Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
What array of grits should I get for sharpening chisels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
These two.

https://www.amazon.com/King-1000-Grit-Combination-Waterstone/dp/B0000Y7LAS/ref=pd_sim_469_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4NAHX1FYB8KT7DTVD7DW

https://www.amazon.com/King-800-4000-Combination-Waterstone/dp/B000248XEY/ref=pd_sim_469_17?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NYF5WFDNXBR2QT76MCHA

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Super Waffle posted:

Can anyone recommend me a set of sharpening stones for chisels? There's so many different grits and materials it's a bit overwhelming

Skip the water stones if you're just getting started. Get whatever cheap diamond stone you can find. I like the ezelap stones in coarse, fine and super fine. They are a little more than the cheaper diamond stones but you won't need to replace them for a long time and they more forgiving and simpler to use than water stones.

Also pick up some leather to glue on a piece of wood to make a strop and some buffing compound for polishing bevels and you'll be all set. I use the green compound but it doesn't matter that much.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Skip the water stones if you're just getting started. Get whatever cheap diamond stone you can find. I like the ezelap stones in coarse, fine and super fine. They are a little more than the cheaper diamond stones but you won't need to replace them for a long time and they more forgiving and simpler to use than water stones.

Also pick up some leather to glue on a piece of wood to make a strop and some buffing compound for polishing bevels and you'll be all set. I use the green compound but it doesn't matter that much.

These right here?

https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-PAK-Color-Coded-Diamond/dp/B000UVS62S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477270518&sr=8-3&keywords=ezelap

I guess my confusion comes from what grits different stones are and what that means with metal as opposed to wood. Like with wood, I know 80 grit is super coarse, 100 is for evening out a surface, 150 is for smoothing, and then you finish off with 220. And I read somewhere that diamond type stones grit numbers are a different scale than normal grits? Whats a coarse diamond compared to a coarse stone compared to a coarse sandpaper? :psyduck:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The scale is the same, it's just that wood is a lot rougher than metal, so what is considered "coarse" or "fine" depends on your purpose. 220 is a good starting point for sanding metal once you've filed it into shape, but if you want a mirror finish, you'll be going up to 4000+. You can't really polish bare wood any smoother than 400~600, but once you've varnished it you can (and should) keep going.

Stones and sandpaper will generally have similar roughness if they have a similar grit.

The sequence I usually use for metals and plastics is

at that point, the sandpaper feels like slightly grabby regular paper, and you can do final polishing with newsprint or just go straight onto the polishing wheel.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 24, 2016

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Super Waffle posted:

These right here?

https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-PAK-Color-Coded-Diamond/dp/B000UVS62S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477270518&sr=8-3&keywords=ezelap

I guess my confusion comes from what grits different stones are and what that means with metal as opposed to wood. Like with wood, I know 80 grit is super coarse, 100 is for evening out a surface, 150 is for smoothing, and then you finish off with 220. And I read somewhere that diamond type stones grit numbers are a different scale than normal grits? Whats a coarse diamond compared to a coarse stone compared to a coarse sandpaper? :psyduck:

Those are diamond "hones" and are handy to have around but they aren't for chisels. I was on my phone earlier so I couldn't post what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-81C-Coarse-Diamond-Stone/dp/B002RL844E
https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-81F-Fine-Diamond-Stone/dp/B002RL843U
https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-81SF-Super-Diamond-Stone/dp/B002RL843K

You only need to go as high in grit as the task requires. For a beginner it's hard to know what that should be. Paul Sellers will say for most furniture work you only need to go to 250 grit for sharpening tools. Higher is nicer but not strictly necessary. If you're making instruments you want to go much higher, like 30,000.

If you can't afford all those eze-lap stones to start with (and they're about $10-20 more than when I got them a few years ago) then I'd start with the coarse stone, a piece of leather to make a strop and some honing compound:
https://www.amazon.com/Trend-DWS-HP-LS-Compound/dp/B0154F7FKS
https://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D2902-1-Pound-Buffing-Compound/dp/B0000DD35C

Paul Sellers has a lot of good videos on sharpening woodworking tools on his Youtube channel, just search for "paul sellers sharpening".

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Those are diamond "hones" and are handy to have around but they aren't for chisels. I was on my phone earlier so I couldn't post what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-81C-Coarse-Diamond-Stone/dp/B002RL844E
https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-81F-Fine-Diamond-Stone/dp/B002RL843U
https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-81SF-Super-Diamond-Stone/dp/B002RL843K

You only need to go as high in grit as the task requires. For a beginner it's hard to know what that should be. Paul Sellers will say for most furniture work you only need to go to 250 grit for sharpening tools. Higher is nicer but not strictly necessary. If you're making instruments you want to go much higher, like 30,000.

If you can't afford all those eze-lap stones to start with (and they're about $10-20 more than when I got them a few years ago) then I'd start with the coarse stone, a piece of leather to make a strop and some honing compound:
https://www.amazon.com/Trend-DWS-HP-LS-Compound/dp/B0154F7FKS
https://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D2902-1-Pound-Buffing-Compound/dp/B0000DD35C

Paul Sellers has a lot of good videos on sharpening woodworking tools on his Youtube channel, just search for "paul sellers sharpening".

Related, Jack Krenov did all sorts of fantastic work and claimed that he just used a coarse oil stone for getting chips out of an edge, and then a medium and fine india stone for finishing the edge. That's probably 600-800 grit, max. People get way too worked up over hitting super high grit values (and I admit to being a complete hypocrite here since I use 1000, 8000, and then sometimes 13000# water stones after an initial grind) since good sharpening technique will trump the diminishing returns of finer grits on a tool edge.

Plus, a decent sharpening jig will get you most of the way to good technique and train you on what different angles feel like on the stone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sagebrush posted:

Stones and sandpaper will generally have similar roughness if they have a similar grit.

Negative. Sandpaper and stone grit is completely different. Grit doesn't even translate between American and European sandpaper. There are lots of comparison charts on the net to help sort it out. In general, American sandpaper is much finer than equivalent stone grit, so a 1500 grit waterstone = 1000 grit sandpaper.

Super Waffle posted:

What array of grits should I get for sharpening chisels?

The only answer that means anything is, "grit in what sharpening medium?" Sandpaper, stones, diamond, etc.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Thank you for the advice everyone! I've ordered a honing guide and a couple of the more inexpensive stones to get started. I may eventually work my way up to those diamond plates but I should be good for now.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

There's a Bostitch pancake air compressor on sale at Amazon today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UHNM1R0

Is it worth it? I've got one that I might need to replace, but I need to see if I can fix it first. If this is a steal, I might jump at this, but if there's something comparable for not much more I'd rather wait.

I have this one and it's served me well for the odd trim job around the house. From what I've seen that's a good price. I think most people probably have the Porter Cable pancake over this one though and if you wait for a month you can probably get a good deal on that one with like 3 different guns.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Ya, if you already got the tools that's a decent price. I got the Porter Cable one stupid puma mentioned, I didn't have the brad guns or staple gun and the whole kit was something like $200. The PC compressor and guns look almost identical to the Bostich one you posted so I wouldn't be surprised if they were all made in the same Mexican factory.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill

TheDon01 posted:

Ya, if you already got the tools that's a decent price. I got the Porter Cable one stupid puma mentioned, I didn't have the brad guns or staple gun and the whole kit was something like $200. The PC compressor and guns look almost identical to the Bostich one you posted so I wouldn't be surprised if they were all made in the same Mexican Chinese factory.

FTFY

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of which, the Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake is on sale at Amazon today. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O5RO1Y

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I personally still would spend the extra $50 (steel) or $75 (Al) on the California Air Tools one:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/B1WFB2XXqWS.mp4

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Any recommendations for a budget priced but reliable pressure washer? I mostly plan to use it for car washing and washing the house, sidewalk, patio, etc.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

vulturesrow posted:

Any recommendations for a budget priced but reliable pressure washer? I mostly plan to use it for car washing and washing the house, sidewalk, patio, etc.

If you aren't using it regularly (monthly), then an electric might do the trick. I've got a 120V ARBlue that works fine for light duty stuff. I'd you need to cover a ton of ground or do commercial poo poo, get a Honda motor and CAT pump, and actually maintain it.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

sharkytm posted:

If you aren't using it regularly (monthly), then an electric might do the trick. I've got a 120V ARBlue that works fine for light duty stuff. I'd you need to cover a ton of ground or do commercial poo poo, get a Honda motor and CAT pump, and actually maintain it.

I think I have an arblue as well and it works pretty good. In future I would probably just buy them from flea markets and consider them disposable. I was chatting with a lady that buys them at auctions, fixes them up, then sells them at her local market. Apparently lots of contractors buy them that way and it ends up being cheaper than maintaining gas ones. Though I guess gas ones are way more powerful generally.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Does anyone have opinions on a 1-1/4 HP router vs a 2-1/2 HP one? I'm looking to mostly do edge shaping work at a hobbiest level, maybe the occasional dado as well (so I'm looking at an interchangable base). Where am I going to find the "Compact" style running out of power. Should I be OK if I'm not planning on doing things like joinery cutting with it?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
The only thing I was ever glad I had a big router for was raised panels with a 3" cutter. Even then you need to take multiple passes, and it has to be in a router table. More useful features are variable speed and soft start.

On the other hand, "Buy once, cry once."

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

One Legged Ninja posted:

The only thing I was ever glad I had a big router for was raised panels with a 3" cutter. Even then you need to take multiple passes, and it has to be in a router table. More useful features are variable speed and soft start.

On the other hand, "Buy once, cry once."

Palm routers are super useful in certain situations, but a big Bosch is a way better idea. I found a used one for $35. No soft-start and a cracked casing, but it works great.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

sharkytm posted:

I'd say I'd probably be using it monthly, if not a little more.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

vulturesrow posted:

I'd say I'd probably be using it monthly, if not a little more.

Then it's gonna depend on the usage. If 1800PSI will do it, electrics are way loving quieter, don't ever need fuel or oil, and are relatively portable. I've got a 50' 12AWG extension cord for mine, and it covers the whole house. If you need remote use, then gas is the only way. Ditto if you need more than 2000PSI. Don't get me wrong, I love my old boss' 4500PSI monster with a turbo nozzle, but it weighs about 150#, and sucks down fuel. For removing algae from the deck or shingles, my little $99 electric does a fine job.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Regarding routers, PC is the go-to for generic router, I have a 690 and an 892. If you can afford it I'd go with the 892 with a plunge base unless you'll be doing a lot of trim work. The important part is having the HP to power through lower RPM required by some bits (and being able to do this is the difference between a crappy finish and a great finish on some woods, specially quarter sawn interlocked fiber woods like sapele).

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 3, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My $99 Festool sander was supposed to arrive today but we had a substitute mailman and fucker didn't deliver it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wormil posted:

My $99 Festool sander was supposed to arrive today but we had a substitute mailman and fucker didn't deliver it.

He's too busy to deliver it, got lots of stuff to sand with his sweet new sander.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

It could be worse, mine is backordered!

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

He's too busy to deliver it, got lots of stuff to sand with his sweet new sander.

Quality.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bad Munki posted:

You have preyed upon my third worst fear.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Alligators, Aneurysms, and Assholes?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

swampface posted:

It could be worse, mine is backordered!

It could be worse, they wouldn't ship to Canada! :smith:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

keep it down up there! posted:

It could be worse, they wouldn't ship to Canada! :smith:

I think Lee valley in Canada was running the same or a very similar promotion actually

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Squibbles posted:

I think Lee valley in Canada was running the same or a very similar promotion actually

Oh god please don't tell me I missed that. I live a block away from a Lee Valley...

Edit: Looks like they still got it for $129 CDN. Though it's listed as sold out for now. Hope they get more.
Thanks for pointing it out.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 4, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Festool dealer in Canada did have the same promotion but I didn't see anything about on the web until a week later. CPO also had some extras they sold on eBay yesterday for $99 but they were gone really fast.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

wormil posted:

Who did you order through? I haven't received mine yet either.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mds2 posted:

Who did you order through? I haven't received mine yet either.

Toolnut. My tracking was updated to out for delivery.

edit...

wormil fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 4, 2016

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

wormil posted:

Toolnut. My tracking was updated to out for delivery.

edit...

drat you, I waffled too long. Then a few days ago I was using my cheap 5" Hitachi ROS and was cursing its god awful "dust collection" bag that constantly falls off. I immediately pulled out my phone to order the Festool only to see it was sold out/ orders suspended.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

It even comes in a cute little abs plastic case :allears:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Tony Doughnuts posted:

It even comes in a cute little abs plastic case :allears:

That's a Systainer... nothing cute about it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anyone know of a good set of allen wrenches? I feel like the ones I bought from the hardware store strip more often than they turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

ColdPie posted:

Anyone know of a good set of allen wrenches? I feel like the ones I bought from the hardware store strip more often than they turn.

Bondhus.

Eklind are fine as well.

Wera/Wiha/PB Swiss if you've got cash to blow.