Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The garage tree may not be as silly as it looks, if that's the yard side and intended to allow you to drive the riding mower out maybe? I'm trying here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
For when you're too lazy to drop $1 on a two switch faceplate

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I might just be jaded, but I'm thinking that it's not in a box, or not in the correct box, and a normal two switch faceplate may just not fit properly on it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's nothing great about watching TV while you're eating unless you live alone.

Not every meal has to be the family meal. It's good for when you're cooking or eating breakfast/lunch. I know I like to have something on while i'm working in there (which I am, frequently, as I love to cook)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

`Nemesis posted:

I might just be jaded, but I'm thinking that it's not in a box, or not in the correct box, and a normal two switch faceplate may just not fit properly on it.

I'm going with a joke picture, which a lot ITT are. But some can't be faked.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Suspect Bucket posted:

Not every meal has to be the family meal. It's good for when you're cooking or eating breakfast/lunch. I know I like to have something on while i'm working in there (which I am, frequently, as I love to cook)

Bless you

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Also, the word on Reddit was that it was an older plasma TV. For those not in the know, they're heavyweights. Just look how much glass came out of it.

Link?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

Also, the word on Reddit was that it was an older plasma TV. For those not in the know, they're heavyweights. Just look how much glass came out of it.

If it’s a plasma TV it was probably on death’s doorstep mantelshelf anyway.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I have the last run of Panasonic plasma TVs and it's loving glorious. RIP proper, deep blacks and RIP the $10/mo in energy costs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dillbag posted:

I have the last run of Panasonic plasma TVs and it's loving glorious. RIP proper, deep blacks and RIP the $10/mo in energy costs.

Y'know, over ten years ago I went to a tech show and saw a prototype display that used an array of independently-controlled lights for the backlight instead of having a single global brightness setting. Even with the relatively crude backlight grid in the demo (which only had a couple dozen lights for a standard computer screen, if I recall correctly) it made a huge difference in the achievable contrast compared to the standard "monolithic" backlight system. It just looked miles better. Sure it's a bit more complicated to manufacture, but you'd think this kind of thing would be available in at least some consumer-grade products.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nearly all LED backlit displays that aren't from Walmart have adaptive, zone-controlled backlighting. Or, at least, that's what I thought. It's called "local dimming" and has been a thing since 2014.

Instead of being used to make screens better and better, it's been used by most budget manufacturers to allow for larger, cheaper panels that would otherwise have totally poo poo blacks without it, and instead are only passable with it. There are a ton of 4k TVs today that aren't Vizio or Hisense that use it really well, though.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 14, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dillbag posted:

I have one of the final few years of samsung plasmas. Its gonna suck when it finally dies.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

nm posted:

I have one of the final few years of samsung plasmas. Its gonna suck when it finally dies.

Same.

Gonna save for OLED.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/5742eg/gently caress/d8ozw2w

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jam aint gonna can it's self

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if interior design WTF qualifies as crappy construction, but anything to get away from T.V. talk.

Fell free to speculate about the weird copy/paste nature of everything in the foreground.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

looks like someone's crappy cabin that they're really proud looks rustic and country.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Baronjutter posted:

looks like someone's crappy cabin suburban home kitchen that they're really proud looks rustic and country.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

That whole blog really.

Seems like some hvac companies set up blogs like this to drive traffic, dunno if this is all just leeched from somewhere else.

These are bathroom vents for a single family home.

You get the ideal.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

there wolf posted:

I don't know if interior design WTF qualifies as crappy construction, but anything to get away from T.V. talk.

Fell free to speculate about the weird copy/paste nature of everything in the foreground.

Pretty much everything here is copy/paste. Examples: shadows on chair legs point in different directions. Light from windows doesn't match either EV or color temps. Faucet doesn't let out over a sink.

OTOH it looks pretty much exactly what my sister-in-law would use Photoshop for if she ever learned how to use it. It's pretty damned close to her "perfect" kitchen.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

rndmnmbr posted:

Pretty much everything here is copy/paste. Examples: shadows on chair legs point in different directions. Light from windows doesn't match either EV or color temps. Faucet doesn't let out over a sink.

OTOH it looks pretty much exactly what my sister-in-law would use Photoshop for if she ever learned how to use it. It's pretty damned close to her "perfect" kitchen.

I'm shocked that the clickbate design site this originally came from would engage in such dishonesty...

I'm actually shocked that your sister's perfect kitchen is 75% old bait shack.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Y'know, over ten years ago I went to a tech show and saw a prototype display that used an array of independently-controlled lights for the backlight instead of having a single global brightness setting. Even with the relatively crude backlight grid in the demo (which only had a couple dozen lights for a standard computer screen, if I recall correctly) it made a huge difference in the achievable contrast compared to the standard "monolithic" backlight system. It just looked miles better. Sure it's a bit more complicated to manufacture, but you'd think this kind of thing would be available in at least some consumer-grade products.

AMOLED would like to speak with you.

Granted, AMOLED costs a lot more than LCD, but it's been available on a lot of higher end phones for awhile.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Friend found this when he was renovating a 1st floor bathroom/laundry room. Fortunately, it was on the laundry line.

I've never seen an air gap drain like this before. Not sure I want to see one again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Does it serve as a vent and drain?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I don't know why I keep going on Imgur.

Nursery for Mistake Babby

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

kelvron posted:

I've never seen an air gap drain like this before. Not sure I want to see one again.

Looks like there should be a ping pong ball balancing above it on a column of air.

then again i think that about tru-gap airgap fixtures too

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Russia

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NancyPants posted:

I don't know why I keep going on Imgur.

Nursery for Mistake Babby

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Does it serve as a vent and drain?

Yeah. But it's failure mode is backing up into the crawlspace. A perfect example of something that meats requirements, but only for a certain set of requirements.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kelvron posted:

something that meats requirements
This should be a phrase. Butchering requirements while also technically satisfying them.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That open drain is a requirement for AC condensation setup in my neck of the woods. In case of backup, it overflows, instead of going into the unit. There is nothing wrong with that setup if used for something other than gray(sewage)-water.

The imgur wainscoting bedroom is pretty sad, but will look fine to most people. Even after every joint will crack. And they will, in about 1-3 months. At least they used oil primer so it's not going to turn piss-yellow.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Did he route that by hand with a stepped drill bit?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nitrox posted:

That open drain is a requirement for AC condensation setup in my neck of the woods. In case of backup, it overflows, instead of going into the unit. There is nothing wrong with that setup if used for something other than gray(sewage)-water.

The imgur wainscoting bedroom is pretty sad, but will look fine to most people. Even after every joint will crack. And they will, in about 1-3 months. At least they used oil primer so it's not going to turn piss-yellow.

I thought sewage was black, and grey was water from condensate, laundry, or sinks before it hit the sewage pipe.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

I think he decided to wait to route all the wood until it was already on the wall. which is why it looks like junk around corners and where it hits the door molding.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nm posted:

I've got a Mitsubishi 50" plasma in my office. It's just over 100 lbs and old as poo poo (first or second gen). It's a great tv that was given to me in exchange for mounting my buddy's 60-something inch replacement - this one still look way better but has a tendency to burn in pretty bad when you leave something on the screen. It goes away quickly enough so I'm not too bothered by it.

The most expensive part was buying an articulating wall mount that would actually support a TV that heavy. Fortunately I knew exactly where to mount it since I built this office - it's lag bolted into a structural 4x4 (pole construction) as well as to a couple of (non-structural installed to hang drywall on) studs on each side.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

kid sinister posted:

Given the lack of burning I'd guess a gouge actually.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Air gaps like that are pretty common and in some states required by health code in commercial kitchens. Although they are larger in diameter.
The big fun of it is scrubbing all the collected kitchen gook off of the inside of the drain.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kid sinister posted:

I think that he took a beaver, held it on its side, and let it gnaw away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nitrox posted:

I'm dumb so please explain to me why the joints will crack? I thought that was posted here due to the electrical outlets without covers and the lovely routing.