Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

It's a horse. Every heartbeat for a horse is a D&D dice roll of "roll 10 or higher to live" Then one morning it rolled a 5 and dropped dead in the feeding trough. Cause of death: Being a horse for an extended period of time.

Lol. Does anyone have those classic SA quotes about how stupid horses are?

"Poor Freckles, thought of ants and died."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ruddha posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that horses are stupider than poo poo and WILL kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions and adorn them in the right silly accessories so that they don't scare themselves and fall over dead, and even then at best you can reduce the chances that they will do that, but they're still absolutely going to. Women who are obsessed with horses are just as bad as ones who are obsessed with anything else, but it may be dumber because it's a placeholder for animalistic male sexuality; however, in reality, it doesn't hold up because dominant male sexual energy is incompatible with horse personality and tendencies because, again, they're absolutely going to kill themselves by accident, whereas studs and straight power tops are highly unlikely to catch their reflection in a mirror then break their leg and get eaten by a mountain lioness

Ruddha posted:

Of course, if you don't nail little metal rings onto them, they'll split open, and then they'll die.

Ruddha posted:

I personally guarantee you a dog will never in this life hear a bee then have a heart attack out of fear, dying.

Ruddha posted:

Babies grow up and that's okay, it's like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died.

Ruddha posted:

That's understandable, but in the scheme of things it's a fairly low chance. With horses, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. Saw water and passed away.

EDIT: Found in the "Funny" "Forums" "Quotes" thread.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 31, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Rutibex posted:

Now watch this slick move Pierre, I'm going to take you daughter from girlfriend to wife in one move. If you don't want to fool around with dating, and would like to have a wife tomorrow be sure to do this top-PUA maneuver. Give the flowers first, if she is not your girlfriend the hearts are wasted. Next I give her the golden pumpkin, her favorite thing in the world and top quality on her birthday. 8 stars become 10 :grin:

Give it to her man, give her the Golden Pumpkin. Make Pierre watch as you give his daughter the Golden Pumpkin. Make her call her father on the phone while you're giving her the Golden Pumpkin.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
is there a better tune in the game than "Cloth" in the mines? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJuWlK-yEs

I posit: no

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Poque posted:

is there a better tune in the game than "Cloth" in the mines? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJuWlK-yEs

When that theme started playing I thought I was about to discover the secret of Stardew Valley or something and we were about to get to some kind of end-game content.

The secret of Stardew Valley btw is that Yoba isn't a distant god but is a spirit passed from one generation to the next to whoever tills the soil on the farm. Your grandpa passed the spirit of Yoba onto you, and all your interactions with the citizens change the destinies of the Valley forever and through the butterfly effect make the world a better place.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

I think you will find that "The Lava Dwellers" and "Tropicala" are superior. But serioously though, the soundtrack for this game is amazing and I love every song (and often listen to them when I'm not playing, they are all very chill)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM_-jldP2Nwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7sDUAALYSM

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rutibex posted:

I think you will find that "The Lava Dwellers" and "Tropicala" are superior. But serioously though, the soundtrack for this game is amazing and I love every song (and often listen to them when I'm not playing, they are all very chill)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM_-jldP2Nwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7sDUAALYSM

if I'm going for a season theme, I prefer Raven's Descent in the fall, but fall is also my favorite season in-game and out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idOmc35hlhU

but for reals the whole soundtrack is so dang good.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Best song. I would also linked Shane's theme but I can't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0nqXeM-sns

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The soundtrack in general is amazing but pretty much anything in the spring takes the cake for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO9WXi9gxQg

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Poque posted:

In addition to tropicala and nature's crescendo, The Wind Can Be Still in winter is incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ezfsJ4-Lw

have a Nature's Crescendo guitar cover, it's good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zpA5UjCOg

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I find it astounding that the music, graphics, and code, everything for this game was done by a single man. Eric Barone must be some kind of genius polymath. Most indy teams could not produce something of this quality, and almost all one-man-show games have terrible graphics and/or music.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Rutibex posted:

I find it astounding that the music, graphics, and code, everything for this game was done by a single man. Eric Barone must be some kind of genius polymath. Most indy teams could not produce something of this quality, and almost all one-man-show games have terrible graphics and/or music.

Before the game came out, I couldn't believe a guy spent 4 years making a farm game. Then 90 hours in, I can't believe he only spent 4 years making this game.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

MorgaineDax posted:

Before the game came out, I couldn't believe a guy spent 4 years making a farm game. Then 90 hours in, I can't believe he only spent 4 years making this game.

I thought it was closer to 10 years

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Rutibex posted:

See: Cave Story, La Mulana, and the entire Touhou Series.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I'm still a bit disappointed that Plum didn't make the cut for Autumn music, but what we got anyway is great so whatever.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I guess I'll be nice to Pierre. He has a hard life.

Oh, how nice, that got me over 5,000 gold. What could I possibly do with that?

gently caress PIERRE FOREVER

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I don't think of Pierre as a bad man, no. I don't get all the hatred for him. What I do feel for him...is pity. His daughter isn't his own, his store will undoubtedly be out of business soon, he never gets to go outside...and he's so, so weird.

He requested that I bring some sashmi, that he'd pay top dollar for it:

:stare:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I too almost fell into the trap of feeling bad for Pierre on account of Joja driving him out of business. Then I realized that the only reason Pierre hates Joja is jealousy: they're doing exactly what he would do if he had the power.

gently caress Pierre sideways with a poleaxe.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't think of Pierre as a bad man, no. I don't get all the hatred for him. What I do feel for him...is pity. His daughter isn't his own, his store will undoubtedly be out of business soon, he never gets to go outside...and he's so, so weird.

He's closed on Wednesdays, what more do you need?

e: And if he can't get his store's poo poo together while you're basically pouring money down his throat, that's his problem.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 1, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

By the standards of this town?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
That's why you have to befriend Pierre, he must be contained

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So what have people been doing with their greenhouses to maximize the money from it? Fruit trees? Bunch of bee hives with fairy roses? One animal product away from having the greenhouse for the first time and haven't figured out what to put in there.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

get his store's poo poo together
He can start by selling seeds in Winter if you have a greenhouse, the lazy rear end in a top hat. :argh:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like Pierre and he is my friend. If he was more cartoonishly into cash, he would actually probably be more liked. Ka-ching!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zerilan posted:

So what have people been doing with their greenhouses to maximize the money from it? Fruit trees? Bunch of bee hives with fairy roses? One animal product away from having the greenhouse for the first time and haven't figured out what to put in there.

Ancient Fruit seems to be the most profitable, it takes a while to grow but once it does it produces regularly like a blueberry bush every few days.

I did not know you could place bee hives in the green house, this adds an entire new dimension that I will have to consider.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Starfruit in the greenhouse and turn it into wine. Put fruit trees on the edge of the dirt and you've maxed things out.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

e: And if he can't get his store's poo poo together while you're basically pouring money down his throat, that's his problem.

Seed Makers. Ship silver and gold crops, stick baseline crops in the seed makers. Boom! No need to ever buy from that smarmy jerkoff again!

e:
Almost forgot. I got the heart scene where Shane manages to fix his poo poo and gives Jas a present. That's all great but here he is trying to come clean and unfuck himself and Marnie just takes a dig at him anyway. loving hell Marnie, way to be a frigid rear end in a top hat.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Rutibex posted:

I did not know you could place bee hives in the green house, this adds an entire new dimension that I will have to consider.

I don't think they actually produce honey in there though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

taco show posted:

I don't think they actually produce honey in there though.

This is apparently correct :(

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

You cannot cage bees

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Zerilan posted:

Starfruit makes the most money, but is a hassle to replant. Ancient fruit -> kegs -> casks seems to be the easiest way to make tons of money and be done by 9 AM.

No reason not to have fruit trees in there too, but you may not notice the income.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ancient Fruit has a noticeable startup cost since you have to feed the produce to seed makers for a while to get enough seeds to fill the greenhouse, but as noted you only ever have to plant once. Over time it's slightly more profitable than Starfruit after accounting for the cost of buying Starfrut seeds, but it's very close.

e; And Rare Seeds in a greenhouse are a sucker's game. They take a full season to grow, can't be turned into wine, and even at gold star sell for only slightly more than Starfruit wine--but you can grow two Starfruit in a season. Ancient Fruit also takes a full season to grow, but produces about once a week forever after that.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 1, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ancient Fruit has a noticeable startup cost since you have to feed the produce to seed makers for a while to get enough seeds to fill the greenhouse, but as noted you only ever have to plant once. Over time it's slightly more profitable than Starfruit after accounting for the cost of buying Starfrut seeds, but it's very close.

e; And Rare Seeds in a greenhouse are a sucker's game. They take a full season to grow, can't be turned into wine, and even at gold star sell for only slightly more than Starfruit wine--but you can grow two Starfruit in a season. Ancient Fruit also takes a full season to grow, but produces about once a week forever after that.

My plan for year three is to fill the greenhouse with Ancient Fruits, and not sell a single one during the winter. 100% will be turned into seeds to be planted on the first day of spring. Ancient Fruits grow through all three seasons, this makes them the most profitable outside plant (so long as you plant them in spring).

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

You cannot cage bees

Countdown until someone posts the appropriate Nicolas Cage clip...

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

You cannot cage bees

Most honeybees in greenhouses just bonk the glass or plastic until they die. They can't see well. Most greenhouses use bumblebees to pollinate as they can see the glass better and don't get disoriented....but they don't produce honey.

What we need is a bumblebee hive that increases quality of greenhouse items grown near it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Rutibex posted:

My plan for year three is to fill the greenhouse with Ancient Fruits, and not sell a single one during the winter. 100% will be turned into seeds to be planted on the first day of spring. Ancient Fruits grow through all three seasons, this makes them the most profitable outside plant (so long as you plant them in spring).

I didn't realize that. Would save a lot of trouble changing over seasons.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Which farm types/layouts do you guys use?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Any layout except the monster farm is cool and good.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I go with standard because I like building and it's got the most space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a7m2 posted:

Which farm types/layouts do you guys use?

The forest map is the best for doing a speed run. You get 8 free respawning hardwood stumps every day, which makes hardwood a non-issue in basically all respects. The first building I purchased was the horse stable, because it was so easy to save up massive amounts of hardwood. Its handy for the big house upgrade and casks too. Cutting those stumps gives good foraging XP as well. The Forest also has a good amount of small ponds for crab fishing (more than the basic map anyway)

Planting space is kind of limited, but you will only run into that issue if you are maxing out every square inch of farmable space. You can put buildings on the grass, so the actual space limitations of the forest map are not that bad. I have been turning the hardwood stumps into a general orchard, so I can forage lots of stuff in one place. I have a meteor there now too :v: