Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

A guy who sweats nitroglycerin must be a real hit in additional screening at the airport

Bakugou probably just flies to his destination on his own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I imagine that when 80% of people have superpowers, many of which are insanely destructive, airport security staff have mostly just given up and slunk home.
that or people with powers similar to eraserhead's are in really high demand

just a dude standing at the front of the plane, glaring at every single passenger

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Adelheid posted:

Bakugou probably just flies to his destination on his own

Hes part of the Uravity Airlines flyers club
Apparently has a shitload of miles stored ip.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 8, 2016

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I can't believe Deku killed Bakugou.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jose posted:

he's trained a ridiculous amount its not really being a savant

He's always been a tier above though. Remember how he had the highest combat score in the hero entrance exam? Before he got any formal training he's been good at fighting and not just the "hit them really hard" school of fighting.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"Rocket Man" would be a great hero name for Bakugou

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Makes me wonder: What's the "official" translation for Baron Explodo-Kill?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Makes me wonder: What's the "official" translation for Baron Explodo-Kill?

Deadly Queen.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Baron of Donuts

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Deku hasn't been viscerally injured lately, maybe he'll regret blowing his leg off when he jostled the guy made of explosions too hard.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Alright, who called it? I don't wanna go back and check, but someone called this poo poo exactly.

Pretty sure that was me.

Silver2195 posted:

Deku has had a while to adjust to his powers since he started being able to use 5% safely. It's possible he'll win by pushing himself to 8% or something and not break anything.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 8, 2016

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I like how Deku just pulls a 60% power and speed increase out of his rear end. It'd be like running against Usain Bolt in the Olympics, him grunting "Hngh finally... a worthy opponent" and sprinting at 44mph when you thought he was only capable of 27.

That weightlifter over there that just lifted 579 lbs? He yells "watch this, fucker" over to you and spontaneously lifts 925lbs because he thought you wanted a challenge.

The proper reaction should be for secondary characters to poo poo their pants when the kid decides to get real.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

He already had that power and speed but using it would literally destroy him. Constant training and events made him tougher, but he's being as careful as he can not to accidentally maim himself so he ended up lowballing how much he can withstand.

That's not too strange for this story really.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ripoff posted:

"Hngh finally... a worthy opponent"

This is how I do my gym sessions, I heartily recommend it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Silver2195 posted:

Pretty sure that was me.
Good job.
:cheerdoge:

Ripoff posted:

I like how Deku just pulls a 60% power and speed increase out of his rear end. It'd be like running against Usain Bolt in the Olympics, him grunting "Hngh finally... a worthy opponent" and sprinting at 44mph when you thought he was only capable of 27.

That weightlifter over there that just lifted 579 lbs? He yells "watch this, fucker" over to you and spontaneously lifts 925lbs because he thought you wanted a challenge.

The proper reaction should be for secondary characters to poo poo their pants when the kid decides to get real.

I feel like this is an important thing to remember, this isn't just 5% to 8%, the others don't know that he's only using 5% of the power. So all they see is him powering up 60%. Which is insane.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Mindblast posted:

That's not too strange for this story really.

Don't get me wrong, I love this comic! I honestly like how everyone is constantly underestimating the kid when, he could probably turn their faces (and consequently his legs) into a fine mist if he wants to. He's been the underdog this whole time, I just hope we get treated to a scene where an antagonist realizes how absurdly powerful he is and gets into a panic over it. As far as I recall, there really hasn't been anything in the likes of such.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Deku will be unable to control his power, and will end up killing his friend and rival as a result. This will teach him an important lesson about the responsible use of power, and the importance of talking out your problems, instead of punching them out.

And then, because this comic is inspired in part by Western Comics, in a few chapters they'll find a contrived way to bring Bakugou back to life.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kick his rear end Deku!

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Good job.

I feel like this is an important thing to remember, this isn't just 5% to 8%, the others don't know that he's only using 5% of the power. So all they see is him powering up 60%. Which is insane.

Oh lord, that makes sense. Now obviously Bakugou is going to go 'You were holding back last time we fought' and instant Sasuke, because that's literally what it looks like.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Good job.

Everyone in Class A have seen Deku using 100% of his power. That was the only way he used his power until just recently. From their point of view Deku powered down to the manageable 5% and Bakugou just saw him move slightly back toward 100%.

Remember that Bakugou has already fought 100% Deku, so the 5% to 8% shift isn't much to him either.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Rhonne posted:

I can't believe Deku killed Bakugou.

Shocking but I've made peace with it. I hope bakugous mom isn't too sad.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

Everyone in Class A have seen Deku using 100% of his power. That was the only way he used his power until just recently. From their point of view Deku powered down to the manageable 5% and Bakugou just saw him move slightly back toward 100%.

Remember that Bakugou has already fought 100% Deku, so the 5% to 8% shift isn't much to him either.

I think even before he spread the power out, Deku was only using a small percentage of O4A.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kuroyama posted:

I think even before he spread the power out, Deku was only using a small percentage of O4A.

Pretty sure Gran Torrino talked to him about just going balls out on every move he made with One For All. The combination of never having a quirk before and idolizing Detroit Smashing All Might meant that he went full force every time.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Red Mike posted:

Oh lord, that makes sense. Now obviously Bakugou is going to go 'You were holding back last time we fought' and instant Sasuke, because that's literally what it looks like.

He already put it together that Deku has All-Mights quirk before the fight even started, Bakugou understands exactly the scale that Deku can operate on because he was as least as big a fan of the number 1. He knows the same thing that broke Endeavor back in the day, and that is that One For All is an completely utterly insane power boost that no one can approach with resorting to poo poo like All For One stacking every physical enhancement quirk he could find. Running completely on the final fumes of his quirk and secretly cripplingly injured All-Might crossed a city in seconds and slugged it out with a dude who can annihilate a couple city blocks in a blink.

100% Deku would move like a DBZ character, and Bakugou would have to blow poo poo up like one to stand a chance as an actual rival. It's one of the things that makes me root for him, because Deku hasn't genuinely felt like the underdog since chapter 2.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gyges posted:

Bakugou has never actually fought 100% Deku, because Deku never actually used OFA against him. Deku used OFA to win their battle by punching through the ceiling but not to actually attack Bakugou in any way, because using 100% OFA against Bakugou with Deku's lovely level of control would lead to chunky salsa Kacchan sprayed across the walls. Most of their previous fight consisted of Deku using normal teenager strength martial arts to try to disable/dissuade Bakugou.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Gyges posted:

They all know what he is fully capable of, but they are used to seeing him fighting at a constant 5% - so seeing him at a constant 8% will be a 60% increase in his passive power level, which is nothing to scoff at.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hes part of the Uravity Airlines flyers club
Apparently has a shitload of miles stored ip.

Somebody repost the "gently caress YOU DEKU I'M GOING TO THE MOON" fan art

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Can't wait for a flashback so we can see the OP bullshit All Might could do in his prime.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Edit: Is there anything to suggest that Deku before he learned full cowl was really using 100% of his power anyway? I just kinda assumed it was as strong as he could muster rather than the full 100%

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's pretty clear that it's only what he could muster because he was able to push harder when he was desperate.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat son, I just read the new chapter. one of the best in a long long time

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
IIRC Deku was using 5% the entire time until Gran Torino, and the reason it was wrecking his limbs was because he concentrated all that power into too small an area. Gran Torino's training helped him realize that he needed to A) spread it to his whole body, and B) have it activated continuously instead of in bursts.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Edit: Is there anything to suggest that Deku before he learned full cowl was really using 100% of his power anyway? I just kinda assumed it was as strong as he could muster rather than the full 100%

yea, my assumption is that 8% of the power is 8% of what Deku can actually use, not 8% of All-Might's power. Deku giving it all never seemed as strong as All-Might

basically I think that as he trains and grows stronger he'll be capable of tapping into more and more of his quirk's strength that he can't possibly use now

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Caidin posted:

100% Deku would move like a DBZ character, and Bakugou would have to blow poo poo up like one to stand a chance as an actual rival. It's one of the things that makes me root for him, because Deku hasn't genuinely felt like the underdog since chapter 2.

Honestly, that's big for me yeah. Like he was absolutely an underdog at first, but after a while he just seems...well, he's extremely competent, has an amazing power and has literally no ceiling for his growth. Everyone else has a hard limit. They can sorta improve their quirks, but in the world as it has been presented so far they cannot have like DBZ style training methods that will make them improve like crazy. Everyone, except Deku, seems more or less locked into their current power level(give or take actual battle experience and stuff). Like if Bakugou can't blow up a literal mountain right now, he'll never be able to, but if Deku can't kick down a mountain now, he might be able to in the future.

Deku was a pretty fun underdog while catching up to everyone else, but now that he has..well, everyone else in his class feels like they have harder hurdles now in comparison haha.

This is actually something I'm concerned about :

Right now, the world has basically been built around no one having ridiculous power jumps save for Deku. Will this ever change at some point? I hope it doesn't. I don't want to see Bakugou learning a Kamehameboom and--actually that's a lie I totally want that.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Deku will be unable to control his power, and will end up killing his friend and rival as a result. This will teach him an important lesson about the responsible use of power, and the importance of talking out your problems, instead of punching them out.

And then, because this comic is inspired in part by Western Comics, in a few chapters they'll find a contrived way to bring Bakugou back to life.

They'll have to go on a quest to find all seven dragon balls to bring him back to life.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If the writing is good then everyone else won't need power ups to have interesting arcs and growth or tense fights.

The writing will probably be good, and I highly doubt everyone else will be tossed aside for our Lord and savior Deku considering it is being shown what the downsides to the sort of centralization in All Might's prime are.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

For a while now Deku's been the guy everyone in the class looks up to, at least in regards to heroics. Iida, Uraraka, Todoroki, and a few of the others have pretty much said they see him as the person to aim for, or the person they need to become more like. Doesn't mean he's better than anyone though or that he has nothing to improve or struggles to overcome. He still needs to work just as hard as everyone else to keep up, but he's not the bottom of the class and certainly not an underdog.

By that same vein though, Bakugou is a crazy prodigy who has excelled at just about everything he's ever put his mind to. Won the Sports Festival, and in the top 3 of overall grades in the class. Dude is insanely talented and puts a lot of effort in to continue to improve. He's not an underdog either, and since like the beginning of the series has been the strongest student in the school.

They're both pretty strong, and are only going to get stronger. I couldn't say either is like better than the other though, although Deku's the better person which gives him an advantage I guess. Bakugou needs to grow more on the attitude front.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Isn't the arc they're in right now actually about growing their powers so they can do crazier stuff with them?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They're both pretty strong, and are only going to get stronger. I couldn't say either is like better than the other though, although Deku's the better person which gives him an advantage I guess. Bakugou needs to grow more on the attitude front.

On that note I will say that I was a bit disappointed that the exam's rescue portion didn't dock Deku a bit for being not terribly efficient at rescue. I think that it would have furthered a theme that has been kind of in the background that Deku is too focused on the savior ideal of All Might that it leads to him breaking himself and can hinder his decision making. I felt like it was building to that conclusion, with him wasting a lot of time on one kid vs what the others were doing by working together or potentially Bakugou's judgment of where he was really needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

On that note I will say that I was a bit disappointed that the exam's rescue portion didn't dock Deku a bit for being not terribly efficient at rescue. I think that it would have furthered a theme that has been kind of in the background that Deku is too focused on the savior ideal of All Might that it leads to him breaking himself and can hinder his decision making. I felt like it was building to that conclusion, with him wasting a lot of time on one kid vs what the others were doing by working together or potentially Bakugou's judgment of where he was really needed.

He only got like 65 in the rescue portion or so right? So I think we're kinda supposed to assume he's got some problems with it.

But honestly I was a bit disappointed with rescue section in general. I was hoping to actually see more of how Bakugou performed as a hero when it didn't involve punching things, or see Uraraka perform in a scenario that her powers seemed really suited for. It was an interesting concept that hadn't been explored much in the series yet, but most of the focus was on dealing with a "villain" attack, and outside of Todoroki and Deku most the class only had a few pages dedicated to their performance.