Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
Was Ben able to get the funding necessary for all the Wing Commander crap? Is he still obese? Haven't seen him in awhile.

Edit: somebody pay my tax please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

This needs a GTA "Wasted" screen.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Ben got the money.

He's still obese, and probably hasn't seen his wiener in longer than it's been since you've seen him.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
exactly what I thought

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Juvenile ocelot is sick of croberts poo poo

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
I don't know how to embed pictures/gifs but I think you guys will enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpNrn0_97LM

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

TheAgent posted:

wow guys prepare to be blown away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT54sm-uYYk

I am loving PUMPED

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lazrin is Karl, Karl is Matilda2013 - Raess201123123123123 posted:

i've managed large software projects in the healthcare industry with budgets in the tens of millions with application revenue opportunities an order of magnitude more revenue than that. i've also managed people across disciplines on those projects.

though they weren't game projects, the factors for success are the same... not everyone here is a dummy.

ITS OUR FAVORITE GERMAN AUDITOR!

:buddy:

https://www.reddit.com/user/Matilda2013/gilded/

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3lj5nf/the_last_derek_smart_thread_well_ever_need/cv9mcjc/

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 6, 2016

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Do you have a HOTAS commando?

I have a HOTAS :wink:

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

Raskolnikov posted:

I have a HOTAS :wink:

I'm going to by a HOTAS so I'm prepared to play with my fellow commandos next time I get drunk enough to post on this dead gay comedy forum.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Has science gone too far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn4YlAlHn-Y

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

No no, see, Lazrin is one of the family of German auditors that is not Karl.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lazrin posted:

i've managed large software projects in the healthcare industry with budgets in the tens of millions with application revenue opportunities an order of magnitude more revenue than that. i've also managed people across disciplines on those projects.

though they weren't game projects, the factors for success are the same... not everyone here is a dummy.

No, but you certainly are.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TheAgent posted:

wow guys prepare to be blown away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT54sm-uYYk

I am loving PUMPED

What's the odds of CiG throwing a lawsuit at them to take it down due to IP violation unless they cut him in on the take?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I'd say just right.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Jason Sextro posted:

No no, see, Lazrin is one of the family of German auditors that is not Karl.
Lazrin is the cousin twice removed.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Just means that half the crew are designing/developing it as an always on-line game, the other half as one that can play offline. Not an unusual state for CIG TBH. What could possibly go wrong?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I don't think it's just Ben, I think the entire topic of SC causes time dilation. Somehow it took more time to catch up with the thread than passed while reading it...

legion989
Jan 18, 2013
Bane

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

hello

SQ42
  • SQ42 is an "always online" game (not prelude)
  • both games are developed in parallel, but one is always holding the other back
  • SQ42 hooks directly in SC
  • your choices determine stats, starting credits and ships in the SC universe
  • NPC factions will react to you different depending on your choices in SQ42
  • certain NPCs from SQ42 will be in the SC universe and will have different things to say depending on player choice
  • items, clothing, weapons you buy for $ or in-game currency will carry over from single player to SC

SC
  • netcode is a problem; bigger problem are the servers
  • massive hardware upgrade needed for 2.6/3.0
  • "Nobody thought of the costs for something like this. It's too intense [on the server hardware]."
  • new server costs to host 2.6/3.0 changes easily quarter-mil a month for small test bed (hosting several hundred players) with millions to host 1,000s of players
  • this is due to how ships, players, combat, npcs and other critical gameplay components utilize CPU
  • nearly all of the above has to get refactored. that awesome damage model? refactored. your o2 level simulation? refactored. your fancy ships? refactored. AI? refactored. NPCs? refactored

God drat lazrin it feels good to have realposted and called it

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Lazrin posted:

Did your software projects envision an ENTIRE ONLINE UNIVERSE where your employees would interact with computerized non-employees in order to navigate their day-to-day duties, complete with mo-capped janitors?

I have about another dozen questions I could ask along this line, but you can fill in the blanks.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
hi Ben

I know you're struggling to make sense of your current circumstance. On the one hand, Sandi is your friend and you know you mean alot to her. On the other hand she seems to have side-lined you in a pretty significant way...just as she did with Wingman in years past.
Chris doesn't give you the same energized conversations about obscure wing commander memorabilia like he once did. You've been assured its ok to lurk by the staff lounge area during the day even though you're technically not employed at CIG anymore....but people always seem to need to get back to work whenever you try to have a conversation. Hell, developers literally tell you to gently caress off whenever you offer input on anything now. It must feel like you were just on the greatest roller-coaster of all time, and now just as you were ready to take a second ride the railings collapsed right before your eyes and clipped into the "replace me" texture that represents planet earth.

But all of that is ok. Because you can still be the hero Ben Lesnick. This can still be your story. All you have to do is tell the truth. Drop the dime on CIG and you will be the hero we deserve. It's needed now more than ever. Transcend your Oedipal conflict and leave Chris to handle the fallout. It's better late then never Lesnick. Take the hero's journey and make the Star Citizen Thread Great Again.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wiz is in here on the page I'm on just wrecking Lazrins rear end in a top hat so hard Fuzzy Modem is getting vibes in jail from it.

Seriously Wiz I'm going to buy you a beer some day and hand it to you with the label just saying "mic dropper 2016".

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Wiz posted:

A dream is not a design document. A vision is not a milestone. Without planning and direction you're not going to accomplish jack squat, no matter how great an idea sounds in your head.

This is the best software engineering advice I've ever gotten from a dead comedy forum, bar none.

On a slightly different topic, some pages back, Lazarin brought up the old saw about how CIG are doing groundbreaking work of the (kind|scope|audacity) never attempted before. Statements like this are laughable on their face if you've written pretty much any nontrivial software, and have been paying attention to the relatively small number of hard technical details which actually emerge from CIG. I'm sure there are different examples which jump out to people working in different fields; the one that has always jumped out at me is CIG's use of XML.

At least a year ago (pre "StarNetwork" days) CIG blamed their initial network performance problems on the fact that they were shoving huge wads of XML over the wire. The "coming soon" solution they proposed at the time, which would enable the huge space battles everyone was waiting for, was "binary XML". Backers accepted this on faith, and spent quite a while talking about how binary XML was going to solve everything.

Here is a list of things that went through my head in the few seconds after I first read this report about XML being the cause of CIG's woes:

• Why would you use XML for data serialization in a game's networking layer in 201X? I've never written anything close to a game, and I know that latency is your worst enemy there! XML is notoriously verbose as a format, and notoriously slow (and high in CPU/memory overhead) to marshal and unmarshal.
  • No really, XML is 1990s as hell and "Enterprise" as hell. There are so many newer, better, more applicable serialization formats.
  • Okay, even if you are going to use XML, why are your individual updates so huge? Surely, in designing the serialization protocol for a game, you'd craft it to be as compact as possible.
  • Especially if you've decided to use XML.
  • What the hell is "binary XML", anyway? Compressing XML or using a non-human-readable encoding only helps with the size issue and not the overhead issue (and takes away the only selling point XML ever had, which was the fact that it was self-describing and human readable).

You don't need to know anything about "game development" to see the problems and the bad decisions here. You just to (1) need to know what causes performance constraints in networked applications, and (2) have written software which serializes data, after 2001.

I mention 2001, because that's when YAML became a thing and started taking mindshare from XML in some programming communities. JSON (which you may have heard of) followed in 2002, and had already de facto replaced XML in the now hilariously-misnamed XMLHttpRequest by 2005/6. BSON (Binary JSON) followed with MongoDB in 2009. Google, a company which definitely does know something about efficient use of networks at massive scale, started using ProtoBufs internally in 2001 and released them publically in 2008. And there are many more: MessagePack, Apache Thrift, CapnProto... all newer than XML and all having learned from its mistakes.

I had to look up binary XML to see what it actually was. According to wikipedia, it's pretty much the BSON/MessagePack equivalent for XML. But there was never an agreed upon standard implementation, and according to this pretty boring article from 2008, binary XML was barking up the wrong tree to solve XML's performance problems anyway.

But yeah, CIG is totally full of crazy geniuses, pushing the envelope of what's possible. By shoving huge, bloated wads of XML over the internet. In 201345 whenever the hell people are now claiming development started.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TheAgent posted:

this is due to how ships, players, combat, npcs and other critical gameplay components utilize CPU

You mean it's both extremely CPU and network intensive to report the locations of every single thing in the universe to every player on the serer, almost like the engine it's being built on is designed for close combat FPS on small maps and not universe sized ones?

Well I'll be damned, how could we ever see this coming?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thronde posted:

Wiz is in here on the page I'm on just wrecking Lazrins rear end in a top hat so hard Fuzzy Modem is getting vibes in jail from it.

Seriously Wiz I'm going to buy you a beer some day and hand it to you with the label just saying "mic dropper 2016".

When is/was Fuzzy's day in court by the way? I got so rapped up in getting things done that I lost track.

In related news, last chapter of thesis approved for revision. Yay.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:laffo:

two hundred and twenty-five seconds for 800 man-hours of work. I sure hope they chose the worst footage for their lovely trailer

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nah, they write nothing alike. There are lots of these dudes

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I was betting that Lazrin was a goon trolling us, I'm going to be so mad if he turns out to really be a German auditor.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Tippis posted:

When is/was Fuzzy's day in court by the way? I got so rapped up in getting things done that I lost track..
14th of November, so like 7-8 days from now.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Skellybones posted:

I was betting that Lazrin was a goon trolling us, I'm going to be so mad if he turns out to really be a German auditor.

He must be a very stupid german. If he's that bad at using the shift key.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Skellybones posted:

If he's anyone he's Lethality.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:laffo:

two hundred and twenty-five seconds for 800 man-hours of work. I sure hope they chose the worst footage for their lovely trailer
I do trust him it will feel much longer.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Jason Sextro posted:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

TheAgent posted:

hello

SQ42
  • SQ42 is an "always online" game (not prelude)
  • both games are developed in parallel, but one is always holding the other back
  • SQ42 hooks directly in SC
  • your choices determine stats, starting credits and ships in the SC universe
  • NPC factions will react to you different depending on your choices in SQ42
  • certain NPCs from SQ42 will be in the SC universe and will have different things to say depending on player choice
  • items, clothing, weapons you buy for $ or in-game currency will carry over from single player to SC

SC
  • netcode is a problem; bigger problem are the servers
  • massive hardware upgrade needed for 2.6/3.0
  • "Nobody thought of the costs for something like this. It's too intense [on the server hardware]."
  • new server costs to host 2.6/3.0 changes easily quarter-mil a month for small test bed (hosting several hundred players) with millions to host 1,000s of players
  • this is due to how ships, players, combat, npcs and other critical gameplay components utilize CPU
  • nearly all of the above has to get refactored. that awesome damage model? refactored. your o2 level simulation? refactored. your fancy ships? refactored. AI? refactored. NPCs? refactored

release the krakin - there we have 2 more weeks.

Here is a bucket to poo poo in and sandi will bring food. Dont leave till it is finished.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 6, 2016

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

pedo-bear?

that is a juvie tree.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Jason Sextro posted:

If he's not, he quotes him verbatim which is still retarded and funny

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tippis posted:

I'm saying that when I called all of CIG amateurs for using the term over on the FDev forums, I got this apologetic reply from one of their devs:

Even they know it's wrong, but like he says, it's a virus and it's spreading.

This is a really weird thing to have said. So this developer thinks that "change a bunch of stuff" without a specific feature of bug assigned to it is a problem with the tracking software they are using? What the hell are they doing regularly making changes to their code in a way that isn't implementing something new or fixing something old?

Seriously, the reason their software doesn't have a changed a bunch of stuff work item type is because that's loving retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

lol lazrin picking medical software experience as his trump card is amazing, there isn't an industry besides Roberts Industries that is better at wasting millions of dollars on poorly specced features. also medical field software dev is so drastically and remarkably unlike gamedev, it's a perfect example of not understanding how experiences you've had in one area do not necessarily translate to even beginning to understand the demands of another

but hey medical software == computers, MMOFPS games == computers, ergo via the transitive property...

• Locked thread