Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Was Shin-Godzilla released in the US? or did you see it on DVD or what?

Funimation is doing a limited run of it in theaters, from the 11th to the 18th of this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Raxivace posted:

I really liked it. Haven't seen any of Anno's other live action stuff yet though, so it was a bit odd to see his style here.

It didn't really strike me as odd at all, I totally lapped it up. So many rapid jump cuts to still lingering shots, white text on black backgrounds, using objects and interesting camera angles to frame shots, UMPH that hit me in the spot. And it even had music from Eva in it.

It helps that I'm already a big fan of both Godzilla and Evangelion so this movie was like a dream come true to me.

I can tell it was for Anno, too. So much thought was put into this, it seems like this movie has been cooking in his brain for decades. From how people actually reacted to this, all the politics behind the decision-making, the biology of the monster, poo poo, he thought of everything. Who would have thought a Godzilla movie would not only be a political thriller \ satire but also slightly leaning towards hard sci-fi?

It wasn't perfect - some effects shots looked really dodgy, whenever people tried to speak English it went poorly and Gojira's googly fish eyes looked kinda silly, but these are all minor things that come with the territory and didn't bug me much.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Don't get me wrong, I loved the hell out of the movie. I'm just so used to seeing Anno's style in anime that it was a bit surreal to see it in live action. Even stuff like the white text on black backgrounds has a bit of a different effect in live-action than animation, I think (Really reminds me of Godard's Masculin Feminin, if anyone here has seen that).

I did think it was cool to see Anno use stuff that you typically couldn't use in animation be done here, like the handheld camera work or The West Wing-style walk-and-talk tracking shots.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder who is gonna helm the inevitable decade of Shin Godzilla sequels

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I've kind of wanted a live-action Evangelion because I feel like it's the kind of thing that doesn't really have to be anime and could potentially work well in live action if it weren't for what would be costly special effects shows. This was very much like a live-action Evangelion.

Now granted, Hollywood could never do it because it's totally anathema to Hollywood sensibilities, but in the aftermath of things like Game of Thrones and Stranger Things, maybe a live action Eva television series could actually work. I want an HBO Dune, too.

In Training posted:

I wonder who is gonna helm the inevitable decade of Shin Godzilla sequels

I dunno, but I almost feel like they should just leave this movie as a cliffhanger as whatever comes next inevitably will not be nearly as good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah it'll probably follow the original trajectory of "sci-Fi story reflecting on modern social issues in Japan -> Godzilla delivering elbow bombs to pterodactyls 2 sequels later"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

In Training posted:

Yeah it'll probably follow the original trajectory of "sci-Fi story reflecting on modern social issues in Japan -> Godzilla delivering elbow bombs to pterodactyls 2 sequels later"

are you implying that pterodactyls aren't an important modern social issue

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think you can do a live action thing like Eva (Such as Shin Godzilla stylistically), but I'm not sure Eva itself would work as live action since it's so tied into thoughts about anime and anime genres and anime fans as a whole.

Like I guess you could technically still do that in live action, but it would come off way differently...and is it still Eva that point? Kind of strikes me as a Ship of Thebes thing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

evangelion as live action would cast the weirdness of its anime aspects in even starker relief, which would own

like imagine the scene of asuka freaking out because touji dropped trou or the scene with unit-01 holding kaworu before it crushes him but with live actors, it'd be loving bizarre

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

evangelion as live action would cast the weirdness of its anime aspects in even starker relief, which would own

like imagine the scene of asuka freaking out because touji dropped trou or the scene with unit-01 holding kaworu before it crushes him but with live actors, it'd be loving bizarre

Elevator scene would be Awkwardness Nirvana.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Live action Eva would be killer if Anno was involved but idk if I trust anyone else working with that material. a second round of rebuilds in live action would be sweet though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shot for shot remakes but in live action just sounds pointless to me, and that's all I'd expect from someone other than Anno making it. Anno himself would probably make it interesting, but I'd prefer to see him move on to something else after Rebuild is done.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Shot for shot remakes but in live action just sounds pointless to me, and that's all I'd expect from someone other than Anno making it. Anno himself would probably make it interesting, but I'd prefer to see him move on to something else after Rebuild is done.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if Anno himself ever touches Eva again after Rebuild. I'm sure he's got a lot of Eva fatigue.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

In Training posted:

Live action Eva would be killer if Anno was involved but idk if I trust anyone else working with that material. a second round of rebuilds in live action would be sweet though.

Yeah, I dunno if I trust anyone else to do it either, and yeah, Anno should do different things once he finishes Eva 4.0.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I'd be shocked if Anno himself ever touches Eva again after Rebuild. I'm sure he's got a lot of Eva fatigue.

Maybe he'll just come back to it every 15-20 years; it's important enough to him and rich enough that he could do something like that. Third Impact of Evangelion in 2035?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

In Training posted:

Looking forward to Shin Godzuki.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

In Training posted:

Anno should make a movie about godzilla fighting corporate influence on art.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm sure Anno owns too much Gunpla to be against that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I'm sure Anno owns too much Gunpla to be against that.

To be fair Anno at once supporting something and loathing it is not out of character for him.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shin Godzilla is the kind of movie that could never, ever be made in America because Hollywood focus groups would have nothing to do with this.

The same really goes for anything Anno does, really.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Shin Godzilla is the kind of movie that could never, ever be made in America because Hollywood focus groups would have nothing to do with this.

Imagine pitching Evangelion to a western animation studio.

"And then he grabs the girl's tit right, by accident. It's really awkward and oh she's underage by the way, and did I forget to mention she's also like a clone of his mom crossed with an alien that's also the mother of all humanity thus making it kind of incesty?"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Did anyone have weird experiences with Shin Godzilla in theaters? I went with my father, and we were the only ones in the theater up before about five minutes until the movie started. People started pouring in, including some families with young children. Right before the movie started, this older man's phone rings, he talked for a minute kind of loudly, yelled out "GOD DAMMIT!" and then left the theater, never to be seen again (What angered this man I will never know). This group of like six twenty-somethings kept talking during previews too, one of which loudly proclaimed "IT'S STILL PREVIEWS I'M ALLOWED TO TALK" and then were generally annoying during the whole film. After the film was over these fucks walked together in a horizontal line down the hallway exit (To the point you couldn't just walk by them), and just loudly went on about how much they hated the movie. I hated these people and am almost glad they will likely spend decades paying off student loans.

The little kids were totally cool with the movie though, followed basic theater etiquette while it was playing, and seemed to like it. :unsmith:

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair Anno at once supporting something and loathing it is not out of character for him.
Haha, true.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 14, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

There's a lot of cool + unique movies being made in Hollywood, they're not all like that!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

There's a lot of cool + unique movies being made in Hollywood, they're not all like that!!

Actually they're all terrible super hero movies

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
movie had some very good bits, but overall felt kind of uneven

still a worthwhile watch, and the horrible nerd in me ate up the little eva references, but all in all i would have preferred another rebuild movie

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Slime posted:

Imagine pitching Evangelion to a western animation studio.

"And then he grabs the girl's tit right, by accident. It's really awkward and oh she's underage by the way, and did I forget to mention she's also like a clone of his mom crossed with an alien that's also the mother of all humanity thus making it kind of incesty?"

ADV did this. I absolutely do not want a live action Eva to come to fruition but I'd love to see their pitch materials and slug script from the safe position of it never happening.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Movie was loving awesome. Not only was this a better godzilla movie than the US 2014 one (goddamn way better performances from the actors here), but it was also classic Anno is every way. Loved it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Evangelion seem oddly un-touched for a western-ish remake, Pacific Rim aside. Even if you stripped the idea that God/Heaven is the one sending the monsters trying to cause an apocalypse I think you could easily sell just the basic format of:

- Kids being needed to drive the giant robots, sometimes against their will, to save the world and the world being subject to their drama

- The unique way the fights appear and resolve, and the idea that they're limited/prophesied in a way that appears a bit shady, but necessary

- The slow reveal of the defense force and the robots being more child-abusive/illuminati/ulterior motivated than they appear, but again...maybe necessary

- The broad strokes of the ending where the final battle is the rest of humanity turning on the defense force in a morally confusing battle between what seems like an ungrateful world vs. the defense forces robots/kids/conspiracy that they feel entitled to for saving everyone. With it all coming back down to the kids and their simple take on the whole thing.

- Hell go full hog and then imply that the conspiracy is the remakes thing where we appear to have a few people who are "looping" through the scenario with prior knowledge and are trying to perfect the defense.

Yeah you're missing out on a lot of what appeals Eva to anime fans and longtime fans but I really do think there's an extremely compelling story/plot that doesn't depend on any of that stuff in the grand scheme of things.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Evangelion seem oddly un-touched for a western-ish remake, Pacific Rim aside. Even if you stripped the idea that God/Heaven is the one sending the monsters trying to cause an apocalypse I think you could easily sell just the basic format of:

- Kids being needed to drive the giant robots, sometimes against their will, to save the world and the world being subject to their drama

- The unique way the fights appear and resolve, and the idea that they're limited/prophesied in a way that appears a bit shady, but necessary

- The slow reveal of the defense force and the robots being more child-abusive/illuminati/ulterior motivated than they appear, but again...maybe necessary

- The broad strokes of the ending where the final battle is the rest of humanity turning on the defense force in a morally confusing battle between what seems like an ungrateful world vs. the defense forces robots/kids/conspiracy that they feel entitled to for saving everyone. With it all coming back down to the kids and their simple take on the whole thing.

- Hell go full hog and then imply that the conspiracy is the remakes thing where we appear to have a few people who are "looping" through the scenario with prior knowledge and are trying to perfect the defense.

Yeah you're missing out on a lot of what appeals Eva to anime fans and longtime fans but I really do think there's an extremely compelling story/plot that doesn't depend on any of that stuff in the grand scheme of things.

If we're talking about Hollywood-izing Evangelion, my biggest concern with any attempt to do that is that the most powerful moments of the series are the ones where Shinji stares his depression and self-loathing square in the face, and most of those don't really lend themselves to big AAA hollywood moviemaking techniques. Take that away and you're left with a framework that would work better as a Gundam movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think the appeal of "what about a Evangelion adaptation" is the thought of an American film actually doing that stuff.

Basically the Chronicle to NGE's Akira.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Americans absolutely need to keep their greasy hands off Evangelion.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

K. Flaps posted:

Americans absolutely need to keep their greasy hands off Evangelion.

I unironically want the Eastern European live action Evangelion, post-Soviet dilapidation would be the perfect aesthetic.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

There's a few people in Hollywood who really liked Eva, like Robin Williams, Peter Jackson, David Lynch and Steven Spielberg (don't have a source on the last two but I remember reading it somewhere.)

But Eva totally breaks a million mainstream Hollywood rules and is not the sort of thing that would go over well with focus groups or general audiences. Many people who see it hate it because of just how pathetic Shinji is or think it's boring, completely missing the point.

Hollywood's Evangelion is basically Pacific Rim, which keeps a similar aesthetic but is very, very heavily watered down. Eva is filled with moments that are just plain shocking and hosed up that film execs would never allow in a big budget Hollywood movie. I mean, hell, it's kind of surprising it was even allowed in Japan and it certainly pissed off a lot of people there, too. I mean, it has a scene where the protagonist jerks off on a girl in a loving coma for gently caress's sake.

That said, after watching Stranger Things and Twin Peaks, the idea popped into my head that a short TV series on a streaming service would be a much better fit for Eva than a big budget Hollywood movie. By having episodes, you manage to have a longer runtime so you don't miss out on characterization (sort of why I feel like the Rebuilds don't stand on their own and wouldn't recommend them to people who haven't seen the series first.) And when you do something for a streaming service like Netflix or Hulu, you don't have to adhere to network standards. The only downside to this over a movie is that the budget would be a lot tighter and the effects would likely suffer for it. And a live action Eva would be pretty laden with special effects, which is why a lot of Japanese sci-fi is anime in the first place.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hmm yes and maybe for this prestige television run of evangelion you could do it as animation, to reduce overhead and keep the effects looking incredible on a shoestring budget

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Hmm yes and maybe for this prestige television run of evangelion you could do it as animation, to reduce overhead and keep the effects looking incredible on a shoestring budget

hmm yeah i think you're on to something here. maybe have a feature length final episode to wrap it up?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't want the Stranger Things take on Evangelion, man. I the 1990s American Power Rangers take on Evangelion. I want to see it bastardized, not reproduced in the general without the particular.

(I say, rather hypocritically, because at the end of the day I enjoyed Stranger Things well enough.)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Most of this still just reads like watering Eva down to make it more palatable for a mass audience. :shrug:

It would be like if we remade Vertigo but reduced it to the mystery plot to really grab the audience for Sherlock Holmes adaptations and the like.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 14, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Most of this still just reads like watering Eva down to make it more palatable for a mass audience. :shrug:

Well, I mean, if I wanted something that is to American cinema what Evangelion is to anime, Michael Bay already exists. You don't need to adapt Evangelion to get there, and in fact, it's probably impossible for any adaptation to be what Evangelion is in its native form, so to speak.

That doesn't mean I'm not interested in the completely separate phenomenon of cultural cross-pollination.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, I mean, if I wanted something that is to American cinema what Evangelion is to anime, Michael Bay already exists.
Yeah you're gonna have to explain this one, because I see absolutely zero in common between Bay and Evangelion, other than his Transformers movies being in the mecha genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Raxivace posted:

Well that was sort of the point. I'm saying I love what it is already but I don't agree that it's impossible to port it over successfully, and I think there's a compelling and sellable plot there even if you strip it down to the bare essentials of "prophesied numbered monsters, :smugdog: shady defense force, and kids in giant robots". Like yeah it wouldn't be the same but as far as relatively fresh ideas for a giant robot movie go that's not bad at all and I bet America would like it. I'm saying there's stuff beyond the depression analogues and Impact/AT/Rei origin/Conspiracy stuff that really works and could live independent of the rest of it. It's better all together, but if you wanted Hollywood to make one there's a hook there already that wouldn't chase away most people.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 14, 2016