Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Szmitten posted:

It isn't deliberate.

That's a shame. I always thought it was and that the way it gets worse as it goes on was intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's the title of a Harlan Ellison short story, about an alien race which is dumping all of its negative emotions onto humanity and driving us insane in order to create a paradise for themselves.

Oooh fun, something to read.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Gonna be streaming Rebuild 1.11 tonight at 7:00 PM CST at https://cytu.be/r/SuperAnimeWarsZeto

15 minutes out.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

How do I watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. The best version of the TV show, on a modern media format.

Assume I can do it one way or the other, but if I wanted to use the most convenient, high quality, non piracy method... What is it?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

How do I watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. The best version of the TV show, on a modern media format.

Assume I can do it one way or the other, but if I wanted to use the most convenient, high quality, non piracy method... What is it?

Get the Platinum Edition. It's got the four director's cut episodes (and you want those rather than the broadcast versions).

https://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Platinum-Collection/dp/B000767QTA

Not sure if you can find it anywhere for cheaper.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You should just pirate the Japanese blu Ray set because it looks way better and it's free and they haven't made any indication that they'll release a US set

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I literally have Evangelion on VHS. I'm gettin' old.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It's out of print right now and nobody currently has the license. There's so much money on the table that something will eventually budge and someone will relicense it, but until that day comes pirating the blurays is your best bet.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Now... I know what I must do.

I had a friend who owned the complete series on VHS, and people still had VCRs and poo poo (although DVDs were taking over rapidly) last time I watched it, if that gives any indication of how long it's been.

I've seen the new movies, and re-watched bits and pieces since then, but I'm going to try to put all the pieces together from the show, starting at the beginning. I've re-spoiled a lot of stuff that I'd forgotten; looking at those screen caps led me to episode synopses and wiki articles. But I'm going to make an effort to do as cold of a watch as possible.

Eva is basically solved now, I guess, thanks to bonus material from a PSP game or something. But I want to see what exactly I can figure out from just the show itself.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Eva can never be solved.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Eva is like 2001: A Space Odyssey where the book pretty much explains everything. Or in this case, the game and the manga.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Did Anno even have any involvement with the game?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

redsniper posted:

Eva can never be solved.

Eva is something that needs to be solved?

(from the meme thread)

Ak Gara posted:

quote:

It really isn't that complex. Depressed teenager with an Oedipus complex is given the choice of if all of humanity should share a collective consciousness or not. In the end he decides you can't have happiness with out the bad stuff too.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Srice posted:

Did Anno even have any involvement with the game?

Yes. People like to poo-poo it but the stuff in Eva that seems inscrutable (specifically the backstory and techno/religious babble) has pretty much been resolved. You'll enjoy yourself more if you focus on the characters rather than trying to solve the series like a puzzle.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Get the Platinum Edition. It's got the four director's cut episodes (and you want those rather than the broadcast versions).

https://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Platinum-Collection/dp/B000767QTA

Not sure if you can find it anywhere for cheaper.

Holy poo poo I got that for 60 bucks from bestbuy on a whim when I was 17.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Szmitten posted:

Yes. People like to poo-poo it but the stuff in Eva that seems inscrutable (specifically the backstory and techno/religious babble) has pretty much been resolved. You'll enjoy yourself more if you focus on the characters rather than trying to solve the series like a puzzle.

Not really. All the stuff in that game is based on one chat the game's producers had with Anno and a handful of notes he gave them. Sure, maybe that's what he was feeling as an explanation that day, but I think it's silly to treat that explanation as giving any insight as to what the show was about.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I still have old cds laying around with 320x320 RealAudio Player fansubs of the series, Death and Rebirth, and End of Eva that I got in, like, 1998. I remember marathoning the series and getting eye strain (I wonder why). I feel like it's the Eva equivilant of Joseph Smith's golden discs.

That's my old man evangelion story.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I have the non-Platinum box set and the movies somewhere. Hopefully they still work after cooking in a storage unit for several years, because I think it's time for EBay.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Not really. All the stuff in that game is based on one chat the game's producers had with Anno and a handful of notes he gave them. Sure, maybe that's what he was feeling as an explanation that day, but I think it's silly to treat that explanation as giving any insight as to what the show was about.
There is literally nothing in it that's controversial or isn't spelled out or implied in the show already.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Szmitten posted:

There is literally nothing in it that's controversial or isn't spelled out or implied in the show already.

I don't think the show ever spells out or implies that Lilith/Adam are planet-seeders sent by literal space aliens to seed planets with life, or that the angels are just another type of life that the aliens seed some planets with. And I honestly think that explanation takes a lot of the fun out of the mysterious nature of what's going on.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SEELE mentions it in some of the director's cut scenes but the justification for the angel's existence is so ancillary to what makes Eva interesting that it doesn't really matter to me

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah the only thing that ultimately matters about the Angels is that they're big and scary and utterly alien.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think the show ever spells out or implies that Lilith/Adam are planet-seeders sent by literal space aliens to seed planets with life,
#21 re: the Black Moon/Geofront: "A cavern left behind by someone who was not us."

quote:

or that the angels are just another type of life that the aliens seed some planets with.
EoE: "The other Angels are just different possibilities of what we could have become."

quote:

And I honestly think that explanation takes a lot of the fun out of the mysterious nature of what's going on.
I agree that it's ancillary but I don't think it detracts.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Hell, same

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Szmitten posted:

#21 re: the Black Moon/Geofront: "A cavern left behind by someone who was not us."

EoE: "The other Angels are just different possibilities of what we could have become."

I agree that it's ancillary but I don't think it detracts.

Neither of those says aliens specifically though, that's all Im saying. The show leaves open the" a Jesus literally did this" option.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:agreed:

big stupid dorky lava diving suit :3:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

:agreed:

big stupid dorky lava diving suit :3:

me 9PM next thursday:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Neither of those says aliens specifically though, that's all Im saying. The show leaves open the" a Jesus literally did this" option.

There comes a point where the difference between "an immensely powerful and incomprehensible force from another plane of being" and "Jesus" becomes largely semantics.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm more interested in discerning motivations. Specifically... Well, I know if I bring it up in the thread there's going to be some discourse, and I want to see for myself first.

Jesus, this is just a goddamn Japanese cartoon. Why do I gaf. Seriously, though, I'm peacing out of this thread. I'll be back after I've marathoned Eva.

... If there's even a thread left by then..

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NGE is important.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Spiritus Nox posted:

There comes a point where the difference between "an immensely powerful and incomprehensible force from another plane of being" and "Jesus" becomes largely semantics.

yes, this is my point. the mechanical causes of the events of evangelion are ambiguous and could be explained in either way. but the way the show executes it enables you to see something science fictiony or genuinely religious and mystical and enjoy the ambiguity between and blending of the two. the game just goes outright "aliums" and that just takes all the fun and atmosphere out of it to me.

like sure, it could be aliens, but also in 3.33 you have them doing poo poo like opening the gate of whatever-the-gently caress and it's like "this could be an extradimensional portal or a gate to hell, who knows?"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Jesus, this is just a goddamn Japanese cartoon. Why do I gaf. Seriously, though, I'm peacing out of this thread. I'll be back after I've marathoned Eva.

... If there's even a thread left by then..

It's pretty fuckin' ambitious for a cartoon, don't you think?

Also, this thread has been open for three years. Think you've got time to watch a few episodes.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
As long as the earth, sun and moon exist, Eva thread will be there.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I always feel bad for Yui.:smith:

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Shinjobi posted:

Yes, I too feel bad for the lady that committed suicide in front of her son and called it a 'bright future'.

Then peaced out of his life after it all went to poo poo without so much as a 'by your leave'.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shinjobi posted:

theres a strong argument that shes a devious mastermind who laid a whole other plot into motion that is controlling all the other characters even after her death and they don't even know it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Evangelion is a story of a boy being utterly utterly hosed by his awful parents breaking the world through ambition and nihilism and then not so much as giving him a vague notion of how to cope with any of it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Yui's "muh reminder that humanity exists" involves making it extinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zeruel posted:

Yui's "muh reminder that humanity exists" involves making it extinct.

Nah. SEELE's plan as-intended might have done, but it was Yui (and Shinji's) intervention specifically that let anyone who wanted to come back, come back. She threaded the needle, basically.