Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and we shouldn't be encouraging this new virtue signalling trend trying to call it out as some encouragement of date rape. The entire point of the song is that the woman wants to stay but feels like it would be unacceptable to her family and her peers if she spends the night with a man, even if it means risking a trip through dangerous weather. Look at the lyrics:

I really can't stay
Baby it's cold outside
I've got to go away
Baby it's cold out there
This evening has been
Been hoping that you'd drop in
So very nice
I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice

My mother will start to worry
Beautiful, what's your hurry?
My father will be pacing the floor
Listen to that fireplace roar
So really I'd better scurry
Beautiful, please don't hurry
Well maybe just a half a drink more
Why don't you put some records on while I pour

The neighbors might think
Baby, it's bad out there
Say, what's in this drink? OP'S NOTE: song written: 1944. Roofie available for purchase by general public: 1974.
No cabs to be had out there
I wish I knew how
Your eyes are like starlight
To break the spell
I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell

I ought to say no, no, no, sir
Mind if I move in closer?
At least I'm gonna say that I tried
What's the sense in hurting my pride?
I really can't stay
Baby don't hold out
Baby it's cold outside

I simply must go
See that it's cold outside.
The answer is no
I said it's cold out there.
This welcome has been
How lucky that you dropped in.
So nice and warm
Look out the window at that storm.

My sister will be suspicious
Gosh, your lips look delicious.
My brother will be there at the door
Waves upon a tropical shore.
My maiden aunt's mind is vicious
Oh, your lips are delicious.
Maybe just a cigarette more
Never such a blizzard before.

Hey I've got to go home
Baby, you'll freeze out there
Say, lend me your coat
It's up to your knees out there
You've really been grand
I'm thrilled when you touch my hand
But don't you see
How can you do this thing to me?

There's bound to be talk tomorrow
Think of my life long sorrow
At least there will be plenty implied
If you caught pneumonia and died
I really can't stay
Get over that old lie
Baby, baby it's cold outside

By the end the only protest she makes is that everyone will think something scandalous happened because she gasp spent the night at a mans house gasp. If someone takes away "50 nos and a yes means yes" from this then they're stupid. I violently, vehemently disagree with the idea of hiding something away forever because you can imagine a scenario where someone who holds a destructively antisocial idea feels validated by it. Take all your " that rapey christmas song" complaints and shove them right up your butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a great song OP.

The "rapey lol song" schtick must have started on some dumb tv show a couple of years ago.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

whats in this drink

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

its booze meant to ply me out of both my sexual morality and clothes

or ghb

i cant tell

but this song isnt totally rapey

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Sounds to me like a song about how cold the weather is in December? Is that right?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

She's practically asking for it.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
drunken limp dick Dean Martin wasn't raping anyone

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
What is virtue signaling?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Gaunab posted:

Kinda depends on who you ask. Some people use it to refer to the online phenomena where people pick fights over stuff they intentionally interpreted in bad faith as a display of progressive one upsmanship while others think anybody saying stuff that implies they aren't an awful human being must be doing it for show rather than genuine concern of the issue. Like most political phrases initially used as a shortcut to describe common trends it's become so broadly applied to everything and anyone some people disagree with it's basically become meaningless.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

I literally do not know. What is it?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Really though, if she didn't want it, why did she let a blind man drive her to HIS home instead of hers?

Really, I think she was just being a tease.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
tbh speaking as a coquettish butt boy, it's nice when a guy picks up on signals that i want him to be a little more persistent, because it means he thinks i'm worth the pursuit. that's cute~
that's how baby it's cold outside always read to me

look at jgl and gaga reversing the roles :3 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtoW4aV-CIc

but apparently some people can't read signals, so they just wander around raping things on the off-chance that it might turn out not be rape?
i can see why that would be a problem.
so i guess we're picking sides in the rape war, and i'll be damned if i end up on team rape, so i ask permission for every dick that i suck, and dean martin the dead singing rapist can eat poo poo.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's better than that godawful one about the drummer boy

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it's better than that godawful one about the drummer boy

or the ones about santa, like gtfo, santa is dead n gone.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Ah yes there's nothing like wrestling your coat from a drunk at 2am so you can have any chance at sleep. If I wanted to hear about political correctness is go read the drudge report

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"what's in this drink" is just alcohol

if you automatically assume the drink is drugged perhaps you are the real date rapist

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

ey have you heard about, have you heard bout this? *bobbles head* soooo don't song lyrics seem a little, uh, weird sorpmetimes? Check out this one [pulls out placard]:

quote:

all the lines of "can't stop loving you"

*Canned studio applause*

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Santa Baby is a much more problematic song because it glorifies consumerism but there's no outrage against it because of capitalists

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
santa baby bugs me out because it sound like she tryna gently caress santa

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
so?

nothing wrong with tryna gently caress Santa

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.google.com/search?q=safety+pin+signal&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Ein cooler Typ posted:

so?

nothing wrong with tryna gently caress Santa
i'm not saying it's anything wrong with it it's just not normally how i think about santa. it's like when people wanna gently caress bugs bunny. or don't wanna gently caress bugs bunny, i forget what my gbs posting persona is

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that waynes world scene was ahead of its time

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I've got an idea to make an arrangement to sing "...Cold Outside" with two women and one man. I haven't figured it out yet, but it would be fun to have all people want a threesome but all of them are dancing around it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Do you mean reinforcing 40s norms? Because it does a lot of that

Cubone
May 26, 2011

mostlygray posted:

I've got an idea to make an arrangement to sing "...Cold Outside" with two women and one man. I haven't figured it out yet, but it would be fun to have all people want a threesome but all of them are dancing around it.
that's a good idea

it also could be funny to do a version where it's the regular song except the lady sounds creeped out and terrified
"the neighbors might think... say... what's in this drink??? :stonk:"
except it's just an amusing contrast but everybody would think you're trying to make some kind of statement

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do it with the guy sounding creeped out and terrified then while the lady sounds really insincere in wanting to leave

it won't actually work but w/e

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

simplefish posted:

Do you mean reinforcing 40s norms? Because it does a lot of that

i like when people think back to the conservative 50's and just assume that all times before that must have been even more conservative

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

i like when people think back to the conservative 50's and just assume that all times before that must have been even more conservative

this is how society works

in the beginning we were as moral as possible and as time goes by we become steadily more and more immoral

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
what's wrong with tryna gently caress bugs bunny?

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Santa Baby is a much more problematic song because it glorifies consumerism but there's no outrage against it because of capitalists

That and the breathy "sexy voice" of Eartha Kitt who recorded it is super annoying.

What about "I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus". Was she really kissing Santa or the kid's dad who was dressed as Santa?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

dev286 posted:

That and the breathy "sexy voice" of Eartha Kitt who recorded it is super annoying.

What about "I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus". Was she really kissing Santa or the kid's dad who was dressed as Santa?

It was the neighbor dressed as santa

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

dev286 posted:

When we were growing up my friend's dad used to sing I saw mommy licking Santa's balls. We thought it was hilarious. Because it is.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
The drug they put in drinks for date rape in 1944 was Chloral Hydrate. Popularly referred to as a "Mickey" after bartender Mickey Finn, who used the drug regularly to drug customers of his bar and rob them in 1903.

Hope that helps OP.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

did he gently caress them?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You have really turned me around on this song, OP. I was in the "ugh, rapey" camp but you have redeemed this Christmas classic for me.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

If someone isn't down with how big of a douchebag you are you can accuse them of virtue signalling and win (in your mind). It's magic just like saying PC or SJW.

cloven hoof
Mar 17, 2009
https://youtu.be/7MFJ7ie_yGU

The original from the musical "Neptune's Daughter" had two couples, one with the woman being the seducer and one with the man seducing.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Blue Train posted:

It was the neighbor dressed as santa

Santa neighbor is your real dad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zombiepop posted:

or the ones about santa, like gtfo, santa is dead n gone.

or the one about the shoes
Nothing will ever be worse than Christmas Shoes

Cubone posted:

santa baby bugs me out because it sound like she tryna gently caress santa

I don't know if she's trying to gently caress Santa but she's definitely trying to make a sugar daddy out of him

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 27, 2016

• Locked thread