Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Not pictured: the incredible maintenance schedule required to get that kind of power from a single.

Wouldn't call 10000km's isn't 'incredible'; provided you keep adding oil and the engine doesn't blow up before it gets there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
"Guys! Guys! I have a way of getting three thousand horsepower from a regular old V8!"

"drat! What's the tradeoff?"

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Hahaha.
Daytona is a bike that hates you and wants to make you hurt. You're welcome to it, but please buy a GoPro and wear it at all times. For our amusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qepDZAaNlns

I dunno. I just lowered the clipons on the R3 (flipped them under the triple). It was too comfy of a position for me. Thinking about getting more aggressive rear sets too. Maybe I like the punishment? I sat on the Daytona 675R and I felt it was very comfortable... Never driven one though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
you should get used to saying you "ride" a bike instead of "drive" it before you buy the Daytona

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

you should get used to saying you "ride" a bike instead of "drive" it before you buy the Daytona

Oh like a horsie? I get it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Get the Daytona

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

-A n i m 8- posted:

I dunno. I just lowered the clipons on the R3 (flipped them under the triple). It was too comfy of a position for me. Thinking about getting more aggressive rear sets too. Maybe I like the punishment? I sat on the Daytona 675R and I felt it was very comfortable... Never driven one though.

The newer Daytonas are supposed to be significantly more comfortable than the one I have (2007). You get used to it anyway (for the most part), but I'll still feel it if I go out for a longer ride in the canyons.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Not pictured: the incredible maintenance schedule required to get that kind of power from a single.

You're thinking of the 500, not the 690. 690 has regular maintenance intervals.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You mean the one that's identical to the twin next to it?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

"drat! What's the tradeoff?"
A 1-mile service interval.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

This a million times.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

-A n i m 8- posted:

Oh like a horsie? I get it.

Riding and driving are different, almost completely. If you don't get that and dismiss the suggestion as "like a horsie", it suggests your mind isn't in a place to hop on a legit supersport yet.

You also shouldn't need to ask if you're ready yet. You'll know. If you don't, ride the R3 more.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
why'd you even buy an R3 if you weren't gonna see it through and get good? just insurance fraud it and get a daytona already. and a gopro

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Razzled posted:

why'd you even buy an R3 if you weren't gonna see it through and get good? just insurance fraud it and get a daytona already. and a gopro

Seconding, please get a gopro.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

The carbs are violently disastrous to remove/install and they're a pain in the sack to work on in general. Aside from that just all the usual lovely old bike BS.

Also they eat cams because of oiling problems.
I've seen this personally on a few Honda V4's. Most of the time the owners just scrap the bike because parts are either too expensive or too difficult to find.
And yeah those carbs are a motherfucker to remove and replace. Especially if the carb boots are hard.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yeah, we looked more into it and passed. PO apperantly had it imported as a bike for his wife but something or another made him flip it. Current owner had no service info and hadn't used it at all, and was just pricing it to sell before he moves. It had over 30k miles so it's due for a timing chain change as that was a weakness on them, new oem timing chains are not avaliable. There was at least 3 different kinds of fixes avaliable for the oiling problems, but all 3 are a good bit of work with adding outside the engine oil lines either routed from a high pressure area or a collar you put between the engine and the oil filter and drilling input holes in the upper area of the engine. Yeah, no thanks.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

If anyone is looking for a scooter, someone nearby is selling a 2008 Honda Metro with 128 miles for $1500 negotiable, I'd imagine they'd take a grand. Located in El Segundo (Near LAX)

Via private facebook group, I can get details if wanted. There's also a 2009 Zuma 125 for 1900 negotiable.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 8, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

If anyone is looking for a scooter

:fuckoff:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

It's worth noting that the scooter thread :gay: has more posts than the Harley thread here.

Of course the SV650 thread has more posts than both of those put together, which makes sense since an SV is better than either a Harley or a scooter. :colbert:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I guess in the same sort of way a Camry is better than a Cayman

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ok, looking at an 06 sv650, 15k miles, 2400 bucks. Acceptable for dirt? What's reliability?

There's another one, same year, with 4800 miles for 3400. Better idea?

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 8, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Answers:

- Reasonably packed gravel, yeah, they make tires that help. Mud or trails, lol.
- Good reliability if it hasn't been neglected. Do all the regular maintenance catch up stuff regardless.

- Depends on how much you like money.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
loving kills me that an 06 SV is going for a few hundred less than what I will likely get for an 08 FZ1 in excellent condition

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Acceptable for dirt?

As acceptable for dirt as a VStrom 650, which is to say not much but also just fine for fire roads or non technical stuff. I did similar "off road" on some pretty gnarly terrain on a loaded down EX250 and it was no big deal.

Avon Trailriders and chill.

SV prices have actually risen since I bought mine in 2013. I don't get it. $2400 for a really good one should be fair, but I have fools like these two, instead. Our bike market is actually pretty good, too.

2005 Suzuki SV650 - $3800
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/5833519721.html

2002 SUZUKI SV650 MILITARY EDITION!!! $3000
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/5835229347.html

Get a load of this thing, seriously.

My buddy just paid $1500 for a good condition 07 sv650 with a rebuilt title that turned into a clean title the second he registered it in GA, and I hate him for it.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 9, 2016

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just need it to do lots of washboard as well as freeway.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Well the last CRF I was going to buy got sold a day before I was to go get it.

Is there any reason not to buy this bro'd out bike aside from however much pain in the rear end it will be to remove those awful decals?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5866499731.html
(Also if you were making this more of a trail bike why the hell would you put on bar end mirrors?)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wouldn't buy it based on the bore kit, but that's your call. When people tell me they've been inside the motor I get paranoid.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

BlackMK4 posted:

I wouldn't buy it based on the bore kit, but that's your call. When people tell me they've been inside the motor I get paranoid.

especially on a new bike like that

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

carcinofuck posted:

Well the last CRF I was going to buy got sold a day before I was to go get it.

Is there any reason not to buy this bro'd out bike aside from however much pain in the rear end it will be to remove those awful decals?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5866499731.html
(Also if you were making this more of a trail bike why the hell would you put on bar end mirrors?)

I bet the first guy blew it up, second guy bought it for cheap and put in the big bore kit to fix it.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Thanks. I don't know much but I had that same uneasiness about tinkering inside the engine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

carcinofuck posted:

Thanks. I don't know much but I had that same uneasiness about tinkering inside the engine.

The only thing that really scares me anymore is cam bolts on 80's hondas and zx6r crank/case bolts. The former is guaranteed to gently caress you over and the latter is like Russian roulette.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Coydog posted:

My buddy just paid $1500 for a good condition 07 sv650 with a rebuilt title that turned into a clean title the second he registered it in GA, and I hate him for it.

You tell your buddy he's a rat bastard. I wanted an FI SV650, but then...

I paid $1500 for my '02 S in track-ready condition with a pair of stand and an extra wheel about 6 months ago. Yesterday the PO brought me a medium sized box filled with all kinds of spare cables and levers and even an N top triple if I ever decide to go naked (I really want to but firstgen gauges are hard to find).

If you're patient, vigilant, and keep a wad of cash laying around, you will find some pretty incredible deals.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 10, 2016

Mark David Chapman
Jul 25, 2011
Thinking of picking up this ninja 300 and converting it to a naked. Add is asking 1600$ OBO with only 4.7k miles. He says he laid it down at 25mph. I can get a new OEM rearset for under 100$ or get a cheap pair of annodized ones off ebay. My only issue is not being able to ride it to check for any other mechanical issues. Also the possiblity of the forks being bent worries me.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/5868930190.html

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a 3500-5k bike in your area, without the damage. For such a mild visible amount of damage, why sell it so low? Why not get insurance involved? Are you sure it doesn't have frame scratching? Is the title ok?

I'm so suspicious. If the bike is working fine, but with just the cosmetic fairing and rearset damage, that's a pretty good deal.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yes, that's a good deal.

Mark David Chapman
Jul 25, 2011

Coydog posted:

That's a 3500-5k bike in your area, without the damage. For such a mild visible amount of damage, why sell it so low? Why not get insurance involved? Are you sure it doesn't have frame scratching? Is the title ok?

I'm so suspicious. If the bike is working fine, but with just the cosmetic fairing and rearset damage, that's a pretty good deal.

I'm checking it out today. I am worried that he's not disclosing all damage since what is viable looks pretty light for a 25mph road rash. It is in Vista, which is marine heaven here, so he might just be young with a lot of disposable income and not care too. I'll run the Vin when he gets back to me.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Should I stay away from the 2013 carb'd version of the CRF250L in favor of FI? Or is it not that big a deal?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
EFI is sometimes more convenient. But unless there's some other more fundamental changes to that model between carb and EFI I don't think it's a big deal.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

All proper motorcyclists should experience owning and working on a carbureted vehicle at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

All proper motorcyclists should experience owning and working on a carbureted vehicle at some point.

Cycle Asylum's own hazing technique.