Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

It's insanely cool to go under contract to purchase a house and then 4 days later find out your wife's job is at risk under the Donald loving Trump administration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was in the late stages of trying to get a job with the a regulatory agency.

Hiring freeze = I remain unemployed.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I think this could go either way for federal employees. On one hand for the last 8 years many agencies including my own have been gutted due to reduced budgets and high attrition. Our largest federal pay increase has been around 1.5% and we had three years of pay freezes. My agency in particular has only recently had any kind of significant outside hiring (several hundred positions) in almost 7 years. So, it's not like we had much to lose under the current level of austerity since depending where you are we have already been barely hanging on.

Now that the Republicans have complete control over the system they have no excuses for its performance and can't obstruct the Democrats to prevent adequate funding then claim the government is broken. In a sense I feel like this will encourage them to make adequate funding decisions and hopefully turn the page on how partisan basic things like funding the government have been over the past decade.

However, the worst case scenario would be a cut in compensation combined with a government-wide hiring freeze and/or layoffs. This would also likely be combined with targeting of specific agencies that are not popular with the Republicans and for which there is little to no public/electoral consequence to targeting. Groups like the Heritage Foundation who consistently say that federal employees are significantly overpaid are going to have more sway. Non-law enforcement unions will likely not have much of a place at the table. Personally I don't think it will get this bad because the extremists will be overruled by the more establishment politicians, and they will be focused on things like repealing the ACA and tax reform for quite some time.

In any case in the short term I think we are likely to see another CR and let's just say I'm not planning on making any big purchases until we know what the budget is going to look like.

Edit for a "silver lining" - if many of the Obama administration's regulations are repealed it could actually relieve pressure on some agencies, because frequently these increased regulations were accompanied by a zero or negative change in the budget for implementing or enforcing them.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 11, 2016

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I was hoping to apply for federal positions in Summer of 2018 because I will have NCE. My thoughts are now to reconsider that as my first plan and move it down to third or fourth (or eliminating it entirely). Does anyone have some perspective they would like to offer me on that? A hiring freeze can only last so long right?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

N. Senada posted:

I was hoping to apply for federal positions in Summer of 2018 because I will have NCE. My thoughts are now to reconsider that as my first plan and move it down to third or fourth (or eliminating it entirely). Does anyone have some perspective they would like to offer me on that? A hiring freeze can only last so long right?

You should wait until Summer of 2018 and see what the environment is like as it's far too early to tell what, if anything, will happen

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Thanks, I will see you all again late next year then. Goonspeed, federal employees.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I'm a non union employee in a fee-funded agricultural agency, how large and what shape should the poo poo in my pants be?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

My self interested rear end is just hoping that when the poo poo hits the fan that it grandfathers in current employees and only punishes all future generations of feds. That's what they've done as they ratcheted up pension contributions significantly. I worry about them just slashing across the board, though, reducing GS pay scale by 10% or something.

So much for the occasional 1% annual raises, too. I'm sure that will be part of the attrition plan to "bring federal salaries in line with the private sector."

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I don't think pay slashing for GS levels is going to happen. It's smarter to go after FERS and FEHB first, "bringing them in line with the private sector".

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
https://www.greatagain.gov/news/help-wanted-4000-presidential-appointees.html

Now hiring! Since we didn't think of any of this before!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The current appointee shortlist is like something out of a nightmarish hellscape.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Just found out Monday that there is someone in the DOE that rather likes my resume and would like to interview me for direct hire since I'm eligible for Schedule A(???) so I should be expecting a call soon... yet somehow there has been no call. And last month I had a job interview canceled because the employer (an INL contractor) suddenly had an internal freeze as well.

It was kinda funny trying to explain to my Foxnews Believer grandmother why the nuclear engineer job market actually looks worse than it did last week instead of better, and no there in fact won't just magically be more jobs appearing because the stock market stopped imploding quite so hard for a day or two.

On the other hand, for hardmode reasons my crazybrain double-majored in nuclear and chemical engineering, so even if our new god emperor promised to delete my career at least there is another option, but I can't think of any good jokes about the petroleum industry right now. Can't tell a 90 year old woman "yeah, go suck a pipeline" even if she won't actually hear it.

Where do I apply to sandbag the poo poo out of everything protect the environment with regulations?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I would quit on the spot if told I was being offered an elite position pivotal to the incoming president's agenda. No wait, maybe I would ask if I got to meet him if I took the job, and then take the opportunity to tell him he could not fire me, because I quit :smug: oh wait none of this will ever happen

Man_of_Teflon posted:

let's see how long my agency lasts now!
I am curious about USCIS. Since we are nearly entirely self-funded it seems like nothing can happen, but I have no doubt we will learn just what an executive order can actually get away with very quickly. "No more immigration!" "Uh...O.K., everyone at USCIS go home?"

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

silentsnack posted:

Where do I apply to sandbag the poo poo out of everything protect the environment with regulations?

Well, the EPA isn't going to be there in a few months, and Energy is also going to get shafted I'm sure.

Uh, the Navy I guess? The military is surprisingly green and they provide the pipeline for nuclear energy workers for American energy production. The right position there could do some good?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I hope the new administration helpfully releases a list of everyone who should start looking for a new job soon. I wonder if they could do away with the concept of career appointments?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Quarex posted:

I hope the new administration helpfully releases a list of everyone who should start looking for a new job soon. I wonder if they could do away with the concept of career appointments?

I'm interpreting the appointment of Bannon to indicate that nothing is off the table when it comes to the federal workforce

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I cannot believe he picked the lunatic Bannon. My God. :suicide:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

silentsnack posted:

Just found out Monday that there is someone in the DOE that rather likes my resume and would like to interview me for direct hire since I'm eligible for Schedule A(???) so I should be expecting a call soon... yet somehow there has been no call. And last month I had a job interview canceled because the employer (an INL contractor) suddenly had an internal freeze as well.

It was kinda funny trying to explain to my Foxnews Believer grandmother why the nuclear engineer job market actually looks worse than it did last week instead of better, and no there in fact won't just magically be more jobs appearing because the stock market stopped imploding quite so hard for a day or two.

On the other hand, for hardmode reasons my crazybrain double-majored in nuclear and chemical engineering, so even if our new god emperor promised to delete my career at least there is another option, but I can't think of any good jokes about the petroleum industry right now. Can't tell a 90 year old woman "yeah, go suck a pipeline" even if she won't actually hear it.

I know of a couple of oversight agencies that drool over nuclear/chemE dual majors because they're unicorns. Added bonus is they're not GS payscale so you might have more opportunity to make a nice starting salary and move up based on performance.

I can't pm you though, any way I can reach you?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Blindeye posted:

I know of a couple of oversight agencies that drool over nuclear/chemE dual majors because they're unicorns. Added bonus is they're not GS payscale so you might have more opportunity to make a nice starting salary and move up based on performance.

I can't pm you though, any way I can reach you?

contact info: my sa username at gmail

also: cool, thanks! I've looked at a ton of places and everyone across the board seems to want mechanical/nuclear or electrical/chemical or mechanical/everything for their multidisciplinary frankensteins

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 14, 2016

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I feel so screwed now. Wife was trying to land a fed gig and now my fed gig is in question. We bought a house not too long ago at DC prices which seems to make my situation more screwed if housing prices start to come down. Also I've been jonesing to jump my current position to another fed positions. Looks like I'm stuck. I guess I should be thankful if that's the most of my worries. Will a hiring freeze mean no laterals?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Has Bannon said anything specific about feds, or is it just a general sign of the insanity that has been unleashed?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Trump promised a federal hiring freeze and none of us have any idea of how the gently caress this is going to be implemented.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Rip Testes posted:

I feel so screwed now. Wife was trying to land a fed gig and now my fed gig is in question. We bought a house not too long ago at DC prices which seems to make my situation more screwed if housing prices start to come down. Also I've been jonesing to jump my current position to another fed positions. Looks like I'm stuck. I guess I should be thankful if that's the most of my worries. Will a hiring freeze mean no laterals?

Hiring freezes nearly always allow laterals but you will likely need approval from your current supervisor to move and they won't be thrilled to lose someone with no replacement in sight.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If managers are scared of a hiring freeze, wouldn't they want to hire people in the pipeline like me? :v:

:smith:

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

If managers are scared of a hiring freeze, wouldn't they want to hire people in the pipeline like me? :v:

:smith:

At least from my agency, as well as my husband's, hiring managers are trying to get anything possible done before the inauguration as long as it was already in the budget.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I'm pretty glad I am in a law enforcement position. So hopefully nothing negative comes out of it for us, as it seems trump loves the police, border patrol, etc.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

One word: contractors.

BP/ICE are no more immune to that grinding reality than the DoD was under Bush. Actual officers might not get contracted out, but it's just as likely that any support staff will be.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Which is just further proof that the hiring freeze has nothing to do with reducing spending.

Contractors are ridiculously expensive.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah "fiscal responsibility" is pretty much code for "eliminating things we find generally objectionable that people sort of like." Every contractor at our office definitely gets paid more than our lower GSs, though I suppose yes if every employee took advantage of every single possible benefit they might come out ahead. But uh...yeah. I am sure the 20-year-old GS-5s are really hammering that childcare/elder care/therapy button.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

The contractors in the agency I work for make a lot more than the regular employees, would assume they don't get benefits though.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Yeah, most of the time salary is the only thing. Benefits are usually severely reduced comparatively though for contractors, like crap insurance and lovely retirement accounts and no pension whatsoever. I think that's why a lot of contractors start looking for direct federal employment when they get older, especially when they can parlay experience in to a higher GS level and not take as big of a hit.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Its me. I'm the contractor.

It all boils down to job security. Really though, any day I come to work could be my last and that kind of Damocles Sword isn't something feds even think about.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Seamonster posted:

Its me. I'm the contractor.

It all boils down to job security. Really though, any day I come to work could be my last and that kind of Damocles Sword isn't something feds even think about.

:smugdon:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
A delightfully-timed USCIS Town Hall meeting yesterday featured about 50% questions phrased in various ways that all broke down to "is the incoming president going to fire me?"

The Director is pretty sure there is always so much work that has been paid for that he does not imagine us being devastated by the hiring freeze, so if he is right then clearly everyone should try to move into USCIS for at least four years. Though I am sure there is always a way to ruin things.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.
I'm looking for a job as a wildlife biologist in the Fish and Wildlife Service, how hosed am I?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Catkin posted:

I'm looking for a job as a wildlife biologist in the Fish and Wildlife Service, how hosed am I?

Somewhat? We dont really know how things will play out.

At my agency there is some suggestion now that we could still "backfill" positions during a freeze (ie replace peole who leave), but we are just guessing. Keep applying.

Just saw that EPA is still hiring, so even they are just trucking until someone tells them otherwise. It'd be risky as gently caress to take a job there right now, though...

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 19, 2016

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Basically every agency is hiring if they have the budget space for it. The threat of the hiring freeze has everybody making GBS threads themselves. This goes double for agencies that are most under threat in a right-wing administration.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Must Love Dogs posted:

Basically every agency is hiring if they have the budget space for it. The threat of the hiring freeze has everybody making GBS threads themselves. This goes double for agencies that are most under threat in a right-wing administration.
Haven't heard back from the SEC or PTO, rip the dream.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hopefully the administration will get bogged down in the fact that its very first priority requires a Constitutional Amendment that will never happen and it will never actually get to any of the anti-federal-employees agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Trump has a plan for government workers. They’re not going to like it.

Might have to jump ship to contractor land as this all comes to pass. Had issue today with contractors trying to pass of really poor work as if they were operating under the assumption we weren't bright enough to realize it.

Rip Testes fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 21, 2016