Stanford University has a code-commonality tool to identify what its name implies. Someone ran it over Raceflight and Cleanflight. Apparently the firmware part of the Raceflight codedrop matches Cleanflight by over 60%. Some complete rewrite that is. :laffo:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Any guesses how long stuffed shipped out of China via banggood can take? My replacement VTx and antenna are still in "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" mode and I ordered two weeks ago :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Never used banggood in particular, but if it's anything like HobbyKing or AliExpress or DealExtreme, 2 weeks would be pretty fast and about a month is normal.

Also I don't think tracking software works right with packages from China because often it'll sit at an early stage like that then be at your doorstep one afternoon and all the intermediate steps have the same timestamp of earlier that day, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ciaphas posted:

Any guesses how long stuffed shipped out of China via banggood can take? My replacement VTx and antenna are still in "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" mode and I ordered two weeks ago :(

I've always had really good luck with Banggood, about 2 weeks from ordering to my door in canada. Banggood also has a USA site where you can order things from their US warehouse and it gets to me in a week or less, but they don't have everything. I've also discovered that Hobbyking will ship to Canada if you order from the USA WEST warehouse. So no waiting a month+ for whatever sled dog service they use to ship from Hong Kong.