Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

milk milk lemonade posted:

3rd party or works for the hiring company?

Third party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Ehh they're mostly just terrible. I don't even talk to third party recruiters anymore

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I had a 3rd party recruiter email me at my work email address.

I replied that if he was dumb enough to email me at my work email he was too dumb for me to work with.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've never really had enough of a choice. Either I've been unemployed or needed to get out of a horrible work environment ASAP. This position would pay 30% more than I've ever made, and the health insurance couldn't possibly be worse than the last place ($600/mo for 10k deductible HDHP with no HSA matching).

I'm still on the mailing list for some of my last contracting company's stuff. They sent out information talking about benefits. They said how most employers' premiums are going up this year, and how theirs will too. It's really laughable considering I could already get better plans on the marketplace. I mean, don't get me wrong, I would take another position with them. It's just that all of their positions are far enough away that I'd be better off working at Wal-mart, and even if I did get a job with them I'd keep looking on the side because they're awful.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A recruiter asked yesterday to talk to me this morning. This morning, he postponed until this afternoon. This afternoon he postponed to tomorrow morning. Am I right in thinking he's got another candidate the client is waiting to decide on, so he's stringing me along in case that candidate doesn't work out?

If I'm an agency recruiter and I have a candidate who is a strong fit there is no way I'm postponing even once by accident. And if I did I'd meet you or talk to you after hours at your convenience.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that's what I thought. I really hope I'm wrong.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
:yotj:

After the oil market crashed and took the economy with it down the shitter, which led to me being made redundant, a recruiter managed to get me a 4 month job at a government marine research facility. The same recruiter now got me a job for the citys IT department doing Windows Server sysadmining, with a duration of at least a year!

Still waiting for final compensation details which I suspect won't be great, but for a recruiter to manage to dig up two actual sysadmin jobs and for me to land them both in the bad economy we're having now is a pretty big deal!

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just saw a job posting on Linkedin for a "First line support resource". Some companies are not even trying anymore :smithcloud:

Also I had a call with a recruiter today and she was 45 minutes late which made me irrationally angry.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Recruiters are trash. I've been through about 20-30 agencies, local and national, via e-mail, phones and meetings after I got laid off. Don't be afraid to cut contact with the ones that are a waste of your time, and do take good care of the ones that get you actual real poo poo, like the ones I mentioned above. One guy didn't even read my CV before we met, thought I was someone else and wanted to put me on a lovely ISP support job. I told him in nicer words to gently caress off. One very senior recruiter in the IT industry in my city has spent a lot of time talking with me, but have just spent that time pumping me for leads in the places I have been earlier instead of coming up with something tangible.

At the place I'm working with now I have just emailed them my CV, they have gotten me the interviews and I have gotten the job. There has been literally 0 unnecessary bullshit from their side, and they have been so good to me I almost feel bad whenever I have to ask something from them. They have delivered above and beyond what any other agency has done for me.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evobatman posted:

Recruiters are trash. I've been through about 20-30 agencies, local and national, via e-mail, phones and meetings after I got laid off. Don't be afraid to cut contact with the ones that are a waste of your time, and do take good care of the ones that get you actual real poo poo, like the ones I mentioned above. One guy didn't even read my CV before we met, thought I was someone else and wanted to put me on a lovely ISP support job. I told him in nicer words to gently caress off. One very senior recruiter in the IT industry in my city has spent a lot of time talking with me, but have just spent that time pumping me for leads in the places I have been earlier instead of coming up with something tangible.

At the place I'm working with now I have just emailed them my CV, they have gotten me the interviews and I have gotten the job. There has been literally 0 unnecessary bullshit from their side, and they have been so good to me I almost feel bad whenever I have to ask something from them. They have delivered above and beyond what any other agency has done for me.

This one is an internal recruiter, she reached out to me after I applied for a position but has been annoyingly passive so far. I get the impression internal recruiters don't realize that they are the face of the company they are representing and I am interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just got news that our biggest dependency on Java is going away. Time for celebration!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I recently was given some poo poo from my team about a candidate I really liked and no one else did, so I finally sat down to write/find some technical questions for interviews to help us better interview candidates. Frankly, I am kinda embarrassed I have not done this before, but it was a good exercise to find good questions that tell me a lot about how someone approaches a problem or knows about a subject in a way that is consistent across candidates.

My favorite questions that came out of this are:

1) Walk me through building an ESXi host from scratch. Not mentioning time for a senior engineer is an instant fail. Along the way I ask questions about the HCL, distributed switches, etc.
2) Give me a usage case for RAID5 in a datacenter environment. Perfect answer is "lol wut?". I am looking for an understanding of not only what different RAID levels do, but what the risks are associated with them.

The RAID5 question has been owning the candidates for a senior engineer (my title) this week. First guy was the 'storage guy' and he answered the question with what all of his different storage systems use and literally didn't know why RAID5 would be bad compared to RAID10 when pressed. Another guy is currently a storage engineer and was able to clearly differentiate the RAID levels, but when pressed, couldn't tell me why RAID5 would be bad in a VMware or file server application.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
You only realize RAID 5's limitations when it causes you issues. Maybe they're just really lucky (and don't have to worry about performance) :grin:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

There's been a bit of a debate at work lately. Are the people who pronounce IPsec as "ip sec" monsters, compared to the people who pronounce it "I P sec"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

rafikki posted:

There's been a bit of a debate at work lately. Are the people who pronounce IPsec as "ip sec" monsters, compared to the people who pronounce it "I P sec"

Correct.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Eye pee sec is the wrong way

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trash Trick posted:

Incorrect

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Praise Allah I managed to get my quote to increase our storage approved. Since I have no budget I've decided to try and feed my boss small bites of progress. There's two empty bays in the array so now they will be STUFFED with HOT and FAST HARD drives. :quagmire:

Trash Trick posted:

Eye pee freely.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

rafikki posted:

Everyone is a monster. I use I P sec personally

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I P triple sec, but I'm starting a twelve-step program.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 5, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Everyone is a monster. I use I P sec personally

This. ipsec is Internet Protocol security. Literally everyone pronounces IP the protocol as I P. Therefore, it's loving I P sec.

Now excuse me while I go watch some hilarious jiffs

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:lol:

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Eye Pee Sec or get out.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well played good sir. Please educate me on these twelve steps to oblivion.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Well played good sir. Please educate me on these twelve steps to oblivion.

Step 1-11: drink from the bottle of triple sec
Step 12: get another bottle

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

rafikki posted:

Ip Sec, like Ip Ecac, because talking about it makes you want to vomit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ratbert90 posted:

I had a 3rd party recruiter email me at my work email address.

I replied that if he was dumb enough to email me at my work email he was too dumb for me to work with.

I had a third party recruiter phone me at work, go through our receptionist and then try to talk to me about open positions. After explaining that I couldn't talk to him about leaving my job on my work phone while I was at work he seemed really confused and just carried on talking until I put the phone down.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My favorite new poo poo is talking about "Our North Star", pointing to "Our North Star", asking "What's our North Star on this project?" :flame:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

My favorite new poo poo is talking about "Our North Star", pointing to "Our North Star", asking "What's our North Star on this project?" :flame:

It's this real? It doesn't sound real. So it probably is

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mayodreams posted:

I recently was given some poo poo from my team about a candidate I really liked and no one else did, so I finally sat down to write/find some technical questions for interviews to help us better interview candidates. Frankly, I am kinda embarrassed I have not done this before, but it was a good exercise to find good questions that tell me a lot about how someone approaches a problem or knows about a subject in a way that is consistent across candidates.

My favorite questions that came out of this are:

1) Walk me through building an ESXi host from scratch. Not mentioning time for a senior engineer is an instant fail. Along the way I ask questions about the HCL, distributed switches, etc.
2) Give me a usage case for RAID5 in a datacenter environment. Perfect answer is "lol wut?". I am looking for an understanding of not only what different RAID levels do, but what the risks are associated with them.

The RAID5 question has been owning the candidates for a senior engineer (my title) this week. First guy was the 'storage guy' and he answered the question with what all of his different storage systems use and literally didn't know why RAID5 would be bad compared to RAID10 when pressed. Another guy is currently a storage engineer and was able to clearly differentiate the RAID levels, but when pressed, couldn't tell me why RAID5 would be bad in a VMware or file server application.

The Raid-5 question is not really a useful one for storage folks anyway because there are a lot of tricks that storage array makers use to make parity raid performance. NetApp and Nimble support triple parity raid and it performs fine because they have non-volatile journaling, write coalescing, and wide striping. It will out-perform a mirrored raid implementation in many circumstances. And vendors like Hitachi will have you create small Raid-6 groups and then stripe LDEVs across those.

It's perhaps useful to get a sense of whether or not the understand the mechanics of different raid types (though I'm not really sure that's true anymore, if you're buying enterprise storage you're rarely choosing raid levels anymore anyway) but Raid-5 may be perfectly appropriate for certain workloads depending on how the raid controller implements it, the drive sizes, and the criticality of the data.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

big money big clit posted:

The Raid-5 question is not really a useful one for storage folks anyway because there are a lot of tricks that storage array makers use to make parity raid performance. NetApp and Nimble support triple parity raid and it performs fine because they have non-volatile journaling, write coalescing, and wide striping. It will out-perform a mirrored raid implementation in many circumstances. And vendors like Hitachi will have you create small Raid-6 groups and then stripe LDEVs across those.

It's perhaps useful to get a sense of whether or not the understand the mechanics of different raid types (though I'm not really sure that's true anymore, if you're buying enterprise storage you're rarely choosing raid levels anymore anyway) but Raid-5 may be perfectly appropriate for certain workloads depending on how the raid controller implements it, the drive sizes, and the criticality of the data.

You are absolutely right. We are not looking for a storage engineer, but rather a solid systems engineer that is comfortable with VMware, storage, and WIndows/Linux. I'd expect a storage engineer to give me a proper usage case. The bad response is 'RAID5 so you don't waste capacity' if that also does not take into account backup and how critical the data is.

We use 3 Par systems and some of those volumes are "RAID5" but its not really the same. What I'm trying to avoid is small shop super stars who do everything in RAID5 because you get the most capacity and what could go wrong!?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

rafikki posted:

psure this cost me a job at one point. I interviewed twice and the second time we had a nice little sit down about what their challenges are and what they'd need from me.
About halfway through the interview one guy "translates" ipsec to i.p.sec for the other guy to understand. The other guy says "OHHHHH" really loud as if he just had a eureka moment.

I don't think they ever got their tunnel up and running.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Way back around 1990 I had an interview at a tech hiring place in L.A. and I remember being asked to explain what DLL and OLE meant. I barely knew because I only had DOS at home and that put the kibosh on my prospects.

They continued to send me promotional mailers for the next 10 years.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I dunno if paychat is appropriate for this thread, but if anyone here is in product management, how much were you making starting out? I'm hoping I can land somewhere in the ~$85k range but I'd be working with a startup and I don't know how they calculate compensation or anything like that. I'm getting a call about the offer tomorrow and I'm scared I'm gonna get lowballed because I'm more of a bright prospect than an ideal fit for the role right out of college. :ohdear:

I can take this to the negotiations thread if this is clutter but I thought I might be able to find some folks with specific insights here.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mayodreams posted:

2) Give me a usage case for RAID5 in a datacenter environment. Perfect answer is "lol wut?".

I hasn't read the rest of the sentence before walking to the bathroom and I was trying to figure out how I'd answer that question.

I came up with "You want to build a datastore for a sandbox environment and somebody already made a RAID 5 array from some old parts for fun so why not use it."

If I got asked this, my follow up question would be serious concerns about the storage situation at the company.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
poop

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 23, 2018

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I hasn't read the rest of the sentence before walking to the bathroom and I was trying to figure out how I'd answer that question.

I came up with "You want to build a datastore for a sandbox environment and somebody already made a RAID 5 array from some old parts for fun so why not use it."

If I got asked this, my follow up question would be serious concerns about the storage situation at the company.

Which is fair. I like open ended questions where it is more about the process than the right answer. I know that is hard as an interviewee, but there are a lot of bullshit artists out there who can regurgitate expanded acronyms but cannot reason their way out of a 'poo poo is broken, where do you start?' type of question.

I have witnessed RAID5 data loss (Exchange 2003 on SBS), despite my warnings, in my short time at an MSP, The last thing I want on my team is someone who thinks that approach is ok with critical data.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

mayodreams posted:

Another guy is currently a storage engineer and was able to clearly differentiate the RAID levels, but when pressed, couldn't tell me why RAID5 would be bad in a VMware or file server application.
You mean "when" and not "why" here, right?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mayodreams posted:

I have witnessed RAID5 data loss (Exchange 2003 on SBS), despite my warnings, in my short time at an MSP, The last thing I want on my team is someone who thinks that approach is ok with critical data.

Sounds like they needed better backups.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Vulture Culture posted:

You mean "when" and not "why" here, right?

Yeah I meant when. I had a lot going on today and I didn't read closely enough.

I'm pretty sure I've told this particular story here before, but tl;dr they had a disk fail in a RAID5 and the most recent backup was like 2+ weeks old. I pressed hard to get another backup before replacing the failed disk to start the rebuild, but my colleague ignored me and my boss, and did it anyway. The array failed on rebuild and the client lost like 2-3 weeks worth of email in a completely preventable situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Why would you need a second backup when there's already a backup disk as part of the RAID?