Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
i can't figure out how to
This poll is closed.
remove 69 3.49%
the 420 21.24%
poll 1488 75.27%
Total: 1977 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
mum is coping well with my weird mourning period because she was driving around america with our rajneesh cousin when osho died in 1990 and has an example of the same sort of grief to compare me to, and apparently she was basically catatonic for the rest of the holiday so i'd have to lose it pretty badly to outdo her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
except in this case the religious movement only has one member, me

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
definitely not badger of basra. that wretch

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
my favorite memory of leonhard cohen is none other than his cameo in the movie "shrek"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Avshalom posted:

please understand i signed a covenant with the almighty word

This reminds me of that part of the Bible when Abraham was about to poo poo in his son's mouth and God dispatched an angel to be all like "psych!"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The ideology eater posted:

oh my god gently caress this poo poo

the show she did the day after the election she did a bit where she was listing good things in the world to be thankful for and which bring us happiness and one of them was lin-manuel miranda rapping

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Swan Oat posted:

my favorite memory of leonhard cohen is none other than his cameo in the movie "shrek"

i was gonna say something about song to the siren but turns out tim buckley wrote it

i mean really it was a 33% chance of getting that, either buckley, cohen, or loudon wainwright

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Avshalom posted:

leonard cohen's sheer dignity and enduring unflinching delight with the world and all creation in the face of his long-impending death will remain with me hopefully until it's my time to go

i spent my free time this summer smoking and drinking with travelling folks and we'd sit up late in a little shelter (tourist info booth by a rest stop bathroom) singing rebel music to one dudes scratched up droid phone's mp3s

imagine some old and young peeps singing cohen's 'the future' and DK's 'holiday in cambodia' at the top of our lungs in a national forest rest stop and talking about lyndon larouche for some reason

and chemtrails, one drat idiot just wouldn't stop about chemtrails

others were planning an insurrection and telling me about a cache of weapons in TX and good hiding spots on the roads thereto

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
mum's ex who tried to raise me claimed to like cohen but "the future" was the only cohen song he actually liked, and it was only because it's 100% dark and negative with no sweetness whatsoever, just like him

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i can't name a favourite but my top 10 favourites in no particular order are:

born in chains
steer your way
if it be your will, obviously
did i ever love you (probably the sweetest and loveliest variation on the age old theme of "old jewish guy yells at g-d")
dance me to the end of love (live version, various positions had some of the most beautifully-written stuff of his career but the production was atrocious)
the old revolution (lmao see above, who the hell told him he needed mouth-harp accompaniment to an entire album, was it his own choice? it's like it was a joke that someone left in the final recording by accident)
take this waltz, which he delivers like a kiss to a lover (federico garcia lorca)
anthem, obviously
closing time lol it's a loving hoedown and i love it
last year's man
night comes on
amen
the faith
this live version of lullaby off old ideas that has totally different lyrics about dying and it's incredibly beautiful but it's not on spotify and i can't find it anywhere and now i can't find the cd so maybe my father played a weird joke on me and recorded it himself, i don't know, my dad's kind of an alien
you want it darker, holy poo poo
treaty, holy poo poo :unsmith:
take this longing
hey, that's no way to say goodbye
joan of arc
stories of the street
you got me singing
if i didn't have your love :unsmith: :unsmith:

i can't pick 10 go away

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hashem must have missed him so much while he was in the world

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
beautiful, beautiful, beautiful man

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
to shine some light on how my family see me, they're all pleasantly surprised at how well i'm coping with leonard cohen's death. except for my father, who withdrew from all irl and social media contact immediately after the death and has not been seen since by anyone except his de facto wife

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
how does uspol keep attracting dumber and dumber posters

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i would kill each and every one of you to bring leonard cohen back to life

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
...except for maybe rotd, rodatose, sharkie and a few others idk

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
okay i want to revise that statement. i would kill myself to bring leonard cohen back to life

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i do genuinely believe i'd do it. satan if you're reading this. please, please

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
drat it he was working on an r&b album don't deny us this

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
his eyes and my eyes were exactly the same shape :unsmith:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

dylan rules

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

dont kill yourself or anyone else please, thank you

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

im only two seasons into the sopranos but im starting to think this tony fella isnt a very good father, or indeed guy at all

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Swan Oat posted:

dont kill yourself or anyone else please, thank you
haha no, i have only zen and gentle psychoses

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

psalms, own

quote:

150 Praise ye the Lord! Praise God in His sanctuary; praise Him in the firmament of His power!
2 Praise Him for His mighty acts; praise Him according to His excellent greatness!
3 Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet; praise Him with the psaltery and harp!
4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; praise Him with stringed instruments and organs!
5 Praise Him upon the loud cymbals; praise Him upon the high sounding cymbals!
6 Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord! Praise ye the Lord!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

quote:

Praise Him with the timbrel and dance

Note: not a stage direction for born again churches, don't

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
if i could curse myself with anything it would be the ability to speak only in psalms

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Avshalom posted:

if i could curse myself with anything it would be the ability to speak only in psalms

how was your day?

I will take no bullock out of thy house, nor hegoats out of thy folds.
For every beast of the forest is Mine and the cattle upon a thousand hills.
know all the fowls of the mountains, and the wild beasts of the field are Mine.
If I were hungry I would not tell thee, for the world is Mine and the fullness thereof.
Will I eat the flesh of bulls, or drink the blood of goats?

i see

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
that's basically how i answer when people at work ask me casually how i am

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

yeah i had to find a psalm with fowl

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
when i heard that leonard cohen had died and none of my workmates knew who he was i paraded up and down the hallway weeping and yelling "I AM A ROSE AMONGST THORNS", and they're all engineers and so extremely strange that none of them batted an eyelid

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i no longer care about conforming to social norms. gently caress them. my prophet is dead. i'm the prophet now.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

i'd buy the album

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlAeD_LTIxc

this is kidn of a psalm

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Avshalom posted:

i do genuinely believe i'd do it. satan if you're reading this. please, please

trent reznor arranged the soundtrack for natural born killers with two cohen tracks

he might have an in with the dark lord, considering he got an oscar for the social network

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

this is the justification churches use when they install fifty grand pa systems

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Avshalom posted:

...except for maybe rotd

:blush:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Goddamn it, Scotland. Stop trying to obstruct the will of the people by legal trickery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

The very worst thing about living in a hot climate is that you get so used to the summer that as soon as it grows cool, you feel like it's an arctic blast

• Locked thread