Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blood ravens used to be decently sized before getting their poo poo repeatedly ground into their faces and them facing a full scale civil war. Though dawn of war 3 will tell how much they have recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Blood ravens used to be decently sized before getting their poo poo repeatedly ground into their faces and them facing a full scale civil war. Though dawn of war 3 will tell how much they have recovered.

I played the first 10 minutes of DoW2 and assumed by name they were a Raven Guard successor but the internet tells me it's suggested they're a Thousand Sons successor :aaa:

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
So I've decided to read the Horus Heresy. I'm two books in. Thoughts:
- This Loken guy's my kinda guy.
- Abbadon is a giant lovely baby.
- Erebus is a dick.
- The primarchs are so loving arrogant. Especially Magnus. gently caress that guy.
- For gene-engineered superhumans, Space Marines sure are a bunch of lovely little kids.
- Lol @ Eidolon.
- Sign me up for the Ignace Karakasy fan club.

Can't wait to read more. Galaxy in Flames should be in the mail on Saturday.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
There's some truly terrible books in the horus heresy series but I mean as a whole it's loving cool as hell. There's also a couple of the best 40k books ever written in the series, so it balances out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Good money says they've gained Eldar powers, they'll have however many people they need to do poo poo.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Sex Cannon posted:

- Erebus is a dick.
- The primarchs are so loving arrogant. Especially Magnus. gently caress that guy.
- For gene-engineered superhumans, Space Marines sure are a bunch of lovely little kids.
- Lol @ Eidolon.
Same on everything but Magnus, who is a Cool Guy.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

The Sex Cannon posted:

- Erebus is a dick.
- Lol @ Eidolon.

Agreed on all accounts, except maybe the first one, Loken left me pretty indifferent.

mango sentinel posted:

He's cool once his character gets more developed, nevertheless his huge arrogance and self-conceit plays a huge part in his personal history during the Heresy.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

The Sex Cannon posted:

- Lol @ Eidolon.

Eidolon would be the reason I'd want to do Emperor's Children. I'd love to have an army led by Captain Worthless. Unfortunately they actually gave him really strong stats; I'd have gone with S3 LD6 or something.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Eidolon would be the reason I'd want to do Emperor's Children. I'd love to have an army led by Captain Worthless. Unfortunately they actually gave him really strong stats; I'd have gone with S3 LD6 or something.

He is kinda sorta redeemed in Praetorian of Dorn, though.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Angry Lobster posted:

Agreed on all accounts, except maybe the first one, Loken left me pretty indifferent.

He's cool once his character gets more developed, nevertheless his huge arrogance and self-conceit plays a huge part in his personal history during the Heresy.

Loken is super bland, but I'm pretty forgiving of the generic, kind hero archetype so long as they're not too Lawful Stupid. Loken has enough spice to him and a handful of solid foils to keep him interesting.

Magnus is definitely arrogant, I wasn't trying to contradict that, just that I like him anyway.

Also, Eidolon is a lazy gloryhound but I was never under the impression he wasn't a capable warrior when actually deigned to put in effort.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

mango sentinel posted:

Loken is super bland, but I'm pretty forgiving of the generic, kind hero archetype so long as they're not too Lawful Stupid. Loken has enough spice to him and a handful of solid foils to keep him interesting.

Magnus is definitely arrogant, I wasn't trying to contradict that, just that I like him anyway.

Also, Eidolon is a lazy gloryhound but I was never under the impression he wasn't a capable warrior when actually deigned to put in effort.

I get what you mean, Loken is not a bad character for the opening trilogy, but I never bothered with all his audiobook-only stories after Istvaan, so I admit my knowledge of him is rather limited.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mango sentinel posted:

I played the first 10 minutes of DoW2 and assumed by name they were a Raven Guard successor but the internet tells me it's suggested they're a Thousand Sons successor :aaa:

Internet suggestions nothing, the Horus Heresy books all but directly say it. There are other Chapters hinted as possibly being successors to traitor legions, though, and the Grey Knights were originally comprised entirely of loyalist members of traitor legions and might still be - note that their colors are almost identical to the Death Guard, who also provided the bulk of the first Grey Knights.

quote:

There's some truly terrible books in the horus heresy series but I mean as a whole it's loving cool as hell. There's also a couple of the best 40k books ever written in the series, so it balances out.

The First Heretic/Know No Fear/Betrayer are required reading if you're into the Heresy.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I just finished reading Vengeful Spirit and A Thousand Sons. I thought both were Not Bad.

The only other ones in the HH series I've read so far are Flight of the Eisenstein, the Sevatar novella, and the two Death Guard short stories. All were also above average for Nerd Fiction, IMO.

I just want more traitor Death Guard and Sevatar stuff now.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Arcsquad12 posted:

When is kyaeler going to write some more fanfic?

I really need to. I haven't written in months, I've been focused on other things, and I need to get back into it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

You have to read the first three of HH, since they are the most important in terms of the Heresy. They're not awful, but they get worse as they go along.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Yep, now it's time for the good stuff, go and read The First Heretic/Aurelian/Know no Fear/Betrayer.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You have to read the first three of HH, since they are the most important in terms of the Heresy. They're not awful, but they get worse as they go along.
I thought False Gods was overall worse than Galaxy in Flames, which really picks up in its second half.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Angry Lobster posted:

Yep, now it's time for the good stuff, go and read The First Heretic/Aurelian/Know no Fear/Betrayer.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Angry Lobster posted:

yeah. pretty much anything with alot of lorgar is great.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I loved the first couple HH books but gave up halfway through Flight of the Eisenhorn. Still not sure if it's the writer quality decreasing or I just got burned out reading them straight through.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Orv posted:

Good money says they've gained Eldar powers, they'll have however many people they need to do poo poo.

Nah, they leveled up and unlocked the Rubric geneseed. All the ones with the same VA are actually clouds of dust, and the rest of the Chapter has taken up ventriloquism in a desperate attempt to fool the Inquisition.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

Nah, they leveled up and unlocked the Rubric geneseed. All the ones with the same VA are actually clouds of dust, and the rest of the Chapter has taken up ventriloquism in a desperate attempt to fool the Inquisition.

I always assumed they either stole other marines and painted them red, took advantage of the universe's tendency to make a new Steve Blum voiced space marine every time you turn around, or both.

Probably both, to be honest.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I always assumed they either stole other marines and painted them red.

*Regains consciousness as Drop Pod plummets towards the target*

Wait. Didn't my armour used to be blue?.....Ultra-somethings?......it's on the tip of my tongue. Oh well it's probably not important.

'For Guilli...... I mean Knowledge is power'.

Edit: Now i'm imagining those little history blurbs when you mouse over a Marine, just like the DOW 2 weapons had.

'Brother Fidelius used to be a Blood Angels Assault Marine until his company fell in with a Blood Ravens force and they decided on a ceremonial exchange of Marines. Blood Angels Archivists have no record of any such exchange.'

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 30, 2016

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

I dunno bruh. Dad said no on the whole sorcery thing and he went ahead and did it like he knew better. Maybe he'll be cool in future books?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I can only ever see the image of magnus barging through the door to the golden throne and shouting

:rolleye: DAAD, DAAAD, HORUS DID A BAD THING :derp:

and Emps being all

:argh: JESUS CHRIST SON DIDN'T ANYONE EVER TEACH YOU TO KNOCK :argh:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The third book is pretty much a flaming pile of garbage. Just skip it and go read the Lexicanum summary of Istavaan III.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

I can only ever see the image of magnus barging through the door to the golden throne and shouting

:rolleye: DAAD, DAAAD, HORUS DID A BAD THING :derp:

and Emps being all

:argh: JESUS CHRIST SON DIDN'T ANYONE EVER TEACH YOU TO KNOCK :argh:

This is precisely how I see it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Looked at Black Library this morning. So once again we have a new Horus Heresy book out today. Officially book 40.

And yes it's another anthology of existing stories and one new one.

That's it. I'm done with this bullshit. I've still got Praetorian of Dorn to read. After that I'm not buying another loving Heresy book until they are actually no poo poo everyones at loving Terra and Drop pods are hitting the surface.

Orv
May 4, 2011
See you in 2021.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I just finished Mechanicum. It was pretty good, although I feel like its characters largely didn't get much characterization. Dalia's crew can each be summed up in one word, and then titan legion guys don't have much going on beyond "noble and good" to define them. McNeill paints a cool picture of Mars though, and he does some of the cosmic horror stuff pretty well.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Orv posted:

See you in 2021.

That's generous given their pace.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Azubah posted:

That's generous given their pace.

Considering Praetorian of Dorn has Alpha Legion dudes on Terra, maybe not.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Looked at Black Library this morning. So once again we have a new Horus Heresy book out today. Officially book 40.

And yes it's another anthology of existing stories and one new one.

That's it. I'm done with this bullshit. I've still got Praetorian of Dorn to read. After that I'm not buying another loving Heresy book until they are actually no poo poo everyones at loving Terra and Drop pods are hitting the surface.

This.

I keep checking in to see if the story has progressed at all (or if the Pariah trilogy has moved on), but I've stopped reading the HH until this thread says "holy poo poo, things are moving again". I have 29 HH paperbacks sat on my shelf gathering dust (30 if I include the stupidly oversized copy of Angel Exterminatus thanks to crappy ordering). I'm that guy that woud have brought them all, but I lost track of what was a lovely short story, what was a novelisation of an audio book, what was available where and what was just filler. I still have no idea what the hell happened to Loken as I refuse to do audio books.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Dog_Meat posted:

This.

I keep checking in to see if the story has progressed at all (or if the Pariah trilogy has moved on), but I've stopped reading the HH until this thread says "holy poo poo, things are moving again". I have 29 HH paperbacks sat on my shelf gathering dust (30 if I include the stupidly oversized copy of Angel Exterminatus thanks to crappy ordering). I'm that guy that woud have brought them all, but I lost track of what was a lovely short story, what was a novelisation of an audio book, what was available where and what was just filler. I still have no idea what the hell happened to Loken as I refuse to do audio books.

This is exactly me

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Sadly, Know No Fear is much closer to what the depiction of Istvaan III should of been. Abnett has a much better grasp of describing military operations that really keeps you on the edge of your seat. It is really impressive coming from a guy that was never in. He gets the big picture describing the massive scale of planetwide mobilization.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Apparently my cat threw up on my copy of Angel Exterminatus today. I suspect he is wise beyond his years.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Uroboros posted:

Sadly, Know No Fear is much closer to what the depiction of Istvaan III should of been. Abnett has a much better grasp of describing military operations that really keeps you on the edge of your seat. It is really impressive coming from a guy that was never in. He gets the big picture describing the massive scale of planetwide mobilization.

A failure to grasp scale is the original sin of 40k fiction. Imperial guard regiments are often (It's gotten slightly better in some books in recent years) only a thousand strong or so, and a dozen of them being depicted as a massive invasion force to take a world. Hive cities with literally billions of chaos tainted inhabitants being purged by small forces of Marines.

Also miles long ships falling out of orbit are (again Abnett is the exception) local disasters not continent smashing apocalypses.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just finished Galaxy in Flames, debating with myself how much I really want more HH.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Abnett himself isn't free of this scale issue mind you. The sabbat worlds guidebook states that slaydo's crusade only has 2 million guardsmen in it. Even his largest battle during armor of contempt is ridiculously small.

If you were going to invade a planet the size of contemporary earth with simultaneous attacks across the globe, you are looking at hundreds of millions of guardsmen at the bare minimum, and you can forget about those numbers if it is a hive world.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Deptfordx posted:

A failure to grasp scale is the original sin of 40k fiction. Imperial guard regiments are often (It's gotten slightly better in some books in recent years) only a thousand strong or so, and a dozen of them being depicted as a massive invasion force to take a world. Hive cities with literally billions of chaos tainted inhabitants being purged by small forces of Marines.

Remember that Space Marines don't have to sleep and hive cities are densely populated. It's highly believable that hive cities can be purged by a small force of Marines, they'll just take a while.

E: It's still silly

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 4, 2016