Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Eezee posted:

MJ is the best so far. Definitely helps that she's the only one whose name I can remember for the first few episodes.

I'unno, I think Oliver, Pharoh and Macho are all really easy to remember as well. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Dragonatrix posted:

I'unno, I think Oliver, Pharoh and Macho are all really easy to remember as well. :v:

Yeah Pharoh is unusual enough that I remembered, plus he got a lot of airtime. Also Asol stood out too.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Zythrst posted:

Yeah Pharoh is unusual enough that I remembered, plus he got a lot of airtime. Also Asol stood out too.

y'all aren't even mentioning Sangguk... or Hwang Insun who is just way too chipper.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Zythrst posted:

Yeah Pharoh is unusual enough that I remembered, plus he got a lot of airtime.

Yeah, but his ult sucks.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
MJ is cool. Judging from the next episode preview, she should also have a pretty big role!

They should have let her challenge more people, or at least protect the king more. I'm sad all the hyping they did throughout the episode didn't pan out with her wrecking everyone, but it was satisfying when she did! And it's made me root for her way more than the other candidates, so there's that. :v:

I'm sad that Taejin got eliminated though. :( She was seriously showing some potential, and it sucks that because of circumstances she couldn't do anything. Should have gotten rid of Oliver or Macho. On the other hand, Sangguk did surprisingly well as a leader. One of the highlights included the cooling fridge and the other construction things. I think he's used to the whole outdoors thing due to all the comedy/variety programs he does...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It was super crazy that the overthrown leader gave a key to someone from the other "side" of the town. Also in the other town it was super crazy that guy Oliver was aggressively pushing for the current leader to go out while the current leader still has unilateral power to decide who is eliminated. Like that is just piss poor play, maybe start laying the groundwork for who the next leader should be but don't talk openly about taking out a guy who can send you home right there.

Good question to ponder is whether the leader hosed up by not taking out Oliver. I think it's likely, although maybe Pharaoh just has a good performance in the next challenge and people forget about booting him. And maybe if he would've taken out Oliver there would've been a huge backlash. But I think he probably should've done it, that dude is openly a schemer and really only seems to have one tight guy, I'm sure Pharaoh could have explained it.

Definitely too many people for me to remember and track so far

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 23, 2016

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I think I can at least differentiate all of the men now, and some of the more idiosyncratic women like Insun, MJ, the 29-year-old from Madong, and Jiwon. But then there's a homogeneous clump of pretty twenty-somethings I have no clue on, including The two women from Madong who won their respective preliminary games.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Now that the thread is lively again, is there an active mirror of I live Alone with Jinho or the thingy where Jinho, Gura, and Sangmin drove around in a van?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Chainsawdomy posted:

I think I can at least differentiate all of the men now, and some of the more idiosyncratic women like Insun, MJ, the 29-year-old from Madong, and Jiwon. But then there's a homogeneous clump of pretty twenty-somethings I have no clue on, including The two women from Madong who won their respective preliminary games.

http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/150774835463/society-game-contestants

Seolhwa beat everyone including MJ in the physical test but is so tiny she won't win any confrontation contests. If they do stuff like climbing she'll probably wreck everyone. Seohyun crushed the memory game which may be because she studies music.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I think she mostly beat them because of her technique. She granted a lot more of the bags than the other people and completed the challenge in 2 trips.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

uhm she's also miss muscle mania miss bikini grand prix winner 2016 so shes got some muscles to back up that technique

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I see they have someone from Road FC cast in The Society Game, hope they cast Doo Ho Choi in something because he looks like a KPop star and hits like a truck

"Okay so the deathmatches I'd like to eliminate are Hyap Gul, Monorail, and the cage match"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Macho Yoon sounds like a Crime Scene character's name

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

Macho Yoon sounds like a Crime Scene character's name

lol

Speaking of, I picked Crime Scene back up today too. I just watched the prison murder from season one and I really like Jinho and Ji-Yoon. They're both always right and I love their interactions, the interrogation between them in this episode was great.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Fast Luck posted:

It was super crazy that the overthrown leader gave a key to someone from the other "side" of the town.

It's kind of silly how they already started the intrigues before the main game. Madong's overthrown leader is clearly a power game player but I guess he really sucks at the social aspect.

Oh yeah, he also drank that disgusting poo poo, what a dumbass lol

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Symbolic Butt posted:

It's kind of silly how they already started the intrigues before the main game. Madong's overthrown leader is clearly a power game player but I guess he really sucks at the social aspect.

Eh I'd have done it if I had a good plan that needed me to be leader. We eat insects all the time honestly

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Why did they pixellate that dude's armpits? :psyduck:

It was a joke. He just mentioned the hottest day and he gets to sleep in AC. His pits are too obscene for TV.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So...we're all on MJ's team, right? I'm also partial to Hyunmin-she because I love Hyunmin and people that defy stupid age-based custom BS.

Society Game is pretty good. Like, it's not The Genius, it's a bit more on the regular reality show side, but it being more condensed and still really about games makes it worth watching for me. There's more of a cast too, and the dynamics in both villages are fun to watch - it's a small social game constantly happening, and you can't just solo it. I like how both physical presences already made themselves noticed - both Asol and MJ got their time in the spotlight. I also like how that doesn't really mean much overall, so it's not just gonna be a tough guy survival thing. Asol seems to be really into the social game too, I wanna see what the strong dude can do when he can actually talk people into stuff.

It's gonna be a while before I can keep track of everyone tho. I have the leaders down, MJ, Asol, Hyunmin-she, the deposed leader, the model guys and that's about it, really.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm a bit disappointed at the meta-game design:

Madong has an utterly game breaking Nash equilibrium because the number of keys of Rebellion plus the leader equals the number of people who go into the finals. Form a minority alliance of 3, one becomes leader, divide all winnings equally among the 3. No one ever has any incentive to betray because no one else outside the minority alliance of 3 can ever become the leader, profits are split equally, getting to the final round is guaranteed because there are 3 spots, and all the winnings get to the final round for the eventual winner because the minority alliance of 3 only ever rewards itself.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I CANNOT believe the player who was eliminated. Completely blown away by such a cowardly move. The show even called him out for it at the very end

I cant believe Insun was being thrown around as elimination candidate either, but I think thats just because I fell in love with her. The gameleader for Democracy village was fun as hell too, and I hope we see more of her, her little snipes during the game were hilarious.

Aside from Asol and the Tyrant village leader none of the men really left much of an impression on me.

Arcanen posted:

Madong has an utterly game breaking Nash equilibrium because the number of keys of Rebellion plus the leader equals the number of people who go into the finals. Form a minority alliance of 3, one becomes leader, divide all winnings equally among the 3. No one ever has any incentive to betray because no one else outside the minority alliance of 3 can ever become the leader, profits are split equally, getting to the final round is guaranteed because there are 3 spots, and all the winnings get to the final round for the eventual winner because the minority alliance of 3 only ever rewards itself.

I think thats on purpose.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I expect there to be a society mix-up at some point, especially if 3 people get Madong on lockdown, just to prevent exactly that.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was just watching a couple of Crime Scene episodes. Why do they even bother taking those laughably bad photos? I don't think I've ever seen one of those polaroids that wasn't a complete unfocused, blurry, illegible mess.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arcanen posted:

Yeah but at that point the minions have zero incentive to play well in the games - and in fact, every incentive to throw them to the other team out of spite.

So you're gauranteed to get to the finals with nothing.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I assume that if they all refused to do it, whoever organized the group refusal would have been crowned leader. Seems like the type of poo poo they'd take into account.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Yeah but at that point the minions have zero incentive to play well in the games - and in fact, every incentive to throw them to the other team out of spite.

So you're gauranteed to get to the finals with nothing.

Yeah, assuming Madong Minions realise this around next game or so, Sangguk, Seolhwa and Asol get to the finals with a whopping 2k, divided among Seolhwa and Asol.

Also this is basically Madong Minions' strength in negotiation. They can go to one of Asol or Seolhwa and go "Yo, overthrow Sangguk and we make YOU the leader and we will start trying to win games".

because yeah, sure, they can just key themselves, go ahead for the finals with no incentive to give any winnings to people not in the inner circle - but those winnings will be zero because you can't win the game without madong minions

Exercu fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 24, 2016

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I found the show to be way more The Genius-ish than I expected. The chess with floors (and the neat king lockup Madong achieved), those quick IQ questions that made me pause to solve every time, the game theory questions that arise from the reward division (trying to maximize the reward always feel to me like an obvious trap) and the main game mechanics in general... Heck, even the physical games were more strategical than they look...

and by the way I'm reporting anyone on this thread who declare themselves to not be on MJ team :colbert:

PS: forgot the cold water hack

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Team MJ, for sure.

Can we get a gang tag? There's no way that that's premature.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I was sad to see Taejin leave. Who can resist the tears of an attractive lady? I honestly thought Oliver was going to get thrown - after all, it's his mission to get rid of Pharoh in the next round, and he knew about this.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

Really enjoyed this. I hope they reveal the voice to be Bandage Man.

I can see the societies being mixed up later on due to the inevitable power alliances that are already starting to form. Sangguk mentioning at the end that he realizes he needs strong game players on his side is most likely some nice foreshadowing of betrayals starting to happen soon.

Oliver seems like a fool and is playing his hand too early.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

MJ is def the best one ep in. I was rooting for team democracy. Team fash makes me think of the s2 broadcaster alliance.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I never get the guys going for blatant power plays at the start of these games, it's a one-way road to getting targeted and betrayed even if they don't work. Just play conservatively and make some friends, learn something from Dongmin.

Also rooted for team democracy this first episode. Mostly because I wanted to see MJ beasting on folks and Sangguk's perfect strategy get foiled somehow - Rule 63 Hyunmin (god, I need to go back and learn her name) actually tried something to that effect by going straight for Asol and mixing up their kings, but individual play screwed everything up. Also, kind of a misplay to have someone training ring tossing and not using her to push the flanks instead of getting involved in the lockdown. Maybe they wanted to use her to break thru? Then it was kind of a dick move to get rid of the girl even though she had no chance of doing anything.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I hope they bring back Extreme Ways for some amazing reveal or betrayal. Meanwhile this was my favourite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFCovx8oCT4

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Dias posted:

I never get the guys going for blatant power plays at the start of these games, it's a one-way road to getting targeted and betrayed even if they don't work. Just play conservatively and make some friends, learn something from Dongmin.

Also rooted for team democracy this first episode. Mostly because I wanted to see MJ beasting on folks and Sangguk's perfect strategy get foiled somehow - Rule 63 Hyunmin (god, I need to go back and learn her name) actually tried something to that effect by going straight for Asol and mixing up their kings, but individual play screwed everything up. Also, kind of a misplay to have someone training ring tossing and not using her to push the flanks instead of getting involved in the lockdown. Maybe they wanted to use her to break thru? Then it was kind of a dick move to get rid of the girl even though she had no chance of doing anything.

Sangguk's perfect strategy was honestly pretty dumb. The game can end in two ways, either with the king being taken or with the king moving to the end-zone. But the way Sangguk's perfect strategy works, he can't move the king to the end-zone, because that gets obvious. So he had to rely on the seven non-top-floor pieces being "better" than the opponent's ten bottom floor pieces. Had Jaehyuk been a tiny bit better at the physical challenge (OR HAD THEY SENT MJ), Nopdong would have taken the win because Sangguk's four pieces couldn't get down to protect the end-zone.

edit: AND if you lose any of the battles on the top, you're in grave danger.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 24, 2016

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Yeah, I feel like Jiwon was actually playing the framing game better than Madong was, but they were done in by the one-on-one challenges. I think she's someone to watch, especially if she and MJ team up.

Sexism seems to be more pronounced here than on the Genius or Crime Scene, and I don't think anything would make me angrier than the Napdong guys getting spooked and railroading their strong women players off the show.

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 24, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah MJ is an MMA fighter and they're all seriously like "Hmm I don't think a girl could do the physical challenge." She's an MMA fighter! She can kick dudes' asses! (That said she actually was getting pushed around pretty good before that very nifty move with her foot, of course that could have been deliberate)

It's sexist from the beginning though, like Korean producers don't think you can even cast equal numbers of men and women.

Also I agree with Exercu, taking the top level was a neat idea but it took a bunch of their own pieces off the board and only blocked one of two win conditions (and they only were able to secure the top level by winning a bunch of face offs in the first place).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Even in The Genius strong women like Kyungran tended to look for guys to team up with even though they are rad by themselves.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
MJ fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuxBV5-qotk she loses the fight

Again with the tattoos covered, does she have I Love North Korea there or something ?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

tattoos always get covered up, just look at gary and his forever bandages/long sleeve on one side

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

EmmyOk posted:

Even in The Genius strong women like Kyungran tended to look for guys to team up with even though they are rad by themselves.

Well in The Genius Kyungran was the only woman who was also a good player so the sample size is a little small. Most of them just wander to the closest guy moaning "Opppaaaaaaa". Which is fine when its Ahyoung and Dongmin but its annoying with everyone else :P

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

Well in The Genius Kyungran was the only woman who was also a good player so the sample size is a little small. Most of them just wander to the closest guy moaning "Opppaaaaaaa". Which is fine when its Ahyoung and Dongmin but its annoying with everyone else :P

Jungmoon, Yoonsun, and the girl who lost to Dongmin in Monorail are also clearly smart people who did exactly that! Kyungran did plenty of "Oppaaaaaaaa"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Jungmoon, Yoonsun, and the girl who lost to Dongmin in Monorail are also clearly smart people who did exactly that! Kyungran did plenty of "Oppaaaaaaaa"

S1's Eunji also wasn't too shabby.