Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Elderbean posted:

What's the most cost effective OLED display? Is it really worth the pricetag?

This thread asks about 350 dollar 55" displays and 500 dollar 4k displays. So to most, no its not.

To me, absolutely 100%.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Does anyone have any recommendations for under-cabinet TV's? Something small, think under the cabinet in the kitchen. Seems like they've pretty much disappeared off the face of the earth.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Best buy has 10 TVs 24" and under.

They all suck so just take your pick or go to CL and find a used one.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So is Xbox one s the best uhd player/4K streamer? Looks comparable in price to everything else but also a console

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's arguably the worst UHD player on the market. It's had numerous disc compatibility issues and has bad audio handling.

As far as 4k streamers go, it doesn't have Vudu 4k support yet which has, by far, the most 4k content.

Buy the Xbone to play games, its media handling is second rate.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It's arguably the worst UHD player on the market. It's had numerous disc compatibility issues and has bad audio handling.

As far as 4k streamers go, it doesn't have Vudu 4k support yet which has, by far, the most 4k content.

Buy the Xbone to play games, its media handling is second rate.
It's second rate at games, too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bought one today because I don't mind the compromise on either side. By the time I get an Atmos setup, better UHD players will be available at a fraction of the cost so the audio nonsense doesn't bother me none. Also, from what I've read a lot of the disc issues people have had are based on a few titles and that the publishers have swapped discs for people which have resulted in working copies. I have no intention of buying 'Lucy' which seems to be the most reported case, so it's no big deal to me.

I'm not a big gamer, so lacking teraflops or a few exclusive titles isn't an issue either. I think my main concerns from a gaming side are the fact the controller still uses 2xAA batteries and they don't even give you the shittiest of headsets anymore.

So for me, it'll be perfectly fine. Your milage may vary. I already have other STBs for streaming so I probably won't even set those things up on it, except out of boredom to see how they work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Philips player is $249 at Target right now (and comes with Creed.) While I know that's like 85% of the cost of the Xbone, it's also using the same platform of the $699 Panasonic player. It works very well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bull3964 posted:

The Philips player is $249 at Target right now (and comes with Creed.) While I know that's like 85% of the cost of the Xbone, it's also using the same platform of the $699 Panasonic player. It works very well.

And it probably bitstreams DTS:X/Atmos so its a step ahead. Can't believe that poo poo on the Bone.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Isn't it not as good as the other set top players, like more limited in the 4:4:4 12 bit whatever department? I don't really understand what that all is but it seems like it's VERY important to some people. Of course, I am reading a lot of threads on AVS, so it could be totally meaningless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LmaoTheKid posted:

And it probably bitstreams DTS:X/Atmos

Yes, it does. It also has dual HDMI outputs in case your receiver can't handle 4k, so you can output audio to the receiver and go straight to the TV with video.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Yes, it does. It also has dual HDMI outputs in case your receiver can't handle 4k, so you can output audio to the receiver and go straight to the TV with video.

I won't have an atmos setup in forever but that's really cool.

Also Xbox one S is really fine at games and HDR in games kind of owns.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dogen posted:

Isn't it not as good as the other set top players, like more limited in the 4:4:4 12 bit whatever department? I don't really understand what that all is but it seems like it's VERY important to some people. Of course, I am reading a lot of threads on AVS, so it could be totally meaningless.

The only thing it's limited with is it can't naively output REC2020 with HDR stripped off. If you turn off HDR, you drop down to REC709. I believe the panasonic player can do that. There are people out there that want WCG, but not HDR.

What you are referring to is a misconfiguration and/or limitation of display.

By default, "Deep Color" is turned on. This has nothing to do with WCG. It's an older HDMI thing that allowed for output of higher bit depth than normal. Regular blu-rays were 8 bit and Deep Color allowed for 10,12, or even 16 bit color output. The theory was if you expanded the bit depth of the video output to match the display (for example, if you had a 10 bit panel), you might have smoother gradations. But, if things don't match well, you get issues like banding.

So, by default, Deep Color is set to Auto on the player so for a lot of TVs it will default to 12 bit which is higher than the UHD spec at 10 bit. So, some TVs have issues with the color depth expansion and have banding and everyone has a collective fit. If your TV shows banding on default settings turning off Deep Color on the player should solve them and you'll still be REC2020 with HDR.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

*TV fades to black at end of movie*

"Hey did the TV just turn off"

:smuggo:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It never gets old. I like it when you watch something a bit wider than 1.78:1 and you look at the border of the TV and wonder why it's a bit thicker on top and bottom until you remember that it's not.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

sellouts posted:

*TV fades to black at end of movie*

"Hey did the TV just turn off"

:smuggo:

My wife keeps turning the tv off because it's impossible to tell except for the red standby light that you can't really see at all. Also it's fantastic to have 0 startup time, though it wasn't really that bad with our old ccfl LCD.

Thanks man! That is by far the most accessible and concise explanation I have seen in looking at UHD players since we got our 4K tv a couple weeks ago. I was thinking I would need to get that dumb expensive bulky Samsung because of this potential issue but it doesn't sound like it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No problem. I think the only other caveat is that some people were having issue getting the Netflix app at 10bit color and were seeing banding, but it not something I think about since the streaming of this player should be the last thing on anyone's mind.

But that's the issue as I understand it. I think it's mostly Samsung TVs that show the banding on 12bit output, I've never noticed a difference on my tv between 12bit and 10bit.

There's been a lot of people that have reported a red push with the Samsung players.

One thing with HDR is that it's not well understood yet and the calibration targets are looser. It's a bit wild west as far as that goes.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I've seen that in the DV v HDR10 debates, that the DV spec has more range (which at this time can't be used) but also better guidelines for content.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The big pro with DV is it adapts to your display. Every DV certified display has what they call a Golden Reference File that describes the capabilities of the display. That's used to tone map the HDR metadata frame by frame to ensure nothing is clipped. That also means that most DV displays have gently caress all for adjustments under DV mode. On my LG, I can only change basic controls, there isn't even a two point white balance. So, while content is tone mapped to your exact display model, you also can't adjust for any individual manufacturing variances.

HDR10 is static metadata. The dynamic range is set once for the whole movie and while the TV can tone map things outside it's range, the static nature of the metadata means it's not adaptable scene by scene.

HDR discs are mastered to 1000 or 4000 nits, so you can see the issue there. The brightest TVs on the market can only get around 1500 nits for coverage of under 10%, so you can see the issue for 4000nit discs, they are going to clip for every display on the market.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not mine

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Deserved for being mounted above a fireplace, imho.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

Deserved for being mounted above a fireplace, imho.

If they had mounted it maybe they would just have sore necks, but they apparently decided to go with the "I'm sure the mantel can hold this much weight" approach.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

gently caress, I really wish we didn't have a fireplace. We never use it and I'd rather just have a wall to mount our TV on.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Elderbean posted:

gently caress, I really wish we didn't have a fireplace. We never use it and I'd rather just have a wall to mount our TV on.

When we moved two years ago it was hard to find a house built after 00 that wasn't laid out around a TV over the fireplace.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Don Lapre posted:

When we moved two years ago it was hard to find a house built after 00 that wasn't laid out around a TV over the fireplace.

I built a house a couple years ago, and the builder was arguing hard that we should put a fireplace in. In Houston. We declined and the living room is way easier to lay out however we want now.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Even in western Washington, I don't understand why a fireplace is necessary. It doesn't get that cold here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Built a house in Wisconsin and I told them no fireplace. Just put in a kickin rad entertainment center instead.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Above my fireplace is the only place in my apartment that I can realistically put the tv. The bottom of the screen is at about the height that I would like, which sucks, but worth it to have a functioning furniture layout. We originally had it mounted about 5 inches higher, and moving it down made a world of difference.

On the plus side, either side of the fireplace makes a really nice place to put floor standing speakers, so being able to actually hear stuff is nice.

Elderbean posted:

Even in western Washington, I don't understand why a fireplace is necessary. It doesn't get that cold here.

I'm live in western Washington and use my fireplace all the time. It's not because I'm cold, it's because being in front of the fire feels awesome.

Probably won't seek out a fireplace when I move out of here, but as long as it's here I will be toasty warm all the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Phew, that was a marathon.

Finally hit 500 hours on my TV so I sat down and calibrated the hell out of it. Spent about 4 hours on it tonight. ISF Dark Room is done which is the majority of my viewing. I'll probably do ISF Bright Room on the weekend when it's, you know, bright when I'm home.

21pt white balance was fun. I have no idea how long it would have taken me had I not had a FireTV stick and mobileforge. Automated pattern generation is the way to go.

Even got into the CMS a bit even though that has the ability to cause artifacts. My plan of attack here was to enter in what the calibration indicates and then i'll back off the changes gradually as I notice artifacts until none are present.

Got to say, the tv really looks great so far. Maybe there will be a few subtle tweaks here and there, but I think I've gotten it 98% of the way there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Please come around and do mine now. For... er... practice?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Please come around and do mine now. For... er... practice?

I will pass. Time for me to really start enjoying the TV rather than messing around with it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey all, I've got a three year old-ish TV that appears to be having some lip sync issues. At first I thought it was the audio but I'm fairly certain the video is ever so slightly behind.

My model is a TOSHIBA LED TV 23L1350U.

I've screwed with most of the video settings (turning off dynamic contrast etc) and have had no luck.

Any ideas? Problem persists with both PS4 and Xbone.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You can put it on game mode, but if you're running the sound through a receiver you can probably just add some delay there to match up with the audio. The TV is probably inordinately slow at video processing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

No receiver, just the speakers. The TV somehow survived a 40 hour+ drive cross country.

I updated the firmware and that seems to have solved the issue, oddly enough.

Will probably shell out for a 4K tv soon too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ack they really weren't kidding about the bones UHD drive, it won't play my copy of The Revenant at all. I'd only seen one or two titles mentioned, and not this one. Jesus.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What TV mount would be recommended for someone who has a fireplace and no other options? I'm looking for a nice mount with the ability to pull the TV out and lower it a bit so it's closer to eye level. Are soundbars good enough for a small living room? What's the typical speaker solution in the 200-300 price range?

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 17, 2016

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Elderbean posted:

What TV mount would be recommended for someone who has a fireplace and no other options? I'm looking for a nice mount with the ability to pull the TV out and lower it a bit so it's closer to eye level. Are soundbars good enough for a small living room? What's the typical speaker solution in the 200-300 price range?

The Vizio SB4051-C0 occasionally drops to $300 and it's what I plan on picking up for our newly remodeled den/TV room

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Elderbean posted:

There's a lot of full motion mounts that pull out and tilt, but I don't recall seeing anything that drops down when I was looking. Full motion is pretty cool. I love when I'm home alone and get to swing the tv around so it's straight in my face.

Monoprice has some good mounts with decent specs available. Most mounts are pretty similar, but things like "how far does the tv stick out from the wall" weren't terribly easy to find out.

lemmiwinks
Apr 28, 2003
Anyone have a recommendation for refurbished/cheaper/reliable 80 inch TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
There are plenty of drop down mounts

https://www.google.com/search?q=dro...mobile&ie=UTF-8