Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm dumb so please explain to me why the joints will crack? I thought that was posted here due to the electrical outlets without covers and the lovely routing.

It was posted because it's loving trash all around, those were just specific examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The electrical outlet has covers now but that really wont help that it's held on only with one screw.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm dumb so please explain to me why the joints will crack? I thought that was posted here due to the electrical outlets without covers and the lovely routing.

Various parts of houses move in different directions for various reasons, not the least of which are expansion and contraction due to heat. This is something you build for (if you're not an idiot).

For example: if you tile bathroom walls you grout the joints of the tile EXCEPT FOR THE CORNERS. You use flexible caulk there. Because if you don't there will be cracks in it inside of a year, often very much sooner.

What he did there was put a bunch of way-too-brittle poo poo in places that will flex. Typically you would either make it fit properly and paint over it or.....if you're like me....make it close enough and then caulk the (very small) gaps before paint. (some caulk and paint makes a carpenter who ain't)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Also the outlet doesn't have a box behind it (at least not as far as I could tell), which makes it a fire hazard because you've got conductors joining together right there in the wall.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

New McMansion Hell

Can you even grow anything in that steep patch of mulch there?

this house has gone beyond McMansion and into some weird house-performance art installation

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Motronic posted:

Various parts of houses move in different directions for various reasons, not the least of which are expansion and contraction due to heat. This is something you build for (if you're not an idiot).

For example: if you tile bathroom walls you grout the joints of the tile EXCEPT FOR THE CORNERS. You use flexible caulk there. Because if you don't there will be cracks in it inside of a year, often very much sooner.

What he did there was put a bunch of way-too-brittle poo poo in places that will flex. Typically you would either make it fit properly and paint over it or.....if you're like me....make it close enough and then caulk the (very small) gaps before paint. (some caulk and paint makes a carpenter who ain't)

Any reason you wouldn't use silicone for everything between tiles?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

this house has gone beyond McMansion and into some weird house-performance art installation

I wonder if in a hundred years people will look at these tacky monstrosities and consider them classics and good?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

I wonder if in a hundred years people will look at these tacky monstrosities and consider them classics and good?

A hallmark of those things is cheap corner-cutting construction, with bad water shedding, ridiculously expensive to replace roofing, cheap fake materials, etc.

In a hundres years they'll all be gone. Either torn down due to being dilapidated eyesores on otherwise valuable land, or due to the inevitable abandonment of suburban sprawl, which is simply an unsustainable drain on infrastructure.

I suppose a few must survive. Perhaps they'll be historical curiosities.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

That assumes that the poor workmanship that went into them will actually allow them to last anywhere near that long.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Any reason you wouldn't use silicone for everything between tiles?

Like instead of grout? Basically because it's not as resistant to things that happen to tile, and it would also be hellaciously more labor intensive to apply well in bulk like that.

You install grout basically in bulk. You have to tape lines off and carefully apply caulk (silicone or vinyl/whatever) to make it look right.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

The siding is throwing me off; is this sink inside or outside? :psyduck:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Motronic posted:

Like instead of grout? Basically because it's not as resistant to things that happen to tile, and it would also be hellaciously more labor intensive to apply well in bulk like that.

You install grout basically in bulk. You have to tape lines off and carefully apply caulk (silicone or vinyl/whatever) to make it look right.
Before installing your tile, you apply blue tape or maybe a roll of adhesive carpet shield to your tiles. Then, instead of cement/mastic you lay down a thick bed of silicon to your subfloor. Press the tiles into it, then use a float to even out the silicon that has squeezed out around the tiles. Remove the blue tape/carpet shield, voila. Silicon grout.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xergm posted:

It's Russia, so both?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Indolent Bastard posted:

That assumes that the poor workmanship that went into them will actually allow them to last anywhere near that long.

Precisely. If you’re not Frank Lloyd Wright, people won’t spend $12 M fixing your poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

xergm posted:

Insiding! :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Before installing your tile, you apply blue tape or maybe a roll of adhesive carpet shield to your tiles. Then, instead of cement/mastic you lay down a thick bed of silicon to your subfloor. Press the tiles into it, then use a float to even out the silicon that has squeezed out around the tiles. Remove the blue tape/carpet shield, voila. Silicon grout.

You must work for a mcmansion developer, because that is a brilliantly bad idea.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xergm posted:

Schrodinger's Sink

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Motronic posted:

You must work for a mcmansion developer, because that is a brilliantly bad idea.

Quoted comedy aside, rubberized grout is readily available and is really good. It's terrible to work with, but requires no sealant and has some flex to it. Also sets in like 10 min, but doesn't dry in like 24 hours. I've used it in small areas, like shower beds and such.

What others said, basically. Every surface you attach to, will move at different pace, so it's very important to make your joints flexible, and your surfaces as seamless as possible. When you have seams, that are subject to outside forces, you try to join that material as solidly as possible. They just butted pieces against each other and used wood putty (rigid compound) to cover up transitions. Every one of those will crack, just from relative humidity in the air.

Here is an explanation with example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxuru_I_9NA

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 17, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Motronic posted:

I wonder how much it would cost to use silicone caulking instead of tile glue on an entire floor.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder how much it would cost to use silicone caulking instead of tile glue on an entire floor.

I wonder how much it would cost to make a house-shaped object entirely out of silicone caulk. Maybe with strategic reinforcement from the shittiest 2x4s you can find.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I wonder how much it would cost to make a house-shaped object entirely out of silicone caulk. Maybe with strategic reinforcement from the shittiest 2x4s you can find.

2x4s are expensive. 1x2s are cheaper. Just caulk some 1x2s together to make gluelam 2x4s.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

I suppose a few must survive. Perhaps they'll be historical curiosities.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folly

quote:

[including] buildings that were thought unduly large or expensive, such as Beckford's Folly, an extremely expensive early Gothic Revival country house that collapsed under the weight of its tower in 1825, 12 years after completion.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 17, 2016

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

NancyPants posted:

I don't know why I keep going on Imgur.

Nursery for Mistake Babby

Maybe you're being too harsh. I mean, a bunch of dipshits on a site upvoted the terrible ideas so they must be good. I love how he didn't even try to measure it in a way that the outlet would be in the middle of one of those frames

hahaha "I want to create a fiery deathtrap for my newborn too someday":

quote:

For the longest time I didn't want kids. But I've seen a couple of posts like this recently and drat. I want to be a dad.

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 17, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

I don't know if interior design WTF qualifies as crappy construction, but anything to get away from T.V. talk.

Fell free to speculate about the weird copy/paste nature of everything in the foreground.

I'm getting splinters just by looking at this.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

HardDiskD posted:

I'm getting splinters just by looking at this.

I'm loving how there's a dishwasher but no stove (a camping propane cooktop is not a stove), and a faucet but no sink.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Youth Decay posted:

Can you even grow anything in that steep patch of mulch there?

Yup. You'd be surprised how resilient nature is. A tree can grow in a cliff face if it has just a crack to put down roots in and the occasional rain. Still, you got the right idea: flatter land = less erosion = more time for plants to put down roots to hold the dirt in place = more pretty plants where you want them. Bigger plants with more roots like trees and bushes tend to do best on severe slopes. If you're trying to grow only plants from seed on a slope that steep, forget it. One good rain and your seeds will now be at the bottom of the slope.

You're assuming those buildings will be standing in a hundred years. They're called "McMansions" for a reason. Hell, that's the reason for the phrase "they don't build them like they used to": all the cheap, shoddily built crap from that time already fell down years ago and only the well built buildings from then still remain.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 17, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bonster posted:

I'm loving how there's a dishwasher but no stove (a camping propane cooktop is not a stove), and a faucet but no sink.

I assume that white out of place appliance is the fridge.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

there wolf posted:

I don't know if interior design WTF qualifies as crappy construction, but anything to get away from T.V. talk.

Honestly I can live with the 'unfinished wood indoors recalls the feeling of the lovely overnight rental cabins just across the state line that your family used to do weekends in when you were a kid' aesthetic, but I really feel like that wall is angrily shouting at me every time I look at the picture.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

2x4s are expensive. 1x2s are cheaper. Just caulk some 1x2s together to make gluelam 2x4s.

Going to need a few 400# blocks of concrete for a foundation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Add some dye to the silicone caulk and you can make your new house look like a jello salad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Remember that I posted a little while back about possible moisture in the walls?

:negative:

At least the building manager's assessed it and located the leak (blocked drainpipe on the unit above's balcony) and will be arranging repairs. :sigh:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

As other posters have said. :lol: at the thought of any of these pieces of poo poo surviving a hundred years without someone literally rebuilding it around the thirty year mark. Secondly, the reason why you look at old houses and they still look good is because they also looked good when they were built a century/two centuries ago. These loving architectural monstrosities looked ugly and beige when they were built, they're going to look ugly and a weird shade of off-brown when they finally are demolished.

We've got kind of an odd selection bias in that most of the old track homes that were built to house the vets of WW1/WW2 have been replaced or collapsed under the weight of their own shoddy workmanship, so only the good examples survive because all of the cheap poo poo was long ago replaced by newer cheap poo poo.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Motronic posted:

...OHHHH. That explains the corners in our bathroom that we did at move in. It is me. I am the content in this thread.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

A White Guy posted:

We've got kind of an odd selection bias in that most of the old track homes that were built to house the vets of WW1/WW2 have been replaced or collapsed under the weight of their own shoddy workmanship, so only the good examples survive because all of the cheap poo poo was long ago replaced by newer cheap poo poo.

I live in a suburb of like 500 identical houses dating from the 50's, and they're almost all in great shape. The exceptions are people who didn't keep up on maintenance, of course.

I wouldn't say they're nice houses (see also: 500 identical copies) but they provide a valuable inventory of "starter homes" for new families.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The houses in the 50's were built like absolute garbage so all the "hurt, these new homes all gonna fall down!" is pure bullshit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FCKGW posted:

The houses in the 50's were built like absolute garbage so all the "hurt, these new homes all gonna fall down!" is pure bullshit.

All the 50's houses where I live are solid as gently caress little bungalows. Thick walls, nice cove ceilings, everything super solid. They're ugly but they've outlasted all the 60's and 70's and even 80's houses in a lot of cases. Usually a smaller house is a tear-down, but that era was generally so well built people do additions on them instead. When someone buys a similar sized house on a similar lot from the 60's or 70's it's tear down almost every time. They're so solid even if someone wants to build a whole new house, people come with a huge flat bed and haul the house away to be re-used.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I lived in a house that was built in the 50s. No wait, it was poured in the fifties. A pair of semi-detached 2 bed houses poured out of crappy concrete in a single piece. They'll still be standing in a hundred years for all the wrong reasons and I pity the post-apocalyptic caveman who has to heat it and hang anything on the walls.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

sidewalk gum posted:

I lived in a house that was built in the 50s. No wait, it was poured in the fifties. A pair of semi-detached 2 bed houses poured out of crappy concrete in a single piece. They'll still be standing in a hundred years for all the wrong reasons and I pity the post-apocalyptic caveman who has to heat it and hang anything on the walls.

That sounds bad rear end. Pix?

Also, I too lived in a row house as my first purchase. We fixed it up nice and it had cool hardwood floors under the avocado shag carpet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I remember someone linking an old insurance brochure from around then. The brochure wasn't so much telling you why you should use their brand of insulation, as trying to convince you that when building a new home spending money on insulation at all was a good idea. It'll pay for itself in energy savings in just 15 years! or some such. I guess before the 70s energy crisis home insulation was an optional luxury or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My 1958 california house is solid. It is under-insulated, but the general construction is well done. It's very simple, just a rectangle with a garage attached, on a rectangular plot. This development was in a working class area where blue collar workers and military folks moved in to work at nearby refineries and the naval weapons station.

I'm sure there were plenty of garbage houses built in the 50s. There have always been garbage houses built, because there are always poor people and low-rent builders to cater to them who cut corners on whatever the current standards might be. But there were also good houses built in the 50s, plenty of them.

e. Yeah especially in milder climates, the idea that you'd keep the inside of your home at a constant temperature year-round was not ingrained. My house has little or no insulation in the walls, but it does have a fireplace like every single other house of its era. When it's cold out, you hang around in the living room with a fire, and when you go to bed, you wear warm stuff and just deal. When it's hot, you... well, you get hot. Turn on a fan, have a cold drink from your ice box, and deal.

Synthetic insulation was a big innovation. Before that, you had all kinds of crappy natural materials used as insulation that didn't do a good job and tended to break down. Horse hair, old newspaper, wool, poo poo like that. You could build thick masonry walls, but in California they had figured out by the early 1900s that masonry was a death trap in earthquake country, so we just got a half century or more of stick-built houses with open air spaces in the walls.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 18, 2016