Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arivia posted:

It'd be fine except for the person WHO CAN'T SEE THE LACK OF A FLOOR RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM.

Maybe he's Chinese and expects there to be glass floors everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's white on white on white. If the walls were a contrasting colour or there was any sort of visible warning around the opening he'd probably have noticed. People also aren't used to huge unmarked unprotected holes in the floor.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Baronjutter posted:

How are there possibly no railings there???

Espera/Escada would indicate that this is some place that speaks Portuguese, likely Brazil or Portugal. Wherever it is, their building codes are likely much more lax.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

It's white on white on white. If the walls were a contrasting colour or there was any sort of visible warning around the opening he'd probably have noticed. People also aren't used to huge unmarked unprotected holes in the floor.

He also should not have trusted the pusher robot

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Tunicate posted:

He also should not have trusted the pusher robot

Was he trying to escape the terrible secret of space?

gently caress I'm old

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

This was not fun to put in place.
A shade over 2T being placed in on the teleporter extended to 11m with the warning sirens howling
All so that my boss could save £150 on not hiring a crane.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Salisbury Snape posted:

A shade over 2T being placed in on the teleporter extended to 11m with the warning sirens howling

How much would a service call cost on that equipment plus the lost business during down time if you had broken it?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

kid sinister posted:

How much would a service call cost on that equipment plus the lost business during down time if you had broken it?

But he didn't. So this will become the new standard until it does break.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

But he didn't. So this will become the new standard until it does break.

Then it's operator error.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

kid sinister posted:

It's our bosses brothers manitou. We lent him our smaller one for the duration of us using the bigger one.
So it's cost him 5 mens pay for two days instead of 24h of having a crane hold it there

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

More than once the teleporter was in two wheels. It was dodgy af.
I refused to get any where near it

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Salisbury Snape posted:

the teleporter

i feel you've been burying the lede here

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Telehandler, forklift, bigass carrymobile. Whatever you want to call it. It was on two wheels and a little bit of poo came out just being on site with this crazy

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Salisbury Snape posted:

I worked granite countertops a while back and we had a huge load of finished 10' countertops on a big steel rack on a flatbed truck. Dunno the exact weight because the rack usually never left the truck and we would offload the slab one at a time as we needed them.

We arrive at the jobsite and there is literally a 10' wide moat around the building because they we doing some drainage/foundation work right before a huge downpour, site foreman gets the genius idea of using a teleboom to pick the entire rack up and extend it over the moat and set it on the newly finished wood deck outside the bar and kitchen we would be installing them.

My boss and the rest of the crew all voiced our concern that it was a terrible idea and we suggested we come back another day when the path was clear. Nonsense, we got our generators inside like this no problem says the guy on site.

He managed to clear the moat before the teleboom tilted right the gently caress over and dumped thousands of pounds of granite and steel onto the new wood deck, by some miracle it only broke half of the countertops but put a truck sized hole in the deck.

Spent the rest of the day cleaning up the mess and then headed back to the shop to re-fab the broken ones.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheDon01 posted:

I worked granite countertops a while back and we had a huge load of finished 10' countertops on a big steel rack on a flatbed truck. Dunno the exact weight because the rack usually never left the truck and we would offload the slab one at a time as we needed them.

We arrive at the jobsite and there is literally a 10' wide moat around the building because they we doing some drainage/foundation work right before a huge downpour, site foreman gets the genius idea of using a teleboom to pick the entire rack up and extend it over the moat and set it on the newly finished wood deck outside the bar and kitchen we would be installing them.

My boss and the rest of the crew all voiced our concern that it was a terrible idea and we suggested we come back another day when the path was clear. Nonsense, we got our generators inside like this no problem says the guy on site.

He managed to clear the moat before the teleboom tilted right the gently caress over and dumped thousands of pounds of granite and steel onto the new wood deck, by some miracle it only broke half of the countertops but put a truck sized hole in the deck.

Spent the rest of the day cleaning up the mess and then headed back to the shop to re-fab the broken ones.

And that’s how the foreman earned the nickname “Moses”.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This is a lot less fun in retrospect, after the fire has already consumed the building and dozens have died:
http://www.oaklandghostship.com/
Those are some photos of the warehouse / art studio space / illegal artist living space / illegal rave venue that burned down in Oakland. One thing the news reports mentioned in particular was that the stairs to the second floor were made from pallets. The city had investigated it for blight and illegal use as a residence before but inspectors couldn't get inside for some reason.
Goes to show that fire marshals aren't just there to ruin everyone's fun.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

There've been a couple posts on the hackerspaces.org email list about this, and at least it's sparked a little bit of discussion about fire safety in other similar communities. I know I'm a little more motivated to get the fire extinguishers inspected in the space I help run.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

It's tough because it's not like people choose to live there for no reason or because they like eschewing safety. It's a really difficult choice of "stay anywhere near the Bay Area in a deathtrap" or "move away from your friends and/or family." And for a lot of people, the immediate response was "well let's just kick them out, but not address any of the reasons why they were living there in the first place."

Safety Dance posted:

There've been a couple posts on the hackerspaces.org email list about this, and at least it's sparked a little bit of discussion about fire safety in other similar communities. I know I'm a little more motivated to get the fire extinguishers inspected in the space I help run.

Yeah, we need to get them mounted and the signage clearer. Stuff like this is why I bought so many of the drat things in the first place.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Salisbury Snape posted:

Telehandler, forklift, bigass carrymobile. Whatever you want to call it. It was on two wheels and a little bit of poo came out just being on site with this crazy

Telehandler :colbert:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

This is a lot less fun in retrospect, after the fire has already consumed the building and dozens have died:
http://www.oaklandghostship.com/
Those are some photos of the warehouse / art studio space / illegal artist living space / illegal rave venue that burned down in Oakland. One thing the news reports mentioned in particular was that the stairs to the second floor were made from pallets. The city had investigated it for blight and illegal use as a residence before but inspectors couldn't get inside for some reason.
This bums me out because it looks like a super nice place :(

... of course, now that it's happened, I can't help but think about all the wiring that has to have run through the place. Don't know if that's what caused the fire, but it comes to mind is all.

Either way, pallet stairs strike me as a... special approach to fire safety.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 6, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Scarodactyl posted:

I felt a bit cynical years ago when I had a marshal cite a property I worked at for having pails of sand stored underneath the bottom flight in a stairwell. Non-flammable, and the only thing it blocked was your ability to crawl into an 18 inch high nook under the bottom two or three stairs. Felt a lot like being pulled over for going 1 mph over the speed limit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

I felt a bit cynical years ago when I had a marshal cite a property I worked at for having pails of sand stored underneath the bottom flight in a stairwell. Non-flammable, and the only thing it blocked was your ability to crawl into an 18 inch high nook under the bottom two or three stairs. Felt a lot like being pulled over for going 1 mph over the speed limit.

There is zero tolerance for storage in an egress stairwell. Once one person puts something there then the next person comes along and thinks it's a good idea and the next time you show up for an annual inspection they've turned it into a bike storage and coat room (true story).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My landlord not only stores his personal poo poo at the bottom of the stairwell, but also demands the (only) house door be locked at night. One of the guys who helped us move in was a fireman and he pretty much just went "... right."

I ain't locking poo poo, by the way.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Motronic posted:

There is zero tolerance for storage in an egress stairwell. Once one person puts something there then the next person comes along and thinks it's a good idea and the next time you show up for an annual inspection they've turned it into a bike storage and coat room (true story).

I understand that, and it is perhaps a necessity in the world because people are idiots, but zero tolerance style policy is what makes people cynical.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What's the reasoning for not storing stuff under stairs, could it be potentially flammable and cut off the stairs in an emergency?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

I understand that, and it is perhaps a necessity in the world because people are idiots, but zero tolerance style policy is what makes people cynical.

Non-zero tolerance makes, sooner or later, people dead.

e: I've seen people leave the forks on a forklift elevated probably thousands of times and only seen what happens to a person's calves when they back into elevated forklift forks while driving a pallet jack once but once was rather enough and if any of the "I only left them like that for five minutes" piss-baby idiot hell fuckers are going to get a written warning because of me reporting them well that's just good and I'm glad because they probably won't do it again while I'm around even if for all the wrong reasons.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 6, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

FISHMANPET posted:

What's the reasoning for not storing stuff under stairs, could it be potentially flammable and cut off the stairs in an emergency?

I assume that the rule is just a flat 'no storage in the stairwell' to avoid the complications of having to work out exactly what is ok where in the stairwell. I assume that if you have some sort of actual built-in storage area it would be ok to use that (we have a closet under the stairs, but because of the design it isn't accessed from the stairwell at all, but from the room next to it and we have not had any issue with storing stuff in there on the risk of flammability/etc.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

My landlord not only stores his personal poo poo at the bottom of the stairwell, but also demands the (only) house door be locked at night. One of the guys who helped us move in was a fireman and he pretty much just went "... right."

I ain't locking poo poo, by the way.

Why wouldn't you lock your door at night?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Flammability of materials - when we're talking about a egress stairway it's going to be positively pressurized by the building HVAC system to keep it clear of smoke in the event of a fire - if the fire is in the stairway it's going to be FED by this increased air pressure and the flow from doors being opened, defeating the purpose of an egress stairway.

Also space. They are designed very carefully for the amount of people that are legally allowed to be in the building. Chipping away at that space because of storage is effectively derating the overall legal capacity of the building.

Ashcans posted:

I assume that the rule is just a flat 'no storage in the stairwell' to avoid the complications of having to work out exactly what is ok where in the stairwell. I assume that if you have some sort of actual built-in storage area it would be ok to use that (we have a closet under the stairs, but because of the design it isn't accessed from the stairwell at all, but from the room next to it and we have not had any issue with storing stuff in there on the risk of flammability/etc.)

If you have storage built into an required egress stairway it would be have to been done on a permit, with the proper materials, etc. It would likely be a 2 hour enclosure with a self-closing fire door in more commercial or multi tenant occupancies.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Non-zero tolerance makes, sooner or later, people dead.

Exactly this. It can't be allied to things that aren't potentially life threatening or it's just tiresome and ineffective. But a lot of building safety features don't look like building safety features and the average person has no idea how they work. I'm sure very few people know about things like positive pressure in stairwells during fires which might make them think twice about some of the other building features they see and stop doing things like chocking required fire doors open because they are too cheap to get the alarm company to come out and install proper magnetic lock-ups so the doors can remain open but be automatically released in the event of a fire alarm.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Maybe the Oakland fire will make it easier to convince my building's ownership to actually do some fire drills. Do the floor wardens know they may need to help people open the doors to the stairwell with the pressure fans running? Do we have floor wardens or did they leave the company and never get replaced? :iiam:

Every 3 months I write my "we are grossly overdue for a fire drill" email. Our last "fire drill" was when a valve blew on a package unit and aerosolized compressor oil and R-22 sprayed into the penthouse and set off a smoke head.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why wouldn't you lock your door at night?
Partly because if there is a fire, you would have to dig for the house key, or worse go back for it, to get out of the house. Locks that open from the inside without the key in an emergency are available, but we don't have one of those.

Oh I should probably mention: apartment building.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Partly because if there is a fire, you would have to dig for the house key, or worse go back for it, to get out of the house. Locks that open from the inside without the key in an emergency are available, but we don't have one of those.

Ohhhh. Yeah, I was imagining a house front door, not an apartment complex. Still, needing a key to get out of the building sounds rear end-backwards.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ohhhh. Yeah, I was imagining a house front door, not an apartment complex. Still, needing a key to get out of the building sounds rear end-backwards.

Just because civilized countries haven't had outer doors like that at all for a hundred years doesn't mean there's anything rear end-backwards about them!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My Lovely Horse posted:

The one and only time I've ever seen a door that needs a key to unlock on the inside was owned by someone who specifically installed it because they were paranoid about people smashing a window and reaching inside to unlock the door. Is it really a standard thing somewhere?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When I was in Ukraine in a lovely 2nd world apartment tower that was the first time I ever saw a lock that needed a key to be used from the inside. It means if the door is locked you can't get OUT without finding your key, that seemed totally hosed up. I don't expect panic hardware on someone's apartment or building door, but no door should ever need a key to get out.

My wife's lovely insurance office in a old stip mall had a lock like that. Needed a key on both sides. I mentioned it to her and she mentioned it to her boss. He said it would be too expensive to replace and that it was totally up to code and very normal in an office and "prevents customers from locking the door" and got mad that she even suggested it being a bad thing. Like a week later the fire inspector came in and said they couldn't open for the public until they replaced their death-trap lock. Boss had a new lock set installed same-day but grumbled all day about government red tape and the nanny state.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 6, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

The one and only time I've ever seen a door that needs a key to unlock on the inside was owned by someone who specifically installed it because they were paranoid about people smashing a window and reaching inside to unlock the door. Is it really a standard thing somewhere?

Installing a metal grating or bars on the window would've been my (and a lot of other peoples') choice :shrug:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jerry Cotton posted:

Installing a metal grating or bars on the window would've been my (and a lot of other peoples') choice :shrug:

I thought it was a really dumb idea but mostly because we lived in an upscale suburb with an almost zero crime rate. I guess they had a different perspective of the place but didn't want to make their front door less pretty or something.

Personally I'd rather be able to leave in an emergency.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

BattleMaster posted:

It's called a double-cylinder, it's still pretty typical. You can buy double cylinder deadbolts at Lowes, nothing weird there. I have one on the outer door to my garage. That being said, there are still plenty of alternate exits available, and we leave that bolt open anyhow unless we're actually leaving town for a while and want to button the place up a little extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Bad Munki posted:

It's called a double-cylinder, it's still pretty typical. You can buy double cylinder deadbolts at Lowes, nothing weird there. I have one on the outer door to my garage. That being said, there are still plenty of alternate exits available, and we leave that bolt open anyhow unless we're actually leaving town for a while and want to button the place up a little extra.
Most areas don't allow double-cylinder locks in residential buildings at all, just to keep people from using them on an exit door.