Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have a very small hard drive, and I would rather force myself to use it rather than being able to tab back and forth. Also I figure it's a good learning experience if I have to fix any initial problems between Fedora and the laptop's hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Like, as illustrations for documentation? That's not what you mean, is it? :eng99:

Non-professional Linux experience will be great once I finally get off my rear end, back up my laptop to my external, and install Fedora rather than just occasionally using it in a Virtualbox VM. Actually, about that, can someone recommend a free cross-platform RDP alternative for home use?

I also need to get some practical Python experience, because I forget lessons within a week if I haven't actually done anything with them. Clearly I need to buy a Raspberry Pi for every conceivable purpose in my household.

Get a VPS instead and do stuff with it (or a home server and expose it to the inet thru your router). Time spent learning wireless config, X, gnome, keybindings and stuff is irrelevant professionally and personally, where all of the cool stuff is server based imho. Every laptop I've put Fedora on has been rock solid out of the box for what it's worth, but that's a remote box to the stuff worth learning

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So Fedora on the laptop and setup a CentOS VPS on my desktop? I'm not sure whether my desktop's storage drive is 5400RPM or 7200. Can I give it 20-30gb on my SSD for the OS and a couple hundred on my storage drive? How big a swap file does the server need?

I was joking about the raspberry pi for now, I need to save up money to move in a month or two. We're not even giving each other Christmas presents this year to save money.

Career wise, would I need strong shell skills for Linux positions, or is Python going to be able to handle everything like PowerShell can?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 23, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So Fedora on the laptop and setup a CentOS VPS on my desktop? I'm not sure whether my desktop's storage drive is 5400RPM or 7200. Can I give it 20-30gb on my SSD for the OS and a couple hundred on my storage drive? How big a swap file does the server need?

I was joking about the raspberry pi for now, I need to save up money to move in a month or two. We're not even giving each other Christmas presents this year to save money.

Career wise, would I need strong shell skills for Linux positions, or is Python going to be able to handle everything like PowerShell can?

Python is definitely not able to handle everything powershell can.

I don't really know what you mean by setting up a Centos VPS on your desktop.

Just buy an intel nuc, put ESXi on it and then you can make all the Linux VMs you want in addition to doing some virtualization. I doubt you would actually benefit in anyway by installing Linux just for the sake of it. You need an actual reason to do it. Maybe that's as simple as using core utils to parse documents or having a better SSH client than putty.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Edit: /\/\/\/\ I use my VM cluster for transmission for downloading, a Samba instance for data management, a puppet server to make configuring everything easier, and spin other things up as needed. When I switch to the NUCs so I don't feel like poo poo running the server all the time(a 10 year old Sun runs a hella power bill) I'm going to add DNS, maybe DHCP, and probably NTP. Then I'll start looking at containerizing some of the above to slim down the memory footprints.

I did just spin up a VM to host a webpage that points to the interfaces for the rest and hold a shutdown button so I can turn off the server from my phone. That was fun.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My VMs are about 8gb each, and thats with massive elbow room. I do a shared partition of a 500gb drive between them for data, but the OS itself is pretty tiny.

Whats wrong with a rpi? I hear that the Intel NUCs are great for running a VM cluster off of, and I plan on replacing my existing server with a handful of those and a NAS.

You need strong shell skills, Powershell more closely maps to Bash than it does Python, conceptually. Python skills are something that they don't tend to care about in level 1 admin roles, and even at level 2 I frequently have needed to convince my team/management that a script would be a good thing, instead of it just being taken for granted that a script would improve matters.

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 11, 2016

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
A VPS is a server you rent for ~$10 a month, already exposed to the internet and hopefully has a static IP so you can buy a domain name and serve up web traffic. I was trying to say that the cool stuff in linux (in this posters humble opinion) is database and server stuff, especially web servers, so you want one that's always online. If you get a home server you can do the same stuff with dynamic DNS and your router

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have a very small hard drive, and I would rather force myself to use it rather than being able to tab back and forth. Also I figure it's a good learning experience if I have to fix any initial problems between Fedora and the laptop's hardware.

You could always just free up a bit of space and make a little partition to install it on, though I'd stress backing up anything important as I've majorly hosed some of my hardware with OS and bootloader shenanigans (the best kind of learning!)

You may joke about the Pi but a zero and the bits needed only costs peanuts, I used one as a dirty Wordpress LAMP stack along with all sorts of headless messing around with. I use two properly at the moment, one blocks ads if you use it for DNS and acts as a VPN, the other is a baby monitor you can plug cameras into.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want to get off of 7 before it stops being supported and I don't want to go to 10. I have 10 on my desktop because :pcgaming:, but the starting itself back up creeps me out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Windows 10 is actually really good, don't be weird

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You should be very comfortable on the shell for everyday tasks like changing directories, selecting files by regex pattern, etc. I find myself calling out to shell a lot in my python scripts using subprocess(). I rarely write pure bash scripts over 25 lines- python handles parsing text incredibly well.

You can replace a lot of shell commands with Ansible modules, but that's overkill for one-off tasks. Knowing what commands Ansible is running in the background helps you predict its behaviour.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Forced updates and being able to start up my computer is taking away my control of my computer. I don't like that. I guess you wouldn't understand, though. Living in Canada you've never tasted true freedom :911:

Also, I used my only 7 license key already. I lost the one I got off of MSDNAA, so I used the one off my laptop. And the free upgrade period is over anyway.

I know rpis are pretty much nothing, but I'm just not spending anything on myself for now. I haven't even bought a $5 soldering iron I've been wanting.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 11, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also, I used my only 7 license key already. I lost the one I got off of MSDNAA, so I used the one off my laptop. And the free upgrade period is over anyway.

Boot up from a Win 10 installer DVD or USB, start a fresh install, enter your Win 7 key when asked for one. You'll get a license, no questions asked.
Officially free upgrades are over, but actually they aren't.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Forced updates and being able to start up my computer is taking away my control of my computer. I don't like that. I guess you wouldn't understand, though. Living in Canada you've never tasted true freedom :911:

I know rpis are pretty much nothing, but I'm just not spending anything on myself for now. I haven't even bought a $5 soldering iron I've been wanting.

Yeah the forced updates / reboots have really pissed me off. I've also had some random update wonkeyness gently caress up my system, trying to rollback hosed it worse.

Luckily there are things you can do to stop the updates and forced reboots, I just wish I didn't have to go out of my way to do it.

I haven't really seen much of anything in W10 that I deem to be worth upgrading for.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm fine with forced updates, because of how many vulnerabilities and exploits there are to patch, people shouldn't be allowed to put it off. Enterprises are entirely different, when you control patching via SCCM, etc, I'm just talking about personal use. The security features (Device Guard, Credential Guard aka awesome guard and you should get it for this reason alone) and kernel improvements are great in Windows 10, completely outweighs the negatives.

also I hate freedom as mentioned before so suck on this yanks *points 2 dilz*

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PBS posted:

I haven't really seen much of anything in W10 that I deem to be worth upgrading for.

All the things worth upgrading for are backend things. W10 is significantly more secure, and the forced updates are a good thing.

If you update like you should be it won't do forced reboots anyway.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

theperminator posted:

It should if your storage device and servers support it? Isn't that the whole point of DCB?

Also, any serious storage vendor will have a HCL for supported switches, which you should follow anyway if you expect them to provide you with any useful kind of support:

The main point of DCB was to enable FCoE. Some of those benefits like PFC can be used with iSCSI as well, but it requires end to end support from servers to storage which isn't as common for IP based connectivity.

And if we're talking about smaller customers they probably aren't springing for end to end 10GbE networking anyway, so DCB is irrelevant. If they were on 10GbE they wouldn't be overrunning their port buffers anyway.

And Ethernet switches aren't the sort of thing that make it into a storage vendor HCL. You may get a recommendation, or some things to avoid, but it's not going to be exhaustive or binding. There are just too many possible switches to QA all of them.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

RFC2324 posted:

All the things worth upgrading for are backend things. W10 is significantly more secure, and the forced updates are a good thing.

If you update like you should be it won't do forced reboots anyway.

Bullshit. I update daily and for some reason my machine started rebooting and updatin while I was away for 10 minutes. Lost some work due to that, not much but it sucks.

Updates are automatically planned for evening night time and this was the middle of the day.

First thing that annoyed me about W10 so far.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LochNessMonster posted:

Bullshit. I update daily and for some reason my machine started rebooting and updatin while I was away for 10 minutes. Lost some work due to that, not much but it sucks.

Updates are automatically planned for evening night time and this was the middle of the day.

Ok, thats weird... The only time its ever done more than notify me that it was going to sometime in the next day or 2 was when I ignored that notification, and then last night I got a pop-up saying I had 15 minutes, do you want to reschedule?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

I've never had this happen. Have you defined update settings/times?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

The second CLAM DOWN post in a week that I agree with. What's happening.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

Ok, thats weird... The only time its ever done more than notify me that it was going to sometime in the next day or 2 was when I ignored that notification, and then last night I got a pop-up saying I had 15 minutes, do you want to reschedule?
Windows 10's automatic rebooting is wildly inconsistent.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

The second CLAM DOWN post in a week that I agree with. What's happening.

:smugmrgw:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Windows 10's automatic rebooting is wildly inconsistent.

My tablet absolutely refuses to auto reboot. There's been so many times I've left it sitting in the charger overnight, and next time I pick it up it informs me it absolutely had to reboot right now. But you just had 10 hours you could have done it within!

Then today I noticed I didn't have Active Hours configured, maybe setting that up will make it actually reboot on its own.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never had this happen. Have you defined update settings/times?

Yeah, it's still set at 11pm. Never happened before, I've had the popups plenty of times before around 11, so I'm just treating it as a one off for now.

All together I'm pretty happy with W10. Never been a big fan, but W10 is the best desktop OS Microsoft produced so far.

I guess it's silly but I really love Bash on Ubuntu on Windows, even though it does have some bugs. I'm booting my Linux VM a lot less often these days.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

I guess it's silly but I really love Bash on Ubuntu on Windows, even though it does have some bugs. I'm booting my Linux VM a lot less often these days.

Check out this stuff, sounds like you might like it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

LochNessMonster posted:

This. I only boot my fedora VM when I need to use virt-manager for something nowadays.

Maybe I should install an x server on my laptop... hmm.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

well hot drat I enabled Bash on Ubuntu on Windows (BoUoW?) but never used it because it seemed inconvenient to go outside my workflow and open it up. Now that I know I can pull it up in a powershell window I will most definitely be using this more often.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Chickenwalker posted:

I've been trying to think of a simple way to do this for a while. Could I create a GPO with specific Windows Firewall values to manage what IPs a client can and cannot access? So for instance if I have two separate physical networks I want to make one physical network with two logical networks running over it, could I then control who is able to access what network by their login and the GPOs applied to it? Could I blacklist an entire subnet, or even all traffic except whitelisted IPs?

Do that in your switches, not via GPO

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

well hot drat I enabled Bash on Ubuntu on Windows (BoUoW?) but never used it because it seemed inconvenient to go outside my workflow and open it up. Now that I know I can pull it up in a powershell window I will most definitely be using this more often.

There have been a lot of good things out of post-Ballmer Microsoft, and PowerShell having bash and going open source is definitely one of the more significant ones!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I run powershell on my Mac cause gently caress having to login to windows.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
if only it was useful and not missing 3/4ths of the functions & methods. :smith:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CLAM DOWN posted:

That is indeed interesting. I don't use powershell all that much so and usually just have the bash shell open and fire up a powershell window when I need it. But that's mostly because I didn't know you could open it IN powershell as well.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Methanar posted:

Python is definitely not able to handle everything powershell can.

Based on his question I would disagree with your answer. While powershell will run on linux, if you're gunning for a linux sysadmin position, you're better off shoring up python and bash skills over powershell.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DigitalMocking posted:

Do that in your switches, not via GPO

Sounds like they want it to happen on a per-user basis. Is there such a thing as per-user 802.1x where you can drop people into different VLANs based on the currently logged in user?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

I run powershell on my Mac cause gently caress having to login to windows.

How? Parallels?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

1000101 posted:

Based on his question I would disagree with your answer. While powershell will run on linux, if you're gunning for a linux sysadmin position, you're better off shoring up python and bash skills over powershell.

Agreed, you really need to know bash at the very least if you want to be a Linux sysadmin, some basic python is a requirement for most roles. Knowing powershell is going to be irrelevant to most Linux shops at least right now.

Thanks Ants posted:

Sounds like they want it to happen on a per-user basis. Is there such a thing as per-user 802.1x where you can drop people into different VLANs based on the currently logged in user?

Yep, there are radius attributes you can use to set the users vlan.
For example http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-guide/fastiron-08030b-securityguide/GUID-A3ECA53E-7692-4088-A035-89048D0D46F5.html

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

1000101 posted:

Reading over the question again you're right. I completely misinterpreted that python was being suggested as an alternative to powershell for Windows specific administration, like exchange or azure.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

Windows specific administration, like ... azure.
come on man :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Thanks Ants posted:

Windows IPsec rules can use user-based filtering with Kerberos keys which would bring authentication down to the process instead of the entire machine, but you'll have all the prereqs and considerations/management of Kerberos auth and IPsec to deal with.