Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sono posted:

Water in the evening.

Watering my crops + caring for my animals takes me until noon. Normally I don't mind the work as it's soothing, but not if I have to savescum. It'd be a real tight race if I saved it until after I went fishing.

Thor-Stryker posted:

If you're kb/m you can exploit fishing by freezing time while the line is cast: click the "!" button in the top right corner just after casting your line, then click the "X" to leave the quest menu right as you hear the splashing noise. Gets you 2-4 more fish per 10 minutes depending on how good you are and how short you cast the line. (You'll need an active quest for this to work though.)

Aha, interesting! I have a quest (Emily wants an Apricot) and I'm using kb+m, so I'll check it out. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I figure the rabbits foot is just a clump of matted fur or something. It's kind of what it looks like, put on a keychain. :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Thor-Stryker posted:

If you're kb/m you can exploit fishing by freezing time while the line is cast: click the "!" button in the top right corner just after casting your line, then click the "X" to leave the quest menu right as you hear the splashing noise. Gets you 2-4 more fish per 10 minutes depending on how good you are and how short you cast the line. (You'll need an active quest for this to work though.)

You can also use this to stay up past 2am. If you hit the "!" just as you collapse into sleep the animation is interrupted and you can continue playing for a bit.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Back when the game first came out, there was a mod that I used all the time, and I can't seem to find it any more. I can't remember its name, but if you had a chest next to a machine, it would automagically take ingredients from the chest, produce the finished product (bars, mayo, etc) and re-deposit it back into said chest. Anyone remember the name of this mod or know of a similar one?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wee Bairns posted:

Back when the game first came out, there was a mod that I used all the time, and I can't seem to find it any more. I can't remember its name, but if you had a chest next to a machine, it would automagically take ingredients from the chest, produce the finished product (bars, mayo, etc) and re-deposit it back into said chest. Anyone remember the name of this mod or know of a similar one?

Here you go!

I haven't used it myself, and I hear it doesn't work with things like coffee? but hey, that should be the mod.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Here you go!

I haven't used it myself, and I hear it doesn't work with things like coffee? but hey, that should be the mod.

:eyepop:
This is how it started with the Minecraft mods. This is a deep rabbit hole.....

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Here you go!

Yeah, it doesn't seem to work with 1.1 stuff, but it mostly does the job.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Here you go!

It'll do the basics, and that's all I can ask for, thank you!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, in general, without getting into extremely :sperg: levels of optimization, what should I be busying myself with in winter?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's never a bad idea to do mine runs collecting materials to make Mega Bombs so you can actually get to the lower floors in the desert dungeon.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I prefer normal bombs to mega bombs since normal bombs cost half as much. You just drop them more often when needed. Much of the mega bombs extra explosion area gets wasted anyway.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Zephyrine posted:

I prefer normal bombs to mega bombs since normal bombs cost half as much. You just drop them more often when needed. Much of the mega bombs extra explosion area gets wasted anyway.

I'm mixed, gold ore is easier to come by in skull caverns compared to iron for crafting bombs. But if you're purchasing them from the dwarf, then it's 400 gold saved per bomb.

In the mines I usually have both because the Burglar Ring causes regular bombs to drop more often from Serpents.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, in general, without getting into extremely :sperg: levels of optimization, what should I be busying myself with in winter?

Planting winter seeds can actually be really profitable.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Trast posted:

And when they all die on Spring 1 you don't have to do any tilling!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Trast posted:

This, you can perpetuate it as well by crafting the first few harvests. It's also the only way to keep earning Foraging XP when winter comes as trees don't grow.

Winter is a good time to fish, stock up on hardwood from the secret forest and mine. Sap is also still produced from mature trees, so you can get Oak Resin all season provided you have some trees still left.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Winter is when I mine and fish a bit, but I also stockpile during other seasons so my cheese/jam/wine production keeps going so I'm still making money.

It's also when I remodel on the farm. I have big plans for winter this time around, I need summer to end soon!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Gonna buy the game for my dad and see if he can get into it. He's okay at 2D games as long as they're not fast-paced. Gonna install a few mods for him though like NPC locations and Harvest with Scythe

I explained the premise to him on a long car ride and he said he'd try it as long as he could be a hermit and didn't have to interact with anybody :(

fake edit: "Son, why is this young woman dressed like a cow?"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
harvest with scythe means it's gonna take him longer to grind his farming skills. why do you do this to him

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I thought that was fixed with the SMAPI mod. I've been using it the past week and it seems to be gaining xp fine.

Still though I don't want to take any chances. I think I'll just let him use vanilla for a while.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrSlam posted:

Gonna buy the game for my dad and see if he can get into it. He's okay at 2D games as long as they're not fast-paced. Gonna install a few mods for him though like NPC locations and Harvest with Scythe

I explained the premise to him on a long car ride and he said he'd try it as long as he could be a hermit and didn't have to interact with anybody :(

fake edit: "Son, why is this young woman dressed like a cow?"

"Son, I don't know what you're into, but you shouldn't be riding young ladies around like they're horses.

Also, that Pierre fellow can gently caress right off."

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
somebody make a mod that swaps Pure Evil Pierre with Misunderstood Morris

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

rotinaj posted:

"Son, I don't know what you're into, but you shouldn't be riding young ladies around like they're horses.

Also, that Pierre fellow can gently caress right off."

ironically that second part was what my own dad ended up saying when he wandered into the den one day for a soda while i was playing stardew from the couch. it happened to be the scene where pierre was mentioning he had 2nd year seeds, and at the end of that scene, he abruptly wheels on you and barks that you'd better not even loving think about buying from joja. conversation went a little like this:

"what's HIS problem"
"he's talking about the walmart in town and he's salty about the competition"
"so he tries to intimidate you?"
"yeah pretty normal actually"
"wow, screw that guy."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
You don't leave the winter forage you yank it up and sell it for a poo poo ton of money.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Crystal fruit wine is also good and can help that first year when your short of wine ingredients. Iridium quality just about doubles the sell price but is still worth it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
winter forage doesn't technically stay in the ground once mature anyway, no forage does. you will get a lot of tilled soil loss from growing forage all the time

you could plant it and then leave it without watering it though i guess

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My quest for a dorado...complete!

Hit a lucky day and said screw it to watering my crops early and after catching every chub in the river it finally came out.

Next up: befriending Sandy. Maybe getting enough iridium to upgrade my tools. Maybe...upgrading my house again? Who knows! :D

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Lightning rod question: The wiki says you have a 50% chance to get a battery from a storm. Does number of rods matter? (Is there a cap on strikes?)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Sono posted:

Lightning rod question: The wiki says you have a 50% chance to get a battery from a storm. Does number of rods matter? (Is there a cap on strikes?)

A rod that has been hit, or is currently holding on to a battery, cannot be hit again. So yes build a shitload of rods.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Do the lightning rods actually prevent other stuff from being destroyed or is that just my Don't Starve brain wires getting crossed?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

I Said No posted:

Do the lightning rods actually prevent other stuff from being destroyed or is that just my Don't Starve brain wires getting crossed?

They do prevent your crops from getting zapped.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know that stuff you never have enough time for due to farming? Do that.

e: Not being a jerk, just play as you like.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

WarpedNaba posted:

You know that stuff you never have enough time for due to farming? Do that.

e: Not being a jerk, just play as you like.

All good! I assumed that there was specific stuff for winter that needed to be done, but it sounds like it's a bit of that, but mostly "work on stuff that doesn't die during the season".

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Eeeh, you can farm winter forage if you want to boost your levels a bit (Crystal berries make for good wines/jams). But the snow makes it a lot easier to go artifact hunting, and some of the fish you can find are rather useful.

Other than that, horse around. Maybe plant trees for the Summer harvest.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I suggest farming sea cucumbers.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Tired Moritz posted:

I suggest farming sea cucumbers.

What's so great about a nerdy pickle?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
they are used in ~LUCKY LUNCH~ and can only be fished in autumn and winter.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

what about snow makes artifact finding better? I thought the only way was to dig the worms, do they spawn more in the snow or

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
They're easier to see and you get more worms(although it's because part of the winter forage is found in worm tiles, so I'm not sure you actually find more artifacts in winter). That's it, really.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

yeah, more of them pop up.

also I bought the second house upgrade and all of my floors and wallpapers got reset to the default, except my old bedroom wallpaper is now the one panel between the new room and the nursery? I'm glad someone picked up the item spawner mod for... er... whatever version this is so I can fix it, because I don't think that was supposed to happen

e: version 1.1, it was right there!

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
unbelievable

five YEARS on my main guy trying to get a Palm Fossil

make a new character and find one in the very first worm tile I dig up

:suicide: