Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

GEMorris posted:

One of the best ways to reduce sanding dust (which to me is the absolute worst dust for an in-house shop) is to get very familiar with using a card scraper. It can drastically reduce the amount of sanding you ever need to do.

A well tuned smoothing plane also creates a surface that is perfectly fine for 3/4 of the work that most people do, so you might not even need the card scraper if you don't want to go that far.

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013
You can also do the poor man's cheapskate's air filtration unit, if you're doing something unavoidably dusty. Say you're doing a lot of ripping by hand. A box fan with an air filter held on by a bungie cord or two will help pull the floaters out of the air.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Waldstein Sonata posted:

You can also do the poor man's cheapskate's air filtration unit, if you're doing something unavoidably dusty. Say you're doing a lot of ripping by hand. A box fan with an air filter held on by a bungie cord or two will help pull the floaters out of the air.

Duct tape is an acceptable substitute for bungee cords.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Woodworking related photodump,

Maxed out the bandmill for the first time in a while. 36" white ash.

Also cut some locust and hosed it off because I can never get over how great it looks.

And then I made a holder for a sheet grabber, and it accidentally turned out looking like the Iron Giant face, but in a BDSM dungeon.

Too many Frank Howarth videos caused checking ebay all the time for Kant Twist clamps, and I got the largest one made for $28, and a pair of 6D's for $35.

:v:

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 5, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hypnolobster posted:

Maxed out the bandmill for the first time in a while. 36" white ash.

I really need to buy or build one of these.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
http://i.imgur.com/UshqGLuh.jpg

I laughed when I saw it. And I can't get the gd thumbnail to work.

Kickass sawmill. I would love to have one!

mds2 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 5, 2016

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

:getin:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are the prices at Geek Chic reasonable for what they make, or would it be more advantageous to seek out a local woodworker to create something similar?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The prices are a bit on the high side of fine because they get to charge for the name, but they're not much higher than you'd pay for something similarly-sized/styled without the drop-top and other nerd features at a place like Pottery Barn or whatever.

That said, you can probably do a lot better in terms of time to delivery and getting exactly what you want by finding someone local to work with.

I bought a table from Geek Chic several years ago, both before I got into woodworking, and before they both raised prices across the board and discontinued their discount for ordering one at a convention. The one I have is solidly well-made of good wood, nicely finished, with nice construction benefits like removable legs that mate very stably with the tabletop when installed. If I were contemplating another piece of furniture from them, the biggest dealbreaker would be their turnaround time - my table took 10 months from order to delivery, and that was in 2012 when they were significantly less well-known and popular, and with the advantage of them being local to me and not having to wait on their cross-country delivery scheduling.

Basically, no harm in finding someone local to you and seeing what they quote you for the thing you want.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Finished up my chest of drawers/change table last night. Solid butternut with a white oak top and cedar drawers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Finished up my chest of drawers/change table last night. Solid butternut with a white oak top and cedar drawers.

That's some great work there. Looks beautiful.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Love the grain patterning, design, all of it

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

:drat:

Amazing work!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Surprisingly those woods all mesh well and it looks great. The workmanship looks top notch.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

That's really wonderful work!

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks guys. I can't take credit for the design, it's from a FWW article, but I can take credit for the rest of it. Butternut is an incredibly easy to work and forgiving wood.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I love the way you used the same piece of lumber to make the fronts of the drawers so the grain extends across them. Maybe it's a common technique, but it really stands out on the top drawers.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 5, 2016

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Gonna be hard to follow that beautiful dresser but heres what I got:

Picked up my first peice of exotic hardwood bigger than a scrap, 1.5 BF of Paduak. Seemed like a reasonable price at $7.50/BF but what do I know

I wanted something bright to liven up a cedar box I have been making for a friend; I wanted Redheart but they only piece they had that would have been big enough was like $30 so I went with this stuff. I am reasonably happy with the end product, I plan to use a boiled linseed oil finish in the next day or so.

This lid doesn't line up with the box perfectly, as the box isn't perfectly square; thats something I'm still struggling with but I'm sure I'll get it eventually. It was a great experience finally being able to use all the knowledge Ive been slowly absorbing over the last few years. I'm so happy with my new table saw, its opened up a world of possibilities and projects.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Super Waffle posted:

the box isn't perfectly square

No one is ever going to check except you. More important to look right than be right. And it looks right, miters look tight, good to go.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Holy hannah where are you getting Padauk for $7.50? My usual place is charging something like $22/bf

Edit: Also I want to say that box looks pretty dang wonderful. Those miters are about 300% more clean than anything I've been able to do yet with my filthy hand tools.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Skippy Granola posted:

Holy hannah where are you getting Padauk for $7.50? My usual place is charging something like $22/bf

$8.50 bf last time I bought it, 4/4, up to 12" wide.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

Edit: Also I want to say that box looks pretty dang wonderful. Those miters are about 300% more clean than anything I've been able to do yet with my filthy hand tools.

The local Woodcraft, it was $7.50 for 4/4, $9.00 for the wider 10/4 boards. They had a pallet of each, maybe it was a shipping error or something, I'd never seen so much padauk there

And thanks for the complements on the box :3. I wish I hadn't glued the bottom on before I decided to grab the padauk, or I would have cut the box and continued the strip down the sides. I'll save the idea for the next one!

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 7, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Made a runner for my table saw, a real PITA requiring lots of handplane work to sneak up on the right dimension, because it's a dovetail shaped runner

I want a small table saw sled so I'll need a runner for it, reason is my shop is feeling a little cramped again, though it's also very messy and I gots lots of junk lying around which makes it worse. It'll improve once I get some stuff in final position and other junk thrown away. Anyway I disassembled my sliding table so my saw's footprint would be reduced. I can quickly and without tools re-assemble it though if needed. If I could get a smaller fence for it I might not even have to have it disassembled at all.

Also started adding more shop drawers. These cheap euro glides are 500/1070mm something, not entirely full extension, you lose like 100mm/4", but for 4 bucks a set it's a steal anyway IMO. gonna fill it up to the floor with drawers, then add some fronts & pulls. Making a single wide drawer like this worked out nicely.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Where are you getting the cheap slides?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's a store called Biltema. Unless you live in Sweden or Finland I don't think it's something you can get a hold of.

Furthest down, swedish language site, holds about 53lbs:
http://www.biltema.fi/sv-fi/Bygg/Gangjarn/Ovrigt/Expansionsbeslag-2-st-2000018627/

These more expensive ones can hold 88lbs:
http://www.biltema.fi/sv-fi/Bygg/Gangjarn/Ovrigt/Expansionsbeslag-2-st-2000018657/

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 7, 2016

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Super Waffle posted:

Gonna be hard to follow that beautiful dresser but heres what I got:

This lid doesn't line up with the box perfectly, as the box isn't perfectly square; thats something I'm still struggling with but I'm sure I'll get it eventually. It was a great experience finally being able to use all the knowledge Ive been slowly absorbing over the last few years. I'm so happy with my new table saw, its opened up a world of possibilities and projects.
This looks great! Padauk is a really gorgeous wood. Be sure to try some purple heart at some point too.

And speaking of purple heart, in case anyone here doesn't know you can bring a deeper shade of purple out of it after working by carefully running a torch over it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKRiQHaIJt4

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Super Waffle posted:

I wanted something bright to liven up a cedar box I have been making for a friend; I wanted Redheart but they only piece they had that would have been big enough was like $30 so I went with this stuff. I am reasonably happy with the end product, I plan to use a boiled linseed oil finish in the next day or so.

Try that BLO on some of the scraps first. It can give lighter colored woods a yellowish tint that not everyone likes. Danish oil might be a good alternative.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Try that BLO on some of the scraps first. It can give lighter colored woods a yellowish tint that not everyone likes. Danish oil might be a good alternative.

I already have, it didn't affect the padauk too much but it did yellow the cedar. Its not what I had originally envisioned for the box but I think it'll come out nice.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I've also had less of an issue on this with Tung Oil. I really, really don't like yellow tint BLO gives light woods.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
This weekend is a long weekend so I've decided to spend it building a workbench.

I am about 6'3" tall and figured I needed about 3 feet of height at the bench top to work comfortably.

The top will be 2' by 5' of laminated pine 3.5" thick. I can't really afford 50 board feet of maple so I'm going to go the cheap route. Laminated 2x4 should be rigid and heavy enough.

The legs will be 3" square also pine.

As for joinery, I'm going to inset the legs 6" from the ends of the bench but flush at the face. They'll attach to the top using the Roubo double-tenon.

The legs will be attached with two long rails with drawbored through-tenons, and two short rails set in just above. I don't feel confident trucking with mitred blind tenons honestly.

I haven't decided if I should put haunched mortise and tenons at the ends under the bench top though.

Anyway, I wanted to get your input on the design if there's anything I overlooked. I think it should be pretty stout even in stud pine.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Skippy Granola posted:

Anyway, I wanted to get your input on the design if there's anything I overlooked. I think it should be pretty stout even in stud pine.

I'm sure the bench nerds will be along shortly to tell you all about it :)

You might find 36" is too short for you at 6' 3". Paul Sellers did a video? and a few blogs posts about bench height. Softwood is good for a bench top. You want the bench to dent if you drop the work piece, not the other way around. An apron on the front would give you a little more resistance to racking. Paul glues his apron to the edge of the top and sets the legs into what he calls housing dadoes to make it very rigid. I wish I had made my bench the full 7-8' available on the studs I used instead of shortening it down to about 6'. More room for tools and workpieces, more weight for stability.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Benches for hand tool woodworking are a solved problem. Find one made by someone who's opinion you respect and just make it without changing anything.

36" is too high if you are building it for primarily hand tool woodworking even at 6'3". It will be difficult to use your entire body when planing, as your arms will be scrunched up, resulting in becoming easily exhausted.

This is all my opinion and I'm sure people will disagree with me.

Use Southern Yellow Pine if you are on a budget.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 8, 2016

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

GEMorris posted:

Benches for hand tool woodworking are a solved problem. Find one made by someone who's opinion you respect and just make it without changing anything.

36" is too high if you are building it for primarily hand tool woodworking even at 6'3". It will be difficult to use your entire body when planing, as your arms will be scrunched up, resulting in becoming easily exhausted.

This is all my opinion and I'm sure people will disagree with me.

Use Southern Yellow Pine if you are on a budget.

I mostly agree with all this; I guess the big note I'd say is that it's easy to chop a workbench down a few inches if it's too tall, but it's a bit harder to add permanent, sturdy height.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Falcon2001 posted:

I mostly agree with all this; I guess the big note I'd say is that it's easy to chop a workbench down a few inches if it's too tall, but it's a bit harder to add permanent, sturdy height.

Except you want your front stretcher at the right height to tuck the front of your foot under for stability and so you can use more lower body strength when planing. If you build the bench too high with the stretcher at the right height and then cut it down, the resulting stretcher height will be too low.

It's a minor point but personally I find it very useful.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Man, what fuckin' scam did that nerd with the Festool sander sign me up for?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm ready to call the box finished. That BLO really put an amazing satin finish on the box, I am ecstatic with how its turned out. The padauk looks almost holographic/translucent with the finish, and turns out theres even a little but of curl on one of the corners. I was a little disappointed with how pale it had turned out before but now it looks perfect.

I wanna thank everyone in this thread for all the amazing advice and information I've gotten, couldn't have done it without y'all :buddy:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Yeah that looks really awesome right there!

Padauk turns really easily if you have any interest in turning.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

It looks good. Something I struggle with is that handmade shouldn't look machine made, that means it won't be perfect.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Got two decent size walnut slabs for free today. They weren't sawn or dried very well so they're both a little checked, but it's salvageable. I spent some quality time skip planing and debarking/making a huge mess.

The big one is getting resawn and will be a small dining table, the other I have no ideas for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255