Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Fable The Lost Chapters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Steam is having an awards thing and 'Best Use of a Farm Animal' is one of the categories, are there even any other games that qualify?

dragon's dogma in which you can climb cows

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Steam is having an awards thing and 'Best Use of a Farm Animal' is one of the categories, are there even any other games that qualify?

Overlord.

"Bad Sheepy!"

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Worms Armageddon

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Paul.Power posted:

Worms Armageddon

This answer.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Just Cause 3.

(At least there's something it qualifies for. :laugh:)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Payday 2 also has a goat simulator heist so it's in there too if GoatS is

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Undertale for that one.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Divide By Sheep

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

The Stardew Valley wiki is blocked at work. It's springtime again, I got poo poo to plan!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TequilaJesus posted:

The Stardew Valley wiki is blocked at work. It's springtime again, I got poo poo to plan!

Use google to search what you are looking for, then read the google cache of the page.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bring a bunch of food into the tech department and casually mention how nice it would be it this domain was whitelisted

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Epic High Five posted:

Bring a bunch of food into the tech department and casually mention how nice it would be it this domain was whitelisted

i did this at my last job only it was beer instead of food

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Fallout 4. You use Brahmin poo poo to make jet.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Coolguye posted:

i did this at my last job only it was beer instead of food

We are not complicated people, in the basement tech dungeon. We are easily and happily bribed

I do tech stuff at a business school and share this secret with as many MBA students as I can

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I've finally picked this up and had a few minutes to play before I had to head out during the day. Now I'm about to restart with a new farm and I'm simply curious if there's any of the different farms that can be considered more useful than the others?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I've finally picked this up and had a few minutes to play before I had to head out during the day. Now I'm about to restart with a new farm and I'm simply curious if there's any of the different farms that can be considered more useful than the others?

Most useful is Forest Farm. It regenerates stumps that you can chop up to get hardwood, I think it has a lot more opportunity for foraging, and the ponds have a tiny bit of fish in them as opposed to mountains of Broken CDs.

Wilderness is on the opposite end of the spectrum. It's just inconvenient but not so inconvenient that it turns around and makes it interesting.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sometimes I wish I had set up on river farm so I had good fishing on site,

But ya forest farm is where it's at with the on site hardwood. Secret woods also has regenerating stumps but is a walk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also, you get a shitload more berries from the forest farm. Like, 200 more per season's harvest. Useful for tossing in barrels when you don't have anything else to put in them or as food when you're just starting out, especially once you've gotten the Botanist foraging perk.

At this point with nearly 300 hours in the game played, I'd say the three things I'd change/ask for are this:

make Fector's Challenge an in-game achievement only, not a steam achievement, because it is counter to everything else the game stands for

make bushes removable, why can we chop down trees but can't remove That One loving Bush that blocks you from building in a convenient spot

have a cave-style mysterious forest that is randomly generated and is for wood and such as the cave is for mining and ore

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You can chop down bushes, though. You just need iron or gold axes.

I'm presuming you mean the ones on the farm.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Epic High Five posted:

There's a bunch of protocol behind doing this at my shop so this won't work.

Hell, I would be happy if they unblocked poo poo that had a good business reason behind it instead of ignoring us when we ask on behalf of users. Management gets pretend they're secure and us desktop support guys have to get all the heat from the users and management from all the tickets we can't close quickly due to their obstructionist bullshit.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Everyone else has probably figured this out already, but in a no-Pierre/Joja run, I found a great way to get Mixed Seeds.

Level 81 of the mines has a ton of grass on it and it's easy to keep respawning it.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MrSlam posted:

Most useful is Forest Farm. It regenerates stumps that you can chop up to get hardwood, I think it has a lot more opportunity for foraging, and the ponds have a tiny bit of fish in them as opposed to mountains of Broken CDs.

I played my first save pre-maps and my new save is Forest, and I'm definitely a fan of it. The classic map is great if you're someone who can actually use and manage all of that farming space while also leaving the map often to do your foraging/fishing and somehow get anything done in a day ever, but I'm lazy and most of that open farm land went completely to waste. :v: Forest farm gives a still-reasonable amount of farming space, infinite amounts of hardwood and some free forage crap right in your yard, plus free mixed seeds that pop up among the weeds which is just 100% profit if you accept that what you'll get is random. I used them a lot my first year and some in my second year, supplementing the specific things I actually needed to grow for bundles and stuff. That money goes towards building/animal/tool investments instead. :toot:

You can also plant any kind of tree and place farm buildings on the "unusable" patches of land, so the only way you're really penalized is having a slightly smaller sprinkler kingdom. And yeah, you can get some fish, and it has more crab pot space than the default map. So I'd say forest is the "jack of all trades map for casuals" map, I love it.

Fishing map seems like it'd be fun for a gimmick playthrough after you've really gotten tired of dealing with more than the bare minimum of crops. The others don't seem worth it at all.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

mushroom_spore posted:

You can also plant any kind of tree and place farm buildings on the "unusable" patches of land, so the only way you're really penalized is having a slightly smaller sprinkler kingdom.

I've been wondering about that! I have an orchard of fruit trees that are all carefully placed in the yellow dirt cause I was afraid they wouldn't grow.

I'm hoping a future patch releases rice patties you can grow on the River Farm.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I took a huge break from the game and my first farm was the default as there were no other options on launch. My current farm is the river which is great for fishing.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MrSlam posted:

I've been wondering about that! I have an orchard of fruit trees that are all carefully placed in the yellow dirt cause I was afraid they wouldn't grow.

I admit I haven't actually tested every single tree, but all the wild trees do and I have both of the springtime fruit trees up next to my house on grass-tile ground. So it seems like anything that doesn't need the watering can enabled (or any other type of interaction with a dirt tile) is good to go.

MrSlam posted:

I'm hoping a future patch releases rice patties you can grow on the River Farm.

I would really like this, and/or some sort of fish hatchery. That seems like the main drawback of the fishing map, that it gives up a lot of space for something that makes no actual difference whether it's one tiny pond or a big river's worth of space; it's all just squares you can stand next to to play the same fishing minigame with improved loot. You can have hundreds of crab pots, I guess, but that's way more boring than the variety of stuff you get/can do with the "sacrificed" space on the forest farm.

A fish hatchery would also be good because that map looks godawful for grass, too. So maybe the other maps could fit 1-2 hatcheries depending on their ponds, and the fishing map could fit tons of them. That would own. :toot:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 26, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
It would be cool if the river farm had different fish spawns, like if you caught river fish in some areas and lake fish in others (like the tiles off the dock or w/e)

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

mushroom_spore posted:

I would really like this, and/or some sort of fish hatchery. That seems like the main drawback of the fishing map, that it gives up a lot of space for something that makes no actual difference whether it's one tiny pond or a big river's worth of space; it's all just squares you can stand next to to play the same fishing minigame with improved loot. You can have hundreds of crab pots, I guess, but that's way more boring than the variety of stuff you get/can do with the "sacrificed" space on the forest farm.

A fish hatchery would also be good because that map looks godawful for grass, too. So maybe the other maps could fit 1-2 hatcheries depending on their ponds, and the fishing map could fit tons of them. That would own. :toot:

Fish hatcheries would rock!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I really like the layout/aesthetics of the hilltop farm, I have to admit. So far the only problem I've really had has been when trees fall into the river after getting chopped down, but that hasn't been enough of a downer to bring me to the abandonment stage.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It would be cool if the river farm had different fish spawns, like if you caught river fish in some areas and lake fish in others (like the tiles off the dock or w/e)

Yeah I was kind of disappointed with that. I hoped to somehow get different fish than what you get in town and in the forest.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wish you could plant bushes. I want to do the regular map and turn it into a giant hedge maze.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

You can catch woodskips in the Woodlands farm lake :yayclod:

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Implying that you're not nominating Stardew for the 5 more minutes award...

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Sono posted:

Implying that you're not nominating Stardew for the 5 more minutes every award...

There we go

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

You can only do one award per game.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I just had a dream and I think I know how to unlock the hidden whaling minigame in Stardew Valley.

First off go to the abandoned flooded mall beneath town and be sure to have an Octopus. You may have to kill a shark or two, but get to the section that has giant squids. Lure a giant squid over to you with the octopus. For some reason this gives you full control over the giant squid. Use the left mouse button to fling your tentacles at the monsters. You can now hunt other giant squid for more octopus. It's also pretty good for killing sharks.

When you're done messing around head to the bigger flooded section. You have to kill all the sharks without dying to get the whale to appear. It takes a lot of hits and it'll start fighting back. You have to dodge its tail and power slams, weaving in and out, but after a while it'll go down. Make it to shore and exit the giant squid and the dead whale will appear within arm's reach. I was able to drag the whale further onto the shore but I can't find the right tool to cut it open for its whale oil. I tried the scythe, I tried the axe, I tried the sword. I was about to leave and go to bed but what if the whale didn't appear the next day? It's not like I can put the whale corpse in my inventory. Does anyone know how to get whale oil?

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

MrSlam posted:

Does anyone know how to get whale oil?

When you use the sword you should get whale blubber, which you need to render down to oil in your kitchen.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

MrSlam posted:

I just had a dream and I think I know how to unlock the hidden whaling minigame in Stardew Valley.

First off go to the abandoned flooded mall beneath town and be sure to have an Octopus. You may have to kill a shark or two, but get to the section that has giant squids. Lure a giant squid over to you with the octopus. For some reason this gives you full control over the giant squid. Use the left mouse button to fling your tentacles at the monsters. You can now hunt other giant squid for more octopus. It's also pretty good for killing sharks.

When you're done messing around head to the bigger flooded section. You have to kill all the sharks without dying to get the whale to appear. It takes a lot of hits and it'll start fighting back. You have to dodge its tail and power slams, weaving in and out, but after a while it'll go down. Make it to shore and exit the giant squid and the dead whale will appear within arm's reach. I was able to drag the whale further onto the shore but I can't find the right tool to cut it open for its whale oil. I tried the scythe, I tried the axe, I tried the sword. I was about to leave and go to bed but what if the whale didn't appear the next day? It's not like I can put the whale corpse in my inventory. Does anyone know how to get whale oil?

Emily Gilmore's impact

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Woo, Water Obelisk. Now I can get all my crabpot shenanigans done in one round trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Two things, the first fortunately was more funny than harmful and I screencapped it:

cat's sleeping in front of the door and I can't reach my bed

The other one was less funny - while in the two heart event with Abigail where she asked me to help her beat the first level of Raiders of the Lost Farm or whatever it's called I died and spawned inside her character which made it impossible to move!