Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Enfys posted:

Previously:
1. The End is Nigh (Apocalypse Triptych #1) - John Joseph Adams et al
2. The Bogside Boys - Eoin Dempsy
3. The Life Changing Magic of Tidying up - Marie Kondo
4. To Glory We Steer - Alexander Kent
5. Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K Jerome
6. The Martian - Andy Weir
7. The End is Now (Apocalypse Triptych #2) - John Joseph Adams et al
8. Instructions for Living Someone Else's Life - Mil Millington
9. Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser
10. The Business - Martina Cole
11. Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
12. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter Thompson
13. The Shore - Sara Taylor
14. The Vegetarian - Han Kang
15. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
16. Watership Down - Richard Adams
17. Lud in the Mist - Hope Mirrlees
18. Nikola Tesla - Imagination and the Man that Invented the 20th Century - Sean Patrick
19. Goat Mountain - David Vann
20. Battleaxe (Wayfarer Trilogy #3) - Sara Douglass
21. The Egyptian - Mika Waltari
22. The Death of Ivan Ilyich - Leo Tolstoy
23.Enchanter (Wayfarer Trilogy #2) - Sara Douglass
24. Bad Astronomy - Philip Plait
25. A Doll's House - Henrik Ibsen
26. Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote
27. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
28. The Andromeda Strain - Michael Crichton
29. Black Like Me - John Howard Griffin
30. The Call of the Wild - Jack London
31. The Earth Moved: on the remarkable achievements of earthworms - Amy Stewart

I have been enjoying this challenge so much this year, and it has really gotten me into the reading habit again. I have been enjoying reading different and random books so much that I realised there's now only one month to go, and I sort of lost track of the challenge particulars a bit. I've managed to complete my vanilla number, which I thought would be a huge stretch for me, but I need to get the last booklord challenges done this month!

This is my October/November update:

32. Snow - Orhan Pamuk

I really expected to like this given the critical acclaim and how much people gushed about it. I started off liking it, but it took me a month to slog through it because it wandered off into bizarre and difficult to follow narrative. Before I reached the halfway point of the book, I just wanted to be done with it, and it just dragged more and more. I don't think I really understood the second half of the book at all. It ended up reading like some kind of fever dream. I wanted to read it as I know little about Turkey, and someone mentioned it being very topical. The suicide epidemic ends up having very little to do with the story and is hardly mentioned after the beginning, so I'm not sure why it features so strongly in the description.

A lot of it felt very heavy handed and overdone. The author self-inserts himself as the narrator, which just ends up being rather cringe-worthy as he describes the honours people give him because of who he is, name drops his other works, etc. A lot of the book focuses on a diagram of a snowflake and how the different axes represent and reflect an individual's life. Really weird book that I didn't understand and am happy to have finally finished.

33. Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke

One day aliens come to Earth and enforce peace, prosperity and amazing new technology from afar. Earth quickly becomes a sort of utopia, but why? This was one of those novels where you think you're reading one book and then suddenly end up reading a completely different, vaguely related book. I really enjoyed the first 2/3 or so of the book, but I found the last part really weird, jarring, and ultimately boring. This was an interesting exercise in imagination but overall not a very cohesive story.

I thought it was funny how a small segment of the population was concerned that in the new golden age utopia, people were spending on average 3 hours a day consuming entertainment media.

34. The Round House - Louise Edrich

A Native American woman is brutally raped, and her son and husband try to seek justice despite a legal mess surrounding US-Native American legislation and jurisdiction. Overall a really bleak book but also very powerful. There's a lot I never really understood about Native American status and laws in the US and the unique problems they face. The author is a Native American and wrote an afterword about how sexual assault of Native women is shockingly common and rarely ever prosecuted due to these legal and social issues.

35. Go Tell It on the Mountain - James Baldwin

Semi-autobiographical novel about a black minister's son in New York trying to find his identity and come to terms with his very complicated family. Really beautifully written - he has such a lyrical, stunning writing style. Despite the exceptional writing, I sometimes grew a little bored of the actual story in the face of the characters' relentless exploration and justification of their faith, which I think is my own failing rather than the book's.

36. Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials That Shape Our Man-Made World - Mark Miodownik

A materials scientist discusses the science behind materials in everyday objects like the steel in his razor, the graphite in his pencil, the foam in his sneakers, the concrete in a nearby skyscraper, chocolate, etc. The actual science parts of the book were fascinating and still something I think about regularly. One of the books that helps me look at the world around me in a new way and has provided me with lots of random conversation material.

However, it suffers from having extensive personal "fluff" forced in which distracts from the cool science rather than enhancing it. It seems to be a formula pop-sci authors are told they need to follow - mix the interesting science with random anecdotes from their personal life. I guess the idea is to water down the science in case it scares people off and to add "human interest"...which is fine in theory and can be done well, but often it's just really annoying and tedious. I read it for the cool science stuff, not random everyday stories about some guy's normal life.

37. Starman (Axis Trilogy #3) - Sara Douglass

The conclusion of a fantasy series I wanted to reread out of nostalgia for my younger self. Even given how my tastes have changed over time, I now understand why I quit reading her books after this one and never continued with this series. The first book is a decent if very cliche fantasy novel. The second abandons a lot of the plot for some kind of weird melodramatic and annoying love triangle thing. This one is the ultimate Mary Sue lovefest - the common girl from a small town turns into the most super special amazing person ever who has all the super special powers she could ever want and more who can solve all the problems of the previous books in a few minutes. Incredibly anticlimactic. Two giant fantasy tomes of build up, and she literally solves everything in a page or so, mostly by being too sexy to resist. Everyone is in love with her, everyone wants to be with her or be her, etc. Also, I'm amazed how anyone in this book ever gets anything done since they are always "catching their breath" at the beauty of all the incredibly beautiful people and staring at them every chance they get. I get the impression the author had a cool story but then fell apart and was really using these books to compensate for crippling self esteem problems.

38. Right Ho, Jeeves - P. G. Wodehouse

BOTM and my first introduction to Wodehouse. I absolutely loved it and see why his books are so beloved. I laughed throughout the entire thing.

39. Wool - Hugh Howey

Post-apocalypse novel about humanity living underground in a massive Silo. This started off really interesting but then seemed to get a bit lost. Sometimes the plot would again stumble into really interesting territory, but it was too bogged down to stick it out. It really strains credulity to the breaking point at times though (and the author has no idea how diving or pressure under water works). I ended up feeling a little disappointed because I wanted to love it. Will probably read the others to see if his writing improves as the world is pretty interesting.

40. The Girl with all the Gifts - M. R. Carey

Absolutely loved this, which is funny since it's one I didn't expect to love (while the previous books I expected to love were all disappointing). A really enthralling story. It manages to show an apocalyptic world with its realities without grinding your face into bleak misery or false hope. A very unusual ending for this genre, and at first I was a little disappointed. The more I sit with it, the more I appreciate it though.

That finished my vanilla number of 40, which delights me as the last couple years I have read maybe 5-10 books total, and I thought this would be a huge stretch for me. I've spent most of the year pushing myself to read new things, but I was on holiday for a chunk of November and ended up getting a big lazy with my reading and going on a fantasy binge. Then I realised I still have 4 or so challenges to complete in December - working on them now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Booklog Challenge Update posted:

Count: 92/96 books, 9 nonfiction (8%), 5 rereads (5%)
Complete: 2, 3, 5-11, 13-17, 21, 22
New: (4) Something from the 1800s: The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
New: (12) Airplane fiction: The Firm by John Grisham
New: (20) Something banned or censored: The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

93. The Firm by John Grisham

This was good, but it was also pretty stressful, because it does that thing where it constantly cuts away to the antagonists and shows them closing in. I have to be in a certain mood to enjoy this sort of book, I think.

Also, wow, Grisham really doesn't try at all to make his antagonists even slightly sympathetic.

94. Wave Without a Shore by C.J. Cherryh

Continuing to fill in the gaps in my Cherryh. This one I feel I would have gotten a lot more out of had I any sort of formal education in philosophy, and it ends quite abruptly.

95. So You Want To Be A Wizard by Diane Duane (reread)

I needed some comfort reading and this is an old favourite that still holds up today. It's a warm, comforting book, which seems odd to say given that most of it takes place in a twisted hellscape of alternate NY and all the supporting characters die, but it really is in a way that The Book of Night with Moon isn't.

96. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

This was funny, but I think I would have gotten more out of it with more knowledge of the social conventions of the time that it mocks.

(While not formally banned, this is the play that led to Wilde being outed as gay and his subsequent exile and the end of his career as a writer; I think that counts.)

97. Agent of Change by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller
98. Conflict of Honours by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller

The first two Liaden Universe books. The first one was merely alright, but was also a fast read, so I decided to keep going and check out the second one, which I enjoyed a great deal more. Definitely going to keep checking these out when I want some light "potato chip" space opera.

99. A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers

:neckbeard: The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet was one of my favourites of the year, and Orbit lives up to my expectations as a sequel. Absolutely delightful. One might argue (just as with Angry Planet) that not a great deal happens during the book, but like its predecessor it's not a book about laserspewpew, it's about settling down over tea and getting to know the characters.

I do miss the ensemble cast of the Wayfarer's crew, though. I think this is probably a better book than Angry Planet, but one that I'm less likely to reread.

100. Stiletto by Daniel O'Malley

This was a blast. An improvement on The Rook, I think, although I miss Mwyfany's letters -- it has a lot less exposition, but when it does happen it's more jarring, because it's the narrator expositing at you with no in-setting justification. (And half of it is poo poo I Already Know, since I read The Rook -- can the author not safely assume that if the reader is reading book #2 they probably read book #1 first?). On the plus side we get to see more angles of the Chequy and learn a lot about the Grafters, too. More humour in this one, too, I think -- or perhaps The Rook was funnier than I remember. I spent the first half of the book being pretty unhappy that Grootvader Ernst refused to tell the Chequy about the Antagonists, but I can see why they did it now.

I felt pretty proud of myself for figuring out that "Pawn Sophie" was actually an enemy agent and that melting blonde dude was part of the Gestalt, but this is somewhat tempered by not figuring out what Odette's new throat implants were for (ok, that one wasn't exactly heavily clued) or the true nature of the Antagonists -- that latter one is really embarassing considering how many clues there were pointing in that direction, in retrospect.

101. Star Trek by James Blish
102. Star Trek 2 by James Blish
103. Star Trek 3 by James Blish

My parents had some of these growing up (numbers 8-12, I think). Like all the other SF on their shelves, I read them all as a kid, but it wasn't until relatively recently that I learned they were adaptations of the actual episodes (not having seen any TOS, and precious little Trek in general). I recently had cause to help a friend track them down (she's a big Trek fan but had no idea the Blish adaptations existed) and took the opportunity to read some of them before handing them over.

To be honest, I didn't enjoy them as much now as I did when I was younger. They're showing their age, and since these are some of the volumes I didn't read as a kid, they don't come with that nice hit of nostalgia.

104. (name TBD) by Bard Bloom

My first experience as a beta reader! This is ostensibly the fourth Mating Flight book, but it's set (mostly) before Mating Flight and has no characters in common (a few cameos notwithstanding). It has a similar "voice" to Mating Flight, but unlike MF is straightforwardly narrated rather than being presented as the contents of the protagonist's journal, which makes its distilled recitation of events feel somewhat unusual; it's not bad but it's a style that I gather was much more common in the 50s than it is today, at least for non-epistolary novels.

It's rougher around the edges than the first two books were, but this is hardly surprising since Mating Flight had seen years of editing and polishing before publication by the time I read it. I quite enjoyed it nonetheless, although I don't think I will like it as much as Mating Flight even once it's finished.

105. The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes
106. The Prophecy Con by Patrick Weekes
107. The Paladin Caper by Patrick Weekes

The Rogues of the Republic trilogy. It starts off as a straightforward heist, with the protagonist escaping from prison and assembling an ensemble cast of thieves and conmen to steal her inheritance back from the noble who double-crossed and imprisoned her in the first place. Then things escalate a lot.

If I have one complaint about it, it's that when the chips are down it relies a bit too heavily on Loch's admittedly impressive dirty fighting skills, but there's enough trickery and clever strategems going on to keep me interested.

Next up is rounding out my nonfiction a bit with \i{Wild Swans} and the new e-reader-friendly build of \i{Ignition!}, and after that...I'm not sure what. Probably \i{A Farewell to Arms} for the "Lost Generation" challenge, but apart from that, who knows?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 2, 2016

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ben Nevis posted:

1. My Dead Body by Charlie Huston.
2. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.
3. Made in America, An informal history of the English Language in the US by Bill Bryson.
4. Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson
5. Ru by Kim Thuy
6. The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester
7. Only the Animals by Ceridwen Dovey
8. The Language of Food, A Linguist Reads the Menu by Dan Jurafsky
9. Paris Nocturne by Patrick Modiano
10. Last First Snow by Max Gladstone
11. Brief Encounters with Che Guevara
12. A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny
13. Anno Dracula by Kim Newman
14. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome
15. Carter and Lovecraft by Jonathan L Howard
16. Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
17. Claws of the Cat by Susan Spann
18. Stray Souls by Kate Griffin
19. Version Control by Dexter Palmer
20. Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff
21. Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart
22. The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle
23. The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley
24. The Decagon House Murders by Yukito Ayatsuji
25. The Girl with the Ghost Eyes by MH Boroson
26. The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery
27. Crooked by Austin Grossman
28. A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal by Ben MacIntyre
29. The Great & Calamitous Tale of Johan Thoms by Ian Thornton
30. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
31. In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez
32. The Glass God by Kate Griffin
33. The Devil in Silver by Victor Lavalle
34. Stories by Dorothy Parker
35. The Sudden Appearance of Hope by Claire North
36. A Hell of a Woman by Jim Thompson
37. Something More than Night by Ian Tregillis
38. Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch
39. The Association of Small Bombs by Karan Mahajan
40. The Deep Sea Divers Syndrome by Serge Brussolo
41.Cities I've Never Lived In: Stories by Sara Majka
42. All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders
43. The Final Solution by Michael Chabon
44. The Sleep of the Righteous by Wolfgang Hilbig
45. The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps by Kai Ashante Wilson
46. The Night the Rich Men Burned by Malcolm Mackay
47. Six-Gun Snow White by Catherynne M. Valente
48. Target in the Night by Ricardo Piglia
49. Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
50. Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch
51. The Insides by Jeremy P Bushnell
52. Time and Tenacity by Hannah Vale
53. In the Country of Last Things by Paul Auster
54. Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo
55. A General Theory of Oblivion by Jose Eduardo Agualusa
56. A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar
57. Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter
58. Mongrels by Stephen Jones
59. Four Roads Cross by Max Gladstone
60. A Man Lies Dreaming by Lavie Tidhar
61. Villa Triste by Patrick Modiano
62. Home is the Sailor by Jorge Amado
63. The Gentleman by Forrest Leo
64. Infomocracy by Malka Ann Older
65.The Perplexing Theft of the Jewel in the Crown by Vaseem Khan
66. Confessions of the Lioness by Mia Couto
67. Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch
68.Let's Play Make Believe by James Patterson
69.Night of the Animals by Bill Broun
70. The Last Days of New Paris by China Mieville
71. ]The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin Jr
72. Everfair by Nisi Shawl
73. Underground Airlines by Ben H Winters
74. Crazy from the Heat by David Lee Roth

November was a good month for books, on the whole. I also knocked out my wildcard, banned books, and Lost Generation. For the banned books challenge, I pulled up a list of the most often challenged and banned books on Wiki and grabbed 2 with interesting titles. Most were YA and thus fairly quick, which is why I grabbed two. Both of mine turned out to be early 70s, so no sparkling vampires here.

75. Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee - In space, the dominant hegemony maintains power through the rigid enforcement of it's calendar. When a major space fortress switches to to another calendar, a force captained by a jumped up infantry commander who is possessed by the psychic fragments of a brilliant but crazy general is sent to recover it. Yeah, I have no idea how the calendar thing works. This really just sort of throws you into the middle of it and expects you to go along. That being said, if you make it past the initial confusion, this is a fun read with spacefightin'. Would recommend.

76. The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe by Kij Johnson - Vellitt Boe is a professor at the Ulthar Women's college and one of her students has eloped to the waking world with a dreamer. Boe sets out to try and get her back, braving the dangers of the dream world to do so. Johnson says in her afterword that this is sort of her way of finding a role for women in Lovecraft's mythos. It's sort of a tour of the Dreamlands told from a rather different perspective. There are definitely tie ins to several Lovecraft works, but they probably aren't required reading. I liked this.

77. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier - A challenged/banned book, and I thought I had heard of or perhaps read this, but I think I was confusing it for The Pushcart War. Jerry goes to a boys school that's ruled in equal parts by the administration and by a secret society of boys. When the big fundraising drive comes around, he won't sell chocolate. Naturally this irks the administration, even more so when Jerry is viewed as a hero. Things change when the secret society gets in on the chocolate selling as well. I'm not honestly sure why this was frequently challenged or banned. There's a particularly brutal part as well as some mild language and a mention or two of jacking off. I like to think that it's challenged/banned because it shows an individual crushed by existing power structures, and while perhaps accurate, we don't want to destroy children's spirits so young.

78. The Atrocity Exhibition by JG Ballard - My Wild Card, and man was it wild. For the most part, this book is a collection of "chapters" that dwell on a particular theme. Each chapter is divided into sort of long paragraphs that serve as an outline or perhaps part of a story connected to the overall theme. The broad, overarching idea here seems to focus on the marketing and sexualization of atrocity and also the recognition of America's car culture as an atrocity. Naturally, this is all intimately tied in with the Kennedy assassination, which so well encompassed cars, atrocity, pop culture, and sex. Be prepared to read phrases like "the mouth-parts of Jackie Kennedy" and "the pundenda of Ralph Nader" over and over. Also the sexualization of architecture and linear objects. I felt things got a little repetitive with the first stories. There's a break after the first ten into a slightly different style that I liked better. The appendix of 4 stories in the newer publishing is initially interesting with his points about the voyeuristic tendencies of science, but I didn't need 3 stories to make it. The Secret History of World War 3 felt particularly apt though.

79. A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck - Another banned book that was not primarily about the celebration of the life of pigs. It's a coming of age story set on a poor farm in Vermont. This story was chock full wit and humor, some parts were laugh out loud funny. Ultimately thought it's a story about a boy coming to know his father, and man it just got me. The mix of humor seguing into poignancy was overwhelming towards the end. Some of the shine is taken off this by the fact that basically everything written about Shakers in the book is nonsense. Apparently banned for a few frank depictions of life on a farm. Despite that, I found this to be an outstanding book.

80. The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers - Join the crew of a wormhole construction ship as they travel for a year to their highest paying job yet. This is told episodically with each chapter being an event along the way that helps reveal the relationships on the ship and the characters of its crew. I really enjoyed this, lots of space travelling, aliens, and whatnot, but it winds up feeling somewhat cozy nonetheless.

81. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway - I had purchased this for $1 from a used book store some time ago, apparently never realizing it was used by a student who had waggishly crossed out Arms on the cover and written in Sex. That combined with some confusion caused by the fact that while reading this I also watched the episode of Cheers with the Sun Also Rises misled me into thinking this was the book where a guy gets his balls shot off. I spent way too long wondering how that happens in a Swiss resort town.

1) Vanilla Number 74/45
2) Something written by a woman - 5, 7, 18, 17, 16, 21, 23, 26, 31, 32, 34, 35, 41, 42, 47, 52, 56, 64, 72, 76, 80
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - 5, 16, 19, 22, 24, 31, 33, 39, 45, 48, 56, 62, 64, 65, 72
4) Something written in the 1800s - 14
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice)- 21, 31
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - 7, 12, 71
7) A collection of essays.
8) A work of Science Fiction - 6, 16, 19, 52, 54, 64, 69, 72, 73, 75, 80
9) Something written by a musician - 74
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - 2, 16, 69
11) Read something about or set in NYC - 1, 33, 34, 51
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect) - 68
13) Read Something YA - 30, 77, 79
14) Wildcard! - 79
15) Something recently published - 4, 7, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23,24,25, 29, 35, 39, 45, 52, 57, 58, 59, 60, 63, 64, 65, 68, 69, 70, 72, 73, 75, 76, 80
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now - 2, 6, 30, 74
17) The First book in a series - 13, 17, 18, 21, 25, 38, 49, 75
18) A biography or autobiography - 28, 74
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Generation - 81
20) Read a banned book - 77, 79
21) A Short Story collection - 7, 11, 34, 41
22) It’s a Mystery - 15, 17, 24, 43, 48, 65, 73

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mr. Squishy posted:

1 The Ministery of Fear by Graham Greene. Another thriller where the most interesting thing is the setting, this time London under the blitz. I considered including him as part of the lost generation (born 5 years after Hemmingway) but gently caress it.
2 The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy. Keepin' it 'Carthy.
3 The Ipcress File by Len Deighton. I liked the film so much I decided to read the book. He goes abroad in this one, and gets a lot more snide remarks in. 17
4 The Candles of Your Eyes by James Purdy. Whole bunch of very short stories. Not as good as his other stuff, to my mind. Considered including him as a beat (same birth year as Burroughs) but gently caress it. 21
5 The Barnum Museum by Steven Milhauser. streets folding like pages in a book... fall through them, feeling only a chill in the air... [text from the about the author slip in a victorian novel... megadose of American Borges but much less lovable to my mind. 13
6 A Visit from the Goon Squad. A novel in the form of a collection of short stories, abandoning what makes novels good. Development and suspense are abandoned as as she ping pongs through lives. Includes a fairly funny cod DFW and some fairly terrible predicted future. The next generation will speak in text speach (remember that?) and, for some reason, all of the stock slides that come with power point. 11
7 The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. Of interest to Catholics only.
8 Letters to Sir WIlliam Temple by Dorothy Osbourne. Incredibly charming collection of love letters from the 1600s. One to read again 5
9 Bech: A Life by John Updike. Pretty funny novella in the mold of Pnin. You loving bet I broke down a "The Complete Bech" to make the numbers go up higher.
10 Bech is Back & Bech in Czech by John Updike. The second half, I'm not a bad enough dude to count a 30 page short story as number 11. Less lovable as Bech gets married and has an affair with her sister in short order, reflecting later that it's her fault. That's our John, I guess.
11 A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipul. A guy gets lumbered with property in Africa and doesn't sell at the most oppourtune time. The First Naipul I read, guy's a good stylist. 3
12 A Friend of Kafka by Isaac Bashevis Singer as translated by the author and many others. Short stories about a Jewish Pole now living in New York who insists in writing in Hebrew by a etc etc. I much preferred the magical ones in this collection.
13 The New Confessions by William Boyd. Another old fake biography by Boyd, this time of a Scottish film director who becomes obsessed with Rosseau. Occasionally so researched the weight of it deforms the book but enjoyable enough. 10
14 The Garden Party and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield. Boy I'd read a lot of these already.
15 The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot. Really enjoyed the beginning and end, though I must say I found the conclusion a little stagily unconvincing. 4
16 The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton. Micro-detective stories with about 2 pages of local colour, 6 pages of mystery, then 2 pages where Brown delivers the punchline. Mostly about how hosed-up foreigners are and how rational the Catholic church is. 22
17 The Tremor of Forgery by Patricia Highsmith. There are so many dark intimations of danger in the background that I didn't realize it's basically The Stranger until 20 pages from the end.
18 A Fan's Notes by Frederick Exley. I shelved this a while ago as I didn't really think the prose was interesting enough to get me to care. I still think that, to be honest.
19 The Hireling by L.P. Hartley. I bought this because I had the chance to buy The Go Between and didn't so I was feeling guilty. The guy read's fast but is entirely about forelock tugging and so I can see why he was popular in his day and is not at all now.
20 Anne of the Five Towns by Arnold Bennet. Mostly a description of the pottery industry in the early 19th Centuary with a little romance written around it. Some good stuff.
21 Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. I was going to read Sylvia's Lovers but a first google spat out that she called it her most depressing book so I went with this one instead. OK, variable,
22 Persuasion by Jane Austen. You bet I'm trying to read a bunch of women this year. It's good stuff, hurt a bit by my inability to learn character's names, they all seem to be called Frederick or Charles.
23 The Swimming Pool Library by Alan Hollinghurst. This was pressed into my hands with the adjective "Jamesian" which I guess means it's about vicious rich people and nothing really happens. Has all the sex James left out and then some.
24 The Letters of John Cheever edited by Benjamin Cheever. Apparently he only wrote regularly to about 5 people, and Ben went and cut out the catty segments to spare some blushes. The extensive notes are really good though, especially giving background to John's love letters to men.
25 Lois the Witch and other stories by Elizabeth Gaskell. I think this is from a penguin grouping of horror stories, so this collection is all about idiot's misunderstanding of supernatural forces going out and hurting someone. S'good.
26 Correction by Thomas Bernhard as translated by Sophie WIlkins. I found myself thinking of The Cone so I gave this one a re-read.
27 May We be Forgiven by A.M. Homes. I actually bought this in hardback back when I lightly paid attention to current lit (listened to Saturday Review) and it sounded fun and violent, and it does start off with a visceral thrill as the piggy feared elder brother kills about 5 people and then pisses himself, but then it settles down into just low-level unpleasantness over 300 pages. It sort of strains credulity that the guy can't buy aspirin without being barred from the chemist for life. Plot is a satire of crap American lit of successful academic with hollow life learns to love again. I mean, they say he's learnt but he just sort of meekly has stuff imposed on him by the aforesaid unpleasant people. They load this sap up with pets, children, a girlfriend, even somebody else's parents by the end ("it's just a random collection of people!" a grandmother in law remarks on the concluding thanksgiving dinner. I guess I'm meant to smile wryly but, you know, it really just is). I think he's meant to be moving away from materialism but every loving good deed this guy does he's rewarded with stacks of untaxable cash so I'm not sure that's it. The prose is leaden and she thinks that if a joke's good once it's good ten or more so times. Just garbage. 2
28 Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. Yeah, that's the stuff.
29 One Man's Meat by E.B. White. Likable enough series of essays, mostly about farming though occasionally he'll talk about the rise of Hitler or America's place in the world. 7
30 Peace by Gene Wolfe. How do you make closely written childhood memories and theorizing about the nature of truth sci-fi? Sketch a vague framing device and imply some nuclear event. A fun book. 8
31 Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. Maybe sorta light, also my copy didn't have any notes so I didn't get most of the literary parodies.
32 Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers. I'm never smart enough to actually read these to solve them but I just like the characterization of Whimsey.
33 Jamaica Inn by Daphne DuMaurier. It was pointed out to me I've never read any of hers even though it'd take five minutes. Super broad-strokes in everything but she achieves her effects. I really should have read this like... a decade and change ago.
33 Devoted Ladies by M.J. Farrell (Molly Keane). Never heard of her but the publisher puts out some good stuff so I thought it was worth a tug. I had to go back and read the introduction because I wasn't sure what I had just read. A lesbian couple where the butch Jessica torments the lovely Jane to liver-failure, and go on holiday to Ireland where they meet June and, breaking the theme, Piggy who also seem to have a thing going. Published 1934 and without a subsequent obscenity case so things are... well not fuzzy, just absent. Apart from the fact that they hate each other you wouldn't know they're together. Occasionally has great breaks of descriptive fancy and is filled with grotesques. 19
34 Portrait of a Marriage by Vita Sackville-West and Nigel Nicolson. Structurally a very interesting book, as Nige discovered his mother's confession of a disastrous lesbian affair and polished it up for publication. She goes in for fairy-tale romanticizing and he comes in to account for the facts. Which is handy as one sort of gets lost in the fug of family scandals in Vita's text which Nigel manages to pin down quite neatly. Lord Seery, for instance, is first presented as colossal balloon of a person, filled with joy and laughter who was always a joy to the child Vita when he visited (though she was briefed he must be rolled discretely to another room in case he falls dead in front of her mother's bedroom door). Then Nigel comes in with some conservative estimates about any relationship between him and his grandmother ("some patting") before moving in to the financial gifts and ensuing court-case over his will. So it's a broken-backed narrative, with the flush of emotion followed by what actually happened 30 pages later, with a coda added about how they were, against appearances, a very happy married couple, along with a couple of shoe-horned mentions of Virginia Woolf. 18
35 Emma by Jane Austen. Finishing off my birthday present. About 30 pages in I recognized that I had read this before, but still, very good. Austen writes selfish people well.
36 Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. Much better than Cranford, and a very enjoyable 19th Centuary novel.
37 Arthurian Romances by Chrétien de Troyes in a prose translation bt William W. Kibler and Carleton W. Carrol. All the lances splintering against gorgets you could ask for. Episodic stories of knights knocking against each other like conkers, but they group of stories definitely explore a theme (Eric and Enide about love, the Story of the Grail about morality) which I guess is why Troyes was a genius.Translation is miles away from the original, of course, but I don't feel the urge to go and learn medieval French, to be honest.
38 Right Ho Jeeves by P.G. Woodhouse. The weather was nice so I read a Woodhouse. This is the one where Betram upsets the chef by convincing everybody to dolefully decline their food in a lovelorn manner, if you're interested.
39 Cities of the Red Night by William S. Burroughs. First book of his that I've read where he was sober enough to carry on a story in between chapters, though it falls apart a bit midway through.
40 The Radetzky March by Joseph Roth as translated by Michael Hoffman. This is really good. Traditional European novel structure that I really like but Roth's ability to conjure an apropos image. I had left it for a while as it seemed a little beefy but this read really fast.
41 The Wings of the Dove by Henry James. A full novel of James is too much James for me. 16
42 The Nether World by George Gissing. Completing this mostly to free up the bookmark. I just found Gissing's prose here not great.
43 JR by William Gaddis. Finally completed my re-read of this. I had last given up just before the really great bits in the novel so this went by a lot quicker.
44 Under Western Eyes by Joseph Conrad. Love that Conrad
45 And We Sold the Rain: Contemporary Fiction from Central America edited by Rosario Santos. 1989 collection of short (really short!) stories meant to show Central America is more than the land of coups and death squads. The stories are mostly about coups and death squads. The eponymous story about IMF intervention is A+.
46 Chromatic Cinema: A History of Screen Colour by Richard Misek. I went for this hoping it'd have more detail on the technical aspects of colour film and, while there was a little of that, it's mostly about the artistic uses. Included a chapter in the middle, moving from notable "colouration used to denote a change in time", discussing where chronologically offset scenes do not make any special use of colour. And a lot of discussion of the Van Sant Psycho, glad to see that film found an audience in FilmCrit.
47 The Echo Maker by Richard Powers. Mel rec'd this, and seems to really like it, and I cannot understand what he sees in it. A painfully dutiful older sister of a no-goodnik is summoned back to flyover country after he's had a car crash, developing one of those interesting head injuries you hear about in Oliver Sacks books (namely, he thinks she's an impostor). Just as you're thinking that along comes an Oliver Sacks stand-in (I think one of his books is called "The Man Who Confused his Spouse for a Chapeau") to bitch about book reviewer and to show off Power's research. Now I don't know if the real Sacks family talk about Pair Bonding whenever they hug, but I pity them if they did. The author flies in and out, the brother recreates an uneasy detente with his now alien loved ones, and the sister picks up both old ex-boyfriends at once, while being bedevilled by a super sexy but mysterious nurse, one part of a ludicrous mystery of a scrawled note which I think was meant to upgrade this tome to a page turner. I didn't find the prose very good (the only thing that I remember now was Powers swerving to avoid saying the word Toblerone) and I didn't piece together what makes this a fable of our fragmented world. Sorry Mel. 14
48 A Naked Singularity by Sergio de la Pava. I read this in parallel because apparently it's Gaddisean, which I reject. I might venture to label it as Wallacean but no further. Basically this book would be great if you find extreme verbosity, in and of itself, very funny. It's not a dog eat dog world, it's a kennel of canines of cannibalistic carnivorousness. Everybody talks like that, or maybe there's just one guy who never shuts up, I'm not sure. The book shines when de la Pava is discussing issues of law. As you'd expect from a professional public defender he's got a mastery of the subject and can spin a debate about whether a van can be labelled a building or not for pages and pages, and it's all fascinating in spite of the extremely grating tone. But the majority of the novel is much less gripping, sort of madcap antics you find in a bad Pyncheon book.
49 North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. Took the opportunity of the last two books making this one seem short. Much better than Cranford in that you think that she had something to say.
50 Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow. I was sort of dreading this because it's a 50s american author's africa novel but it's pretty good! Self-loathing pig farmer and pig-man learns to be miserable with better grace. Or something like that.
51 Passions by Isaac Bashevis Singer as translated by various. I should read these again.
52 I, Claudius by Robert Graves. It's weird how the men in this are innocent fools and the source of all intrigue is feminine. I'd call it an unreliable narrator but I don't think Claudius' character is interesting enough for that. Still a fun book of intrigue.
53 Carpenter's Gothic by WIlliam Gaddis. I must admit I read this again just to tick off the airport fiction challenge, but it struck me much more favourably than the last time I read it. I mean, it's still got authors yelling about fundies but there's a lot of beautiful stuff here.12
54 Howard's End by E.M. Forster. Ya I can see why this is the most favoured Forster. Better than Where Angels Fear at least.
55 The Steal Flee by N. S. Leskov as translated by someone or other. Did the Penguin. Sure this is 40 pages in large font on small pages, but this came in a bound volume that cost someone 60p and was shoved in front of my nose to see if I got it or not. I didn't, really, I mean it was very funny but I couldn't tell you who Leskov was. I guess if someone pushed a larger volume of short stories in front of me I'd read those happily.
56 The Prime Minister volume 1 by Anthony Trollope. A book of two very vaguely connected stories: Lord Palliser, duke of Omnium, he of the tonne of Palliser books that came before, finally gets to assemble a cabinet and form a government and stuff it with every other walk-in and bit-part from those books, with Phineas Finn as the Irish secretary. Occasionally they chat about the corn laws or whatever. Meanwhile, a sinister speculator develops a galloping case of semitism as he tries to marry into a very old, rich family. He goes from having "perhaps a trace of hassidic heritage" to being the greasiest, most scheming jew-boy to ever sell a harp on the street (like they all do) as the news of his suite echoes down the members of this awful family of landowners. Claims that Trollope is poking fun at other's anti-semitism are only slightly hurt by him actually being a bit of a rotter.
57 The Prime Minister volume 2 by Trollope again. Now having married this fairhaired young rose of England, this swarthy swine proceeds to lose a fair bit of money speculating on guano and African liquer, embarrass the Prime Minister, before stepping in front of a train (really good bit to read in isolation, check the gutenberg for "Tenways"). Then the book goes on for another two-hundred pages. I must confess these two came bound in one volume but they restarted the page numbers and I'm juking the numbers.
58 Towards The Radical Centre: A Karel Čapek Reader as edited by Peter Truss, with translations by various. After being so sold on Newts I must say this was a bit of a disappointment. Two things this reader brought to the fore is how terribly domestic Čapek was and that he couldn't write women and shouldn't try. Now domesticity is all well and good but when there are numerous essays about what his cat might be thinking, or a gardener's relationship with the soil, I really must object. As for the women, though Russom's Universal Robots has some of that fun stuff that made Newts so good, its first act has a woman who comes to the factory hoping to proselytise to the robots about the common good, before meeting the factory board who explain she is a very silly woman after all. Having conceded the fact that she's ever so silly, the CEO or whatever of RUR explains that she simply has to marry him, or another of his board of directors, because they are all simply head over heels in love. The curtain falls as they all advance on her and, after the interval, we find her celebrating her ten year wedding anniversary. It's also... not that well structured a play? Neither's the Markropolous Affair (good liberetto though) but The Mother was an acceptable Ibsen-like, surprisingly.
59 The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad. I still like this.
60 Woodcutters by Thomas Bernahrd as translated by David McLintlock. Got this back from the person I lent it to ages ago. Bernard's so good. 1
61 The Scapegoat by Daphne DuMaurier. I only really kept plugging on with this one because I needed to return it. Dream-like plot about being his French doppleganger's replacement just didn't interest me.
62 Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin as translated by James E. Falen. Always a great anxiety about saying you've read poetry in translation. A very sensitive introductory essay though.
63 Selections from the Rev. Francis Kilvert's Diary edited by William Plomer. A surprise! Kilvert is a fluent and very engaging diarist, writing about his life priesting for a remote Welsh village in the last quarter of the 19th Century. I'd really reccomend people to read this one.
64 Short Friday and other stories by Isaac Bashevis Singer, translated by various. He really is a baffling author. Need to read some criticism of him.
Rites of Passage by William Golding. Lords of the Flies with adults, on a ship. I dunno, I'm still unsure what makes this guy so great.
65 Riders in the Chariot by Patrick White. High-falutin book which tries to haul the crucifixion, with all mysteries intact, out to Australia. I guess I didn't give it a fair hearing.
66 The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. I reread this very quickly. Still got some great images of beauty there.
67 The Riddle of the Sands by Irskine Childers. Well written adventure novel.
68 The Sword of Dawn by Michael Moorcock. A badly written sci-fi one.
69 We by Yevgeny Zamyatin as translated by Bernard Guilbert Guerny. A much better one.

70 The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy. I've bounced off this text a few times before, totally my fault. I guess I need to re-read this, I did like the violence of emotions and all that.
71 The Limeworks by Thomas Bernahard as translated by Sophie Wilkins. One of the big Bernhards I avoided in my unsystematic approach. He remains fantastic though I'm not sure if Wilkin's translation stands up. What do I know though, it didn't contain any howlers.. I'm counting him as a musician by the way, and nobody can stop me. 9
72 Dope Girls by Marek Kohnn. Brief history of the start of drug prohibition as told through a case-history of a series of women, almost all of whom end up dying from an ovrerdose. Most of the work is kicking apart the sensational and ignorant reporting of the time, which might count as fish in a barrel. For example some pulpy popular policeman falsely claimed to have seen a dealer crossing the street when he'd been in prison for years. Still, entertaining enough.
73 The Horse's Mouth by Joyce Carey. Mad old painter likes Blake and Spinoza, never has enough readies available to finish any paintings. An enjoyable farce but not the best thing I've read about mad painters.
74 The Mirror of the Sea by Joseph Conrad. Just up close, plotless discussions of how tall ships were sailed. I picked up a copy of Melville's White Jacket which is the same thing, coincidentally. Anyway, love that Conrad.
75 Don Carmusso by Machado de Assis as translated by John Gledson. I was really excited when I picked up this book and flipped through a page or something of sparkling prose but when I got to the end of it I realized I'd actually read some of this guy before, Epitaph of a Small Winner. I loved him then too! If more of this guy falls into my hands, I wouldn't hate it!.

Honestly I'm pretty close to just putting down any of these as being "about an animal", I'm sure at least one of these had been banned at some point by somebody. I just need a recent book. Anyone know a recent book that's worthwhile?
75/60
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Rusty posted:

November books

76 . Woman in the Dunes by Kobo Abe
I guess you would call this a parable about life and our dead end jobs, directionless lives and eventual acceptance. It's about a man on vacation in the dunes by the ocean catching bugs, which he collects . He finds it late and decides to spend the night in a nearby village. The villagers approach him and offer him lodging, and help him down a ladder in to a pit in the sand where a woman lives. She spends her time trying to keep up with the sand that constantly threatens to overtake her home. He thinks this is all uncomfortable, sandy, and odd, and is glad to be leaving in the morning. He eventually figures out he has been kidnapped and forced to work with the woman to save her home and the village from the shifting sands. It's a mix of story telling, metaphor, and strangely enough some science about the sand. Anyway, it wasn't long and was a pretty good read, maybe 3 stars if I had to rate it. It is one of those books though that sticks with you and for some reason I remember in great detail.

Are you using the Michelin star system? because that is a top spot book.

Here are some more books that I read:

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov. real good

Silence by Shusaku Endo. pretty good. Scorcese is making a movie

Stories by Kafka. real good

Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. real good

A Webisode in the Life of a Landscape Painter by Cesar Aira. pretty good

Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. bad

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

david crosby posted:

Are you using the Michelin star system? because that is a top spot book.
You're right, I seem to like it more and more as I think about it. After the initial read for some reason I was disappointed and not entirely satisfied with the story, but it has grown on me more and more.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Bandiet posted:

1. The Stranger by Albert Camus
2. Sonnets by William Shakespeare
3. One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
4. Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
5. Hunger by Knut Hamsun
6. City On Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg
7. The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka
8. The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat
9. Kafka Translated by Michelle Woods
10. Some Haystacks Don't Even Have Any Needle, compiled by Stephen Dunning
11. One Of Us by Åsne Seierstad
12. Once On A Time by AA Milne
13. Scenes From Village Life by Amos Oz
14. Hystopia by David Means
15. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
16. The Black Swans by Margaret Scott
17. L'Assommoir by Émile Zola
18. My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante
19. Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
20. The Book of Tobit edited by Carey A. Moore
21. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
22. The Hatred Of Poetry by Ben Lerner
23. Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
24. Guide To Kulchur by Ezra Pound
25. Mr Cogito by Zbigniew Herbert
26. Amerika by Franz Kafka
27. Watt by Samuel Beckett
28. The Marvels by Brian Selznick
29. The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot
30. Elfin Rhymes by 'Norman'
31. Death To The Pigs and Other Writings by Benjamin Péret
32. The Worst Boy In School by Michael J. McCaffery
33. The Enormous Room by E.E. Cummings
34. Death In Venice by Thomas Mann
35. Monologue Of A Dog by Wisława Szymborska

Vanilla Number: 35/75
Read Something YA: The Marvels
Something written by a woman: Kafka Translated
Something written in the 1800s: Hunger
Something History Related: One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch
Read a long book, something over 500 pages: One Of Us
Read something about or set in NYC: City On Fire
Something recently published: Hystopia
That one book you've wanted to read for a while now: The Blind Owl
The First book in a series: My Brilliant Friend
Read something from the lost generation: Winesburg, Ohio
Read a banned book: Madame Bovary
A Short Story collection: Kafka's Complete Stories

36. The Sorrows Of Young Werther, by Goethe. I revisited this in preparation for Thomas Mann's Lotte In Weimar. It's easy to forget Werther only seems like a caricature because of the character's very real cultural influence.

37. The Book Of Songs, translated by Arthur Waley. Recc'd by my good friend Ezra Pound. The political poetry is about as insanely boring as you would expect. The ones that deal with more individual rituals of ancient Chinese life - family, marriage, work - are often beautiful and startling.

38. Selected Poems, by Ezra Pound. Here's a good followup to the above, so you can see how really simple the goals of his Imagist poems were. I've read some of the Cantos before, tried to read some of the other Cantos. Other than that I've been blind to Pound's poetry. Gooooood poo poo. Just please, skip the "translations."

39. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley. Trash

Vanilla Number: 39/75
Something Written by a nonwhite author: Book Of Songs
A work of Science Fiction: Frankenstein

I need a wildcard for this last month.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

November - 10:

71. Wind Pinball (Haruki Murakami)
72. The Three Emperors (Miranda Carter)
73. How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone (Sasa Stanisic)
74. Hokkaido Highway Blues (Will Ferguson)
75. Love in Small Letters (Francesc Miralles)
76. The Penelopiad (Margaret Atwood)
77. Aneurin Bevan: A Biography - Volume 1: 1897-1945 (Michael Foot)
78. Crash (JG Ballard)
79. The Atrocity Exhibition (JG Ballard)
80. The Watchmaker of Filigree Street (Natasha Pulley)

Wind Pinball is the combined English release of Murakami's first two novels, Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball 1973. They're weird to read now, not being in his familiar style and quite short. I'm not sure I exactly liked them, but it was interesting to read them.

The Three Emperors is the story of the three major emperors of the First World War - George V, Nicholas II and Wilhelm II. It explores their relationships to each other, their approach to running their respective countries, and the parts they played in the lead up to the war. Since they're all related quite closely via Victoria, things were pretty twisted. It's an interesting period of history and Carter handles it excellently, although in places it's repetitive - which is the fault of history not always playing to a narrative.

How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone is a semi-autobiographical novel about the break-up of Yugoslavia, told from the perspective of a mixed-ethnicity Bosnian child (initially) called Aleksandar. It's funny and touching and horrifying all at the same time, and takes a light touch to the events which just makes them worse.

Hokkaido Highway Blues is travel writer Will Ferguson hitchhiking his way from the far southwest of Kyushu in Japan to the far northeast of Hokkaido. It's a funny and lighthearted look at Japan, and thankfully Ferguson a) likes Japan but b) isn't a weeaboo. It's hilarious how often the people who pick him up tell him "Japanese people never pick up hitchhikers!", while they pick up a hitchhiker. I learnt a lot and also had a good time reading it which is solid travel writing imo.

Love in Small Letters was a self-help book disguised, badly, as a novel. It wasn't quite as egregious as The Alchemist, but it was pretty close. It also includes a main character who literally thinks about his love interest, who barely knows him, as a "reward" for his (very shallow) journey. If someone had told me 2/3rds of the way in that there was going to be a twist where he turns out to be a psycho and ends up killing her and wearing her skin, I'd have believed them. Sadly it didn't go that way and instead it bumbled along spouting bad cod philosophy and at the end everything worked out for our main man, because he's just that good a person.

The Penelopiad is a retelling of the Odyssey from Penelope's perspective. It's typical Atwood - biting, pacy, colourful. I liked it but it's maybe a little bit lightweight.

Crash and The Atrocity Exhibition have a lot in common (the antagonist in Crash shows up in TAE). They're both explorations of mass consumer culture, typified by cars and mass advertising. There's a lot of repetition of phrases and themes to drive it home, and both benefit from keeping it short. Both obsess over celebrity - Elizabeth Taylor plays a central part in Crash and TAE (as the goon above indicated who I wildcarded this - sorry!) focuses around JFK and Reagan among others. One amusing sidenote was Ralph Nader, who's mentioned several times. At time of writing he was best known as a safety campaigner, and in my annotated copy Ballard notes that he's probably the figure who's had least impact since and has probably been forgotten. Little did JG know how the 2000 Presidential election would play out.

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street was fantastic for 280 pages and then totally hosed it in the last 40. The book centres around Thaniel Steepleton, a Home Office telegraphist with a boring life, and his relationship with Keira Mori, a Japanese from a samurai family who moved to England and is working as a watchmaker. Mori has a certain amount of clairvoyance, which forms the central thrust of the plot. The first half is slow paced but interesting, the next quarter starts to go off the rails, and the ending fails in just about every way. I guess I'd describe it as "interesting but flawed."

Year to Date - 80:
Booklord: 1-13, 15-22

01. Death and the Penguin (Andrey Kurkov) 6
02. Kitchen (Banana Yoshimoto) 2
03. Sky Burial (Xinran) 3
04. The Shining (Stephen King) 16
05. Come As You Are: The Story of Nirvana (Michael Azerrad) 18
06. A Case of Exploding Mangoes (Mohammed Hanif) 12
07. A Visit from the Goon Squad (Jennifer Egan) 11
08. King of the World (David Remnick)
09. Norwegian Wood (Haruki Murakami)
10. Ubik (Philip K. Dick) 8
11. The Vegetarian (Han Kang) 15
12. Waiting for the Barbarians (J.M. Coetzee)
13. John Crow's Devil (Marlon James)
14. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy) 4
15. The Dream Life of Sukhanov (Olga Grushin)
16. Farewell, Cowboy (Olja Savicevic)
17. A History of Sparta 950-192BC (W.G. Forrest) 5
18. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
19. The Guest Cat (Takashi Hiraida)
20. The Book of Memory (Petina Gappah)
21. The Old Man and the Sea (Ernest Hemingway) 19
22. Fury (Salman Rushdie)
23. Ninja (John Man)
24. Concrete Island (JG Ballard)
25. A God in Ruins (Kate Atkinson) 10
26. Dead Souls (Nikolai Gogol)
27. Perdido Street Station (China Mieville) 17
28. A Little Life (Hanya Yanagihara)
29. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
30. The Mark and the Void (Paul Murray)
31. The Iliad (Homer)
32. Girls of Riyadh (Rajaa Alsanea) 20
33. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion (Yukio Mishima)
34. Steampunk! (Kelly Link & Gavin J. Grant) 13
35. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (James Joyce)
36. The Chimes (Anna Smaill) 9
37. The Art of Joy (Goliarda Sapienza)
38. Fever Pitch (Nick Hornby)
39. Fateless (Imre Kertesz)
40. Britannia: A History of Roman Britain (Sheppard Frere)
41. Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage (Haruki Murakami) 22
42. Candide, or Optimism (Voltaire)
43. Dubliners (James Joyce) 21
44. The Fall of the Stone City (Ismail Kadare)
45. Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives (Alan Bullock)
46. The Sympathizer (Viet Thanh Nguyen)
47. Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
48. The Gum Thief (Douglas Coupland)
49. Eric (Terry Pratchett)
50. Beauty is a Wound (Eka Kurniawan)
51. A Wild Sheep Chase (Haruki Murakami)
52. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (Aleskandr Solzhenitsyn)
53. Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe (Norman Davies) 7
54. Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error (Kathryn Schulz)
55. Sword Song (Bernard Cornwell)
56. Inez (Carlos Fuentes)
57. Two Years, Eight Months, and Twenty Eight Nights (Salman Rushdie)
58. The Burning Land (Bernard Cornwell)
59. Death of Kings (Bernard Cornwell)
60. Life After Life (Kate Atkinson)
61. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
62. A General Theory of Oblivion (José Eduardo Agualusa)
63. From the Mouth of the Whale (Sjón)
64. The Rabbit Back Literature Society (Pasi Ilmari Jaaskelainen)
65. VALIS (Philip K. Dick)
66. High-Rise (JG Ballard)
67. The Heart Goes Last (Margaret Atwood)
68. The Hungry Ghosts (Shyam Selvadurai)
69. The Dream of the Celt (Mario Vargas Llosa)
70. Ficciones (Jorge Luis Borges)
71. Wind Pinball (Haruki Murakami)
72. The Three Emperors (Miranda Carter)
73. How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone (Sasa Stanisic)
74. Hokkaido Highway Blues (Will Ferguson)
75. Love in Small Letters (Francesc Miralles)
76. The Penelopiad (Margaret Atwood)
77. Aneurin Bevan: A Biography - Volume 1: 1897-1945 (Michael Foot)
78. Crash (JG Ballard)
79. The Atrocity Exhibition (JG Ballard)
80. The Watchmaker of Filigree Street (Natasha Pulley)

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

November

54. The Light Between Oceans. M.L. Stedman. One dull book. The descriptions and the story were just fine, but the characters and the endless parade of side stories is boring and depressing.
55. Jaws. Peter Benchley. Too many plot-lines, not enough adventure or shark. I'm glad the movie trimmed some stuff.
56. Sandkings. George R. R. Martin. Amazing little story, quite fun and engaging. A show of what's to come for the author.
57. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Philip K. Dick. One of those books you have to reread once in a while. Still as good as the first time.
58. Numero Cero. Umberto Eco. Too many weird Italian references I didn't understand, that wouldn't be a problem if those weren't the core of the novel...
59. The Sun Also Rises. Ernest Hemingway. Kind of boring, kind of decadent, just like the Lost Generation. Regular...

Booklord challenge
1) Vanilla Number 59/60
2) Something written by a woman - Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - La otra historia de México: Juárez y Maximiliano I by Armando Fuentes Aguirre.
4) Something written in the 1800s - Forty Stories by Anton Chekhov
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - Jaws by Peter Benchley
7) A collection of essays. Death by Black Hole by Neal DeGrasse Tyson
8) A work of Science Fiction - Caliban's War by James S. A. Corey.
9) Something written by a musician
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.
11) Read something about or set in NYC - American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect)
13) Read Something YA. Harry Potter and the Globet of Fire by J.K. Rowling.
14) Wildcard! Ragnarok by AS Byatt.
15) Something recently published
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. Steering the Craft by Ursula K. Le Guin.
17) The First book in a series - The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket.
18) A biography or autobiography - Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Genneration - The sun also rises by Ernest Hemingway
20) Read a banned book. The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis
21) A Short Story collection. Forty Stories by Anton Chekhov
22) It’s a Mystery - Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

Still four to go, good enough for the last month.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Prolonged Shame posted:

1) The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion - Fannie Flagg
2) Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale
3) Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
4) Agnes Grey - Anne Brontë
5) The Corinthian - Georgette Heyer
6) Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #6) - Charlaine Harris
7) Redeemer: The Life of Jimmy Carter - Randall Balmer
8) The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up - Marie Kondo
9) Three-Ten to Yuma and Other Stories - Elmore Leonard
10) The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer - Siddhartha Mukherjee
11) The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith
12) Euphoria - Lily King
13) All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #7) - Charlaine Harris
14) From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse #8) - Charlaine Harris
15) The Angel of Darkness - Caleb Carr
16) Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal - Mary Roach
17) The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Anne Brashares
18) M Train - Patti Smith
19) Hope: A Memoir of Survival in Cleveland - Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus
20) The Barbary Pirates (Ethan Gage #4) - William Dietrich
21) Victory of Eagles (Temeraire #5) - Naomi Novik
22) Beacon 23 - Hugh Howey
23) In the Night Garden - Catherynne M. Valente
24) Julie and Julia - Julie Powell
25) Keeping the House - Ellen Baker
26) Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up - Marie Kondo
27) The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K. Le Guin
28) My Man Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse
29) No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
30) The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
31) President Reagan - The Role of a Lifetime - Lou Cannon
32) Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse #9) - Charlaine Harris
33) 41: A Portrait of My Father - George W. Bush
34) One of Us: Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway - Asne Seierstad
35) Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire #6) - Naomi Novik
36) The Post-Office Girl - Stefan Zwieg
37) Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald
38) The Confusions of Young Torless - Robert Musil
39) Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse #10) - Charlaine Harris
40) The Quick and the Dead - Louis L'Amour
41) Fire From Heaven - Mary Renault
42) The Romanov sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholad and Alexandra - Helen Rappaport
43) Station Eleven - Emily st. John Mandel
44) The Martian - Andy Weir
45) Missoula - John Krakauer
46) Three Bags Full - Leonie Swann
47) My Life - Bill Clinton
48) The Unknown Ajax - Georgette Heyer
49) Encore Provence: New Adventures in the South of France - Peter Mayle
50) Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? - Mindy Kaling
51) Hot Lights, Cold Steel: Life, Death, And Sleepless Nights in a Surgeon's First Years - Michael J. Collins
52) In the Cities of Coin and Spice (Orphans Tales 2) - Catherynne M. Valente
53) Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard 2) - Scott Lynch
54) Decision Points - George W. Bush
55) Career of Evil - Robert Galbraith
56)Venetia - Georgette Heyer
57) Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse 11)- Charlaine Harris
58) All the Birds, Singing - Evie Wyld
59) The World According to Garp - John Irving
60) Dreams from my Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance - Barack Obama
61) The Sound of Glass - Karen White
62) Crucible of Gold (Temeraire #7) - Naomi Novik
63) Xtabentum: A Novel of Yucatan - Rosy Hugener
64) Cry, the Beloved Country - Alan Paton
65) Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse #12) - Charlaine Harris
66) The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard #3) - Scott Lynch
67) Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy #2) - Mira Grant
68) Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse #13) - Charlaine Harris
69) The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
70) All the Light we Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
71) Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire #8) - Naoni Novik
72) Yes Please - Amy Poehler
73) 1 Dead in attic: Post-Katrina Stories - Chris Rose
74) The Miracles of Prato - Laurie Lico Albanese
75) The Weight of Water - Anita Shreve
76) The Zen of Fish: The Story of Sushi, from Samurai to Supermarket - Trevor Corson
77) Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - J.K. Rowling
78) The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell
79) League of Dragons (Temeraire #9) - Naomi Novik
80) Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy #3) - Mira Grant
81) The Tropic of Serpents - Marie Brennan
82) House of Cards - Michael Dobbs
83) Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park - Lee H. Whittlesey
84) Dept. of Speculation - Jenny Offill
85) Binti - Nnedi Okorafor
86) Kristin Lavransdatter - Sigrid Undset
87) Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History - Eric Larson
88) An Embarrassment of Mangoes - Anne Vanderhoof
89) The Girl in the Spider's Web - David Lagercrantz
90) Winter's Bone - Daniel Woodrell
91) Escape - Carolyn Jessop
92) The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
93) Wolf in White Van - John Darnielle
94) Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly - Anthony Bourdain

95) The Boston Girl - Anita Diamant: The story of the daughter of Jewish immigrants growing up in early 20th century Boston. I really liked it and it was very well written, but there was no real conflict or plot beyond 'I did this, then I did this, then this person died, etc etc". Still, quite good.
96) Forensics: What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA and More Tell Us About Crime - Val McDermid: Each chapter focuses on a different crime scene discipline (fingerprints, entymology, etc) and how it came about, evolved, notable cases it was used in, and how it is used today. Very interesting and written for the layman.
97) City of Stairs - Robert Jackson Bennett: This was ok. I liked the worldbuilding, and the characters were well made, but it wasn't gripping enough for me to want to continue the series. Ok as a standalone though.
98) Girl in Hyacinth Blue - Susan Vreeland: I loved this. It is a series of short stories, sort of, each about the owner of a fictional possible-Vermeer painting. It tells of how they acquired the painting and why they had to get rid of it, going back in time from owner to owner until we hear the stories of the painter and subject of the painting. It's a quick read and well worth it.
99) Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke: I really wanted to like this, but it read like she was paid by the word, and when the plot doesn't really get going until page 700 of an 800 page book, I just couldn't.
100) The Emerald Storm (Ethan Gage #5) - William Dietrich: This was marginally better than the rest of the books in the series. Probably because none of the female characters was unable to resist loving Our Hero.

Overall:
Total: 100/100
A-Z Challenge: 26/26
Booklord Challenge: 22/22
Presidential Biographies: 6/6

Done with my goal with a month to go!

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Far too late October/November update...

1. Exoskeleton by Shane Stadler
2. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
3. The Serpent by Claire North
4. Dear Mr Kershaw: A Pensioner Writes by Derek Philpott
5. Bossypants by Tina Fey
6. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
7. The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman
8. The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Steifvater
9. The Dream Thieves (Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Steifvater
10. Blue Lily, Lily Blue (Raven Cycle #3) by Maggie Steifvater
11. Modern Romance by Aziz Anzari
12. Legend by Marie Lu
13. Sabriel by Garth Nix
14. Three men on a boat by Jerome K Jerome
15. Thus Spake Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche
16. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
17. Touched by an Angel by Jonathan Morris
18. River of Ink by Paul M M Cooper
19. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
20. Mr Mercedes by Steven King
21. I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir
22. Unwanted by Kristina Ohlsson
23. Close Encounters of the Furred Kind by Tom Cox
24. I Am a Cat by Natsume Soseki
25. The Girl You Lost by Kathryn Croft
26. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling
27. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling
28. The Infinite Wait and Other Stories by Julia Wertz
29. Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
30. Spectacles by Sue Perkins
31. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison
32. Career of Evil by Robert Galbreith
33. The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly
34. The Fuller Memorandum by Charles Stross
35. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling
36. The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
37. The Apocolypse Files by Charles Stross
38. The World Walker by Ian W. Sainsbury
39/40. Rat Queens Vol 2 & 3 by Kurtis J Weibe
41: Esio Trot by Roald Dahl
42: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
43. Sapiens: A Brief History of Mankind by Yuval Noah Harari
44. Moranifesto by Caitlin Moran

45, 46 & 47: Harry Potter and the OotP/HBP/DH by JK Rowling. Finished the series off while on holiday, I always enjoy re-reading these and once it gets past the main teenage angst things improve considerably. I wish JK was a slightly better writer though.

48. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Well I am a giant nerd so it had to happen at some point. I actually listened to the audiobook and enjoyed Wil Wheaton's narration, and the plot did keep me interested. Jeepers I wish it was easier to skip ahead in audiobooks though, there is just so much time wasted by pointless, overlong descriptions of anything even vaguely geek related that added nothing to the plot or characters. It almost stopped me reading listening but not quite.

49. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr I loved this - I'm not usually one for historical fiction, but this was a beautiful if occasionally horrifying book. Quite different, seeing the world from the perspective of a blind girl and a Nazi and how their lives eventually weave together.

50. Kingpin by Kevin Poulsen Fascinating look at hacking and cybercrime, told mostly through the life of 'Max Vision' (seriously) who while being probably a sociopath, at least tried to use his powers for good. Well, sometimes. I'm glad card security has got a lot better but it really drove home how huge cybercrime is, it's never going away.

51. The Passage by Justin Cronin I really liked this for the most part. A slightly different take on the post apocalyptic story, where you see the world as it was before and how the apocalypse part happened, and then move on to the world after. There were some really good sections, I liked the use of letters/emails to move the story on, and it kept me intrigued. Very bloated though and a bit too much going on, it was hard to keep track at points. It's the first in a trilogy but disappointingly from what I've read the second doesn't really pick up where this one left off so I'm not sure I'll read it.

I still have a few books left on my challenge list - I'm working on the wildcard and 'book I've wanted to read for a while now' (The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell) but I still need to find something written by a musician, and something by the lost/beat generation. I have time off over Christmas so hopefully can get through four this month.

Booklord Challenge Progress
1) Vanilla Number - 51/35
2) Something written by a woman - The Serpent
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Modern Romance
4) Something written in the 1800s - Thus Spake Zarathustra
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) A Brief History of Mankind
6) A book about or narrated by an animal I Am A Cat
7) A collection of essays. Moranifesto
8) A work of Science Fiction - Touched by an Angel
9) Something written by a musician
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - House of Leaves
11) Read something about or set in NYC - Let the Great World Spin
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect) The Great Zoo of China
13) Read Something YA - Legends
14) Wildcard!
15) Something recently published - River of Ink
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now.
17) The First book in a series - The Raven Boys
18) A biography or autobiography - Bossypants
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Genneration
20) Read a banned book Harry Potter Series
21) A Short Story collection I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
22) It’s a Mystery. I Remember You

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I was really bad about updating in that I haven't done it all. I am a bad boy.

23/26 books down which is pretty good going for me (only managed like 12 last year). Would've done much better but had a few relapses into not reading anything for a few weeks. Definitely getting better!!

Some of these challenge books are probably stretching a bit but eh. I'm not reading 70 books over here.

1) Vanilla Number - 23/26
2) Something written by a woman - Texts from Jane Eyre by Mallory Ortberg (I used my other women for other questions ok)
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - The Vegetarian by Han Kang
4) Something written in the 1800s - Three Men in a Goat by Jerome K Jerome
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - Empire of the Sun by JG Ballard
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - Firmin by Sam Savage
7) A collection of essays
8) A work of Science Fiction - The Long War by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter
9) Something written by a musician - Daft Wee Stories by Limmy (Limmy makes music sometimes)
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
11) Read something about or set in NYC - The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect) - Hitman Anders and the Meaning of it All by Jonas Jonasson (dunno if it really counts but it's light reading, fast-paced and has a thriller-ish comedy plot so w/e)
13) Read Something YA
14) Wildcard! - Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge) - Buttageddon by Chuck Tingle
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. - Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse
17) The First book in a series - The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
18) A biography or autobiography
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Genneration
20) Read a banned book - Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
21) A Short Story collection - Three Moments of an Explosion by China Mieville
22) It’s a Mystery - The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

November
60. Rogue Heroes: The History of the SAS- Ben Macintyre
61. Wolf In White Van- John Darnielle
62. Double Cross: The True Story of the D-Day Spies- Ben Macintyre. I really enjoy Macintyre's books as the perfect mix of informative and entertaining. This one especially knocks it out of the park with a nice overview of Britain's Double Cross but also delightful tidbits about slightly related weird operations, like pigeon espionage.
63. The Anatomy of Fascism- Robert O Paxton. Took me forever to read because I was taking notes and wanted to write down like every other sentence. An incredibly thorough dissection of the process of fascism. Depressingly relevant.

Hit me with a Wildcard please. Hopefully a relatively short one since I put it off so long.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

November:

Ken Kesey - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Read this to finish off my beat generation challenge, which was my last remaining Booklord Challenge. I really liked it and enjoyed how it was from the POV of the Chief, since my only exposure to this was the film which I haven't seen in 5+ years.)
Jen Kirkman - I Know What I'm Doing (This was bad. I generally don't like comedian books even though I love stand-up because it often feels like stage material adapted to sound kinda like a story, kinda. This is one of the worst offenders for that.)
Harold Schechter - Deviant: The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original Psycho (I bought this for four bucks in a used bookstore. It's pretty much what you'd expect, a biography of noted creep Ed Gein. He, uh, was gross? Had a belt made of nipples and a bunch of 'clothes' made out of people skin. So yeah, gross.)

Booklord Challenge progress:
1) Vanilla Number (currently at 47 of 40)
2) 15 books written by women (currently at 17 of 15)
3) Something written by a nonwhite author (Kiese Laymon - How to Slowly Kill Yourselves and Others in America)
4) Something written in the 1800s (Charles Dickens - Oliver Twist)
5) Something History Related (Thomas King - The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America)
6) A book about or narrated by an animal (Richard Adams - Watership Down)
7) A collection of essays (Charlie Demers - The Horrors)
8) A work of Science Fiction (Joseph Fink - Welcome to Night Vale)
9) Something written by a musician (Carrie Brownstein - Hunger Makes me a Modern Girl)
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages (Tana French - The Likeness)
11) Read something about or set in NYC (Richard Hell - I Dreamed I was a Very Clean Tramp)
12) Read Airplane fiction (Paula Hawkins - The Girl on the Train)
13) Read Something YA (Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games)
14) Wildcard! (Norman Mailer - The Executioner's Song)
15) Something recently published (Emily V Gordon - Super You)
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. (Patti Smith - Just Kids)
17) The First book in a series (Adam Sternbergh - Shovel Ready)
18) A biography or autobiography (RA Dickey - Wherever I Wind Up)
19) Read something from the lost or beat generation (Ken Kesey - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)
20) Read a banned book (Yevgeny Zamyatin - We)
21) A Short Story collection (Joe Hill - 20th Century Ghosts)
22) It’s a Mystery (Tana French - Faithful Place)

I still have to finish one more book to hit my Goodreads challenge so I will post again after December, but I'm finished, Booklord Challenge complete.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'm figuring out the categories for next year's booklord challenge and I think I'm mostly settled, but I figured I'd ask - is there anything that anyone especially wants to see included? Can be stuff from previous years, stuff that's not been done before but that you'd like, whatever. I have 20 settled already so probably only a couple more to include if anything good comes up.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Corrode posted:

I'm figuring out the categories for next year's booklord challenge and I think I'm mostly settled, but I figured I'd ask - is there anything that anyone especially wants to see included? Can be stuff from previous years, stuff that's not been done before but that you'd like, whatever. I have 20 settled already so probably only a couple more to include if anything good comes up.
A homosexual European male writes very long sentences about cows for 200 pages
Writers who think fascism was cool
Out of print
A book by a black african who isn't famous
Something put out by a small/independent press

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
at least two Bob Dylan's album sleeves or a Warhammer book

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

A human heart posted:

A homosexual European male writes very long sentences about cows for 200 pages
Writers who think fascism was cool
Out of print
A book by a black african who isn't famous
Something put out by a small/independent press

What about a gay black African fascist?

Burning Rain posted:

at least two Bob Dylan's album sleeves or a Warhammer book

gently caress the whole horus heresy series was already in there, now you've ruined the surprise

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
ebooks are technically "out of print"

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Corrode posted:

Literally any poetry

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Corrode posted:

I think some of the existing ones are good but maybe they could take a little more effort. Like, asking people to read one book by a woman seems sad as gently caress. How about a higher number, or a base percentage of the vanilla number, or something like that?

I'd also like to see some abstract ones, here's some random throwing poo poo at the wall ones:
"War" could be OK, people could read historical books or War and Peace or some dumb Star Trek war, or however they want to interpret it.
"Fear" could work, interpret it as a horror category or read a nonfiction book about fear or read a book about something that scares you, etc.
"Fire and Water"

Maybe "something by an author who is from where you live" or "something translated from a language you don't speak" idk

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

a book by a goon author

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I honestly kind of liked when Stravinsky was straight up like "read The Blind Owl". Although maybe do like a specific prolific author instead of just one good book?

I also like more abstract, interpretive challenges since that gets people talking more about what could be covered, and keeps the thread from entirely being lists of books.

The Berzerker posted:

I think some of the existing ones are good but maybe they could take a little more effort. Like, asking people to read one book by a woman seems sad as gently caress. How about a higher number, or a base percentage of the vanilla number, or something like that?

Yeah if you are reading more than 20 books in a year and at at least a handful aren't already by women, that's kind of hosed up. Same with nonwhite author (a specific ethnicity I can see being hard but "nonwhite" is like 80% of the planet). That also goes back to my point about discussion because of course you can pretty easily find a single book by a woman/POC just by accident but if you have to do 25% that might lead to things like "I really want to read an alt-history civil war book but are there any by women??"

Also I was thinking maybe like a points based challenge that rewards combining categories (a play set in space, translated poetry about a historical event, a post-modern novel written by POC woman from your home town, etc) or doing multiple of the same challenge. Like a "pick from this list of categories to build your own unique challenge" sort of thing?

Actually, this is kind of fun to think about, I might run the 2018 challenge (if I'm not super lazy instead).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Guy A. Person posted:

Also I was thinking maybe like a points based challenge that rewards combining categories (a play set in space, translated poetry about a historical event, a post-modern novel written by POC woman from your home town, etc) or doing multiple of the same challenge. Like a "pick from this list of categories to build your own unique challenge" sort of thing?

Actually, this is kind of fun to think about, I might run the 2018 challenge (if I'm not super lazy instead).

My preference goes against combining categories because for me the point of the challenge is to broaden people's horizons a bit and encourage them to read things they otherwise wouldn't have, and I think that's more effective if someone can't go "well, I read one book by a gay black woman, so that's that for the year and back to reading the Star Wars EU." I can see how your way would be cool though.

Abstract categories are definitely something I've tried to keep in mind. I liked the colour red one Stravinsky did even if I picked the laziest possible thing for it. It's definitely a better discussion point than "do the unambiguous thing."

The Berzerker posted:

Maybe "something by an author who is from where you live" or "something translated from a language you don't speak" idk

Something in translation is already in there! I like the idea of percentages - probably not too high, but more than the current one and done.

Bandiet posted:

Literally any poetry

ugh I hate reading poetry (this is probably why it's a good idea)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Guy A. Person posted:

I also like more abstract, interpretive challenges since that gets people talking more about what could be covered, and keeps the thread from entirely being lists of books.

Yeah I am hoping there are more of these in general, I think they are the most interesting.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah if you are reading more than 20 books in a year and at at least a handful aren't already by women, that's kind of hosed up. Same with nonwhite author (a specific ethnicity I can see being hard but "nonwhite" is like 80% of the planet). That also goes back to my point about discussion because of course you can pretty easily find a single book by a woman/POC just by accident but if you have to do 25% that might lead to things like "I really want to read an alt-history civil war book but are there any by women??"

I agree that the list thing is not interesting but it does seem like every year there are people who are like "who is a woman author who is good??" or people who don't cross off the "read literally one book by a woman" challenge until the fall, and that is weird as hell

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Corrode posted:

How about an exclusionary category. Don't Read Young Adult Novels For A Year or something like that. Maybe this is too exclusionary and negative, but I think it's a good idea.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's not

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

david crosby posted:

How about an exclusionary category. Don't Read Young Adult Novels For A Year or something like that. Maybe this is too exclusionary and negative, but I think it's a good idea.

It depends on the category. Some of what gets thrown in YA seems pretty arbitrary to me, and it isn't really consistent either.

Oh, and I was going to suggest a holiday themed entry. Just general, so read a book about Valentines, Thanksgiving, Canadian Thanksgiving, or even Canadian Christmas. Could be a good general one to allow for a broad range of preferences within a topic.

Ben Nevis fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 7, 2016

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

A book by an LGTBQ author seems like a good obvious addition.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

david crosby posted:

This would be good, but it should also have genre fiction and books by living americans in it

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

A human heart posted:

This would be good, but it should also have genre fiction and books by living americans in it

Make it a choose your own category to exclude so we can exclude literature because gently caress people telling us what we can and cannot read.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the mother fuckin literature excluder......

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Bandiet posted:

Literally any poetry

Literally all the poetry

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Give people a challenge to read a short poem that was originally in a foreign language and then provide their own short translation of it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ltr posted:

Make it a choose your own category to exclude so we can exclude literature because gently caress people telling us what we can and cannot read.

It's good to tell people what they shouldn't read actually.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

At least one superhero comic "deconstructing" the Superman archetype

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Have a category where I just tell you every book you should read.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Incredibly forced "this is relevant to the current political situation" category

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

CestMoi posted:

Incredibly forced "this is relevant to the current political situation" category

Everyone's gonna have to read The Art of the Deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Read a Play
Read a book published the year you were born.
Read a collection of poetry
Read a collection of short stories
Read horror.

• Locked thread