Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Kopijeger posted:

I don't remember exactly where it was, but one of the books in the trilogy directly references FM-2030. Now, how likely is this person to be remembered in the year 40k-something?
The omnibus contains a short story in which he's basically described as one of the earliest founding members of the Mechanicum. I suppose that makes it reasonably likely that some information about him would be found in a few Martian data-vaults. They never delete anything, after all. :v:

Of course, the question of how much ancient knowledge and lore have been preserved until M41 is another one of those things that varies from BL author to BL author. In Pariah a small, ancient toy rocket makes an appearance whose provenance nobody knows anything about because the letters CCCP stencilled on its side mean nothing to them, while in Priests of Mars one character finds himself reminded of "the gladiatorial warriors of the Romanii empire from Old Earth's ancient history". :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Didn't unremembered empire start off with a quote from one "Shakespire"?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Didn't unremembered empire start off with a quote from one "Shakespire"?

One of the Horus Heresy books mentions someone having read all three of Shakespire's plays

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know we still read the Greek tragedies thousands of years later. Sure 40000 years is ludicrous but there is precedent for knowing ancient texts

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I was gonna nerd slap fight about the cultural impact of Rome vs USSR but I dunno if it's worth it.

Just gonna say I think there's a big difference between the two, especially with the clearly roman styling in 40k. Also Emperor was totally Augustus.

It is lame schlock though as well.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Fellblade posted:

I was gonna nerd slap fight about the cultural impact of Rome vs USSR but I dunno if it's worth it.

Just gonna say I think there's a big difference between the two, especially with the clearly roman styling in 40k. Also Emperor was totally Augustus.

It is lame schlock though as well.
Yeah, those were just the two examples that came to mind, and not very good ones either no doubt. :shobon:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

In Pariah a small, ancient toy rocket makes an appearance whose provenance nobody knows anything about because the letters CCCP stencilled on its side mean nothing to them, while in Priests of Mars one character finds himself reminded of "the gladiatorial warriors of the Romanii empire from Old Earth's ancient history". :shrug:

Also from Pariah, hadn't Bequin been taught the language of the ancient Franc, ie contempary French? It could be sort of plausible for a historian or historical linguist studying ancient Terran cultures to know it (depending on what records survive), but someone living on a distant colony world that has had its own history and cultural development for thousands of years? Also, I think one Space Marine from the Horus Heresy books had mentioned reading Herodot's histories at some point. Something like that might survive that long, but the problem with this idea is that for a culture in the year 30000 looking 28000 years into the past will be much trickier than looking 2000 or even 12000 years into the past. But I guess the writers have to shoehorn in references familiar to the readers, no matter how implausible it might seem.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of the Horus Heresy books mentions someone having read all three of Shakespire's plays

One of the primarchs, probably Lorgar, is mentioned as having a translated copy of the Voynich Manuscript in his library.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MMAgCh posted:

Of course, the question of how much ancient knowledge and lore have been preserved until M41 is another one of those things that varies from BL author to BL author. In Pariah a small, ancient toy rocket makes an appearance whose provenance nobody knows anything about because the letters CCCP stencilled on its side mean nothing to them, while in Priests of Mars one character finds himself reminded of "the gladiatorial warriors of the Romanii empire from Old Earth's ancient history". :shrug:
Ask a 12 year old what "CCCP" (or USSR, for that matter) means. Then ask him for the first thing that pops into his mind when you say "Ancient Rome."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ask a 12 year old what "CCCP" (or USSR, for that matter) means. Then ask him for the first thing that pops into his mind when you say "Ancient Rome."

Yeah, go up to a little kid and ask him if he likes gladiator movies.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, go up to a little kid and ask him if he likes gladiator movies.

Or if he's ever been in a Turkish prison?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

MMAgCh posted:

The omnibus contains a short story in which he's basically described as one of the earliest founding members of the Mechanicum. I suppose that makes it reasonably likely that some information about him would be found in a few Martian data-vaults. They never delete anything, after all. :v:

In all fairness Rome lasted over 1000 years as a major empire and the Emperor has a raging boner for it.

CCCP was a 75 year thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mllaneza posted:

One of the primarchs, probably Lorgar, is mentioned as having a translated copy of the Voynich Manuscript in his library.

Not one of the primarchs, Ahriman.

Perturabo, on the other hand, has a bunch of Leonardo da Vinci's drawings.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
There was also an audio drama where Malcador the Sigillite was collecting historical artifacts to safeguard them. One of them was the Rosetta stone.

Come to think of it, shouldn't the Great Crusade-era Imperium be most interested in the Dark Age of Technology, when technical sophistication and scientific insight was at its height?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 12, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Imperium has weird priorities about technological history? Nooooooooo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Timon of Athens, Two Gentlemen of Verona, and The Comedy of Errors.

Truly, the grimmest and/or darkest of all possible futures.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kopijeger posted:

There was also an audio drama where Malcador the Sigillite was collecting historical artifacts to safeguard them. One of them was the Rosetta stone.

That was also a short story in the "The Silent War" anthology, which was pretty cool, especially as a branch in the main storyline after Flight of the Eisenstein..

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Someone in the Heresy literally remembers assassinating Martin Luther King Jr., so :iiam:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Preechr posted:

Someone in the Heresy literally remembers assassinating Martin Luther King Jr., so :iiam:

That's personal memory from an immortal man. Which is very different from institutional memory or historical knowledge.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Bit of an odd question: Has anyone ever in-universe mocked the Death Guard by calling them a Lesion rather than a Legion.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Don't think so but I could totally see a Cain book where some plague marine complains about Jurgen's body odor.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

The Sex Cannon posted:

Can anyone tell me why Mortarion fell to chaos? Is it just that he and Horus were bros? He seemed like a pretty well-balanced dude.

It isn't really covered (or at least covered in a way with good characterization and not "evil because we need him to be evil") until Scars but basically

Mortarion was raised under an ideology of only the toughest survive (due to it being a death world) and through that strength and endurance ruled, where reaving psykers would come in and mow down those strongest when they tried to stop them. He hates hates HATES psykers as a result, and was one of the ones pushing to have them banned and exterminated in the new Imperium.

The repressed side of that is, while he covered it well, he did not like his psycher family members as well. He was also the physically toughest of all of them. So under his ideology, he was the one most worthy to rule (toughest) and the psykers were again robbing him and his of their due right to rule. He was angry about this, but couldn't really due poo poo because dear old dad is psyker #1 so he kept it quiet, played the game of appearing to be smooth and amiable but was really becoming increasingly bitter.

When the opportunity arose he immediately joined with Horus because he wanted to get rid of the psykers, and then intended to betray Horus after the Emperor was deposed and assume the throne himself. Because he was the toughest and the toughest deserve to rule.

However he knew he couldn't straight up beat Horus so he started dabbling in sorcery to have an edge. And as he saw Lorgar and Horus using more of it, he began to do more as well.

So he always thought he was entitled to rule, became bitter he couldn't, jumped at betrayal for his own ambition, then in a massive display of hypocrisy started doing the stuff he hated while admitting through his actions that he wasn't the strongest and thus didn't deserve to rule.

Khan more or less lays this out amidst a duel on Prosperto (the Death Guard was raiding it for knowledge and because Mortarion had used prophecy to know Khan would be there) while Mortarion was asking Khan to join him and help overthrow Horus. Khan points out that he is a hypocritical narcissist with delusions of how good he is, and deep down Mortarion knows it too - if Mortarion were as deserving to rule as he claims he wouldn't need Khan's help and Morty was begging for help because he was a failure and knew it; also the hypocrisy of hating psykers while coming to Prosperto to be better at it)

Which is why the White Scars and Death Guard hate each other

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Where do the farts figure in all of that

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Shakespire said it best- A primarch fart in he own mouth... a shameful primarch

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Skarsnik posted:

Where do the farts figure in all of that

He gets high on his own supply

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Safety Factor posted:

Angels of Caliban was decent. The two main plotlines are the Lion hunting Curze in Imperium Secundus and Luther doing his thing on Caliban. No Erebus involved at all. The ending is really loving stupid though.

Have to disagree with this. Everyone in Angels of Caliban was aggressively, painfully stupid. It develops the plot, but in the stupidest possible way. Better to read a synopsis than suffer through reading it yourself.

Hopefully Praetorians of Dorn is better, as it's next on my list.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I decided to skip Angels of Caliban myself. Having then read a summary of it, I do not regret that descision.

Praetorians of Dorn I finished last week. It's not bad. Consequential stuff actually happens. There's a little to much for plausibility "Ha Ha! Just as planned" from the Alpha Legion side but it's basically a decent read.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Fried Chicken posted:

mortarion stuff

Thanks for this. I've never really given a poo poo about the Death Guard, but this makes them seem much more interesting.

I'm like halfway through Fulgrim and here are some spicy hot takes:
- The Iron Hands are very stupid.
- The Emperor's Children are a bunch of mooks.
- Fulgrim still suuuuuuuuucks.
- Good thing they added strong, multi-dimensional female characters.
- Eldrad's gracefully tapering ears.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Thanks for this. I've never really given a poo poo about the Death Guard, but this makes them seem much more interesting.

I'm like halfway through Fulgrim and here are some spicy hot takes:
- The Iron Hands are very stupid.
- The Emperor's Children are a bunch of mooks.
- Fulgrim still suuuuuuuuucks.
- Good thing they added strong, multi-dimensional female characters.
- Eldrad's gracefully tapering ears.

When you finish with Fulgrim, check it's continuation, the novella "The reflection crack'd", it's the icing on the cake of the Emperor's Children stupidity.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Angry Lobster posted:

When you finish with Fulgrim, check it's continuation, the novella "The reflection crack'd", it's the icing on the cake of the Emperor's Children stupidity. got sexy times with butt plugs in it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fulgrim is like sigvald the magnificent except less fabulous and more of a fuckboy. Besides fabulous bile already exists

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I really like the idea of pre-Heresy Emperor's Children obsessiveness and I also love Noise Marines, so the Emperor's Children are okay in my books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
From the Weird Fanart thread, I thought these looked aweseome:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Some Russians made these mildly amusing songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu7ddmL6Vfs&t=155s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz7jOry30f4&t=90s

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I just finished Fulgrim. Thoughts:
- A death and sex orgy. Cool, man.
- Iron Hands more like Iron Heads am i right
- Fulgrim got exactly what he deserved
- Horus just straight up didn't care about Fulgrim's fate. I though they were besties?

The Emperor's Children are the worst Legion. What a bunch of assholes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I don't think Horus doesn't care. He did resolve to avenge him after all.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Sex Cannon posted:

I just finished Fulgrim. Thoughts:
- A death and sex orgy. Cool, man.
- Iron Hands more like Iron Heads am i right
- Fulgrim got exactly what he deserved
- Horus just straight up didn't care about Fulgrim's fate. I though they were besties?

The Emperor's Children are the worst Legion. What a bunch of assholes.

Yeah but Fulgrim's uhm 'replacement' gets retconned almost immediately in the novella mentioned a few posts up but then he decides 'Welp. Guess I'll turn to Slannesh anyway' :shrug: and he ends up becoming a Demon Lord. It's almost as if they didn't plan anything out in advance and indidvidual authors are making up whatever plotline they want as they go along *cough* Imperium Secundus *cough*.

Edit: Incidentally, I tend to listen to the Heresy books as audiobooks. Does anybody else who does this find the name 'Imperium Secundus' sound increasingly clunky and annoying with every repetition.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 21, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

There's a bit in Path of Heaven where Horus says to Mortarian that he's not too bovved about fulgrim buggering off to be weird and sexy as he only needed him for Istvaan

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deptfordx posted:

Edit: Incidentally, I tend to listen to the Heresy books as audiobooks. Does anybody else who does this find the name 'Imperium Secundus' sound increasingly clunky and annoying with every repetition.
If you actually know Latin then not only does "secundus" mean second, it also means "following" and thus, idiomatically is a nautical term meaning "favourable" so... yeah, not sure that was intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

If you actually know Latin then not only does "secundus" mean second, it also means "following" and thus, idiomatically is a nautical term meaning "favourable" so... yeah, not sure that was intentional.

It's not the Latin, you'd have to be pretty cloistered not to work out the whole 'Second Empire' naming convention.

It's the artificial way it's used. No one says The New Empire/Imperium, or the Second Empire, or anything else that would sound even vaguely natural. It's the incredibly clunky way everyone says 'Imperium Secundus' in the inconsistent style that they use Latin (quite often cod Latin) when they feel like it.