Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If you didn't own a VFR I'd have suggested a VFR. Have you considered a newer VFR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

clutchpuck posted:

Had I $10k to blow on a bike and I already had a luggage-capable distance mount, I'd be looking pretty hard at KTM SM something. 690 SMC or a 990 SMR unicorn.

Twin engines tho

Came here to say basically this. All of your specifications point towards a fast supermoto, and I think it would balance out the VFR perfectly.The 690 SMC is incredible, and the 990 SMR is bonkers and may be too much for your needs. Vtwin is nice, but thumper is life.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
FZ1 should be way, way under that $10K price range. For some reason resale on them is complete poo poo, you can find barely used Gen2 examples for less than $5K all damned day.

I'm looking at selling mine now that I've sold my SMC and upgrading to something like a Multistrada, but I'm too goddamned lazy to list it and all of the upgrade parts I have for it and then deal with tire kickers and lowballers for months on end

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yup, they are a total steal of a deal if you want something like that. I just think they are... not really special? I think most of the R1 stuff bolts right on, which is pretty cool if you want a naked superbike.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Yup, they are a total steal of a deal if you want something like that. I just think they are... not really special? I think most of the R1 stuff bolts right on, which is pretty cool if you want a naked superbike.

pretty much. I have an R1 front end swap that I've yet to put on (the forks are 10mm shorter than stock, so I've been using that as an excuse to send them off to Traxxion for AK-20s and a spacer, but again, lazy). I really need to go put a post together on FZ1OA and unload some of this poo poo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jazzzzz posted:

pretty much. I have an R1 front end swap that I've yet to put on (the forks are 10mm shorter than stock, so I've been using that as an excuse to send them off to Traxxion for AK-20s and a spacer, but again, lazy). I really need to go put a post together on FZ1OA and unload some of this poo poo

Post a link to it when you do :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, and here, have a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpFIj104pXo

Tommy was on a bone stock 2nd gen (other than a slipon) and Dunlop Q2s.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Came here to say basically this. All of your specifications point towards a fast supermoto, and I think it would balance out the VFR perfectly.The 690 SMC is incredible, and the 990 SMR is bonkers and may be too much for your needs. Vtwin is nice, but thumper is life.

Echoing this. See if you can sit on a 990 SMT / SMR. Mine was $10k out the door; you can do better easily. It's not suuuuper skinny but I lane split pretty frequently with the soft luggage on. I don't know why you don't like V-twins though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Revvik posted:

I don't know why you don't like V-twins though.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Who said anything about not liking v-twins?! Don't put my name to that blasphemy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Monkey Wrangler said that. I'd guess it's because he hasn't really ridden a performance twin :)

I never liked twins until I rode my 749, the Tuonos moved me even further in to twin love, and the R6 reinforced that I now prefer twins.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 25, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Monkey Wrangler said that. I'd guess it's because he hasn't really ridden a performance twin :)

I never liked twins until I rode my 749, the Tuonos moved me even further in to twin love, and the R6 reinforced that I now prefer twins.

First twin I rode was an SV650 and that got me real good. Then I rode an RC51 and I realised they're probably the best configuration. Probably.*

*:gently caress off parallel twins you'll never stop being lame

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Actually, the twin engine I spent the most time on was a parallel twin. It just felt inert.

Are the SMCs comfortable? I always was under the assumption they were super bare bones and rode more like dirt bikes.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Actually, the twin engine I spent the most time on was a parallel twin. It just felt inert.

Are the SMCs comfortable? I always was under the assumption they were super bare bones and rode more like dirt bikes.

Just stand the whole time

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Monkey Wrangler posted:

smh comparing v twins to p twins

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Inline fours are the worst because they are twin twins, and twins are bad. Thumpers win by default, since they are half as bad as a twin, and thus the least bad.

Real talk, the SMC is super comfy, as long as you drop $185 for the seat concepts super comfy seat. My riding buddy all weekend was on the stock seat, though, and he never complained. I never got a chance to swap seats with him, to see what it was like.

Other than that, upright seating position, long travel suspension for extra comfort, comfortable peg distance (even if you have very long legs), sportbike rubber for ride comfort and safety. It's not a goldwing, but the sumos I've ridden have all been very comfortable.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Inline fours are the worst because they are twin twins, and twins are bad. Thumpers win by default, since they are half as bad as a twin, and thus the least bad.

Real talk, the SMC is super comfy, as long as you drop $185 for the seat concepts super comfy seat. My riding buddy all weekend was on the stock seat, though, and he never complained. I never got a chance to swap seats with him, to see what it was like.

Other than that, upright seating position, long travel suspension for extra comfort, comfortable peg distance (even if you have very long legs), sportbike rubber for ride comfort and safety. It's not a goldwing, but the sumos I've ridden have all been very comfortable.

God's favorite engine configuration

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 25, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

God's favorite engine configuration

Broken img, must be Ducati

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Don't leave that image by the side of the road, chiche.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
How weird, it had been working for me. Fixed now.

Coydog posted:

Don't leave that image by the side of the road, chiche.

I didn't. Someone just gave me 3 grand for it and all it costs is a bump in insurance prices for the rest of you.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Been looking at the SMC 690 now. Haven't seen much available at dealers or on Craigslist. Are they particularly rare in the States or something?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Been looking at the SMC 690 now. Haven't seen much available at dealers or on Craigslist. Are they particularly rare in the States or something?

As hen's teeth, for good reason. Check ADVrider classifieds, and use searchtempest to search craigslist better. I'll sell you mine for 10k, though. :D

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Everyone who has one, keeps it. A sign of a good bike.

And yeah just stand up until you upgrade the seat if it isn't comfortable.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Cool, I'll keep looking around. That and for Striple Rs.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Caveat: Owning a 690 SMC makes you feel like your license is on borrowed time.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
guyz: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/5844810690.html

Is there some likely hidden badness there?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'd be worried about frame damage/swingarm depending on what other parts of the bike hit this wall

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Why in gods name to DRZ's hold so much more value over the WRx?! There are a billion of them, and they all seem ratted up. Some guy locally is selling an 07 for 5500, which is lunacy, when the WRx in pristine condition can't command more than 3600.

That one looks worth 3300, or whatever. That pricy exhaust he mentions is all scraped and dented, and doesn't add value anyway. The miles are high. It looks like a genuine SM, from the forks, but why buy aftermarket sumo wheels for a genuine sm?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
why are they aftermarket? excels are stock drz wheels (and are also the best in the market, besides maybe well set up marchesinis)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The excels are stock?! I rarely see wheels with actual wheel branding on them, unless people get them for the conversion. And everyone does conversions with excels, so when I see excel I figure they bought them. Plus, he talks about what they are worth in the listing, and I think "why would you list stock equipment as a cost upgrade?".

I learned something today, thank you.

Still, don't pay 3800 for that drz. I'd want a pristine white with blue wheels, for that money. Especially in the cali market.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

The excels are stock?! I rarely see wheels with actual wheel branding on them, unless people get them for the conversion. And everyone does conversions with excels, so when I see excel I figure they bought them. Plus, he talks about what they are worth in the listing, and I think "why would you list stock equipment as a cost upgrade?".

I learned something today, thank you.

Still, don't pay 3800 for that drz. I'd want a pristine white with blue wheels, for that money. Especially in the cali market.

the more i see listings from CA, the more i believe it's where cool bikes go to get beat on and die

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Do you think the wheels are just replacements for worn out ones?

I can't find much in Norcal that seems reasonable. Not just DRZs, but all low-displacement dualsports. Looking at other bikes is almost idle fancy, while I wait for a wild tdub to show up close to home.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
around here WR250Xs go for as much or more than DRZs depending on how much the PO spent pimping them out with anodized poo poo from Zeta, and they're a lot harder to find.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

carcinofuck posted:

Do you think the wheels are just replacements for worn out ones?

I can't find much in Norcal that seems reasonable. Not just DRZs, but all low-displacement dualsports. Looking at other bikes is almost idle fancy, while I wait for a wild tdub to show up close to home.

Motorcycle wheels don't need to be replaced basically ever unless you've really hosed up some poo poo. Also 14k miles isn't really "low mileage".

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Oops I conflated wheels with tires in my head. Gotcha.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Or if they have a fun manufacture defect rumored to be too much magnesium in the alu blend causing some rims to react to water/roadsalt/general grime if they get it into the raw metal below the paint. (see honda transalp gold rims from 88-96)

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

carcinofuck posted:

guyz: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/5844810690.html

Is there some likely hidden badness there?

I think it's a bit expensive for what it is. 14k miles isn't exactly low. The damaged plastics are more concerning because it shows some abuse. The plastics are less than $150 though, so it's not a huge deal.

For comparison, I paid $3,400 for a decently clean '06 with 10k miles on it and all of the farkles (3x3 airbox, jetted, full titanium exhaust, custom turn signals, KLX headlight). But I'm located in MN, so YMMV.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
I got another one:

How much should I offer for a '13 crf250l w 4k miles: https://chico.craigslist.org/mcy/5845558620.html

$3.5k?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Fishvilla posted:

I think it's a bit expensive for what it is. 14k miles isn't exactly low. The damaged plastics are more concerning because it shows some abuse. The plastics are less than $150 though, so it's not a huge deal.

For comparison, I paid $3,400 for a decently clean '06 with 10k miles on it and all of the farkles (3x3 airbox, jetted, full titanium exhaust, custom turn signals, KLX headlight). But I'm located in MN, so YMMV.

For comparison, I purchased my DRZ in California: $3500 for a DRZ400S (not even an SM!) that was from 2004 and had been abused about as much as CarcinoFuck's. The California used market is stupid as gently caress, especially when it comes to SuMos and dual-sports.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

carcinofuck posted:

I got another one:

How much should I offer for a '13 crf250l w 4k miles: https://chico.craigslist.org/mcy/5845558620.html

$3.5k?

3-3.5k is your target for that, nice bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Razzled posted:

3-3.5k is your target for that, nice bike

I find the amount I'm willing to spend is creeping upwards, yet for all the sumo recommendations I want this bike the most. Sounds like it does just fine on the highway, and if the seats a little bit high, I keep reading that it's got a low center of gravity. I know it's all conjecture until I get on one.

How much should I try talking this guy down? Bonus, lowering link already installed.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/5842880603.html