Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Is there a reason a house would have two smoke detectors right next to each other? We assumed one was a carbon monoxide detector and one was a smoke detector, but they're both just smoke detectors as we discovered when we went to replace the batteries. These are the only two smoke detectors in the house and the only carbon monoxide detector we have is the one I bought while trying to figure out a rational explanation for our house ghost.

I'm guessing this is illegal (I thought you needed a smoke detector in each room) but it's a rental so idgaf, just curious as to why we have two functional detectors right next to each other.

Also one makes the most annoying noise when it's low on battery, it's not the standard chirp it sounds like a tiny clown car honk in my ceiling. We spent several hours going "what the gently caress was that?!" till we pinpointed the noise to our detector cluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There are two different ways smoke detectors work, so it's possible you might have one of each?? But still bizarre.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
:10bux: says your building code specifies two smoke detectors in each unit

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've had frames before that claimed to be both 8x10" and 20x25cm (which aren't the exact same). Naturally my 8x10" prints needed to be razorbladed before they went in. Cheap frames suck, but getting stuff framed properly is an expensive business.

Is it ever! I'm american but live in Brussels, and last weekend while brocanting (yardsales/markets) me and the GF found a great old lithography--beautiful, from 1806, only 50e. The passe-partout/frame was junk, however, and today we priced out getting it redone/framed properly... between 300-1000e.

nielsm posted:

What kind of frame is it? Thick? Wide? Just a backing and clamped in front? Metal, plastic or wood?
Will the print literally not come into the back of the frame after removing the backing?

Consider if you would be better off mounting the print in a larger frame with a matting (passe-partout) around. When I buy regular discount frames they often come with a mat that fits a "one size smaller" print. E.g. a 60x50 cm frame may come with a 50x40 cm mat.

Anyway, the question that I was asking about is simpler than the setup above, it's just a simple metal frame for a photo--from Yellow Korner, a EU photo prints place. No need to mess around with a passe-partout for this particular project. I got the frames from there to match two others we already had, but ran into this sizing issue. It's a simple setup so I don't think there's any way I'm missing to make them fit--the extra .75cm width on the print can't go anywhere, and makes them bow out.

I'm guessing that since these frames are from a specialized place like that, usually used for their own branded pictures, they're just quirky and a tiny bit smaller.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Problem! posted:

Is there a reason a house would have two smoke detectors right next to each other? We assumed one was a carbon monoxide detector and one was a smoke detector, but they're both just smoke detectors as we discovered when we went to replace the batteries. These are the only two smoke detectors in the house and the only carbon monoxide detector we have is the one I bought while trying to figure out a rational explanation for our house ghost.

I'm guessing this is illegal (I thought you needed a smoke detector in each room) but it's a rental so idgaf, just curious as to why we have two functional detectors right next to each other.

Also one makes the most annoying noise when it's low on battery, it's not the standard chirp it sounds like a tiny clown car honk in my ceiling. We spent several hours going "what the gently caress was that?!" till we pinpointed the noise to our detector cluster.

Sounds like one of them is a ghost detector and if its honking... well you have a ghost problem. Sorry to hear the bad news.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Sounds like one of them is a ghost detector and if its honking... well you have a ghost problem. Sorry to hear the bad news.

Ah poo poo :smith:

:ghost:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Problem! posted:

Ah poo poo :smith:

:ghost:

Could be smoke, could be ghosts.

Better call the fire inspectre.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Some codes/inspectors require battery operated smoke detectors in case the power goes out, and some require hard wired smokes in case the battery dies, it's possible that you have one of each adjacent to each other because of a change in code or inspector.

If you are in a small place (1 or 2 br apartment) I wouldn't worry too much about the placement of it as long as it works. If you are in some kind of palatial estate, I would probably invest :10bux: of my own money to put in an extra one in the sleeping areas. For what it's worth, I buy the ten-year sealed-battery ones and write the date in permanent marker on the outside of it.

Edit: it is impossible for me to get a :10bux: without first typing :tenbux:, and then editing it to :tenbucks:, and then performing a google search to get :10bux:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

They're both battery operated and not hard wired, it's a 3 bedroom 2000 sq ft single family home. They're both located at the top of the stairs to the second level, there are none in the kitchen and living areas and none in the basement where the furnace is.

I've contacted the landlord before about other questionably dangerous stuff, most notably a tree that will assuredly drop a huge branch on our fence and shed next big storm, only to be met with silence. I guess I can go get my own set of detectors and see if I can get the landlord to reimburse me for them.

Edit: I did some googling and the city's fire department suggests to follow the general "one detector in each bedroom, at least one on each level near living areas, kitchens, and furnaces" guidelines but I haven't found it in an actual fire code yet.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 6, 2016

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Turkey Farts posted:

What kind of destruction on that level could I possibly do where my deposit is still as important as the monster insurance claim you will be filing?

Renters liability insurance will not cover negligence. The landlord will not be able to make a claim against your insurance if you flood it or set it on fire and cause malicious damage.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

photomikey posted:

I rented a 12 bedroom house on the beach this summer to the tune of $2500/night

Please cry more about how hard is it to be a landlord when you're dumping more than my monthly salary on renting one night's access to a beach house.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Problem! posted:

A CO warner on the ceiling won't do you any good.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Please cry more about how hard is it to be a landlord when you're dumping more than my monthly salary on renting one night's access to a beach house.
Yeah. Solo. I stayed in a 12 bedroom house by myself. I didn't split it with 25 other people so that the cost was $100/night. You know, what a hotel room costs.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

A CO warner on the ceiling won't do you any good.

The one I have plugs into an outlet so it's about a foot off the ground :)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm moving next month and need to get a bed. This will be the second bed I've ever bought but the first was a cheap futon which I sold ages ago. I went to the stores today and think I know what I want but want to make sure I'm making the right call. Any tips?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Red_Fred posted:

I'm moving next month and need to get a bed. This will be the second bed I've ever bought but the first was a cheap futon which I sold ages ago. I went to the stores today and think I know what I want but want to make sure I'm making the right call. Any tips?

In my similarly limited experience mattresses are about the most subjective furniture item you can buy, so just lay on em and find out. Only real advice I can offer that i've learned is that softer doesn't necessarily equal better

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Costco carries one mattress, and like anything Costco carries it's a great value - and maybe a little above middle of the road in quality. I think it was in the $400 range.

I needed a bed for the guest bedroom and looked at some of the online mattress places that have been getting a lot of press. After a fair amount of research I went with Tuft and Needle ($600) and it's a really comfortable mattress. No regrets. Phenomenal customer service, and it comes right to your door. 100 day free trial. If you don't like it they have somebody come hump it out of your house and take it away.

Mattresses stores are commission based and therefore high pressure. It is easy to go in looking at the $300 model that was in the newspaper ad and get upsold to the $3000 model. Mattresses have a lot of smoke-and-mirrors to them. Beware.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I've always gone to a local mattress store and didn't have any issues with that. I was also upfront about what I was looking for. I never got anything super fancy, but the most I've ever spent on a queen mattress was $250, including delivery.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm not looking for specific recommendations or anything as I'm not in the US. More interested in the technology and stuff (latex, memory foam etc.)

The memory foam one I tried felt amazing but it was twice the price of the more normal ones.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Red_Fred posted:

I'm not looking for specific recommendations or anything as I'm not in the US. More interested in the technology and stuff (latex, memory foam etc.)

The memory foam one I tried felt amazing but it was twice the price of the more normal ones.

spend the money, you won't regret it

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

I have heard from multiple sources that the memory foam ones retain heat like a motherfucker.

If you sleep hot, stay the gently caress away.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I sleep on a thin futon and my back has never felt better.

e: this one but I payed a lot less https://www.amazon.com/Futon-Furnit...79103113&sr=1-4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanatosian posted:

I have heard from multiple sources that the memory foam ones retain heat like a motherfucker.

Confirm that. Even if you don't normally think you sleep hot, be especially wary if you're heavyset, it just makes the warm foam that much more smothering.

Those Sleep Number mattresses are probably too expensive for what they are, but I'm very happy with my queen size one. Funny that an air bed would be more comfortable than any spring or foam mattress I've tried before, but I guess the sleep numbers are rather beefier than your average camping inflatable mattress :v:

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Also mattress toppers exist, both memory foam and down. We have a very firm spring mattress (or whatever you call a normal mattress with springs inside) and a down mattress topper, it's heavenly. It looks like an fitted sheet with an extra thick top layer.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Thanatosian posted:

I sleep hot and have never had this issue, and I lived in AZ for awhile. I was really concerned about it before I got one but it's never come up. Just comfortable magic.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think the key to surviving sleeping hot and a latex or memory foam mattress is to have some cool sheets like tencel or something. I sleep pretty hot but sleeping sheetless or lightly covered keeps my body temperature regulated enough.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

George H.W. oval office posted:

I think the key to surviving sleeping hot and a latex or memory foam mattress is to have some cool sheets like tencel or something. I sleep pretty hot but sleeping sheetless or lightly covered keeps my body temperature regulated enough.

This is exactly what the bed guy said. He also said that using full cotton mattress protector makes things cooler as it breathes better.

I think I'm not going to go with the memory foam as it's too much for a Queen size bed. Will get memory foam when I buy a King sometime in the future.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What are people's general experiences with places like City Furniture, Rooms 2 Go, Ashley, Badcock's etc like? I'm presuming most of it is all around the same quality, 'sourced from China', stuff. We bought a pair of sofas and a TV stand from Ashley back a few months ago and other than crappy delivery guys who caused a bit of damage, the stuff seems to be holding up OK. We're aware this is stuff isn't going to last a lifetime or anything, but hopefully will get our moneys worth. We're thinking of getting a queen bedroom set from one of them, decking our master out with it and putting the bed itself into our spare room for guests and then getting a better quality king bed for ourselves from Haverty's or similar (seems better quality on first inspection at least, and we'd like the bed to have a decent lifespan). Any major warning flags with this?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Bought a sofa/loveseat combo from one of those 'sourced from China' places 8 years ago when I bought my first home, figured it would get me through 2-3 years even if it was ugly by the end. Eight years later, it's still comfortable and looks good (but is worn). This is not the kind of stuff you would re-upholster (and at 8 years, it's getting to be re-upholster time), so it'll probably end up given away here soon, but I really feel like I got my thousand bucks out of the set.

We also have a dining room table and chairs from the same place. FWIW I broke one of the cross members on the dining room chairs six months in, called to complain, and they sent out a new one. So if your delivery guys dinged stuff up... at least voice it.

I have nicer furniture (solid oak stuff) that is a similar age that is also worn. (As happens to stuff after a decade.) To get it re-finished will cost me about what a new 'sourced from China' piece would cost. So if cost is your only concern, I would actually prefer the China stuff.

My grandma passed last year and had some heirloom furniture. Beautiful stuff that I grew up having Christmas and Thanksgiving gatherings on. Solid hardwood. She left behind 3 kids, 8 adult grandkids and several great grandkids. Nobody wanted the stuff. It's a weird style. We couldn't sell it on Craigslist and the consignment place wouldn't take it. Donated it to the Goodwill. This is the kind of furniture you would spend months' salary on.

Doesn't say much for our society, but the China stuff is kinda your best bet right now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks! Yeah apart from scratching the poo poo out of our door getting it in (I'll admit it's a really awkward place to get something big in), after they delivered it I found one of the metal parts of the frame is a bit bent, and if you're sitting with your weight in one direction it clips it when you recline. At some point I'll flip it over and gently try and reshape it. We have the warranty thing that might cover it, but I get the feeling they fight tooth and nail on that stuff. At least it converts to store credit if it's not used after it expires, which is something.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Most of my furniture is from places like that, I got a really good deal on a bedroom set during the Roomstore's going out of business sale and it's still kickin' 4 years and 4 moves later. I did end up with a leg broken off my dresser one move but we fixed it with some wood glue and it's good as new.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

but I get the feeling they fight tooth and nail on that stuff.
I assumed the same, but I found that mine was more of a "follow the process" than fight tooth and nail. I mean, I paid $75 for a chair that probably cost them $35, and I wanted a replacement, but they wanted to send a guy out to inspect it first. I argued, but they insisted. So we make an appointment in a couple of weeks and the guy comes out and goes...yep, it's broken. And then he makes an appointment for a delivery a few weeks later. It took a couple of trips over a month or two, but they never gave me poo poo, just kept making me fill stuff out and call people, but the process was pretty clear and they made good on it. They just want you to jump through hoops because they probably save a few $35 chairs that way.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Anybody got any tips about how to remove paint from my new couch? The delivery guys spent about an hour wrestling this thing into my living room and when they finished there were some spots where the dried paint from my walls rubbed off onto the couch. The couch is a heavy tweed material made from 60% poly/20% linen/20% cotton, if that matters.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Perhaps I'm the rear end in a top hat here, but I'd call the furniture store back and have them come out and fix it.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

What are people's general experiences with places like City Furniture, Rooms 2 Go, Ashley, Badcock's etc like? I'm presuming most of it is all around the same quality, 'sourced from China', stuff. We bought a pair of sofas and a TV stand from Ashley back a few months ago and other than crappy delivery guys who caused a bit of damage, the stuff seems to be holding up OK. We're aware this is stuff isn't going to last a lifetime or anything, but hopefully will get our moneys worth. We're thinking of getting a queen bedroom set from one of them, decking our master out with it and putting the bed itself into our spare room for guests and then getting a better quality king bed for ourselves from Haverty's or similar (seems better quality on first inspection at least, and we'd like the bed to have a decent lifespan). Any major warning flags with this?

With Ashley at least it is very much YMMV. I have seen plenty of cases where a 6 month old couch is noticeably sagging in the middle, bonded leather wearing away, frame cracks when moving. I would avoid the bonded leather for a sofa and go with cloth for the cheaper ones. The actual leather is ok, but if you are spending that much I would go with la-z-boy, flexsteel, ethan allen, or something else with a long lasting frame. If they try to sell you a furniture warranty don't buy it, it's a waste of money and a borderline scam. If you are going with a SO, make sure you are on the same page with overall budget and not buying any warranties. You can negotiate on the price for everything. Even if it is the one time only black friday sale, they will come down on the price. These stores generally have pushy sales people.

Also I would not buy a mattress from a cheap furniture store. Haverty's looks like a nice place but I have no experience with them. Get a mattress at costco, or online, or a mattress store after reading reviews and knowing what you want before you go in.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My previous mattress was from Ikea, my current one is from Casper. I got the latter because I didn't want to have to go to Ikea again and wanted something to last longer than the 5 years the Ikea did. I've been happy with both purchases, and the Casper is ridiculously comfortable.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
My next move I'm getting a Casper or equivalent. Purple is advertised all over Facebook for me and I like the idea of not being directly on the mattress. We slept on a foam mattress at my in-laws and I slept like a goddamned baby every night not waking up every time a dog got on or off the bed or my girlfriend rolled over.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any recommendations for a vacuum cleaner? Small, handheld, bag-less and powerful is preferred. Looking at Sweethome they recommend Hoover Air or Dyson V6, both of those are pretty drat expensive where I am though (not in the US).

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HFDLCK

https://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-9595A-Vacuum-OnePass-Corded/dp/B00AZBIZTW/

Both goon-approved vacuums in the $70 range. I have had the first one for eight years, no complaints. I actually didn't own a shop vac most of that time so this particular unit also vac'd up sawdust and screws and dead cockroaches from rental properties for most of that time as well. I don't know what $70 translates to in your local currency or if they even sell these in Elbonia, but I recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm not totally sure what to do in my current situation. I'm dealing with two cases of water damage at once in my apartment and I don't really have a place to just gently caress off to while a second round of dehumidifiers are here.

20 days ago there was a leak in the roof from where the dishwasher in the unit above leaked/failed. Turns out it was enough water to sneak through a bulkhead and down into the floor, and the floor was ripped up and we ended up having two dehumidifiers and two fans running for a week to dry it out. I still have no idea how far along insurance is for getting a new floor, but since its laminate they'll have to replace the whole floor. I guess.

This morning my boyfriend stepped out of bed into sopping wet carpet. Phoned the building maintenance, they sent out a contractor to rip out the wet poo poo and dowse the wound with anti-fungal/anti-microbial stuff right away. It was rainwater leaking in through the siding outside and enough to get some mold on the baseboard. Now I have a least 4 days of dehumidifier/fans in the bedroom. Probably going to move the mattress into the living room and camp out.

I'm frustrated and my landlords have no idea what to offer us for the headache? What would be appropriate to ask of them? or contact someone's insurance? I have rental insurance, but it was just activated a week ago, and I doubt they cover much?? My landlords are inexperienced, but they did already throw a food giftcard for the first incident.

in more positive news, the little rubber feet for keeping furniture from sliding around on the laminate work quite well.