Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
"Slump" is a quality of concrete mixes that is basically the degree to which it will stay still under pressure from gravity. You have trade offs between sculptability and final durability, but you can create concrete mixes that basically act like canned cranberry sauce if you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Contemplating buying a house to get away from this rental horror show and this thread paralyzes me with fear sometimes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah, if you own the house you're free to fix it right. Or wrong. Whatever makes you happy, you're not beholden to anyone but yourself.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah its a wonder that the banks haven't figured out how to put wording into the mortgage contracts about how you can modify/repair your house.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah its a wonder that the banks haven't figured out how to put wording into the mortgage contracts about how you can modify/repair your house.
They've made inroads. Larger insurance checks are cut as two party checks, with one party being the mortgage company so that they can confirm repairs are made to the property.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FogHelmut posted:

Something like the below, you mean?

quote:

Borrower shall not destroy, damage or impair the Property, allow the Property to deteriorate or commit waste on the Property. Whether or not Borrower is residing in the Property, Borrower shall maintain the Property in order to prevent the Property from deteriorating or decreasing in value due to its condition.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

If a tree falls and punches through my roof, I'm running out and getting a tarp before I call the bank. Some repairs need immediate action to prevent them from getting worse.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Nah, if you own the house you're free to fix it right. Or wrong. Whatever makes you happy, you're not beholden to anyone but yourself.

The problem is inheriting hidden disasters, especially if an unscrupulous flipper was the prior owner. Being able to handle your own general maintenance tasks is great. Discovering that that freshly-painted wall is harboring a slow water leak that's turned the entire corner of the room's framing into something resembling chunky oatmeal is not so great.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Buy a new house like I did, then all you have to deal with is the amateur plumbing (drain should go down, not up, toilets should have a shutoff valve that's accessible without removing the house from around the toilet)

Apart from that though honestly it's fantastic, I hated renting when I had to do it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Here is why you use your tools properly and don't hold things in your mouth when building things.
https://gfycat.com/FrailFilthyHare

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Here is why you use your tools properly and don't hold things in your mouth when building things.
https://gfycat.com/FrailFilthyHare

Something about that reaction says this isn't the first time.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I know gfycat picks the url randomly, but that was drat near spot on.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Is this tile as crooked as it seems, or is this some weird optical illusion? Also, that wallpaper ugh.

This is a $500k house.

also:

edited to fix images

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 15, 2016

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

More appropriately, they desperately want it to be a $500k house.

Some of the listings in my area are getting stupidly optimistic about their valuations. Price it at its real value and it's sold the day you list it. These overpriced idiots get stuck sitting on the market for months.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey, really quick about animal antibiotics, in the US you wont be able to get them without prescription from a vet pretty soon, in order to try and cut down on antibiotic resistant infections in livestock. They've been used as a cure-all for decades, and it's really starting to have pretty crappy consequences.

But then what am I going to do next time I get a nasty infection and my finger starts swelling up?

drat nanny state

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ironically, Dr. Dad used to prescribe human antibiotics for our dog when she got sick, because the veterinary ones were so much more expensive (and usually, according to him, discontinued stuff that was no longer approved for human use etc.)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Ironically, Dr. Dad used to prescribe human antibiotics for our dog when she got sick, because the veterinary ones were so much more expensive (and usually, according to him, discontinued stuff that was no longer approved for human use etc.)

I used to make dog scripts out of my people pharmacy all the time :3

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Interestingly, yes, a lot of animal drugs are old human ones. Humans and Animals have different reactions to drugs. Often, older drugs are more thoroughly studied and have much better known effects. Also, research and development for animal medicine lags far, far behind human development, for obvious economic reasons. It does not necessarily mean that those old drugs suck. But it does mean people dumping oxytetracycline on every boo-boo and sniffle are making oxytetracycline resistant bacteria very prolific.

NancyPants posted:

I used to make dog scripts out of my people pharmacy all the time :3

My dog Mulan gets her prozac from Publix. The pharmacy people there know all about her :3:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Interestingly, yes, a lot of animal drugs are old human ones. Humans and Animals have different reactions to drugs. Often, older drugs are more thoroughly studied and have much better known effects. Also, research and development for animal medicine lags far, far behind human development, for obvious economic reasons

Unless you have a pet mouse or rat, in which case they probably have enough drugs to make them immortal

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

If a tree falls and punches through my roof, I'm running out and getting a tarp before I call the bank. Some repairs need immediate action to prevent them from getting worse.

There was a microburst over my neighborhood a few months ago and there are still houses here with trees sticking through the roof/wall, missing sections of roof, and torn off gutters.

It's really disappointing. I'm pretty sure a lot of these homes are owned free and clear and the owner doesn't want to pay for insurance so we get poo poo like this.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Are they inhabited? We have a problem locally where property owners just squat on lots, doing no upkeep on the house or property. They'll rent them out until they're pretty much uninhabitable and then they just sit vacant unless a tree or a fire takes them out.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tunicate posted:

Unless you have a pet mouse or rat, in which case they probably have enough drugs to make them immortal

Not necessarily drugs, but I it looks like simply modifying the DAF-3 gene will do the trick

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

there wolf posted:

Are they inhabited? We have a problem locally where property owners just squat on lots, doing no upkeep on the house or property. They'll rent them out until they're pretty much uninhabitable and then they just sit vacant unless a tree or a fire takes them out.

Yeah they are inhabited.

My area has very high property taxes (millage is about 200 on about 66% of assessed value) and we have point of sale inspections which restrict transfer of ownership based on the condition of the house, so people who paid off their house decades ago are paying 6-10k a year on taxes so they skip insurance, something happens then they can't sell or take out a mortgage and the house falls apart or burns down.

Edit: there are 7 houses in tax foreclosure within 2 blocks of me. One of them went into delinquency when the owner died and the county is going after one of the heirs. The home is worth maybe 120k but has 80k in back taxes and would require a buyer to put up ~20k into escrow with the city to satisfy POS requirements.

Edit2: when these properties go up for sheriffs auction the county is required to set the minimum bid at the delinquent tax amount including penalties and fees. This is often times more than the value of the home. After two failed auctions the home is transferred to a land bank and is then sold to flippers or housing assistance non-profits. It's almost impossible for individuals to participate in the foreclosure auction market here due to the frequent tax delinquency and POS requirement. If you win an auction the city will order a POS inspection and put an escrow requirement on the property before you're allowed to file the deed, then the county can start fining you for failing to take title of the property.

Long story long it's a loving mess.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 15, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kid sinister posted:

Nah, you just park the truck up top and pour it from there. It hardens by the time it reaches the bottom.

Theory checks out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_tower

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Power tools are overrated.

http://i.imgur.com/yvDfVVA.gifv

That's actually pretty impressive.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Power tools are overrated.

http://i.imgur.com/yvDfVVA.gifv

That's actually pretty impressive.

Six foreigners doing the work of one American.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jerry Cotton posted:

But at 1% the cost!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, the dude with the tambourine.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know that the average American weighs *quite* as much as six foreigners, but point taken.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

deoju posted:

Holy poo poo, the dude with the tambourine.

Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man, drive a pile for me...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
BAH GAWD KING, IT'S A 6-MAN PILEDRIVER :bahgawd:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Dagen H posted:

BAH GAWD KING, IT'S A 6-MAN PILEDRIVER :bahgawd:

STOP THE CONSTRUCTION, THAT PILE HAS A FAMILY!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"Good" construction

http://imgur.com/gallery/U9faFNB

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Bahahaha (from MMH)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

edit: nm dumb fake poo poo

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 18, 2016

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Exposed, finished roof beam in a living space.

Somehow, this managed to go unnoticed by the owner.

Meanwhile, we're all trying to figure out how termites made it to the roof of a 3-story building.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PainterofCrap posted:

Exposed, finished roof beam in a living space.

Somehow, this managed to go unnoticed by the owner.

Meanwhile, we're all trying to figure out how termites made it to the roof of a 3-story building.

At first I thought that was a load-bearing pen.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

baquerd posted:

At first I thought that was a load-bearing pen.

It is now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Found under the floor, driven into the original utility step of the garage, while converting a finished garage room back into a garage:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've left snapped bits in things when the alternative is scrapping a piece of otherwise good lumber.