Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
FYI if anyone gets curious about turning plastics on their lathe HDPE turns like butter. No joke or exaggeration, it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Broke down and bought a belt sander because gently caress this sharpening nonsense.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
From way back, I'm starting to really understand this post.

wormil posted:

Here's what it looks like when I do woodturning.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Parts Kit posted:

From way back, I'm starting to really understand this post.

Did I post that? Must have been drunk because I don't remember it. True for sure.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That reminds me -- is sawdust / wood chips okay to put in the yard waste container? Assuming it's not contaminated or treated or plywood or anything, of course. Even if I had a working wood stove, I'd be a little leery of creating a fuel-air explosion, but it seems kind of silly to bulk out my landfill trash with a few bags of little bits of tree.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

wormil posted:

Did I post that? Must have been drunk because I don't remember it. True for sure.
Well it has been about 5 months. It just sort of popped in my mind when I was looking at my mess earlier.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That reminds me -- is sawdust / wood chips okay to put in the yard waste container? Assuming it's not contaminated or treated or plywood or anything, of course. Even if I had a working wood stove, I'd be a little leery of creating a fuel-air explosion, but it seems kind of silly to bulk out my landfill trash with a few bags of little bits of tree.

Turn it into fuel pellets. There are special stoves that use them.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I always burn it. Either I throw it in the fire pit and set the top on fire with a little mineral spirits (unless it's all planer/jointer shavings which light up just fine) or I sit around and giggle while throwing handfuls at the already lit fire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chfbRFJbuGQ

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm gonna take a guess that the poster is prohibited from burning.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I'm gonna take a guess that the poster is prohibited from burning.

Not prohibited, exactly, but as I noted I don't have a working wood-burning stove or fireplace right now. The last time I tried to use my stove my carbon monoxide alarm went off.

Outdoor fires are prohibited in California except for things like grills, if I recall correctly. Too much risk of the fire spreading and taking out half the state.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Can you start a compost pile? That's where mine go.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I just throw it in the trash with the rest myself. It all gets burned for district heating anyway.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I think it's ok if it's not treated. Some stuff like walnut is naturally toxic, ymmv etc hth lol pbuh.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
It's fine to put sawdust/shavings in the yard waste. That stuff almost certainly gets hauled to a municipal composting station where they grind up all the yard waste and use it to compost sewage sludge from the water treatment plants.

I use mine in the compost bin or to cover pathways in the garden.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Mr. Mambold posted:

I think it's ok if it's not treated. Some stuff like walnut is naturally toxic, ymmv etc hth lol pbuh.
On that note, what all woods can rust tools if their shavings/dust are left in contact with tools? I saw oak can and promptly cleaned off my lathe, but it looks like the walnut, padauk, Purple Heart, etc woods have left some on the ways as is since I've been lazy on cleaning.

Also noticed yesterday that the tung oil I left in a ketchup bottle has solidified, haha.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Finally got the jointer moved into the workshop from the garage :sun:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Parts Kit posted:

On that note, what all woods can rust tools if their shavings/dust are left in contact with tools?

Moisture plus oxygen cause rust. So any damp wood can rust tools.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
The concern with oak I saw online was more the higher tannic acid content helping things along. No idea if that's really a thing or not, or if it's mostly a concern with greener wood.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Never cheap out on tools, ever. I'm so sick of this lovely Irwin combination square.

I remember seeing some ongoing ebay listings for scratch-and-dent Starrett squares, does anyone happen to have a link to that? I did some searches and couldn't turn up anything.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Try ebay for Blem Cosmetic Second PEC. I got a PEC combo square and am happy with it..

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:\ picked up a late Victorian dressing table. Gorgeous oak, lovely walnut veneer on the draws and then lets just slap whatever the hell his is all over it so it looks like mahogany because we are Victorians and this is what we do. :(

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

His Divine Shadow posted:

Try ebay for Blem Cosmetic Second PEC. I got a PEC combo square and am happy with it..

That's what it was! I must have just assumed it was Starrett. Gonna buy the poo poo out of these.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

learnincurve posted:

:\ picked up a late Victorian dressing table. Gorgeous oak, lovely walnut veneer on the draws and then lets just slap whatever the hell his is all over it so it looks like mahogany because we are Victorians and this is what we do. :(

This post doesn't make sense. Why don't you post pics?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It came in bits ready for stripping so can't do the before picture properly, Victorians loved to paint then shellac which is a pain in the arse to remove, going to be a alcohol then chemical job,

sanded to see what's underneath, in the flesh you can see the oak coming though in patches.

I know it's shellac because that smaller stain is from neat gin.

edit: needed stripping no matter what, it's another restoration job.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 10, 2016

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

learnincurve posted:

It came in bits ready for stripping so can't do the before picture properly, Victorians loved to paint then shellac which is a pain in the arse to remove, going to be a alcohol then chemical job,

sanded to see what's underneath, in the flesh you can see the oak coming though in patches.

I know it's shellac because that smaller stain is from neat gin.

edit: needed stripping no matter what, it's another restoration job.

thats not oak m8

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The draw lining looks to be white oak, the colour you see is still unnatural with only one layer off. More accurate description would be "hardwood, possibly oak" . What do you think it is?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Something tight grained and not porous. I would guess somewhere along the lines of maple/cherry/birch/mahogany, but finished wood is hard to identify completely. Can you take a picture of the endgrain somewhere?

e: I'm assuming from you saying 'draw' that you're in the UK or Australia?

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 10, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That's all I can get to without chemicals, but I think you nailed it - age, location (UK), and the quality of work makes silver birch a very likely candidate.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sure as hell looks like a lot of walnut I've seen.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Out of curiosity, how does one identify wood when there isn't like a tree with leaves to examine? Any books / recommended resources?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tres Burritos posted:

Out of curiosity, how does one identify wood when there isn't like a tree with leaves to examine? Any books / recommended resources?

I GOT THIS ONE WORMIL.

Take a magnifying glass to the splinters in your hands

Go to a fine woods lumberyard. Around here it used to be Paxton's until they were bought out by Hogans, which then later went oob. If you feel like a kid in a candystore, you're doing something right.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Folks, what are the correct woods to use for a joiner's mallet?

I see a lot of commercial ones that use beech, but I read that fruit woods are the way to go because they are less prone to go all spongy after long use.

I reckon I'd like to find some well-seasoned quartersawn apple but that apparently is the hardest thing in the world to find here in Alberta.

Edit:

I finished the bench stool! It's mostly level and fairly sturdy after glue-up, and overall I'm pretty happy with it. I just finished it with three coats of boiled linseed oil because that's what I had. It's got kind of a nice honey colour, but it also highlights all of my incredibly sloppy workmanship.

All in all, I think it's not very good. However, I did learn a lot from it, and I developed a lot of comfort with my tools. Hopefully my next project will be better!

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 10, 2016

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

In amateur hour news, today was an important reminder of why practice is important. I had planned on doing through-mortises for the front face of my table, and normal stopped mortises for the long rails. Then someone here mentioned drawboring, so I decided to do that to strengthen the long rails. And while researching that, I ran across wedged through-mortises and decided to do that for the front faces. Since I've never done either of those before, I did some practice joints with scrap.

Drawbored joint turned out great and seems super strong. Also it only took one evening to put together. Made me super happy when this came together.

Wedged through mortise turned out like crap and took two evenings and most of Sunday, as the legs are about three inches thick. I had some bad breakout on the visible face, which totally ruins the effect. Also one of the wedges broke off while I was hammering it in. Also the end grain didn't clean up nearly as well as I hoped it would, probably at least in part due to the breakout. Oh well, I'm glad this was a test joint.

So that idea's in the trash until I get better at this, and I think I'll just drawbore all of the joints. Maybe I'll come up with something else for decoration. Or maybe I'll just call it "rustic".

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Tres Burritos posted:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I feel like we were being set up

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I honestly had no idea. Swear to god.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

I had a good laugh when I was reading that guy's other book "Understanding Wood" and came across that picture after seeing that meme.

Understanding Wood is really excellent though. I imagine Identifying wood would be very good as well.

The basics are like what he's doing in the picture though. End grain is usually the most informative. You take a razor blade or super sharp knife and cut across the end grain to get a fresh sample of the grain then use a magnifier like in the picture. Compare what you see against a resource of end grain pictures. Or maybe there's flow charts somewhere. Understanding Wood gives the basics of ID'ing but doesn't provide a ton of detail on what the actual different woods are. But basically you look at how far spaced apart the rings are and the size/frequency of the holes I think (if the wood is the type that has them).

Take a look at the end grain photo of this red oak on this page: http://www.wood-database.com/red-oak/

You can see the little holes, spacing and arrangement tell you it's red oak I guess. I haven't done that sort of examination enough myself to actually be able to do it.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 11, 2016

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Tres Burritos posted:

Here, there's an old, crazy, "Trump-is-too-far-left-for-ME" dude who owns a wood store between unsuccessful attempts to be elected to whatever office, who will look at it, then (maybe) sand a bit on it, sniff it, and then say what it is and be correct every time. I would bet there's someone similarly damaged near you who can perform this function.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Parts Kit posted:

The concern with oak I saw online was more the higher tannic acid content helping things along. No idea if that's really a thing or not, or if it's mostly a concern with greener wood.

I never heard that about oak but I heard something similar about cedar. But I learned that what we call cedar in the U.S. is actually juniper or arborvitae. So it seems sketchy but who knows, maybe you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

mds2 posted:

I feel like we were being set up

Not by me, I'm an idiot, and not that lucky.

These are oddly wonderful and I don't know why. http://www.markdoolittlestudio.com/sculptural-artwork.html