Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

End Of Worlds posted:

what could possibly have drawn dare's eye towards tbb

ran out of other threads probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

End Of Worlds posted:

what could possibly have drawn dare's eye towards tbb

Maybe Dare's a big fan of LP Boon?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
As a diabetic Everytime I try to overcome my addiction I usually pee a lot, puke, and end up falling asleep.

Must not be heroic enough

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

As a diabetic Everytime I try to overcome my addiction I usually pee a lot, puke, and end up falling asleep.

I welcome my poor blood sugar control as bringing ,e a step closer to the sweet sleep of death

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Thanks for getting the thread back on course.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Is anything by Anthony Burgess worth reading? I've already read A Clockwork Orange and don't feel like revisiting it, though it's fine.

Edit: The New York Times By the Book interview with Alan Moore finds the author obsessed with David Foster Wallace (Last great book he read? Infinite Jest), using "humblebrag" unironically in reference to his book collection, reading books on internet culture, and name-dropping a few books that inspired Jerusalem, for anyone interested.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 26, 2016

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

Is anything by Anthony Burgess worth reading? I've already read A Clockwork Orange and don't feel like revisiting it, though it's fine.

Edit: The New York Times By the Book interview with Alan Moore finds the author obsessed with David Foster Wallace (Last great book he read? Infinite Jest), using "humblebrag" unironically in reference to his book collection, reading books on internet culture, and name-dropping a few books that inspired Jerusalem, for anyone interested.

Weirdly I picked up Any Old Iron recently which is a reimagining of the Excalibur myth set in the 20th century, it's meant to be good (despite the premise, depending on your taste for medievalism) but I haven't read it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I really enjoyed my last month of probation watching cretins totally write off Ian McEwan's Atonement, Ian McEwan in general, and David Foster Wallace with like one sentence apiece. Great thread keep it up

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

at the date posted:

I really enjoyed my last month of probation watching cretins totally write off Ian McEwan's Atonement, Ian McEwan in general, and David Foster Wallace with like one sentence apiece. Great thread keep it up

I heard he's a plagiarist.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

at the date posted:

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/775054055047659521

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Thank you for illustrating my point so eloquently.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Franchescanado posted:

At least he knows how great Gormenghast is. Hopefully he managed to enjoy Titus Alone more than I did.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

at the date posted:

Ian McEwan in general

I for one would prefer to dodge the teeming cream of his banality

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I would really recommend the Anthony Burgess biography by Rodger Lewis which was written entirely out of spite for Burgess because he wrote a letter saying "yeah sure, happy to help w/ a biography" and then cancelled.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Solitair posted:

At least he knows how great Gormenghast is. Hopefully he managed to enjoy Titus Alone more than I did.
Titus Alone is an extremely, uh, interesting read. It's not a good book but it's 100% worth reading if you're interested in seeing an incredibly gifted mind deteriorate into madness before your eyes, e.g. people who read my posts

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I've heard some good things about Burgess's less known stuff, Earthly Powers is supposed to be his big masterpiece. He also wrote a lot of criticism of Joyce and other people if you're into that.

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear

The Belgian posted:

Chapel road is still very good. If you're gonna read one book in Flemish lit it should be this IMO.

im gonna read it too op. last time i tried to read an LP Bean book it was some pedo erotica written in extremely beautiful prose, midderzomernachtdroom or something it was called

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Titus Alone is an extremely, uh, interesting read. It's not a good book but it's 100% worth reading if you're interested in seeing an incredibly gifted mind deteriorate into madness before your eyes, e.g. people who read my posts

It strikes me as someone who started out wanting to branch out and try something different and ended up rushing it to completion as fast as possible before his brain kept him from writing anymore. Aside from his trademark prose, he took out almost everything I loved about the first two books and replaced it with almost nothing.

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
didn't burgess also do a 1984 knock off or did i dream that

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's called 1985 lmao

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

fantasy zone posted:

it's called 1985 lmao

hell, I prefer it

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

A human heart posted:

I've heard some good things about Burgess's less known stuff, Earthly Powers is supposed to be his big masterpiece. He also wrote a lot of criticism of Joyce and other people if you're into that.

Earthly Powers is pretty good though it's a massive tome. Sarcastic gay writer (think Somerset Maugham) is asked to write a biography of his brother-in-law (who becomes pope) by the church so they can canonize him. I really liked it, but it took forever to get through.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Tuiri posted:

I can say that I personally would be interested in it.

I think I'll put one together this weekend. it'll probably sink and die but the shakespeare thread is still hanging in there, so, hey

e: loving hell i posted in the 'post here and i'll change your name' thread in GBS and just saw that this is what i got

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 29, 2016

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

cocks out for lockout posted:

e: loving hell i posted in the 'post here and i'll change your name' thread in GBS and just saw that this is what i got

What did you think was going to happen?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Is anyone else reading the Man Booker shortlist? I read The Sellout and it's genuinely funny and thought provoking. I don't think I would've picked it up otherwise but I recommend it to anyone who enjoys Pynchon, Catch 22 or Ta Nehisi Coates.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Cloks posted:

Is anyone else reading the Man Booker shortlist? I read The Sellout and it's genuinely funny and thought provoking. I don't think I would've picked it up otherwise but I recommend it to anyone who enjoys Pynchon, Catch 22 or Ta Nehisi Coates.

Sounds good to me. I'll check it out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cloks posted:

I read Eileen when it was first long listed and it was pretty solid. I'm struggling for touchstones to compare it to since I know I've read similar stuff before, but broadly it is a dark story with a self-loathing narrator in a small town who works as a prison guard. The vast majority of it is a character study of the central character, the actual plot is fairly light. Not sure how I felt about the writing as it was obviously meant to be kind of uncomfortable which it succeeded at.

I thought I read something in here about Hot Milk, but not sure, I might check that out soonish.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mother likes her milk hot. mother likes hot milk. milk... hot milk... mother must have it

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Guy A. Person posted:

I read Eileen when it was first long listed and it was pretty solid. I'm struggling for touchstones to compare it to since I know I've read similar stuff before, but broadly it is a dark story with a self-loathing narrator in a small town who works as a prison guard. The vast majority of it is a character study of the central character, the actual plot is fairly light. Not sure how I felt about the writing as it was obviously meant to be kind of uncomfortable which it succeeded at.

I thought I read something in here about Hot Milk, but not sure, I might check that out soonish.

I posted about Hot Milk. Starting Eileen tonight.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I finished David Hume's Treatise on Human Nature and my god it was a slog at some points. I'm pretty terrified to start Kant's Critique of Pure Reason because if Hume is easy to read in comparison, what the gently caress man. But I need the rebuttal!

On second thought, I may just re-read Kierkeegaard because the prose is actually beautiful compared to Hume. Phew.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

dk2m posted:

I finished David Hume's Treatise on Human Nature and my god it was a slog at some points. I'm pretty terrified to start Kant's Critique of Pure Reason because if Hume is easy to read in comparison, what the gently caress man. But I need the rebuttal!

On second thought, I may just re-read Kierkeegaard because the prose is actually beautiful compared to Hume. Phew.

Why did you read the treatise instead of the enquiry? Nobody liked the treatise so Hume rewrote the main themes in a more coolerer way and published that as the enquiry. That's what everyone paid attention to.

Kant didn't read the treatise, he's responding to the enquiry.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

The Belgian posted:

Why did you read the treatise instead of the enquiry? Nobody liked the treatise so Hume rewrote the main themes in a more coolerer way and published that as the enquiry. That's what everyone paid attention to.

Kant didn't read the treatise, he's responding to the enquiry.

Probably should have read the Enquiry in hindsight, but I got this as a gift so gently caress it. I don't know how much more different the Enquiry is, but I found the rambling and dense style of the Treatise interesting in and of itself. It was like I was watching a genius think in real time.

Perhaps one day I'll go back and read the Enquiry, but for now I'm done with Hume.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I wanted to read something Very Different from what I normally Read so I tried some Classic Science Fiction and The Night Land is okay, has cool imagery and its neat to think it was written a Hundred Years ago but the style is kind of Aggravating you know?

I was going to read a voyage to arcturus but the cover looked nutty and when I peeked at a few pages it seemed like it was full of Klaxxors of Va'Narra and Glorbulons or whatever goofy poo poo.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Zesty Mordant posted:

I wanted to read something Very Different from what I normally Read so I tried some Classic Science Fiction and The Night Land is okay, has cool imagery and its neat to think it was written a Hundred Years ago but the style is kind of Aggravating you know?

I was going to read a voyage to arcturus but the cover looked nutty and when I peeked at a few pages it seemed like it was full of Klaxxors of Va'Narra and Glorbulons or whatever goofy poo poo.

As far as hundred year old science fiction stuff goes Olaf Stapledon's Star Maker is quite interesting and Borges loved it.

Katherine Burdekin's Proud Man is cool too, though maybe not as good, but it's remarkable that it even exists. Sort of, proto feminist utopian fiction about a hermaphroditic, vegetarian time traveler who comes back to the 30s and rips in to people for believing in gender and having wars and stuff.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Zesty Mordant posted:

I tapped the gently caress out of the original version of The Night Land at fifty percent, when the narrator slaps the woman he rescued to calm her down. I was barely hanging on at that point because of the writing style, and that was the last straw. It is a shame because the premise is so solid; maybe The House on the Borderlands will be better.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I realize I've probably done a terrible thing by even mentioning any of this and I'd like to apologize in advance. I'm still reading Madame Bovary and chuckling at Charles.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Solaris by Lem is full of humanity and is just really really good.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Ugh I just started reading Aquarium and I got to the part where the police confront the old man in the aquarium and it turns out to be Caitlin's grandfather and I am broken. This book is breaking me and I'm not even halfway through. But I can't stop reading!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

thehoodie posted:

Ugh I just started reading Aquarium and I got to the part where the police confront the old man in the aquarium and it turns out to be Caitlin's grandfather and I am broken. This book is breaking me and I'm not even halfway through. But I can't stop reading!

Oh buddy you are at like 10%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Cloks posted:

I've read His Bloody Project, which is a very well written 19th crime novel. It's told through medical records, memoir and court recordings. A great study in truth, justice, Natural Law and manhood. So far my pick to win.

Eileen was hard at first since not a lot happens, but the slow realisation that this woman is messed up is very well handled. The writing is fantastic, and the 'twist' at 85% of the way through actually made me drop my jaw. Just fyi she isn't a security guard, and it's juvie. A strong meditation on feminity, though mostly from opposition and relation to men.

The Sellout is probably the weakest read so far. The plot is terrible and there is no real hook, but slowly you come to see the characters perspective as to his position on slavery. It IS funny and there are some brilliant lines, but it can feel a bit heavy handed. A good satire of some of the ridiculous parts of the current hoo-ha and preciousness over black lives in America.

Have just started All That Man Is, essentially a collection of stories about men. More traditional writing than the others (they are all first person retellings, this is third) but the structure should prove interesting.